Some of them
38%
Meh...
10%

Total votes: 21

Freakazoid

[IDEA] On aliens, artifacts, small planets and more

Post by Freakazoid » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:06 pm

THIS IS A REVISED VERSION OF THE ORIGINAL POST.

Ok, after reading the replies, here is the redesigned view of an outpost:

Planet type: tiny planets only
Population: 25(just as a normal biodome) - 100 //NOTE: that small population raises the problem of construction time required to finish buildings//
Buildings available:
Radar Jammer
- hides the presense of an oupost
Broadcast Reciever
- alerts the owner about entries/exits to the system
Warehouse
- similiar to a refinery, except that no harvesting is possible

Workforce allocations:
- construction (no exp construction is possible)
- System scanning (speaks for itself)

An outpost cannot be captured //But I'm not too sure if it makes sense concept-wise
Instead in is destroyed, abandoned upon breaching.

On Aliens

My idea:
Some planets (1 planet for 100 systems) give a message about alien infestations, when attempted to land. The planet itself contains a larger number of stronger aliens, at least 30 and one alien mother
Alien mothers have the following characteristics:
- 20,000 shields (health)
- fires green solar cannon fire, 2 bolts a second. A hit deals 250-500 damage and reduces energy
- lookes like some wierd flower, with tentacles (not like an enlarged version of normal aliens)
- weights 1500 tonnes and is the size of a biodome

Upon its destruction, a player gets
- an artifact (randomly chosen) or a number of credits 500k-1mil
- 2500-5000 experience, half of which is awarded during combat, and the other half after destruction

Of course, until the alien is destroyed, colonies cannot be founded

New artifacts:
- Strange device
This artifact can be brought to a colony, and researched/constructed. Upon completion, the colony gets a constant benefit, randomly chosen from the following list. The benefit is listed under alien technologies tab, which appears, after the artifact has been properly researched.

- Terraforming
a randomly chosen resource is harvested 10-20% faster. If the resource cannot be harvested, the artifacts generates it at a rate of 10/hour
- Prosperity aura
morale +.2-.5
- Climate control
reduced pollution, .5-1.0%
- Advanced energy source
weapon factory works with a 5-10% bonus
- Stasis fields
all defences have 5-10% more health
-Longevity
increases population growth 10%
-Alien knowledge
all normal researches are instantly completed

This artifact is as rare as other high end artifacts (like IG suits, superconductors e.t.c.). More than one artifact can be brought to the colony.
Last edited by Freakazoid on Thu May 31, 2007 1:14 am, edited 11 times in total.

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:13 pm

I myself would like an uber alien, but the rewards would have to be carefully balanced. 5k exp sounds like too much to me.

Tiny worlds and gas giants can't be colonized so artifacts and sleepers have somewhere to go when all other planets have domes on them.

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:23 pm

Tiny worlds and gas giants can't be colonized so artifacts and sleepers have somewhere to go when all other planets have domes on them.
They will still have gas giants ;)
Besides on rebangs it is nearly impossible to colonise every planets, so there would be plenty of room to sleep.

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:41 pm

there isnt as many gas giant as tinies :D and two is better than one. Plus why colonize tinies on rebangs if theres normal planets to colonize on? =P

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:21 am

there isnt as many gas giant as tinies :D and two is better than one. Plus why colonize tinies on rebangs if theres normal planets to colonize on? =P
<sigh> As I've said, to provide the player with intelligence about people moving through your system, and to fire at your enemies in space. Imagine if there is a galaxy where most routes to Sol go through a single system. If you have an outpost there, you'll know who enters/exits this system, giving you a good advantage. If you are hiding on a planet and have an outpost in the same system, you'll know when the attackers leave, e.t.c. Outposts are and colonies are not the same, there is no reason in completely filling your system with them.

What about other ideas? I haven't gotten any feedback about the artifact :)
P.S. Try to read thorough the entire post...I know it's tiresome, but still... ;)

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:43 am

:) I did read the whole thing, and you do have some interesting ideas. Your idea for the outpost is pretty good, it has some cool features without being overpowered. Some way to track player movements would be interesting. It would, however, have a pretty big impact.. as it is now its pretty hard to discover where your rivals are, something like this could change how the game is played a lot. I think you recognize this in the limitations you list for the outpost. On the flip side, a lower turret limit and no solar would make the outposts very easy to capture. And there is the point that Dark brought up; that there are more tinies than gasses, and I'm still not sure taking tinies out of the picture for artifacts and sleepers would be a good thing.

I'm not sure how I feel about the terraforming kit. Again, an interesting idea, but one player who got lucky and found a terraformer and therefore has a more powerful colony seems a bit unbalanced to me.

All in all you have some cool ideas, but I'd be concerned about their impact on the game balance.

xi

Post by xi » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:25 am

idk about aliens ruling supreme on a server, but i like your other ideas...
i think they should add new defenses maybe some uncraftable ones, obviously new ships (i also think ship custimization would be fun, like u have 15 points to place in either speed, armor, energy regen, dmg, turning, thrust, cargo, warp efficiency, that way ppl could play to their styles...also i think there should be different size planets big medium small...mixes of planet types, like lavamountain...and capital/corp HQ options...just my thoughts

Elemayo

Post by Elemayo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:52 am

I like the idea of intelligence outposts. But I think you shouldn't be able to put defenses around them, this would take away the problem of artifact hunting. In fact I think that an outpost can't be captured at all. You would just destroy it. A population of 50-100 would be sufficient and it should have the ability to hold 100 hardware (weapon caches) for invading. The outposts should be more of a hidden thing than a small base. (ex. You start an outpost in an enemy system that you plan on taking later and can monitor enemy movement and have weapons in system) Outposts should have 4000-6000 shields so they can be destroyed with a few nukes. So you're taking a risk loading up an outpost with 100 nukes for later. This would allow a new strategy aspect in the game, and surprise attacks across the galaxy would be possible. And can be built on Tiny's or Gas Giants.

An outpost should have two buildings. A warehouse (for storing hardware, maybe any hardware including biodomes for builders) and a Relay Station (for monitoring in system activity)

The warehouse should be capable of holding 100 hardware items. To build this a rush would be cost 200k-300k, and would require a very low amount of resources if any.

A Relay Station would cost 100k-150k to rush and should cost no resources at all.

You should be able to drop off up to 100mil on the outpost, and the destroyer of the outpost would get 25% of any money left on the colony.

No researches. And the outpost should require a colonist amount on it, again 25-100 (or so).

This idea wouldn't unbalance the game at all. You're taking a huge risk putting anything on an outpost considering it can be destroyed by anyone with a peashooter. The idea is that you can create an outpost in a relatively short amount of time, so you wont be at huge loss of time even if it's destroyed right after. It would add a better strategic feel of Starport.
And I think it's a good idea.

-Elemayo

Stiffler

Post by Stiffler » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:30 am

One of the greatest ideas ive read. everything except 5k exp for the big alien, could throw off reangs if u got a whole bunch of corp members going around killing em. I love everything else.

mentalbutcher

Post by mentalbutcher » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 am

I think the terraforming kit would be too overpowering, would even make earthlikes obsolete.

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:01 pm

Thanks for the great feedback, guys, I appreciate it. These ideas are not finished, however, so if you have a correction, please share :)
One of the greatest ideas ive read. everything except 5k exp for the big alien, could throw off reangs if u got a whole bunch of corp members going around killing em. I love everything else.
Thanks for the kind word :) I was meaning to say that 5k of exp is the total amount awarded for killing the alien. If you have a bunch of corporate members around, 5k will be shared among them. I was thinking of awarding 2.5k for combat, and 2.5 for blowing it up. Just think of it as killing a very tough NPC (leutenants and robbers come to mind). And of course the awarded amount can always be adjusted.

But what about aliens in the game in general? Do you think they are undeveloped?
I think the terraforming kit would be too overpowering, would even make earthlikes obsolete.
Well, again, the idea could be adjusted. I was meaning to say that terraforming kit gives only one of the bonuses described (determined randomly perhaps?). I don't think that a one time bonus of +1 morale per hour, or a decrease in pollution would be too overpowering. Think of it as getting a rare artifact: when you pick up IGS remains, you might find a cloak of disguise, or highly useful superconductor.
I personally think that the concept of alien technology is undeveloped in the game. What if alien technology could be mastered? What if players could sponsor the research of alien technology, leading to more powerful items, or new colony buildings?. (I have to admit, the post smells like X-COM a bit ;)) LETS NOT discuss this here though, there are enough ideas as it is. Anyone interested can start a new thread :roll:

On outposts: there are some great ideas here, but I dislike the thought of an outpost being nothing more than a storage location. The same things could be achieved with rushing a weapon station on any habitable planet, you'll also get UN protection this way.
I think that outposts should be:
- hidden (not sure how this will affect the balance)
- should NOT shoot in space (dunno what I was thinking)
- should detect movement to and from the system
- should not be UN protected (although you could argue with that)
- no solar, but defendable with turrets/lazers (again the balance might shift, since people will be hunding for easy exp, not sure how to get around this)

Key thing: an outpost is NOT a colony, or a smaller version of one. It cannot research or harvest, but it can have some specific functions that colonies don't have (due to some factors like higher gravity, atmosphere, size, e.t.c.)

Again, I'm really happy about all the feedback, lets keep workin on it, people 8)

Elemayo

Post by Elemayo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:22 pm

No I didn't mean the outposts to be just storage facilities.

The outpost can only hold hardware items up to 100. So 100 nukes, or 100 lasers.

Adding defenses to an outpost would make it too colony-ish.
You can defend it with mines, since you can drop mines on any planet anyway.

The idea for an outpost is to spy on enemy activity, and add a more strategic feel to Starport. Anyone can build an outpost, and anyone can destroy it. They're just useful tools, that wouldn't be worth building tons of them.

Also I forgot to add. Out posts don't have the ability to produce money or weapons, just store them.

Another building I thought would be cool would be a Radar Jammer.
It would jam any scans on the planet or in the system (with neutrinos) 40% of the time, so we don't make greenhouse's obsolete ;)

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:12 pm

Another building I thought would be cool would be a Radar Jammer.
It would jam any scans on the planet or in the system (with neutrinos) 40% of the time, so we don't make greenhouse's obsolete
Radar Jammer would be cool, but if a system has a couple of tinies with outposts on them, the probability of a succesful scan diminishes significantly.

I also think that if an outpost could store nukes/flaks, colony invasions will be too easy. I mean, yes there is a risk factor in transporting weapons to an opponets system, but most of the time the attackers wait till everyone logs off, before invasion. Besides, same results can be achieved by rushing a wp factory on any free planet.

Keep in mind that this is a work in progress.
Last edited by Freakazoid on Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:28 pm

On Aliens
I think, we should adress only one idea right now, the idea of a super alien.
Right now there are 3 types of planets:
- UN owned
- Player owned
- empty (may hold an artifact)

My idea:
Some planets (1 planet for 100 systems) give a message about alien infestations, when attempted to land. The planet itself contains a larger number of stronger aliens, at least 30 and one alien mother
- fires green solar cannon fire, 2 bolts a second. A hit deals 250-500 damage and reduces energy
- lookes like some wierd flower, with tentacles (not like an enlarged version of normal aliens)

Upon it's destruction, a player gets
- 2500-5000 experience, half of which is awarded during combat, and the other half after destruction

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:46 pm

New artifacts:
- Strange device
This artifact can be brought to a colony, and researched/constructed. Upon completion, the colony gets a constant benefit, randomly chosen from the following list. The benefit is listed under alien technologies tab, which appears, after the artifact is properly researched.
- Weather control (NOT weather prediction)
added population growth +10-25%
- Terraforming
a randomly chosen resource is harvested 10-20% faster. If the resource cannot be harvested, the artifacts generates it at a rate of 10/hour
- Prosperity aura
morale +.5-1.0
- Climate control
reduced pollution, 1.0-2.0%
- Advanced energy source
weapon factory works with a 5-10% bonus
- Shield generator
all defences have 5% more health

This artifact is as rare as other high end artifacts (like IG suits, superconductors e.t.c.). More than one artifact can be brought to the colony. :wink:

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:46 am

over half the things u mentioned here would make the game unfair and probley the last of toonces precious token buyers would leave..
First of all, this is a work in progress... :roll: I am also unsure about the unbalanicing. None of the things suggested give a huge advantage to a player. Outposts, for instance, can be built by any player, but only a player with a skill can achieve maximum advantages. Big aliens give a good reward (2.5-5000exp) but the risks are greater too. The terraforming kit will not make a colony hugely overpowered.
Besides there is an element of randomness, that already exists in the game. Anyone can get lucky and stumble upot a thief/ensign NPC in a crappy ship, and get easy exp for it. Anyone can find a superconductor/IG suit in IGS's remains. I believe that my ideas will add new variety for the game. Except for outposts, none of them will change Starport in a way that will cause many experienced players to leave.

Now having said that, I urge people to read my REVISED ideas and adress THEM, instead of the original.

It would also be awesome to justify your opinions, instead of dropping one line responses. :P
Last edited by Freakazoid on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:06 pm

Ahem...Anyone there...?

Sorry for so shamelessly bumping up my post :oops:, but I think at least some of the ideas here have potential :D.

General_Neox

Re: [IDEA] On aliens, artifacts, small planets and more

Post by General_Neox » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:53 pm

Freakazoid wrote: Planet type: Tiny

Population Max: 1000

Defenses: A tiny planet can have 20 Lasers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buildings available:

Radar Jammer
- hides the presense of an oupost on radar

Satelite Dish
- alerts the owner about entries/exits to the system

Warehouse
- Placing of weapons and resources is possible here but they cannot be made. Max for weapons is 250 max for resources is 5000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Workforce allocations:
- construction (no exp construction is possible)

An outpost can be captured but loses its population upon breaching.

Otocon

Post by Otocon » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:37 pm

To make a outpost even more usefull, maybe the radar jammer should not only work in space but on the surface too. When you land on a planet the outpost wont show on your radar but you have to see it for yourself.

madman3063

Post by madman3063 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:41 am

this is kinda leaning a lill too towards star wars but hellz i love the idea of the outpost, and the radar jammer but not so much the aliens :S i would love the outpost idea in battle royale lol i rly need it against podies and spear.head.inc.

Elemayo

Post by Elemayo » Thu May 31, 2007 2:42 am

I forgot about this thread. It's like 3 months old, geez.

Outposts should be implemented. I love the idea.

J..

Post by J.. » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:04 am

Otocon wrote:To make a outpost even more usefull, maybe the radar jammer should not only work in space but on the surface too. When you land on a planet the outpost wont show on your radar but you have to see it for yourself.
this is what i was thinking. alittle off topic there should be a bunch of defenses/things to build (outposts being one of the buildings). the "invisible" defenses would help protect an outpost and mabey a colony? i'm sorry for going off topic but mabey you could come up with a way to implement these with you outpost idea.

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:03 am

limit the outposts to 10per person, or all tinies will be instantly colonized in permas.

Jiachi
Location: Earth, vandalizing tunnels to keep the colonial flow going *shh, don't tell*

Post by Jiachi » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:28 am

DarkLStrike wrote:limit the outposts to 10per person, or all tinies will be instantly colonized in permas.
If these things are so easy to destroy, and you consider them any kind of threat to you, I'm guessing that they'd be cleaned up roughly as quickly as they'd be built, unless -everyone- completely ignores them altogether. Heck, no defenses whatsoever, and dead at the drop of a dime, let the players themselves limit each other. You know, the reason why we shoot down every idiot who asks for a hard colony number cap, or other ignorant obscenity. :mrgreen:

Kratophrak

Post by Kratophrak » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:02 am

madman3063 wrote:this is kinda leaning a lill too towards star wars but hellz i love the idea of the outpost, and the radar jammer but not so much the aliens :S i would love the outpost idea in battle royale lol i rly need it against podies and spear.head.inc.
thought spear was dead?

Talak.Winstar
Location: In Space, contemplating how exactly to negate the crappy events of OMD and BND story arcs.

Post by Talak.Winstar » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:50 am

No spear came back as the 4gotten, and pods has become the New spear head inc.... shame they own most the planets on the server and dont intend on upkeeping anything they deprive from their victims -.-

haloking1122
Location: That one place where people go when they get banned

Post by haloking1122 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:49 am

:D Love the ideas btw :D

Anyway upon the lines of the outpost the idea is fantastic bangs would have greater element of strategy besides get money kill NPCs spice repeat. This could alsot be implemented in perms too. i know that many people have a hard time looking for a place to store or get weapons from in an enemy system. this is even more useful for invasion strategy for players that arnt that well along in the game. they could use the outpost as a supply in a far flung area of the galaxy so that when planets free up they have the biodomes there with some lasers or resources to keep it going.

Talak.Winstar
Location: In Space, contemplating how exactly to negate the crappy events of OMD and BND story arcs.

Post by Talak.Winstar » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:41 pm

Freakazoid wrote:On Aliens
I think, we should adress only one idea right now, the idea of a super alien.
Right now there are 3 types of planets:
- UN owned
- Player owned
- empty (may hold an artifact)

My idea:

Upon it's destruction, a player gets

I think there should be a special research, one that entails the taming and enhancement of indigenous aliens.... Xeno-Taming lvl 1: Alien is under your control, endurance against weapons is increased by 5%, and an alien's weapon damage is increased to 50 points per hit. Xeno-Taming lvl 2: Same as above except alien's endurance is increased by another 5%, Alien's weapon strength increased to 75 points per hit, and has a random bonus effect added to it (I.E. Slow and can track what its shooting at, quick seeking, and inherent weapon can be heated saliva [fires a stream of goo/black fireballs at enemy's ship]). Xeno-Taming lvl 3: health is boosted by 10%, damage, and aforementioned attack bonuses remain the same. Xeno-Taming lvl 4: Health caps at a 12% increase, damage done by an alien's weapon is increased to 100 plus a random damage bonus depending on what that weapon's special property is (anywhere from an additional 30 points to 80), Reproduction rate of aliens is increased by 40%. Xeno-Taming lvl 5: Damage is increased to 150 points per hit OR an Alien could gain a defensive feature at the expense of its weapon (I.E. extended point defense, Increasing defense against nukes and other missiles by 25%, and has the potential to heal itself and nearby cannons by 35%.) To make things more interesting, at level 3 and higher levels of this research, there is a very rare chance that an alien could assume the functional ability of a solar cannon (except it cant shoot more than one bolt at a time, and they only inflict half the damage of a normal solar cannons' bolt, not to mention the bolts it shoots are blazing red/orange instead of yellow). :)

ChainLinc

Post by ChainLinc » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:53 pm

for the mother-alien thing, I just realized that aliens re-spawn with time. So say something like if the number of aliens reaches a certain point they can make mother-aliens, and maybe if it gets high enough they can make alien bio-ships like the Zerg in Starcraft. Jk about the bioships. But this would be an incentive to keep the alien population under control, because otherwise you need a five man escort to colonize a planet.

Gameguy009

Post by Gameguy009 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:53 pm

If you can't put a colony down on a planet with a mother alien, what about colonies that are already on a planet? If it gets a mother alien does it die? Maybe add a new slider that says Alien Population, and they take care of it? Or it be one of those things where it dies if it gets an alien mother? *Throwing out ideas*.

Outposts would be fun, it sounds like it would add more flavor *to make up for what it has lost, 10/10 research, the ranking system (Make it top 10 emps), etc.* to the game, and make it fun.

If it can say when people come in and out of the system, what about if a planet in that system goes DD? *Just a thought :) *.