Re: For all future debates and discussions:

Post by MadAce » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:27 pm

JesusRocks765 wrote:Nerds talk funny when they're mad :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNtnN_DiP3o :lol:

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:47 pm

:lol: :lol: OH goodness the classic star trek fight music xD

Edit: Just got reminded of this from another thread, I am pretty much without empathy. I recognize I lack it, and I probably should give a damn more, but I was raised in a, "he/she must have done something stupid to end up in that situation" kind of home. I realize I should be a better person and move past this slight in my upbringing, but regardless of having recognized the issue I can't grow a warm fuzzy feeling in my chest. I just don't feel it.
Last edited by JuliusCaesar on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:12 am

JuliusCaesar wrote::lol: :lol: OH goodness the classic star trek fight music xD
I'd have to say by this quote that athiests are nerds as well.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:32 am

Never said I wasn't. But at least I'm in shape and happy.

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:28 am

So am I, and I have to say I am even happier knowing Im going to Heaven :D
Im also much stronger (I assume since you wont say how much you bench) But I dont judge people by size, strength, or intelligence, I judge them by Character and Ideas and actions.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:00 pm

Lolz you flat out lied about how much you could bench. Isn't that a sin? It's also a poor character trait :)

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:04 pm

JuliusCaesar wrote::lol: :lol: OH goodness the classic star trek fight music xD

Edit: Just got reminded of this from another thread, I am pretty much without empathy. I recognize I lack it, and I probably should give a damn more, but I was raised in a, "he/she must have done something stupid to end up in that situation" kind of home. I realize I should be a better person and move past this slight in my upbringing, but regardless of having recognized the issue I can't grow a warm fuzzy feeling in my chest. I just don't feel it.
You're awesome for recognizing this. Even more awesome for admitting it.

This might help you get some insight into the fact that a lot of people suffer from this, in varying degrees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_hypothesis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamenta ... tion_error

You know what really helped me to snap out of the whole "blame and responsibility" childishness? Realizing it usually does't have any constructive point.

Tho, you should be careful about a total lack of empathy. This could be indicative of other, more serious problems.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:01 pm

I'll look into it.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:12 pm

I know the world is not just, and I catch myself making fundamental attribution errors now and again (I'm sure I let others slip by, though).

But otherwise there is still no feeling in it (empathy). Yes it makes sense for me to feel sorry for someone who is in a terrible position totally beyond their control, but that's just it. I do not "feel" it, I reason it. Nobody really notices this much in my personal life because rationally I know what to say and when to say it, but if/when that reasoning slips, no empathy is "felt".

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:17 pm

JuliusCaesar wrote:I know the world is not just, and I catch myself making fundamental attribution errors now and again (I'm sure I let others slip by, though).

But otherwise there is still no feeling in it (empathy). Yes it makes sense for me to feel sorry for someone who is in a terrible position totally beyond their control, but that's just it. I do not "feel" it, I reason it. Nobody really notices this much in my personal life because rationally I know what to say and when to say it, but if/when that reasoning slips, no empathy is "felt".
Now there's a problem. :?

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:49 pm

I guess, I'm just happy I have a little for a few special people.

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:19 am

If you believing that im a fat nerd with no life makes you feel better, believe it all you want - Wont be the first lie you've conjured.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:25 pm

I hold no belief that you are a fat nerd, only that you are misguided and insecure.

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:50 am

I hold the same belief about you.

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:29 am

Just my humble oppinion on this whole atheist vs religion nonsense. Sure I have my own anti-religious beliefs, but im also not an atheist, call me a half-breed thats looked at life/experiences and done research, looked at everything objectively and rationally, and have organic beliefs that evolve as I do as a person. instead of following that of any book.

Both sides are in the wrong for being arrogant and abnoxious about their respective beliefs. If someone wishes to abandon logic, allow them too. If they preach, say "thanks but I'm not religious" and move on with your fuccking day, if you react and argue you are simply getting yourself worked up and building a bunch of unnecessary negative energy.

Yall should grow some humility and keep your beliefs to yourselves unless asked, that goes for both sides JR it is just as conceded for you to preach in threads that do not call for it in the least bit as it is for JC to attack you on every thread you do this. And hypocritical on both ends.

at least be respectful enough to not insinuate that your beliefs are any better then someone elses, or try to "convert" people, as that is rude, and ignorant. JC if people do not want to be in your "kingdom of heaven" then leave them be, more room for you.

This is a world with many differing faiths and viewpoints and unfortunately we all have to live with that.
There is never going to be a time where we all believe in the exact same thing as we are human and as long as there are differing people there will be differing beliefs. So in my oppinion we might as well learn to live with eachother.

JR/JC if you guys truly want to make a difference in other peoples oppinions perhaps spend your time arguing on a forum entirely based on reliion. Instead of one meant for an online 2d space game.. or hell I dont know, WRITE A BOOK?

and on an ending note If you guys always argue and never come to a consensus.

THEN GO SEPERATE WAYS AND STOP ARGUING. Don't even acknowledge eachother on threads. In the traditional sense, agree to disagree.

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:10 am

hey jc! im broken too! lol.

im not sure that it's necessary to empathize with a lot of people... i empathize with one person for the sake of the relationship, but i dont have any other relationships that i care for so. yeah.

idk. i think it's a good thing. as long as you understand how peoples feelings are affecting things and can take that into account, it's better to be emotionally distant. you can look at things objectively.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:52 pm

Hurrah for the emotionally disturbed!

Neox I've long since moved on from making any attempts to save JR from his own stupidity, and at this point I just laugh at it and trololo and whatnot. I have plenty of friends who are catholic, some moreso than others both here and in real life, and I don't bother them because they don't bother me. We have learned to disagree on certain points of life and are fine with it. Now I just respond to JR's religious bs because it is fun to elicit a response from his reactionary pea brain, and regardless of how many times he gets shot down in his conversion attempts he keeps blathering the same kind of stupid bullcr@p.

But (seriously speaking) I cannot just ignore people who abandon logic for silly beliefs, especially not when they are a power-holding psychopathic force in my own country's government, who have the power to convert more people to ignorance if there is not one who raises the tiny-little-red-flag-voice-of-logic. You see, I don't have to worry about my catholic friends from attempting to convert my future children to a cult, but I do have to worry about JR's type of christian's attempts to do so. A blow here is a blow for the future.

And finally, the thread most of the "debating" ( I use that term exceedingly loosely) was done on a thread I created because this very topic sprang forth from a discussion on politics on p5 years ago. It was only returned to and the whole debate brought to life again because JR tried to push his beliefs on everyone here, so I responded in a lulzy way I enjoy (no negative energy on my part), in attempt to get him to stfu about the topic now and in the future. He still hasn't taken the hint.

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:11 pm

I was in that p5 discussion.. lol
What have we done?

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:21 pm

I find JC's need to insult me and "troll" me for sharing my beliefs immature and pathetic. Now hearing you are emotionally detached I understand your cynical personality a bit more.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Cool story :)

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:57 am

On another note, I don't see the harm in people following these simple debating rules. All it does is keep the bias and hypocritical flamers from throwing their steaming piles of verbal diarhea in to a thread claiming its debate.
Just creates a fair environment where intelligent level-headed people that can back up their BBQ come out on top.
And offers some organization to an otherwise chaotic and unconclusional mess of flaming and anger.

That being said, this isn't a 'debating' forum so I doubt anyone will care...

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:01 am

MadAce had quite a few things to say about any system of organized discourse :lol: