SAT for life

For non-Starport related topics

Moderator: Major

GRAWRG.

SAT for life

Post by GRAWRG. » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:38 am

as pj puts it. i want there to be an SAT for life. except it's a pass/fail sort of thing. you take the test and pass... you're an adult. you now have adult rights. i havent thought about this extending to adults who fail the test... but. i know that im tired of being smarter than a good bit of america and having no rights.

JesusRocks765

Re: SAT for life

Post by JesusRocks765 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:08 am

Now this is an interesting topic to debate for those of you who are tired of debating Religion, should your entire adult life be laid out by a single test? I say no, I await the other side's first argument.

Caia

Post by Caia » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:57 am

GRAWRG. wrote:as pj puts it. i want there to be an SAT for life. except it's a pass/fail sort of thing. you take the test and pass... you're an adult. you now have adult rights. i havent thought about this extending to adults who fail the test... but. i know that im tired of being smarter than a good bit of america and having no rights.
I actually wholeheartedly agree with this.

Havok

Post by Havok » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:33 pm

I don't know about a test to make you an adult, but there should definitely be a civics test required before you gain the right to vote, maybe even make people retake it every 10 years. Most people in America couldn't tell you who represents them in the Senate or the House, much less their state legislature. Informed and educated electorate = less shenanigans from the crooks in Washington.

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:46 pm

that starts getting really complicated though. should you not be allowed to try strive for what's best for you just because you're stupid? cause if you take away stupid peoples right to vote, that's what you're doing. id call you a liar if you said you knew what each individual politicians motives were, and all the actions they make. knowing what you want is half the battle, figuring out how to get it via voting... it's just easier to let people do what they think will benefit them. imo.

and idk how the "SAT for life" would be constructed... the point is that it's possible. so technicalities are... technicalities 0.o point being, we all dont get the same things out of 18 years of living. and even if we did, some of us would still be "children" because we werent born with the same mental capacity as others. i dont think it's fair to generalize like that, when the cost of such a generalization is almost ALL rights of a large number of individuals. the US is supposed to be all about personal rights... where the hell are mine?

oh, and not to mention the fact... who controls these peoples lives if they arent able to? the guardians! newsflash, guardians dont always know best. ive known a number of people who's parents cant even take care of themselves. why should they be at the mercy of some druggie? it's wrong.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:59 pm

Woa woa woa nothing so vague and general here. I got a 2090 on the SATs and a 34 on the ACT (with writing). Thats a very large discrepancy because they are different tests trying to measure the same thing.
I agree with what Caia says, a civics test required for voting rights, and perhaps some basic history knowledge tests (Who was the first president? Do we speak American or English?)for things like medicaid and food stamps. Again this is a big MAYBE because it is very dependent on the content of the tests and any possible bias, but there needs to be some discouragement for stupidity engrained into the system.

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:18 pm

note: this topic isnt about voting rights...

also, your discrepancies dont matter. at all.

also, caia didnt say anything about voting rights, that was havok.

also, are you saying we should let people starve because they're stupid?... on second thought, just dont answer. but you should probably rethink what you've said.

back to the SAT for life...

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:01 am

I meant to say that tests aren't the same for everyone, with the discrepancies thing. And as for the starving people....hug I should probably shut up :/ Not feeling well sorry.

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:29 am

I dont think a single test should set you for life, but an annual test or something that could give you more liberties may be a good idea :D

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:06 am

i know that tests arent the same for everyone. but it's just an idea. it could be paper, it could be verbal it could be.... a secret? or maybe not even a test. maybe you just submit information that you think qualifies you as being an adult. im just not concerned with the specifics, because i think SOMETHING could be worked out.

sorry for being a dick in my last post.

JesusRocks765

Post by JesusRocks765 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:46 am

GRAWRG. wrote:i know that tests arent the same for everyone. but it's just an idea. it could be paper, it could be verbal it could be.... a secret? or maybe not even a test. maybe you just submit information that you think qualifies you as being an adult. im just not concerned with the specifics, because i think SOMETHING could be worked out.

sorry for being a dick in my last post.
Interesting concept, would work as long as there isnt only 1 test to determine it all - and what exactly does "qualifying as an adult" mean to you? Voting Rights? Driving Rights? Alchohol consumption Age? Please specify what liberties you would expect from this test.

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:23 pm

Interesting idea, but who's to say what kind of information is befitting of being allowed to be an "adult". I have taken a good many tests in my lifetime that have ended up being funfact tests. (tests that ask you to regurgitate generally pointless facts that dont really show you actually UNDERSTAND the concept at large).

i certainly dont trust the government to come up with such a test, as they (congress/ presidential candidates) have proven themselves to be a bunch of self interested whining 5 year olds.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:23 pm

LordSturm wrote:Interesting idea, but who's to say what kind of information is befitting of being allowed to be an "adult". I have taken a good many tests in my lifetime that have ended up being funfact tests. (tests that ask you to regurgitate generally pointless facts that dont really show you actually UNDERSTAND the concept at large).

i certainly dont trust the government to come up with such a test, as they (congress/ presidential candidates) have proven themselves to be a bunch of self interested whining 5 year olds.
This right here is my biggest concern, who decides what gets put on the test?