NO cus well have too many Newbs!
No votes
Yes so well have more newbs to kill!
6%

Total votes: 16

phantom421

IDEA Starport in store shelves?!

Post by phantom421 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:33 pm

Ive thoguht...wat if Starport could be sold in store shelves liek example WoW!! i think that it shloud be sold in MSRP around 20$ (plus tax). the package should also come with atleast an amount of admiral tokens since u paid 20 bucks for the game :? doind this also can make ppl that would do anything for admiral tokens just buy the game off the store and instal the game already pre-packaged!!! i dunno but it s agood way to give money to the creators of Starport some cash so they can make starport better with the money they recieve!!! also i have another idea instead of using Visa or Mastercard to get ad.tokens why cant we just mail money with the accont name and stuff or money orders cus u see not everyone has a visa or mastercard (like me) and its very difficult for me to get ad.tokens bekz thatsd the only way and in P3 not alot of ppl selll tokens and if they do its like 1k=50mil and i dont have alot of cash!!! :idea: :idea: :idea:

Stapler

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:36 pm

Not dissing SGE, but I honestly don't think it's worth $20 USD.
PTT is donation-run, currently, since they're not charging monthly (then there would be little to no players left) or by box. Maybe buying a starter kit cheap. Cause remember, putting out SGE on shelves means you need a factory to package SGE discs, etc, then there's sponsorship costs (the store will charge you for putting it on their shelves) and such, Toonces and PTT would lose more than they make.

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:00 pm

My god no! Soo not worth it I mean since the latest patch I can't even play now. I posted recently that my faith in the dev team was completely restored well now with this new patch I have changed my mind permanently...

Tux

Post by Tux » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:51 pm

Didn't Furiae make a topic like this... and if I remember correctly, CC shot it down.

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:24 am

Maniacus, too, methinks. Some other from the Kick donkey forums as well or something. But overall, the idea is far too costly, and wouldn't have too much players, as is the state its in currently in freeware, if it upgraded to paid, we'd have half the population or even less... Not many in favor, I see, but I probably wouldn't pay.

phantom421

Post by phantom421 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:58 am

genesis i ssaid in my first writing says around 20$. didnt say it was exact :?

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:05 am

Still, its not well-liked in freeware currently, and think of the repercussions of SGE as a commercial game.

Tux

Post by Tux » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:50 am

mentalbutcher

Post by mentalbutcher » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:30 am

NOOO, very bad idea, would make PTT go to the dumps, i don't mind donating, but paying for a game like this would maybe get 100 ekstra players lured in. As far as i know, you can only order in about 100K discs as a minimum as most factories...

Razimus

Post by Razimus » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:24 am

What stores sell computer games anymore anyway? even the biggest video game store I've ever been in had a microscopic computer game section next to the store room door, it's all about money the obsolete the second they hit the shelves console games are taking all the shelves, even the biggest names in computer games have to fight to get their game on a shelf at software etc or eb. I don't see this trend stopping anytime soon no matter how close consoles become to pcs, people are just too gullible and fall for the
poorly made games only usable on trendy consoles.

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:03 pm

EB games? And some other smaller computer game stores? :?

Jiachi
Location: Earth, vandalizing tunnels to keep the colonial flow going *shh, don't tell*

Post by Jiachi » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:04 pm

DarkLStrike wrote:EB games? And some other smaller computer game stores? :?
I see a small, single stand full of PC games. Each wall is practically a console system of its own, and up to 3 similiar stands are used for DvDs. There is more, but scope should be clear by now. That, and I'm ending on topic: I am against this idea, for cheating problems and other possible reasons. :mrgreen:

Yanlin
Location: Behind you hiding in your shadow splinter cell style

Post by Yanlin » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:57 pm

here's an idea. open a lemonade... er... starport stand in a street, burn it on CDs and print packages yourself with a printer!

this is for toonces of coarse cause i don't wanna be assualted by you people if you tried this... COPYRIGHTS PEOPLE! don't forget.

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:51 pm

What profit margin do you get? What share does Toonces get? What's the calculated average salary? I'm guessing no one will buy a game on a stand in the streets. That's bad publicity. Toonces will be the laughingstock of game developers.

Yanlin
Location: Behind you hiding in your shadow splinter cell style

Post by Yanlin » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:32 pm

Genesis wrote:What profit margin do you get? What share does Toonces get? What's the calculated average salary? I'm guessing no one will buy a game on a stand in the streets. That's bad publicity. Toonces will be the laughingstock of game developers.
what the hell does he have to lose?

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:41 pm

It costs to put out games, and someone spending time making boxes/burn copies and sell is going to spend money for equipment. He/she will want a percent of the profit gross, so he/she can reclaim some cash spent on the equipment. No one will buy a game in a slapped-together cardboard box, so good quality equipment is going to be needed. Thus, money is an issue here. And selling in big store chains is even worse; they mass produce hundreds, and cost even more to make. Plus, store will charge you for taking up shelves.

aweiss

Post by aweiss » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:50 pm

DarkLStrike wrote:EB games? And some other smaller computer game stores? :?
I don't know if you know this but EB games was taken over by game stop.. The same people who took over old Funcoland. Well there is no competition between stores now and Game Stop controls the retail gaming retail world. Anyway, I don't think people who play this game for free would want to pay money for it. Just suggesting a small conflict of interest I don't hold against anyone. I fell the same way. I don't know, I wouldn't like SGE to turn into a WoW, i left WoW for SGE because I like SGE the way it is.