Trading Question

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

Ustimas

Trading Question

Post by Ustimas » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:44 pm

Hey all. I came back to Starport after several years away, and have noticed a variety of changes. I have been trying my hand at trading, but I have encountered something that I am not familiar with. When I stop at a port to sell my items I receive the message:
I'm sorry, but I can't afford that right now.
This of course occurs after I've sold maybe one trip load of items (approximately 200). I can see this is a new implementation, but I cannot find any documentation on it (maybe I am just a noob). Anyways, how long does this last? If its too long a time trading doesn't seem a profitable venue at all.

Thanks all :)

ArdRhys4

Re: Trading Question

Post by ArdRhys4 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:28 am

This usually happens on new servers. It means that the port probably has very little money on it. You will have to sell at a different port.

TT

Post by TT » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:51 am

Regardless of the demand numbers, Starports have a finite amount of credits available for trade. When you buy stuff from a port the cash reserve goes up, if you sell to it the cash reserve goes down. If you only sold 200 holds before it went broke then somebody else hit it before you did.

The ports generate cash but very very slowly(at least it seems to me). Generally, in a 2 week rebang if a port goes broke its pretty much done for the duration of the game. You might get a few more credits from it but not much. I think some ports may generate cash a little faster then others.

MutedJazz

Post by MutedJazz » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:27 pm

It regenerates slightly faster than that.

Woots

Post by Woots » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:29 am

I used to remember the port cash setting to 0 after a patch/update.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:25 pm

This only happens when people are stealing from the ports.

Woots

Post by Woots » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:48 pm

Nah, I remember porting in a port with 50k cash to steal because they were doing an update. When I logged in again, there was like 147$ to steal.

TT

Post by TT » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:33 pm

Barefoot wrote:This only happens when people are stealing from the ports.
Not true, selling to the port, like from a planet's refinery, will drain the credits available for future selling.

Stealing credits does not effect the amount of credits available for trading whatsoever I believe.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:59 am

TT wrote:
Not true, selling to the port, like from a planet's refinery, will drain the credits available for future selling.

Stealing credits does not effect the amount of credits available for trading whatsoever I believe.
While I agree that it's possible to completely drain a port's credits from selling A LOT of resources (as I've done this on rebangs), I don't agree that stealing doesn't affect it. I've docked at ports with the intention of stealing credits and trading resources, and once I've stolen all the credits it gives me that message when I try to sell resources.

TT

Post by TT » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:42 pm

Barefoot wrote:
TT wrote:

While I agree that it's possible to completely drain a port's credits from selling A LOT of resources (as I've done this on rebangs), I don't agree that stealing doesn't affect it. I've docked at ports with the intention of stealing credits and trading resources, and once I've stolen all the credits it gives me that message when I try to sell resources.
Then how do you explain a port with no credits available to be stolen being able to buy resources?

MutedJazz

Post by MutedJazz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:01 am

A Tooncical miracle.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:13 am

TT wrote:Then how do you explain a port with no credits available to be stolen being able to buy resources?
I can't, lol. No idea. Maybe it's inconsistent?

TT

Post by TT » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:55 am

Barefoot wrote:
TT wrote:Then how do you explain a port with no credits available to be stolen being able to buy resources?
The answer is that credits available to be stolen are in a separate "bank" then those available for trade.

When you buy anything from the port it adds 10% of that amount into credits available to be stolen.

When you sell something to the port it takes the money from the credits available for trading.

So its possible to have credits available to be stolen even if it doesn't have any credits available for trading and vice versa.

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:30 pm

TT wrote:
Barefoot wrote:
The answer is that credits available to be stolen are in a separate "bank" then those available for trade.

When you buy anything from the port it adds 10% of that amount into credits available to be stolen.

When you sell something to the port it takes the money from the credits available for trading.

So its possible to have credits available to be stolen even if it doesn't have any credits available for trading and vice versa.

this is what I always assumed was the case. will have to see if buying a resource from a port adds to the total available to be stolen, or if its just shields purchases your robbing from.

of course it would make most sense that lets say x percent of EVERY purchase at the merchant docks would add to this robbable amount of cash, and the remaining amount to the ports funds to buy resources.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:30 am

Just bumping this because I want those who posted that stealing doesn't affect port treasury to check out 11th dimension's ports. They've been broke for over a month and I'm damn sure it's because of stealing.

Pink Floyd

Post by Pink Floyd » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:56 pm

hell ya stealling affects port treasuries, i remember on p6 shortly after it banged i was teachin a newb, and i was able to empty all the ports around and accidentally pissed him off cause there was no where to sell the spice from his col XD

Major

Post by Major » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:22 am

Pink Floyd wrote:hell ya stealling affects port treasuries, i remember on p6 shortly after it banged i was teachin a newb, and i was able to empty all the ports around and accidentally pissed him off cause there was no where to sell the spice from his col XD

cool story

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:07 pm

Major wrote:
Pink Floyd wrote:hell ya stealling affects port treasuries, i remember on p6 shortly after it banged i was teachin a newb, and i was able to empty all the ports around and accidentally pissed him off cause there was no where to sell the spice from his col XD

cool story