Help with Survey

For non-Starport related topics

Moderator: Major

GRAWRG.

Help with Survey

Post by GRAWRG. » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:52 pm

i'll probably have to log in and bug people for this. but if any of you are american students, can you answer a few questions for this survey im having to do? read the question and choose one of the following answers. thanks!

post or PM your answers.

1. How often does your school stand for and/or say the pledge of allegiance? daily, weekly, on rare occasions, never. Choose one answer.
2. Does standing for and/or saying the pledge of allegiance in schools legally fall under state or federal authority? state, federal, don't know. Choose one answer.
3. Do you feel pressured to stand for and/or say the pledge of allegiance in school? yes, no, don't know. Choose one answer.
4. Do you think or know that you would be punished for not standing for and/or saying the pledge of allegiance in school? yes, no, don't know. Choose one answer.
5. Do you understand everything the pledge of allegiance stands for? yes, no, mostly, don't know. Choose one answer.
6. Do you agree with everything the pledge of allegiance stands for? yes, no, mostly, don't know. Choose one answer.
7. What objection do you have to standing for/saying the pledge of allegiance in school? against my religion, I'm not loyal to the US, i am loyal to a different country, i do not believe in the "God" referenced in the pledge, i believe in separation of church and state, i believe reciting the pledge daily devalues the pledge, i believe that standing for/reciting the pledge infringes on my rights, other, i don't object. Mark all that apply.
8. Do you think the phrase "under God" should be removed from the pledge of allegiance? yes, no, don't know. Choose one answer.
9. Are you aware that the phrase "under God" was not part of the original pledge, but was added by Congress and President Eisenhower in 1954? yes, no, don't know. Choose one answer.
10. If you only just learned that the phrase "under God" was an addition made in 1954, have your feelings about its removal from the pledge of allegiance changed? yes, no, don't know. Choose one answer.
11. Have you ever sat and/or remained silent for the pledge in school? yes, no, don't know. Choose one answer.
12. What happened when you sat and/or remained silent for the pledge in school? nothing, i was told to stand by a teacher or other authority figure, i felt out of place, i have never sat or remained silent for the pledge in school. Mark all that apply.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Re: Help with Survey

Post by Saber-Fury » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:07 pm

gay

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:17 pm

shut the hug up and answer the god damn survey pj.

and stop hiding from GA i missed your company last nite :(

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:40 am

GRAWRG. wrote:i'll probably have to log in and bug people for this. but if any of you are american students, can you answer a few questions for this survey im having to do? read the question and choose one of the following answers. thanks!

post or PM your answers.

1. How often does your school stand for and/or say the pledge of allegiance? daily, weekly, on rare occasions, never. Choose one answer.
daily
2. Does standing for and/or saying the pledge of allegiance in schools legally fall under state or federal authority? state, federal, don't know. Choose one answer.
nobody, it is your choice as of the most recent supreme court decision. I choose not to.
3. Do you feel pressured to stand for and/or say the pledge of allegiance in school? yes, no, don't know. Choose one answer.
Due to peer pressure most people do, but I do not.
4. Do you think or know that you would be punished for not standing for and/or saying the pledge of allegiance in school? yes, no, don't know. Choose one answer.
No, they cannot punish you by law.
5. Do you understand everything the pledge of allegiance stands for? yes, no, mostly, don't know. Choose one answer.
Yes.
6. Do you agree with everything the pledge of allegiance stands for? yes, no, mostly, don't know. Choose one answer.
Certainly not.
7. What objection do you have to standing for/saying the pledge of allegiance in school? against my religion, I'm not loyal to the US, i am loyal to a different country, i do not believe in the "God" referenced in the pledge, i believe in separation of church and state, i believe reciting the pledge daily devalues the pledge, i believe that standing for/reciting the pledge infringes on my rights, other, i don't object. Mark all that apply.
- I do not believe in "God".
-I believe in separation of church and state.
-I am not entirely loyal to a country riddled of corruption.
-I do not believe the government is properly enforcing the 'pledge' while they say: "libery and justice for all..." yet homosexuals cannot marry in select states.

8. Do you think the phrase "under God" should be removed from the pledge of allegiance? yes, no, don't know. Choose one answer.
No. I disagree with the statement literally, but figuratively it holds power in saying so - regardless if you believe God is real or not. I see it as poetry.
Also, I believe that under any circumstance people should not impress their beliefs on other people. Let people believe what they want of the statement, otherwise - its poetry.

9. Are you aware that the phrase "under God" was not part of the original pledge, but was added by Congress and President Eisenhower in 1954? yes, no, don't know. Choose one answer.
Actually, I was entirely aware of this before I started this survey.
10. If you only just learned that the phrase "under God" was an addition made in 1954, have your feelings about its removal from the pledge of allegiance changed? yes, no, don't know. Choose one answer.
No.....
11. Have you ever sat and/or remained silent for the pledge in school? yes, no, don't know. Choose one answer.
Yes, always.
12. What happened when you sat and/or remained silent for the pledge in school? nothing, i was told to stand by a teacher or other authority figure, i felt out of place, i have never sat or remained silent for the pledge in school. Mark all that apply.
I was told to stand by a teacher or other authority figure, although, I then explained why I do not stand for the pledge. My superiors simply ignore my defiance now.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:54 am

GRAWRG. wrote:i'll probably have to log in and bug people for this. but if any of you are american students, can you answer a few questions for this survey im having to do? read the question and choose one of the following answers. thanks!

post or PM your answers.

Daily
Don't know
Yes
I probably woudn't get in trouble, but never tried so I don't know
Yes
No
7. What objection do you have to standing for/saying the pledge of allegiance in school? against my religion, I'm not loyal to the US, i am loyal to a different country, (wut?) i do not believe in the "God" referenced in the pledge, i believe in separation of church and state, i believe reciting the pledge daily devalues the pledge, i believe that standing for/reciting the pledge infringes on my rights, other, i don't object. Mark all that apply.
I don't believe in god and support the seperation of church and state
Yes
Yes
N/a
No
12. What happened when you sat and/or remained silent for the pledge in school? nothing, i was told to stand by a teacher or other authority figure, i felt out of place, i have never sat or remained silent for the pledge in school. Mark all that apply. Never have, really isn't worth the trouble
What country are you loyal to o.o?

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:45 am

I wish we had a pledge, one with many Catholic oaths - My opinion of america has increased after hearing this.

I can understand not feeling allegience to the country, but why not say it because you are too arrogant to let God bless your country? Im curious to see what would happen to your country if the "Under God" part was abolished... I wouldnt want to do that if I were you.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:15 am

America was founded on the basis of freedom from religion, that is, most of the people who founded this country left out of dissatisfaction with their former, oppressive, church-government complexes in Europe. The seperation of church and state is an integral part of the American constituion:

The First Amendment reads "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ....", while Article VI specifies that "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

What is highly disturbing is that these days most conservatives here flaunt their religion in a way which almost tests the very bounds of the constitution, applying it to their legal positions and rationalizations, their election campaigns, even demonstrating possible mental instability (IE Bachmann thinks god told her to become a politician). And don't give any crap to anyone about abolishing under god, because (if you even bothered to read the entirety of grawrg's post) America functioned fine between 1776-1954. It was only after 1954 in a state of communist paranoia that under god was added in, removing it would do nothing.

Fun fact: America was not settled by catholics*, Maryland was, but otherwise no.
Last edited by JuliusCaesar on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:01 am

Now you lowered my opinion of america much further (not that anyone cares) but your country is so secular I would hate to live there.

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:12 am

i feel like bitching because im tired. but i guess i wont yell about jr posting in a topic that only applies to americans. or it turning into a religious history topic. it's due tomorrow and i've already tallied all the other results up.

it's a shame i wasnt given more time with it. i was only able to survey ... JC, mel, and two classes at my school. i wanted to poll more sge people because they vary more and are generally more intelligent than the people at my school o.o

i actually had 1 survey out of 40 where someone circled that we say the pledge at school weekly. their other answers were consistent and/or logical, so they werent circling random stuff. so either they thought they were being funny or they mistook the pledge for the national anthem, which we have to stand for every monday morning.

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:34 am

okay, tallied up JC and mel's responses. and melllll. you nearly killed me with all the excess. you only needed to bold your answer xD

sucks i didnt see these before i surveyed the school kids though. i didnt really have time to look over the survey... so there are some problems. like #10. for #9 6 people said no, and 4 said dont know. but for 10, 2 said yes and 9 said dont know. i kind of hugged up the results by not having a "N/A" answer choice for 10 :/ what appears to be the case is that 6 people didnt know that "under god" was a late addition, and that 2 of them changed their feelings about "under god" in the pledge because of that information. which is significant.

mel - i marked your "SC" answer as federal, because SC wasnt an answer choice and i intended for SC decisions to fall under federal. BUT, that brings up something i read about during my short time researching. apparently there was a law passed in 2005 that would force the pledge in schools? i was immediately like... you're kidding, right?

but nope. no joke. our house is actually stupid enough to attempt to destroy the system of checks and balances.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:13 pm

Unfortunately the stupidly religious have been spreading their influence in my country, and most officials tend to ignore those laws -.-

This fact is one of my VERY few motivations to become active in anything political.

Woots

Post by Woots » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Boy am I glad Canada

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Woots wrote:Boy am I glad Canada
non-american ftw! :D