[Software] SGE Colony Managment Calculator V1.0

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

Do you like this program?

- Yes, great program, thx!
48%
- No, it sucks, you waisted your time.
21%
- Yes, but it needs some updates though.
31%

Total votes: 84

milo

Post by milo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:28 pm

any chance this will be updated soon?

Turkey

Post by Turkey » Wed May 07, 2008 4:42 am

I just updated my spreadsheet:
http://starportcentral.110mb.com/progra ... ols2-2.xls

With any luck, the partial consumption averaging will work now. I haven't tested it in-game, as I don't have any colonies to test it on. Feedback would be nice XD
Last edited by Turkey on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:53 am

has this topic stagnated?

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:17 pm

Yes it has, if there is still intrest in this system I will redo the whole thing with javascript (and possibly AJAX), which would practically mean that you can use the program online.

Nightmare

Jtak

Post by Jtak » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:16 pm

never used it but i guess if u make it java i will

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:08 pm

uh, can someone help please? i downloaded the program, but i dont really get how to use it. can someone please explain it to me?

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:15 am

dont work for me:/

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:36 am

invaderzim wrote:uh, can someone help please? i downloaded the program, but i dont really get how to use it. can someone please explain it to me?
Just double click on the icon and it should open, if you have played the game a little it should be clear what input needs to be inserted where.
The program was made so you could easily see when the population and morale of a colony would stabilise. The more input you provide, the more accurate the results will be (if the formulas the game uses haven't changed since I made this thing anyway :? )

Euh I hope that helps you, if it doesn't please try to state more precisely what you need help with.

Nightmare

Turkey

Post by Turkey » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:37 am

Nightmare wrote: (if the formulas the game uses haven't changed since I made this thing anyway :? )
I think they have.

milo

Post by milo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:30 am

they have.

i made this spreadsheet shortly after the last changes. it predicts population and morale almost perfectly acurately (the error is because it doesn't account for the partial consumption problem ingame). however it gets pollution wrong and i haven't finished resource production/consumption.

i wasn't going to post it until it was finished but meh it's been over a month since i worked on it last so here it is. please tell me what you think.

colony calculator v8.xls - 1.64MB

[edit] uhh i now put a lower limit on the morale so the pop does level off when trying to maintain 20k+ cols. also i think i found the pollution problem and will address it before the release of version 9.0. and turkey i might need to use your numbers for the resource bit if that's ok with you

Moriarti

Post by Moriarti » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:35 am

I am really hoping you got most of this right, b/c ive been trying to figure out how to stabilize planets with the new rules for about a month now.

milo

Post by milo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:54 am

yea i fixed pollution now but it's gonna be a few days (at least) until i get the resources worked out. for now if your colony has a positive production rate just put in a very large number (18+ digits). if it is declining then put in the actual amount.

tell me how accurately it works for you. also i don't think it works for classic or any irregular servers

Turkey

Post by Turkey » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:06 am

Nice one, Milo.

For the resource consumption part:
KiT wrote:FullBonusFor1Resource*(bonus1+bonus2+bonus1*bonus2)
Where
bonus1 and bonus2 are the fraction of harvesting/consumption, to a maximum of 1, and
FullBonusFor1Resource is the amount of extra pop or morale that is given for supply of a single resource.

EG: A planet has a full supply of meds, but only harvests oil at half the rate it's being consumed. The bonus to be tacked onto the morale rate becomes:
1.92*(1+0.5+1*0.5)

milo

Post by milo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:57 pm

yea i got that part already i and i have the resources being consumed correctly now i just need to have them produce at the correct rate.

and for anyone who was wondering cash is generated as follows

if under un protection base rate = 0.3
if not under un protection base rate = 1.2

growth rate = ((base rate*population*tax rate(e.g. 1-20)) + (cash reserves*(0.0005+(0.0002*research lvl))))

milo

Post by milo » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:05 am

Here is version 13
colony calculator v13.xls - 1.75MB

Ok, so now it should predict all of the following with almost perfect accuracy:

- population
- morale
- experience earned
- credit income

it also displays the final numbers for the population, exp earned and credits accumulated. (so you don't have to squint and make a rough estimate)

sorry but i broke the pollution even worse while doing this so i didn't include it in the graph. also i do not have the production rates for the paradise planet type so those calculations will be off.

turkey if you could tell me how to anchor rows on the spreadsheet such that when you scroll up and down they remain in place(like the top two rows in yours) that would be verymuch appriciated.
Last edited by milo on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moriarti

Post by Moriarti » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:00 am

Thank you so much for this, it is so very helpful!

milo

Post by milo » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:45 pm

sorry i keep posting here so much but i have another update.

the latest version and all subsequent versions will be updated at this location.

http://starportcentral.110mb.com/software.htm

new features include:
- error report section (so you know if you have entered anything impossible)
- suggestions for workforce and solar cannon settings (both initially and after stabilization)
- the resource graph now has the 50k limit
- other minor tweaks

Turkey

Post by Turkey » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:02 am

milo wrote:turkey if you could tell me how to anchor rows on the spreadsheet such that when you scroll up and down they remain in place(like the top two rows in yours) that would be verymuch appriciated.
Separate the rows/columns you want into panes with this little do-hickey:
And then select Window -> Freeze Panes

On first impressions, your partial consumption still looks funky. But I certainly can't be effed checking it ;)

milo

Post by milo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:04 pm

there is no partial consumption yet so as of now it's just a conservative estimate. im redoing the whole calculator tab to make it more efficient and to take into account partial consumption

Turkey

Post by Turkey » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:37 pm

milo wrote:and please feel free to edit and modify the spreadsheet as much as you want. i'd be thrilled if someone could get it to account for partial consumption correctly.
:D

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FZQGYT1H

Things changed:
-Partial consumption calculated using KiT's approximation.
-Military Tradition research makes a difference.
-Final morale (after 31 days) displayed on the front page.
-You forgot to divide by twelve for tax calculations. Fixed.
-Ditto with morale calculations. Fixed.
-Solar burst rate formula corrected (hint: It's not linear).
-Entertainment modifier didn't take construction workforce into account. Fixed.

I'm not sure how you've gone about recommending harvest settings, but it seems to be a bit strange now. The setting it recommended let the morale on my sample planet crash to -500 or so. :shock:
The recommended construction settings are sometimes non-zero, which I find very strange (anyone who builds entertainment is off their nut).

milo

Post by milo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Things changed:
-Partial consumption calculated using KiT's approximation.
cool can't wait to see what difference it makes
-Military Tradition research makes a difference.
already integrated this into later versions (not yet released for the sake of not spamming the forums every 4 hours)
-Final morale (after 31 days) displayed on the front page.
i thought i had that
-You forgot to divide by twelve for tax calculations. Fixed.
-Ditto with morale calculations. Fixed.
:oops:

-Solar burst rate formula corrected (hint: It's not linear).
i know but since it is not a major aspect of this program i made a simplifying assumption since it is roughly linear
-Entertainment modifier didn't take construction workforce into account. Fixed.
yea the modifier on calc2 doesn't but it should have been incorporated in the calculator/morale rate column
I'm not sure how you've gone about recommending harvest settings, but it seems to be a bit strange now. The setting it recommended let the morale on my sample planet crash to -500 or so. Shocked
The recommended construction settings are sometimes non-zero, which I find very strange (anyone who builds entertainment is off their nut).
yea lol i think the way i did it in version 22 is incomplete. what it was going to do is this:

- first it decides which resource is getting consumed the fastest (based on user-input settings)

- if it can allocate enough colonists to make the net production of that resource positive it calculates the colonists needed to do so and then calculates the workforce percentage from there

- if it can't allocate enough colonists to make the net production of that resource positive it moves to the one with the next highest consumption rate.

-if it still can't make the net production positive it repeats the process

-ditto for the fourth highest consumption rate

so if it can't make any of the resources production rates positive it sets harvesting workforce to 0 since there is no point fighting a losing battle

however when you have a bio2 it is not always necessary to keep all the production rates positive in order to maintain a 5k pop. so in this case it throws out the one with the highest consumption rate (provided that it could achieve a positive rate with it) and starts the above process with the second highest consumption resource.

the remaining workforce is allocated then to the military until it achieves it's max (5k colonists including the adjustment due to reasearches)

if there are remaining colonists and the total number of research discoveries are <10 then the extra colonists are placed in research workforce otherwise they are set to construction.

Ichigo

Post by Ichigo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:27 pm

So this how reikia always knew..

milo

Post by milo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:38 pm

ok so i updated the download on my site to what i currently have.

again the site is

http://starportcentral.110mb.com/software.htm

however this still has some bugs which i hope to fix soon. it should have fixed most of the bugs turkey kindly pointed out. but now it seems that some things are more broke than they were at version 18. so if you are just using this as a predictive tool not an analytic one i would wait till after the weekend.

turkey, i streamlined the "decision" process for the workforce suggestions. take a look and it should be pretty easy to see how it works

lmao i can't beleive i've been using IF() statments to do MAX()/MIN() calculations.

Turkey

Post by Turkey » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:28 am

...on second thoughts, I may have been wrong about those divide-by-twelve 'bugs'. You should probably double check it...

milo

Post by milo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:05 pm

hmm i'm gonna have to update my spreadsheet to account for the 200% increase in research bonuses

milo

Post by milo » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:25 am

hey everyone i just started programing a new colony calculator. this one will actually have a gui instead of being a spreadsheet in an effort to make it easier to use. however i will not be able to reproduce all those pretty graphs that excel makes. i'm pretty excided about this one even though i'm only about 6 hrs into an estimated 80 hours. expect to see a primative version in a couple weeks with updates starting weekly after that until i'm done

:P :P :P

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:42 am

milo wrote:hey everyone i just started programing a new colony calculator. this one will actually have a gui instead of being a spreadsheet in an effort to make it easier to use. however i will not be able to reproduce all those pretty graphs that excel makes. i'm pretty excided about this one even though i'm only about 6 hrs into an estimated 80 hours. expect to see a primative version in a couple weeks with updates starting weekly after that until i'm done

:P :P :P
Nice one milo, good luck ;)

Centaur/Choccy

Re: [Software] SGE Colony Managment Calculator V1.0

Post by Centaur/Choccy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:06 pm

Hey, just wondering how it's going so far Milo?
If you need any help with VB, you could possibly ask me, I took a college course on it a little while ago.

I tried to use the spreadsheet one but I didn't understand what was wanted in the "Resources" Columns..
Still, looks nice if I knew how to work it :)

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Well, considering he last visited Feb 09, 2009... i think he's done making these :P

Centaur/Choccy

Post by Centaur/Choccy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Also the lastest refinery patch probably screwed up all his hard work, heh.