[Software] SGE Colony Managment Calculator V1.0

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

Do you like this program?

- Yes, great program, thx!
48%
- No, it sucks, you waisted your time.
21%
- Yes, but it needs some updates though.
31%

Total votes: 84

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:33 am

Suggestions:
  • *Remake it in VB (less problems, since people are chronically unable to install propper Java versions).
    *Remake it in PhP and put it in a ri... I mean on a website.

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:26 pm

MadAce wrote:Suggestions:
  • *Remake it in VB (less problems, since people are chronically unable to install propper Java versions).
    *Remake it in PhP and put it in a ri... I mean on a website.
I feel you, but there are 2 problems:

- I have no idea how to program in VB, I don't have a compiler and I don't think that even if I could program in VB and had a compiler I could transfer from Java to VB that easily.

- I don't know any php either (I do know that it's a pretty easy language to manage databases (don't shoot me if I'm wrong)) and I do know how to make data base queries but there's another problem, I don't have a webserver.

HOWEVER if someone that does know VB and php is willing to program it in VB, I will send them my source code and they can use that to try and program it in VB.

But for now I'll stick with Java, sorry eh, besides is it that hard to download one file from the internet and install it?

Tomorrow or the day after that I will launch a version which can calculate pollution on all type of planets with all kind of settings, I'm still thinking over what I'm gonna add next but I'll be working at "De Post" the next month so I don't think that I will program and research a lot the following 4-5 weeks.

Nightmare

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:35 pm

Nightmare wrote:But for now I'll stick with Java, sorry eh, besides is it that hard to download one file from the internet and install it?
:lol:

Shows you have had little experience with programming for people.

I'm a reasonable amateur in VB. And I'm fairly sure I could cook up a VB version of your little program. Could take a while due to having very little spare time or access to computers and internet.

The only thing I basically need are the formulas. (tho the code would be nice for reference)

And isn't there a compiler included in the VB.net thingy? If not, I'll get me one.

Same for PhP. I know nothing about the language, but how hard could it be? ;)

I only know it from simple web forms, which is basically what your program is.

Webserver: Wouldn't have to be a huge webserver, considering it's "only" a web form with an ego.

Since I suck (correction SUCK) at everything SQL related It'll have to remain with that little form I'm afraid.

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:49 pm

SQL was one of my major courses this year, I'm pretty good at it as long as you don't need correlated subqueries.

And yes I am a total newb, but I only do this for the fun of it and originally I wasn't going to put it here on the forums so be glad I did anyway.

And yes I know php is pretty easy, I'm just to hugging lazy to start learning it on my own from scratch, it's freaking vacation :roll:

If you want the source code I'll mail it to you, I added comments (for myself in English) taht you might find useful, I'm sure some of it can be done a lot easier but I'm far from pro atm so I don't really care.

Just ask we what version you want and I will give it to you, my program is far from done though so I don't really know how useful it's gonna be to give you the current source code.

Nightmare

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:54 pm

I'm overjoyed you put it on the forums, you lazy hug. ;)

I'd like 3 things:

-Source code of the latest version
-List of variables
-List of formulas

(the two latter since I don't know java and don't want to depend 100% on others to translate it)

Expect a finished version somewhere around the launch date of Duke Nukem Forever. :lol:

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:59 pm

Lol ok, I'll finish the version I was working on now first then, Rojo's beta testing it for me as we speak, I'll pm you the formulas, my shitload of variables (I have a redicules number of them :)) and the source code to you tonight or tomorrow.

Nightmare

DionysuZ

Post by DionysuZ » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:56 pm

If ya want i can make the php version of it then, since I have a lot of php knowledge. Great tool nightmare.

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:14 pm

DionysuZ wrote:If ya want i can make the php version of it then, since I have a lot of php knowledge. Great tool nightmare.
Thx :P

Sounds like a plan to me, you talk to MadAce how you gonna do the webbased thing, cuz I'm totally clueless lol.

Nightmare

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:18 pm

I'll upload a fully working pollution version this week-end :)

Nightmare

rojo

Post by rojo » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:45 pm

I lost my copy somewhere in a file NM...need another one to beta test, will download it to the desktop this time.

:(

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:59 am

Still waiting for the source code. :evil:

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:19 pm

Pmed you the source code.

Putfile is having maintance atm so I'm gonna have to wait a while to upload, use the uploaded version for beta testing Rojo, should some things be calculated wrong I can still adjust. Take your time testing and try to write down somewhere accurately what went wrong and what the settings were with things went wrong.

Don't pay attention to 0.01 faults though cuz those will always stay I'm afraid. Starting from 0.02 off the real pollution is what I consider incorrect.

EDIT: I uploaded to rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/46915772/Co ... orV112.jar

Nightmare

Luna

Post by Luna » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:09 pm

Bump

Talak.Winstar
Location: In Space, contemplating how exactly to negate the crappy events of OMD and BND story arcs.

Post by Talak.Winstar » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:18 pm

My I aslo recommend GameSpy.com for file hosting? :)

JD

Post by JD » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:01 am

I can build a VB version. I am really good with it. Or i can build php version. Plus i can also host the file. :wink:

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:04 am

JD wrote:I can build a VB version. I am really good with it. Or i can build php version. Plus i can also host the file. :wink:
That would be nice.

I'm trying to disect the java thingy so I can make a VB version. Progress is really slow. I'd get there, eventually, of course.
Ask Nightmare for the source code.

rojo

Post by rojo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:39 am

8) Nightmare makes programming look sexy 8)

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:38 pm

Future updates will include:

- Tax calculator.
- The ability to read files so you can create your own "colonial database".
- Weapons production calculation.
- Harvesting calculation.

Next small update is to be expected for the first week of September.

Nightmare

Talak.Winstar
Location: In Space, contemplating how exactly to negate the crappy events of OMD and BND story arcs.

Post by Talak.Winstar » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:43 pm

Neato! :D

May I also suggest a weapons calculator for various colonial settings if its not been implemented already? :)

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:34 am

Talak.Winstar wrote:May I also suggest a weapons calculator for various colonial settings if its not been implemented already? :)
Nightmare wrote:Future updates will include:
Nightmare

Talak.Winstar

Post by Talak.Winstar » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:13 pm

Nightmare wrote:
Talak.Winstar wrote:May I also suggest a weapons calculator for various colonial settings if its not been implemented already? :)
Nightmare wrote:Future updates will include:
Nightmare

I know this is suppost to be a thing devoted to colonies. But Nightmare, Einz, begin scripting of a calculator that determines how quickly artifacts will decay now, as kit's decaying artifacts ARE being implemented soon... Hoping toonces add's super bad donkey combos and the ability to carry more than 3 artifacts because if not, we're screwed! D:

milo

Post by milo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:03 pm

i've done a few rough calculations regaurding bursts per minute of the solar and the number of people on military setting. it tends to come out near 1 burst per minute for every 25 colonists on military setting. don't know if i took everything into account and i only made observations of volcs if that makes a difference.

nice program and if you don't mind i'd like to include it in my website. i don't have much experience with includign java programs in my websites but i'm sure i could figure it out with frontpage and a little research on the subject.

a few improvements that would be nice are:
- make the sliders so that the sum of their %'s is always = 100%. this would help otherwise you have to do all the adding in your head.
- allow user to choose between the two stages of democracy. it's best after a few days :)
- also a neat feature would be to see how much of each resource a colony will produce with the given settings. (i think this was already suggested)
- and finally when it is fully developed i hope it will be able to run a simulation of your colony so you can see how your colony does over time

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:46 pm

milo wrote:i've done a few rough calculations regaurding bursts per minute of the solar and the number of people on military setting. it tends to come out near 1 burst per minute for every 25 colonists on military setting. don't know if i took everything into account and i only made observations of volcs if that makes a difference.
Ahh intresting, I will investigate briefly if it's different on different types of planets but I don't think there is any influence other than military % and military tradition research.
milo wrote:nice program and if you don't mind i'd like to include it in my website. i don't have much experience with includign java programs in my websites but i'm sure i could figure it out with frontpage and a little research on the subject.
Sure go ahead, it has credits attatched to it anyway so I'm cool as fas as that is concerned, I don't know how to imbed/include Java programs in websites neither but if you're really stuck I'll do some own research (best pm me if you do).
milo wrote: a few improvements that would be nice are:
- make the sliders so that the sum of their %'s is always = 100%. this would help otherwise you have to do all the adding in your head.
I've thought about that, this is actually a lot harder than I thought it would be but I might be abel to fix it, however, seeing as non of the sliders do anything yet, I haven't gone through the trouble yet :D
milo wrote: - allow user to choose between the two stages of democracy. it's best after a few days :)
I have no idea what the moral difference between a normal democracy and a "stage 2" democracy is, if you or anyone DOES know and mails me the difference between stage 2 and stage 1 moral or just the moral of stage2 I can work it out.
milo wrote: - also a neat feature would be to see how much of each resource a colony will produce with the given settings. (i think this was already suggested)
Also something I considered, but this would require a BBQ load of in-game research to implement, I'd have to take into account all those 2x harvesting researches with each 5 levels..., again, if someone has researched it, programming that isn't a problem, getting the right numbers is.
milo wrote: - and finally when it is fully developed i hope it will be able to run a simulation of your colony so you can see how your colony does over time
It allready does on my version :P, I have a "go x days in time button" which calculates pollution and experience, again, production of weapons, construction time, harvesting and , hell, even research I could all program in and make accurate predictions about. But again I lack the research material (and the will to do the research :P myself).

Thx for the post, it was really constructive, all research material is welcome!

Nightmare

Turkey

Post by Turkey » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:19 am

Nightmare wrote:I have no idea what the moral difference between a normal democracy and a "stage 2" democracy is, if you or anyone DOES know and mails me the difference between stage 2 and stage 1 moral or just the moral of stage2 I can work it out.
Stage one is a +0.9 to the first morale subtotal, the second stage is +1.8 (which I gave you). I'm not sure when it changes, I think after about a week.

I intend to get that harvesting rates stuff at some point, but I'm waiting for the colony system to change to something more... playable.

milo

Post by milo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:39 pm

Stage one is a +0.9 to the first morale subtotal, the second stage is +1.8 (which I gave you). I'm not sure when it changes, I think after about a week.
i'm pretty sure it is no longer than 3 days before it switches over. and nightmare just mail me what you want me to investigate and i'll do it. i got plenty of time and am pretty bored with the game right now.

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:03 pm

Excellent thx for the additional info Turkey :P

Research material that is more than welcome:

- Construction speed, and what things influences construction speed and how much they do.

- Harvesting rates, and their influences

- Weapon production, and its influences

Research is impossible to deceipher because I'm pretty sure a Random generator based on system times is used for that.

If you can think of anything else I missed and that could be calculated somehow feel free to do stuff.

About you doing research, there are a couple of important pointers:

- Make sure you research a couple of similar colonies so you're results are accurate enough.

- Make sure that you're only having one influence at a time so you're numbers don't screw up. (e.g.: A volcan colony with spice mining researched has a different harvesting rate than one without it.)
I know that sounds very logical but be you have to look out well, I for example forgot to note if the earths I researched when doing pollution had churches of earth or not and I had to redo the whole thing.

- All variables I've been using so far are /colonist. This means that if you for instance see that 5 5k pop semi-equil deserts harvest 500 spice/h, the spice harvesting variable would be 0.1/h(/colonist).

- Once you've obtained all factors, do some test runs yourself, pick a random colony on a server and add up your variables and see if your calculations add up.

Just pm or mail me if you find out anything, thx in advance.

Nightmare

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:58 pm

Nightmare wrote:Excellent thx for the additional info Turkey :P

Research material that is more than welcome:

- Construction speed, and what things influences construction speed and how much they do.

- Harvesting rates, and their influences

- Weapon production, and its influences

Research is impossible to deceipher because I'm pretty sure a Random generator based on system times is used for that.

If you can think of anything else I missed and that could be calculated somehow feel free to do stuff.

About you doing research, there are a couple of important pointers:

- Make sure you research a couple of similar colonies so you're results are accurate enough.

- Make sure that you're only having one influence at a time so you're numbers don't screw up. (e.g.: A volcan colony with spice mining researched has a different harvesting rate than one without it.)
I know that sounds very logical but be you have to look out well, I for example forgot to note if the earths I researched when doing pollution had churches of earth or not and I had to redo the whole thing.

- All variables I've been using so far are /colonist. This means that if you for instance see that 5 5k pop semi-equil deserts harvest 500 spice/h, the spice harvesting variable would be 0.1/h(/colonist).

- Once you've obtained all factors, do some test runs yourself, pick a random colony on a server and add up your variables and see if your calculations add up.

Just pm or mail me if you find out anything, thx in advance.

Nightmare
I tried this a while back when the first calculator came out... I did only use one variable... I had been working on it all day and i believe i came close to figuring out the formula but my corp called me to go invade someone and then after looking at my data a few days later (i dont keep good notes) i couldnt figure out what the hell i was doing and nothing made sense... ahh.. i just realized i didnt take into account the benefits from the different researches :oops: ... oh well im not doing it again that was pretty time consuming... we should just ask toonces

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:49 pm

Euh what exactly did you research then?

It is possible, I did pollution on my own, that was pretty hard, and Turkey even cracked the moral and population fomulas.

Nightmare

milo

Post by milo » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:34 pm

lol, so last night i worked on making a microsoft excell sheet to crunch the raw data(resource and weapon data that is) into useful rates. i can e-mail it to anyone else interested in gathering data. just pm my your e-mail address.

i am using it and it helps out quite a bit. just don't mess with the forumlas.

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:34 pm

Send me the data once you have perfected it it, excellent work :P

I "might" make a .NET version since that seems to be a more convenioned programming enviroment, but then people would have to download the .NET framework (which isn't very userfriendly).
But since I'm still pretty new to the whole .NET enviroment I might be overlooking some possibilities that .NET has.

We will see I guess, most of the work I've done so far went to the GUI, and since I have a really "friendly" .NET compiler I might be able to make a .NET version out of the Java version pretty easily.

It's good to see some people wanting to help me with research, their efforts make me want to put more work in this.

BTW, I (re)programmed the stage 1 and 2 democracies in, I'll update the program version once I have had some time to clean up the GUI. (My version is somewhat disordered atm) This will most likely take place this week-end.

Nightmare