Tips on invading?

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

Khaze

Tips on invading?

Post by Khaze » Thu May 27, 2010 5:34 pm

So I've been playing for a few weeks now and I'm starting to get to a point where I'm making enough money from colonies to buy new ships should I ever end up dead while invading colonies.

Trouble is, I'm really, really bad at it. So far the only colonies I've managed to take have been ones with no defenses except for a low-power solar cannon. Even the most superficially defended colonies are giving me alot of trouble.

A good example would be an attempt with a friend of mine to take back a colony that once belonged to us. Has one layer of compounds around the dome and another layer of lasers around that. Solar cannon is set to 7 shots and firing at a pretty high rate. Sounded easy enough. 30 minutes later we haven't been able to take down a single laser and my friend has died twice. Neither of us had surface missiles. I was in a CEO and he was in an ISC.

I guess practice makes perfect, but I'd sure appreciate some basic guidelines for what ship to use, what weapons to use, what mods to use...

Should I, for instance, opt to go for just as many Neutron Platings as I can get, or would Energy Dynamoes benefit me more? Should I bother to get any of the mods that make my ship fly better? Should I not bother with invading at all unless I have nukes? Would negotiators do the trick aswell, or should I use SMs instead if no nukes are available? Should I forget about the boost button and get afterburners instead to make sure you have full energy when you get to the dome?

Barefoot

Re: Tips on invading?

Post by Barefoot » Thu May 27, 2010 6:24 pm

Khaze wrote:So I've been playing for a few weeks now and I'm starting to get to a point where I'm making enough money from colonies to buy new ships should I ever end up dead while invading colonies.

Trouble is, I'm really, really bad at it. So far the only colonies I've managed to take have been ones with no defenses except for a low-power solar cannon. Even the most superficially defended colonies are giving me alot of trouble.

A good example would be an attempt with a friend of mine to take back a colony that once belonged to us. Has one layer of compounds around the dome and another layer of lasers around that. Solar cannon is set to 7 shots and firing at a pretty high rate. Sounded easy enough. 30 minutes later we haven't been able to take down a single laser and my friend has died twice. Neither of us had surface missiles. I was in a CEO and he was in an ISC.

I guess practice makes perfect, but I'd sure appreciate some basic guidelines for what ship to use, what weapons to use, what mods to use...

Should I, for instance, opt to go for just as many Neutron Platings as I can get, or would Energy Dynamoes benefit me more? Should I bother to get any of the mods that make my ship fly better? Should I not bother with invading at all unless I have nukes? Would negotiators do the trick aswell, or should I use SMs instead if no nukes are available? Should I forget about the boost button and get afterburners instead to make sure you have full energy when you get to the dome?
For the planet you described (minimal defenses with high BPM solar), surface missiles are your best bet. I'm assuming you don't have access to nukes to destroy the lasers, so surface missiles are your 2nd best option. Beyond that, just play with a mix of neutron plating, flight modules, thrusters, and energy dynamos for your remaining modules. See what you think works for you, personally. If you're low on cash, neutron plating is the way to go. If you're having trouble capturing the planet once the dome is clear, grab some extra energy dynamos. Don't forget to have at least 2 flight modules as they are quite useful when going for the capture (speed helps fool the solar into shooting awry). Some people use afterburners, but I personally don't like them because you can't slow down to make tight turns as easily.

As far as techique goes, it helps to have a partner. Have your invading buddy distract the solar cannon (by flying closer to it than you and dodging shots the best he/she can) while you fire off surface missiles unimpeded. You should be able to clear them without the solar pounding on you. It may take 10 or so shots to kill 1 cannon.
After clearing the cannons, rush in to the dome full-speed to clear the mines. Make sure you use the dome to rebound (bounce off of it at full speed) so you won't spend any time eating entire solar spreads from close range. You'll have to do this 4 times to clear the mines.
Lastly, remember to use the shift button (or whatever you have set as boost button) sparingly when trying to capture. If you take a solar shot while the boost button is held down, your energy will not regenerate. However if you refrain from holding shift (or use it very sparingly), your energy will regenerate to 1000 quickly after being hit my solar shots allowing you to capture.

I feel that the best way to learn is to tag along with good invaders. I do this by spamming "anyone invading? i'll help for free! - you get all caps!" This way you can actually SEE what other players are doing. You can also check their modules to see what they are using.

EDIT: As far as ships to use, I'd use only ships that have 16k shields. ISC, seth, and CEO (though not as nimble).

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Mon May 31, 2010 8:22 pm

Dave34 wrote:best advice on invading... don't die :D
says the man who dies on an easy DD . . . :wink:

kenoneill

Post by kenoneill » Mon May 31, 2010 9:53 pm

my advice would be dont be afraid of dying, its gonna happen sooner or later and the more you worry about not dying the more likely it is to happen

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:24 am

kenoneill wrote:my advice would be dont be afraid of dying, its gonna happen sooner or later and the more you worry about not dying the more likely it is to happen
This.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:30 am

What in the world happened to Nine-Breaker's helpful post on this thread? It disappeared.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:14 pm

Barefoot wrote:What in the world happened to Nine-Breaker's helpful post on this thread? It disappeared.
I noticed that too, uhmm all I remeber from it was the

-thrust about 1.5 seconds before you hit the dome so it makes solar shoot behind the dome
-go to dome at a curv somewhat so that you swing solar off, it shoots where it thinks your gonna go.
-use the bouncing force of hitting the dome to pop mines quickly and get out of there
-after you take a col you can grab the mines and put them in the weapons factory and take them back out so they are healed.

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Mel'Kaven wrote:
Barefoot wrote:What in the world happened to Nine-Breaker's helpful post on this thread? It disappeared.
I noticed that too, uhmm all I remeber from it was the

-thrust about 1.5 seconds before you hit the dome so it makes solar shoot behind the dome
-go to dome at a curv somewhat so that you swing solar off, it shoots where it thinks your gonna go.
-use the bouncing force of hitting the dome to pop mines quickly and get out of there
-after you take a col you can grab the mines and put them in the weapons factory and take them back out so they are healed.
Nine-Breaker actually had constructive comments?!?!?! Wow what has this world come to :lol:

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:18 am

The two main points I remember him making were these:

A) The solar shoots at where it anticipates you'll be
B) Lasers shoot at where you are now

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:06 am

Barefoot wrote:The two main points I remember him making were these:

A) The solar shoots at where it anticipates you'll be
B) Lasers shoot at where you are now
And thats just about how it does too :wink:

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:04 pm

Dave34 wrote:I'm working on an invading tutorial video, so you can see what we're talking about :P
Don't listen to Dave he doesn't really know how to invade he just thinks he does. :lol:

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:28 am

Dave34 wrote:
P-i-m-p wrote:
Dave34 wrote:I'm working on an invading tutorial video, so you can see what we're talking about :P
Don't listen to Dave he doesn't really know how to invade he just thinks he does. :lol:
Pimp just keep tellin them hoes what to do. :D
Ok Don't make a cap vid you suck :lol: :lol: :lol:

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:38 am

my post? :(

it got murdered :cry:

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:53 am

nine-breaker wrote:my post? :(

it got murdered :cry:
Toonces pulled the AK on yo post haha!

Khaze

Post by Khaze » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:15 pm

Great tips, people. Was really struggling at first, but I think I've got the hang of it now, more or less.

Would love a tutorial video and I'm sure many others would appreciate one, aswell!

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:03 am

Khaze wrote:Great tips, people. Was really struggling at first, but I think I've got the hang of it now, more or less.

Would love a tutorial video and I'm sure many others would appreciate one, aswell!
Working on it.

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:46 pm

nine-breaker wrote:
Khaze wrote:Great tips, people. Was really struggling at first, but I think I've got the hang of it now, more or less.

Working on it.
oh god your gonna attempt one too? well I might have to make one just so you and Dave don't make this nub think its ok to suck :lol:

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:46 pm

P-i-m-p wrote:
nine-breaker wrote:

Working on it.
oh god your gonna attempt one too? well I might have to make one just so you and Dave don't make this nub think its ok to suck :lol:
I lol'd :lol: :lol: :oops:

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:13 pm

P-i-m-p wrote:
nine-breaker wrote:

Working on it.
Actually mine focuses more on the basics of the game, what all does what, what charisma, dexterity, and wisdom do, and I explain how to get started.

I have it all recorded, but I have a cold so I'm still going through and cutting out all the times I cough.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:19 pm

nine-breaker wrote:
Actually mine focuses more on the basics of the game, what all does what, what charisma, dexterity, and wisdom do, and I explain how to get started.

I have it all recorded, but I have a cold so I'm still going through and cutting out all the times I cough.
nice :D

mcdfatty

Post by mcdfatty » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:52 pm

what are the 3 best ships to invade with?

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:54 am

mcdfatty wrote:what are the 3 best ships to invade with?
ISC, IGS, and sethdar. Ceo can be useful for the beginning part of a colony for hauling 16 nukes or negs, but because it's base stats are so bad it isnt as good for the final parts of invading, like ram nuking, running cmines or capping.

Luna

Post by Luna » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:36 pm

Watch the invasion videos that have newer solar shots. You can see many useful things in them that will give you a visual to go with all the advise. Nothing is better than actual practice, and trial and error. If the solar bugs you turn down the sound, and it might keep you from anticipating death.