Lets Go, Bring It!!! (one per corp)
38%
Lets Go, Bring It!!! (one per corp)
38%

Total votes: 29

Merlin

Capital Planets...

Post by Merlin » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:01 am

Ok...so this one is a little less conventional than my last two...don't know what kind of reaction I'm going to get, but i've been playing the game for a pretty good while...and wanted to get a good sense of the gameplay before posting my ideas to the forum...the defence indicator in holdings and the 4th artifact slot (inactive) were well (and respectfully) received...I'm hopeing for the same...please bear with me...

My fellow captains...my proposal is this...

The availability of ONE Capital Planet for each corporation... belonging exclusively to the CEO of the corporation...to serve as a base of operations and safe haven to the corpmembers. It makes sense that every Empire needs a capital (primary) system, and specifically a capital planet...a base of operations...whatever you want to call it. I suggest that only CEO's be able to build and own the planet through the purchase of a Capital dome...(only sold to CEOs)...or dome upgrade...

An alternative would be that every player is entitled to one Capital dome purchase/construction...

The following can be subject to debate, however, i suggest that the dome be unique, in that it allows for double of everything...population, laser/flak/mine defenses (250), taxation and bank holding limits, exp and rep generation, etc. I suggest a limit of one...a) becasue every empire should only have one Capital, and b) so the invaders don't get any additional advantages...For instance, should a Capital planet ever fall...the biodome should revert back to a normal state and become just like any other planet...also...all remaining flaks and lasers would disapear (self destruct)...allowing the invaded player the opportunity to build him/herself another capital planet...the only advantage for invaders could be possibly double the experience gain and rep loss/gain...also, given the added difficulty... possibly a reward of some kind...(like NPC kills...Capitols taken)...the same would go when one corp with a Capital planet is absorbed by another with a Capital planet...unless everyone thinks that each player should have their own capital planet...anyway, its late and i'm crazy tired...i wanted to add more, but i'll let you guys digest this one for a while...take care all.

Peace
Last edited by Merlin on Sat May 17, 2008 11:22 am, edited 10 times in total.

Luumukukko

Post by Luumukukko » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:33 am

Sound's good to me,

It would be cool if every corp would have capital planet somewhere in middle of their empires.
so If you would invade capital planet from some corp, all of that corp's planet's would change to 0%military and prolly solar off for 24hours ;)

That would make it really effective when you with luck happen to find and invade a capital planet from some corp, so for finding that you would get a good advantage for 24hours to invade them.

Sound's good eh? (or not :P)

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:07 am

Luumukukko wrote:Sound's good to me,

It would be cool if every corp would have capital planet somewhere in middle of their empires.
so If you would invade capital planet from some corp, all of that corp's planet's would change to 0%military and prolly solar off for 24hours ;)

That would make it really effective when you with luck happen to find and invade a capital planet from some corp, so for finding that you would get a good advantage for 24hours to invade them.

wow would that ever piss off some of the top players. I like it lol

Tux

Post by Tux » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:10 am

MuTAnT wrote:

wow would that ever piss off some of the top players. I like it lol
Aren't the abilities to sell solars/turn down military/feed nukes to an invader enough methods for your corp-mates to betray you for you to be happy?

mentalbutcher

Post by mentalbutcher » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:11 am

Even better, as a ceo being able to appoint one planet as the capital planet of the corp? Cost like five mill in construction cost and maybe 1000 of each ressource or something of the like? As you said, double on everything, pollution, people, defences, max holdings, max tax and more intrest. Sort of a money bomb for the corp to stash cash and the like, and a safe heaven for the corp, so they can regroup if all planets are lost, i like the idea :)

PS. oh and the planet cannot be made private, and just as the flagship, you can't resign or give ceo status away once built.

mentalbutcher

Post by mentalbutcher » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:14 am

Or even better, the loss of a capital sets morale to -150 on all cols? pretty much has same effect XD

Luumukukko

Post by Luumukukko » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:19 am

mentalbutcher wrote:

Or even better, the loss of a capital sets morale to -150 on all cols? pretty much has same effect XD
yeah like that too :twisted:
but the idea was that those solars and military is only 24hours down unless someone put's them on in the meantime, but all cols morale to -150 would prolly be too much of a loss..

mentalbutcher

Post by mentalbutcher » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:32 am

Luumukukko wrote: yeah like that too :twisted:
but the idea was that those solars and military is only 24hours down unless someone put's them on in the meantime, but all cols morale to -150 would prolly be too much of a loss..
Well then just throw it to -50 or -75 that usually only takes 24 hours to repair if willingly.

Tux

Post by Tux » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:45 am

mentalbutcher wrote:
Well then just throw it to -50 or -75 that usually only takes 24 hours to repair if willingly.
My colonies are all 1500 unity when they are done building. Even if you stop taxing them and let them "repair willingly" they would take over 3 weeks to go back to fixed, more if they have had a disaster.

Did you guys not read my comment about that you would get hugged in a heart beat if someone payed one of your corp-mates enough to disclose the location if your capital world?

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:53 am

Wouldnt want too many extra contingecies...like effects to moral on other colonies...sweet and simple...or as much as possible...and a capital can change locations. As was mentioned...it can be an upgrade with an extra cash fee...the CEO would simply choose a new capital location if his/her old location becomes vulnerable, or if he/she found a better system/planet...imagine a paradise capital...ugh... :shock:

I prefer limited one per corp...but one per individual would be cool too...that way you will always have a safe place to regroup and sleep...imagine a 6000+ defended greenhouse superwide as your capital planet...It would make corporations more powerful...not as easily whiped out if it always has a capital planet fully stocked and ready for action. And as i mentioned...adding a capitals taken indicator in people's profiles and double exp for invades would still keep invaders interested...increasing the rewards to invaders, as well as to planet owners when invaders die their horrible horrible deaths.

Thanks for your input guys/girls...please keep them coming, spread the word, and take a look at my other two research suggestions if you havn't already.

Peace

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:23 am

Tux wrote:
mentalbutcher wrote:
My colonies are all 1500 unity when they are done building. Even if you stop taxing them and let them "repair willingly" they would take over 3 weeks to go back to fixed, more if they have had a disaster.

Did you guys not read my comment about that you would get hugged in a heart beat if someone payed one of your corp-mates enough to disclose the location if your capital world?
I totally agree with Tux on this one...my basic idea was to increase the security and the sustainability of empires and their leaders...not to provide hardship...sure it would suck to lose your capital...but your empire would survive, and you'd be able to build another right away. Your people on other planets may even be happy to "bid" to be the next capital...hypothetically speaking of course... :wink:

Anyway, its a strategic element that i dont think would reduce the balance of the game, as everyone could potentially have one...and while they would be harder to conquor, they would still provide appeal for invaders seeking prestige...

Peace

mentalbutcher

Post by mentalbutcher » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:32 am

Merlin wrote: I prefer limited one per corp...but one per individual would be cool too...that way you will always have a safe place to regroup and sleep...imagine a 6000+ defended greenhouse superwide as your capital planet...It would make corporations more powerful...not as easily whiped out if it always has a capital planet fully stocked and ready for action. And as i mentioned...adding a capitals taken indicator in people's profiles and double exp for invades would still keep invaders interested...increasing the rewards to invaders, as well as to planet owners when invaders die their horrible horrible deaths.
It should be limited to 1 per corp as seth mentions, or there would be too many of them. Once a col is upgraded to capital, it cannot be revoked, sold or deleted, only way to get it away would be when the col was taken, and then the col would be downgraded(stipped of the capital and all of it's bonuses).
Tux wrote: Did you guys not read my comment about that you would get hugged in a heart beat if someone payed one of your corp-mates enough to disclose the location if your capital world?
Corp capital will be standing double as strong as any known colony with double the lasers and possibly a faster or double solars. And a possibility of having 5000 people manning the guns, where only 2500 is the current max for regular cols. You think it's an easy take even if the col were revealed?

Tux

Post by Tux » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:20 pm

mentalbutcher wrote:
Merlin wrote: I prefer limited one per corp...but one per individual would be cool too...that way you will always have a safe place to regroup and sleep...imagine a 6000+ defended greenhouse superwide as your capital planet...It would make corporations more powerful...not as easily whiped out if it always has a capital planet fully stocked and ready for action. And as i mentioned...adding a capitals taken indicator in people's profiles and double exp for invades would still keep invaders interested...increasing the rewards to invaders, as well as to planet owners when invaders die their horrible horrible deaths.
It should be limited to 1 per corp as seth mentions, or there would be too many of them. Once a col is upgraded to capital, it cannot be revoked, sold or deleted, only way to get it away would be when the col was taken, and then the col would be downgraded(stipped of the capital and all of it's bonuses).
Tux wrote: Did you guys not read my comment about that you would get hugged in a heart beat if someone payed one of your corp-mates enough to disclose the location if your capital world?
Corp capital will be standing double as strong as any known colony with double the lasers and possibly a faster or double solars. And a possibility of having 5000 people manning the guns, where only 2500 is the current max for regular cols. You think it's an easy take even if the col were revealed?
Yes.

Elemayo

Post by Elemayo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:29 pm

Yes, as far as the idea of an advanced planet with one per corp I like it. It would add more strategy to the game.

As far as when it gets taken, it having an entire empire wide effect wouldn't be good for larger empires. This planet's weapon factory should have a limit of 1000, but if taken all the weapons wouldn't reduce to 500, they would simply not be allowed to build past 500 like a normal planet. This would add more motivation to find an enemy corp's capital planet for the possible weapon stockpiles.

Also, no one should be allowed to change any of the settings or alter the planet in anyway. For example, they wont be able to change any of the sliders, or sell any buildings. But corpmates would be allowed to take Resources, and Weapons from the planet. Only the CEO is allowed to sell buildings/set it to more exp construction/etc.

I think the CEO should be able to be changed within a corp if the corp possesses a Capital Planet. The CEO within corps change all the time to allow people in the corp to move corp defences, take over for the day, etc. In the Capital Planet's case, if the CEO were to change, the capital planet's ownership would change to that of the new CEO. If the corp were to be disbanded the capital planet would downgrade to that of a normal planet, as if it were invaded.

Drifter101

Post by Drifter101 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:41 pm

I like the idea, would especially help out people who didn't own many colonies.

but to make things more straightforward I'd say just use the standard biodomes and regular 125 turret defence, just give the turrets more hit points and maybe a faster/stronger solar canon.

There should be a biodome screen command /makecapital to set your captial, and you could change your capital - Just make it so theres a delay or some cost involved otherwise it could be jsut used to enhance whatever colony was under attack.

I think all players should get a capital not just the CEO - there's enough plaents in the galaxy so capitals would still be rare even at 1 per player.

The land warning should tell you it's a capital colony so you know why the turrets are insanely strong against your nukes.

xi

Post by xi » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:42 pm

the high level people wont like this idea, b/c it evens them out w/ everyone else...I mean if a bunch of people have 1 col, they make it their main home planet, and that means they cant be attacked by the high ranked ppl, so all the high ranked people will have to work harder to take planets, and work harder to defend there cols...

SteelReserve

Post by SteelReserve » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:45 am

xi wrote:the high level people wont like this idea, b/c it evens them out w/ everyone else...I mean if a bunch of people have 1 col, they make it their main home planet, and that means they cant be attacked by the high ranked ppl, so all the high ranked people will have to work harder to take planets, and work harder to defend there cols...

I think you’re wrong here. The advanced players like an idea that enhance the game and doesn’t tilt its balance. They would probably like the idea of a centralized base (one per Corp.).

As for the capital planets it could be a simple Bio4 that upgrades you to 8k colonists’ option available on all planets you own UNTIL you create one. And if you happen to take another capitol the one you already have still stands and the one you took downgrades to a bio3.
It would be nice if the capitol gave you the ability to deploy lasers in space say instead of extra on the planet that had NPC kill capability (but only in that system) so they don’t get taken down so fast.

xi

Post by xi » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:24 pm

i'm all for it...i think it would help weaker players, i didnt say it would upset the balance of the game, it would balance it more...i think a capital planet should have 2 domes, so double everything, turrets solars, ppl...EVERYTHING, and if they are captured the 2nd dome should be instantly entirely sold, all buildings and recources, and weapons should carry into the other dome...along with the cash...

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:26 pm

The Bio4 upgrade suggestion would probably be the easiest way to implement...excellent idea. Any it would not off balance anything, and any planet...no matter how well defended can be taken...maybe not solo...and not easily...but it would give the larger empires/more exp players something new to invade, and the smaller/newer players...more sustainability...like i suggested...points for every capital taken...just as in player and npc kills...downgraded immediately upon capture...or perhaps an option to make it your new capital...(i.e. in the event you capture a paradise capital...)...thus downgrading the original planet...as for defences...i dont know how that would work, given that the planet will have double the lasers and half would disapear...but perhaps...a code so they all go back to the WF and the defenses need to be re layed down...anyway...I think this could really work. If you guys have ever played risk, there is a similar game component, where all the players have a capital that needs to be taken and affords additional benefits...Its just more strategy. Peace

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Sat May 17, 2008 10:12 am

This idea seemed to have been getting really positive responses but it ended up falling short at some point... do people still think it's a good idea?

Merlin

Jain

Post by Jain » Sat May 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Yeh...its cool

OpsO

Post by OpsO » Mon May 19, 2008 8:56 am

It's a nice idea as far as goes.

BUT It adds another advantage to the big corps. More defenses wont stop any planet being taken by the good players, which is fair enough.

So some limitations to back it up.

1/ All players get one - it is the first colony you found and it has some of the advantages listed, maybe 50% extra in all things.

2/ You can move it to a new location for the sort of costs indicated.

3/ A corporation can build a corp capital.

4/ For down sides try something like this - from the Saving Starport thread in the Tavern (Ye I know it's my post and I am sure there is a way to quote it properly...)

[quote="OpsO"]The home world is a nice idea (give it some benefits, better moral or production speed perhaps) as is the introduction of new planets / systems as the server gets older. (Giving new characters more cash is not one of the good ones in my opinion, there is plenty to be made. The same people would still beg.)

So here is my 2p worth:

To limit the dominance of single corps and reduce the cash available a reduction in the tax take from colonies could be introduced. As you get more colonies and they get further from the home world then less and less income can be generated. Worst case a corp owns 50% (say) of the planets in a universe none of them can generate any cash, less than 5% and they generate cash as now with a sliding scale in-between. (It could be 10% and 1% I don't know how the holdings stack up now). Combine this with a further penalty for distance for home world and it starts to limit the area a corp can cover and makes taking a colony "just because you can" a little less attractive to the top corps as it can effect the empire as a whole.

If there is a desire to reduce the cash for the top players and corps then why not add an in-game tax of 1 or 2 % of income for each contractor and if possible an even bigger cost for a NAP.[/quote]

In short the basic idea makes the powerful more so and that causes servers to stagnate. Limiting the size of the powerful Corps means there are more contenders for the top slot on a server and to win they have to be active and fight each. This gives the middle ranking chaps a chance to fight amongst themselves because the large ones can not afford to swallow them up and the smaller ones a chance to pick up the pieces and try to build.

It would lead to a different sort of game, but maybe a more balanced one, where more players stay longer.

Spadejack

Post by Spadejack » Thu May 22, 2008 9:14 pm

Great ideia, implement it

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:52 am

bumped because topic needs more votes...