Planet Layouts(pictures) and Black Hole Maps

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

Mua'Dib

Planet Layouts(pictures) and Black Hole Maps

Post by Mua'Dib » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:47 pm

I am providing these so that they may be used for strategic advice and reference by the community. They have been assembled from a series of screenshots taken on each planet, using the minimap area of each screenshot.

I believe I have all of them, if you know otherwise please tell me. Here they are:

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

6-

7-

8-

9-

10-

11-

12-

13-

14-

15-

16-

17-

18-
(note: warp was hard to see so I darkened it)

19-

20-

21-

22-

23-

24-

25-

26-

27-

28-

29-

30-

31-

32-

33-

34-

35-

36-

37-

38-

39-

40-

41-

42-

43-

44-

45-

46-

47-

48-

49-

50-

51-

52-

53-

54-

55-

56-

57-

58-

59-

60-

61-

62-

63-

64-

65-

66-

67-

68-

69-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Credit for most of the the newer layouts goes to duece.
Last edited by Mua'Dib on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:39 am, edited 26 times in total.

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:00 pm

Nice, could be very handy for the newbies :D.

Nightmare

Mua'Dib

Post by Mua'Dib » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:12 pm

Tifi wrote:1. The Winding Road

The usual spot for setting up is at (1) as theres plenty of room for turrets and the winding passages provide a small measure of distraction as the solar fires away - be warned though that unless you have turrets at the entrance any invaders will have time to group as the solar won't start firing until they enter one of the passages.
Occaisionally you'll see domes set up at (2), theres not much room for defences here but that means that the passages will probably be crammed full, and the solar can reach the entrance.

2. The Wheel

The usual spots for setting up are (1) and (3) as theres plenty of room for turrets and theres a nice corner to block straight shots.
(2) has plenty of room but is more-or-less open to the main space, while (4) has little space which means less defence at the dome & more in the 'wheel'.
(5) can be a dangerous spot to inhabit, as it requires the dome to be utterly surrounded but gives the landing an instant blast of solar cover.

3. The Pierced Heart

Most people seem to set up at (1), and its not a bad choice as theres only one way in & out and theres a nice bottleneck to fill with turrets.
Setting up at (2) can be quite effective for the close in solar cover, but regardless of which area you choose, you WILL be putting lots of turrets down around (2) :wink:

4. Layers

Three choices for defence here on a convenient sliding scale of space/solar cover.
(1) has the best dome cover but the least room for turrets, while (3) has the weakest dome cover but the most room for turrets.
None of the sites are especially brilliant as all of them can be sniped from round corner passages, so make sure to cram them to bursting to discourage this.

5. 3-way Maze

Usually setting up at (2) or (3) is the safest bet, although theres not much room for turrets they're not that vulnerable either and it leaves you plenty to put round the entrance.
(1) is sometimes seen a colony site but its slightly more inviting to snipers hiding round corners.
(4) and (5) are not often used as they're hard to defend properly and both have passages which can act as missile 'funnels'.

6. Chambers

People tent to go for (1) as its the furthest away from the entrance and has the most passages to hide behind, only problem with that is the mediocre solar cover you get.
(4) is much more practical as all the defences can be concentrated around the landing and givess any invaders an instant solar blast.
(2) and (3) are hardly ever used due to the vulnerability to snipers and tunnel hiders.

7. Smiley!

Most poeple set up at (1) as it gives pretty good cover and you get a nice passage to litter with obstacles, although you won't have much left for landing defences.
If you can get enough turretss together to fully defend it straight away (3) is a pretty solid choice, but is something of an 'all or nothing' proposition.
(2) is the compromise position, with no special weakness but no strengths either.

8. Curvy Passages

(1) is probably the most favoured spot as it gives enough room for a decent amount of turrets while giving okay solar cover.
Some people like to cram a dome into (2) which can work quite well as it leaves you plenty of spare turrets to block up the landing, wheras the ring at (3) is not used all that often as the other two sites do everything better.

9. Cloverleaf

The usual spot for this layout is (1) as it gives excellent coverage for the solar and has lots of room for turrets.
(2) is also often used as it can provide a much deeper (although less intense) level of defence.

10. More Chambers

The usual spots here are (1) & (2) for the solar cover, but all four locations are fairly average.
Take your pick.

11. Peace Maze

Both (1) & (2) give decent landing cover and plenty of room for turrets, although (1) can cover the far right of the landing zone whilst (2) can't.
Sometimes you see a dome suffed into the passage at (3), which although quite vulnerable can also be quite effective.

12. Plenty of Room

Depending on who you ask, this is the best or the worst layout to defend.
(2) & (3) give you a nice little wall to hide behind, (2) has better cover but the straighter wall is more vulnerable to sliders.
(1) gives you instant solar cover, but requires you totally surrouns your dome with turrets and blend it into the landing defences which can be very effective when finished.

13. Vulture Head

Setting up at (1) is probably the safest bet as it gives good cover and a nice long bottleneck to crap up with turrets.
(2) is also often used but can be quite vulnerable to people hiding around the lump of rock in front of it.
If you plan on building your dome into the main block of your defences (3) is the place to be.
(4) & (5) are not often used anymore as the closed in passageways can block a lot of the defensive fire.

14. The Worm

Not a lot of choice here.
(1) is the usual spot as its fairly easy to defend, while (2) is just asking for invasion unless you can throw down a full set of turrets straight away.

15. The Spiral Maze

Most people go for either (1) or (2) as they both give a decent amount of space for turrets and both make people go round the annoying twirly passages to get to you.
Occaisionally (3) can be used, and can be surprisingly effective as all the defences can be concentrated in the passageway in front of the dome.

16. Headphones

Pretty much everyone sets up at (1) or somewhere therabouts as it gives good coverage and plenty of room for turrets.
(2) can also be used as you can concentrate all the defences in front of the dome.
You can't really go wrong with this one.

17. Loops

This can be one of the most annoying layouts to invade, especially if the dome is at (1) or (2) as both give excellent solar cover and plenty of room for turrets.
(3) is a slightly 'safer' position and still has pretty good cover, but the free space is limited, whereas (4) gives plenty of room but mediocre cover.

18. Islands

Not much choice here, theres only 3 places worth planting a dome and they all offer pretty much the same level of defence.
All you need to worry about is clogging up as many of the passages as possible and make sure your dome is 100% surrounded by turrets.

19. Maze of Bigness

If you were dissapointed by the last layout, theres choices a-plenty here.
(1), (2), (8 ) and (12) are your close in maximum cover spots, with (2) being the closest and can be built into the landing ring.
(4), (5), (6), (7), (9) and (10) are the defensive areas with lots of hard to clear passages to hide behind (which incedently are quite hard to get missiles down...)
(11) is one of the commonest places to set up on this map, but also the worst as it is very vulnerable to sniping from behind the little ledge at the bottom.
On the whole (8 ) is probably the safest bet, unless you can land at (2) and drop a full set of turrets ASAP.

20. Telltale Heart

Just about everyone build thier colony at (1) on this map, & i can't for the life of me think why.....
Sure it has lots of room, but has pretty bad solar cover & invaders can hide from turret fire in the passages.
(2) is a much better place, with a nice clump of rock to hide the dome behind it only takes a few turrets to discourage the 'casual' invader, whilst (4) pretty much requires a full set of turrets.
You can fit a dome at (3) but don't. Ever....
Its very close to the landing, so close in fact you can't fit any turrets inbetween the dome & the invader. This is bad.

21. Superwide

This layout demands a full set of defences as quickly as you can manage, as the landing area is utterly huge.
However, this seeming weakness can actually be a surprising strength as sometimes your would-be invader will land quite far away from the warp point, and if you have turrets all accross the gap at (3) then things could well become amusing (for the defender anyway).
(1) (2) & (3) are the best places due to the solar cover, with (3) probably being the best although the hardest to defend you can concentrate all your defences in the immediate area.
Pretty much forget (4) as its too far out for the solar to be useful near the landing.

22. Diamond Passages

(1) and (2) are the most commonly used spots as they give good coverage and have a decent amount of room for turrets.
(3) is okay but a bit far away from the landing, whilst (4) is both far away and has a limited amount of space. Forget it.
(5) can be pretty good as it has the best coverage, its the only site that can cover the whole landing with solar, the others can't quite reach thier respective opposite sides :wink:
And you can cram all your turrets in front of the dome making for a pretty lengthy invasion.

23. Long Island

If you can manage it, try to get your dome with all its turrets at (1) as all the other sites are vulnerable to long-range sniping (especially (2) and (4))

24. Beehive

Go for (1) or (2) here, as both give good coverage and you can build the dome into the defences.
A lot of people still use (3) but its very vulnerable to sniping as that stepped wall will shield attackers from most turret fire.

25. Antennae

None of the positions here are especially great, most people tend to go for (2) and cram all the tunnels to bursting with turrets, and its not really a bad choice as (1) has poor solar cover and both (1) & (3) have little islands to hide behind.

26. Diamond Maze

The usual places to set up are (2) (3) and (4), all give plenty of room for turrets and passages to hid behind as well as halfway decent solar cover.
(5) isn't very good as the islands can block most of the turret fire making invasion that much easier, while (6) is both small and too far away from the landing.
(1) is a nice place to set up, especially near the top of the diamond as it gives good solar cover and allows you to concentrate turrets in one area.

27. Three Way

Its hard to go wrong with this map.
All areas give a decent amount of space and the overall small size means solar cover is good everywhere.
(1) offers arguably the best solar cover of any layout and plenty of room to clog up with turrets.
You can even set up your dome in one of the wide passages if you really want, but i'd go for one of the wider spaces for maximum turret annoyance.

28. Coral Island

Theres plenty of good spots here, as well as plenty of not so good ones...
The best are (1)(2)(3) & (4) as they're all fairly close to landing and so give good cover, although (4) is somewhat cramped.

(6)(7) & (9) are thouroughly average although they have plenty of room for turrets.

I seriously would'nt bother with (5) or (8 ) as they can both be sniped very easily by anyone with even a fraction of patience from behind those ledges.
Last edited by Mua'Dib on Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

seth

Post by seth » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:11 pm

we should make the numbers or names of these things semi official at least, so when im telling someone about how awesome/sucky some planet is, i wont need to say "its the one ring world with the rock ledge on the bottom and the easily slidable bottom right" or w/e

and yeah, i do that mining of gas giants/tiny worlds too, makes it just that much harder for sleepers kicked from un/ports to get behind my laser wall in that system.

Mua'Dib

Post by Mua'Dib » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:37 am

#1 - I hate this layout, to defend it or to invade it. There is no good place to put the dome, as the only decent place is out of solar range. Yet it also can require a lot of nukes or shields(to grav) when invading. Hardly worth the trouble.
#2 - This is a nice layout, not too hard to invade but the avenues of fire allow for full landing coverage while saving turret space for the dome area as well. It can have a surrounded landing AND a well protected(nuke wasting) dome.
#3 - When the dome is placed at the top, i can take it with no nukes. I hire a vulture and train him how, if needed. If the dome is placed lower, iti can be hard to take due do massive laser fire.
#4 - I love this layout, the pathway south of the landing is rarely heavily defended, and once the first bit is cleared, it can be done pretty easily.
#5 - Tends to be slideable, Even when not it easy to land-nuke.
#6 - Tends to be vultureable if dome is placed in any of the northern compartments. Not a strong layout.
#7 - Not my favorite to invade, depending on the defense and placement it's just land-nuke until a hole/slide is made.
#8 - Easy, easy, easy
#9 - Quite annoying to invade, Not hard, but can require lots of nukes and patience, and shields.
#10 - Can be vulturable if the dome is at the north area. If it is, it's a 0 nuke job. If it's placed low, it can be aggravating. Similar to #3 but better because of the shape of the walls, which tends to waste nukes.
#11 - Not hard. With a partner this becomes grav-able or torpable
#12 - I dont like rings. This one's no different. I can take it but will probably die once trying.
#13 - One of the easier rings, Usually the dome will be south of the landing. In which case nuke the east. Sometimes you can kill one turret and make a slide.
#14 - Easy alone. With more than one person it's even easier, torpable once you beat the opening turrets.
#15 - I love placing the dome on this one, I have a good spot that no one else ever uses that wastes nukes and shields. Most people put it on the top and bottom, which is annoying to travel to and from.
#16 - Not hard at all, is actually mildly vultureable in some cases once the first few are cleared.
#17 - If the dome is put right below the landing, it can be a pain to invade(lots of nukes), if not, it's easy.
#18 - Usually slideable to the west. Isnt hard though some placements can require more nukes than others. The small passages aroudn the outside can sometimes allow for a distractor.
#19 - Dont like this one, basic ring land-nuke to begin, then slide or whatever. It can be annoying to get to some of the dome locations, though some are vultureable.
#20 - Relatively close dome placement and full turrets is jeopardized by the lack of incoming fire to the south. Not hard but can be a nuke-waster.
#21 - Hardest layout for me. I know, in theory, how to take a full laser/solar defense at the landing, but i have yet to do it. On a bad day, this can kill me when im just looking. If flaks are used, however, this becomes easy.
#22 - Sometimes vultureable, usually not. Not a hard layout in any case.
#23 - Similar to #20 but generally requires a further dome placement. Can be easy depending on nuke availability and successful hitting of targets.
#24 - Very hard layout for me, though in some cases it's slideable. The small landing and the concentrated fire can make land-nuking hell. I can take it but will often skip it due to the liklihood that it will cost me a ship or two.
#25 - Can be grav/torp-able if the dome is placed too high. Isnt hard to take, though sometimes sheer numbers of lasers can make taking the dome hard if placed in the main chamber with the rocks.
#26 - People like to put the dome in the northwest in which case it's vultureable, aka, 0 nukes required. Otherwise it's just like #22.
#27 - A nice layout, not hard but not easy and requires a moderate level of nukes.
#28 - A standard ring, can sometimes be slideable after a few nukes.

Notes:
By vultureable, i mean myself in a seth/isc/ig and a hired vulture. I tell the vulture what to do, and when necessary i distract the solar for it. Ive mastered this technique on several layouts.
I am pretty biased here, I dislike invading rings, as they tend to be harder. Some people find them easy, but my slidign abilities are below average.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:26 am

duece

Post by duece » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:26 pm

Just kill the distractor turrets first

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:09 am

Oh nice, it always takes me a while to track these down, this is a lot easier :)

haloking1122
Location: That one place where people go when they get banned

Post by haloking1122 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:23 am

Is Dark Future in ther if not pleas throw it in

Eternus101

Post by Eternus101 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:39 pm

Someone had alot of time on their hands xD.

It looks rather helpful, I might use these when I actually get to play :)

m-boy

Post by m-boy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:27 pm

will there be 1 up for classic?

awmalzo

Post by awmalzo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:23 am

the 11th map has 1 left out, so i added it in gray, though I cba looking for system names ;p

awmalzo

Post by awmalzo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:14 pm

the best dome placement on that layout is this one(shown in red), the blue square is the distracter ( useless ) and the yellow square is the invading ship, the yellow rays is solar multpile shooters and the grey is possible turret placement..last time i nivaded a 10 shooter full military like that 1 I gave up in the middle of it.

you can clearly see there is no way you can distract that, and solar will burn your shields like mad when you pass the tunnel, and you will not have enough sheilds to make it out again.

GreenPeaSuit wrote:
Mua'dib wrote:19. Maze of Bigness

If you were dissapointed by the last layout, theres choices a-plenty here.
(1), (2), (8 ) and (12) are your close in maximum cover spots, with (2) being the closest and can be built into the landing ring.
(4), (5), (6), (7), (9) and (10) are the defensive areas with lots of hard to clear passages to hide behind (which incedently are quite hard to get missiles down...)
(11) is one of the commonest places to set up on this map, but also the worst as it is very vulnerable to sniping from behind the little ledge at the bottom.
On the whole (8 ) is probably the safest bet, unless you can land at (2) and drop a full set of turrets ASAP
Personally, after invading one of The Empire's colonies on BR with this map, I found spot (10) to be of particular difficulty. Distractor turrets were deployed in the tunnel to (9). Therefore, it was quite difficult to get a decent shot in to the tunnel above that one. Basically had to rush nuke the whole tunnel there, eating green ouchie all the way.
its not that hard, just turn fast and fire nukes facing northeast and bounce them with a decent velocity with the north of the tunnel, negleting the bouncing effect.

DionysuZ

Post by DionysuZ » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:06 pm

actually, a dome placement in 7 is better. There IS distracting possibility in 4, as I helped distract a 10 shot with a domeplacement there. The top of that room is, however, the best choice if you go for a placement in 4, but it still allows for a bit of energy regen further down the hall when you have a distract. I would say position 7 is one of the deadliest

awmalzo

Post by awmalzo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:23 pm

DionysuZ wrote:actually, a dome placement in 7 is better. There IS distracting possibility in 4, as I helped distract a 10 shot with a domeplacement there. The top of that room is, however, the best choice if you go for a placement in 4, but it still allows for a bit of energy regen further down the hall when you have a distract. I would say position 7 is one of the deadliest
ye its between 7 and 4, but it seems that 7 is easier to be distracted then 4, hmm maybe I am wrong but surely those 2 dome placements are best for that layout

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:10 pm

m-boy wrote:will there be 1 up for classic?
Ace/Starwynd used to make the black hole maps. He's no longer making them and I don't have the skill to make them like he did. Unless someone else wants to make ones for the missing perms there won't be anymore posted.

Luna

BLADE2

Post by BLADE2 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:15 pm

I've got the time and the fuel, I'll start mapping the classic server. Send me coordinates people if you wanna help me do this correctly!

Luna

Post by Luna » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:56 pm

So we're missing P4, P5, ROF, Civil War and the Classic server for black hole maps. Anyone with that information please assist BLADE2.

Luna :)

MorteshDoomLord

Post by MorteshDoomLord » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:55 pm

Luna wrote:So we're missing P4, P5, ROF, Civil War and the Classic server for black hole maps. Anyone with that information please assist BLADE2.

Luna :)
i can do it, i just need the locations in the game so i can mark them and do it. but its just a pain application. i could make them if i had the time and information.

B0unty

Post by B0unty » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:07 am

ill try to do it :wink: :? :shock:

sonnytiger3

Post by sonnytiger3 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Is The Permaverse there?

Nomad

Post by Nomad » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:42 pm

sonnytiger3 wrote:Is The Permaverse there?
yes - it's the very first map - perma1...

sonnytiger3

Post by sonnytiger3 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:42 pm

nevermind, found it

sonnytiger3

Post by sonnytiger3 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:26 pm

I find number 12 is eaiest to defend, I have 1. :D [/img]C:\Documents and Settings\Student\Desktop\Mine Forum.bmp

sonnytiger3

Post by sonnytiger3 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:30 pm

I find number 12 is eaiest to defend, I have 1. :D

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:40 pm

awmalzo wrote:
DionysuZ wrote:actually, a dome placement in 7 is better. There IS distracting possibility in 4, as I helped distract a 10 shot with a domeplacement there. The top of that room is, however, the best choice if you go for a placement in 4, but it still allows for a bit of energy regen further down the hall when you have a distract. I would say position 7 is one of the deadliest
ye its between 7 and 4, but it seems that 7 is easier to be distracted then 4, hmm maybe I am wrong but surely those 2 dome placements are best for that layout
Alright (im too lazy to edit the picture and save and all that so.... draw a horizontal line in ur mind just above the little cavern at 7 and remember that)

Now once you've gotten below that line, noone can get closer to the dome than the invader, so there is no possibility to distract, and right there where the cavern at 7 and the passage have the least amount of wall seperating them, that is a very good nuke distractor point, I've had all kindof difficulty with that, I can usually get past it but in my experience it is a loss worse than it looks on that map...

If you can sustain a ten shot solar on the planet 7 is definitely the way to go... I have invaded 4 many times and although it can be quite a I love you man! and a shield eater I can usually get it without much problem (I think it kinda has something to do with the direction of the passageway, its pretty easy on that one to dodge inbetween the solar shots at a far distance (your flying head on just find a passage and run with it) and (although hard on a wide shot) still possible to fool the solar right before the passageway at the dome.

But on 7 your flying against the solar the whole way, and there is no way to fool it long enough to not get hit, at 7 your pretty much sure to get blasted a few times, But, ive found once you get right below the dome theres a nice little place there to dodge the solar for a few secs if you need to... (but I don't think you could if it were on full military though)

ibanix

Post by ibanix » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:03 am

This awesome information put into the wiki for posterity.

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:31 pm

Bullspit!! I've been doming there for years, well before multi-shot solars, which was a pleasant surprise :), altho i have noticed people started calling it hideout recently, I just always called it, that crazy ring with the tunnels I like, only Luna knew which one I was talking about xD.

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:39 pm

Well, I believe all of these tips are from before multi-shot solars so we need some more domeplacement tips for the wiki (if not then some of them are just plain wrong)

We need some help too because I can only post from the perspective of a lone invader while even 2 people adds a lot more invading strategies...

[Edit] btw only a few of the layouts have certain names, a lot of them I have never used a specific name so we could change some names while were at it too.