Our Universe

For non-Starport related topics

Moderator: Major

User avatar
Moleman
Posts: 1837
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:13 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Our Universe

Post by Moleman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:11 pm

MadAce wrote:
Moleman wrote:Purposely misunderstanding someone you say?!

I love the smell of hypocrisy on a Sunday evening! ;)
Firstly, supposing I am a hypocrite, this does not thwart my point one bit.

Secondly, are you somehow exempt from being a hypocrite yourself because someone else (supposedly) acts like one? If I kill someone, does that act give you the right to do the same? Think about that for a second.

Thirdly, I wasn't purposively misunderstanding you. You can deduce this easily from the fact that if I were , you wouldn't have understood me doing it. So don't flatter yourself too much.

Fourth: The guy who ever told you were witty and quick on your feet... Don't trust him. Seriously.

Fifth: Next time you find yourself too stupid to answer a question, admit to it and don't just attempt to derail a thread to hide it. It will intensely decrease your little b!tch status.
Ok, i'll bite just a little.

1. You had a point, really?

2. Wat?

3. I know English isn't your first language but I've read that at least 3 times and still can't understand it much less form a coherant response.

4. Surely you haven't resorted to insults this quickly!?

5. Ah, you have. :cry:

If we can drag this back to my original, innocently asked question for a second, "what was before the beginning?".

The basic conceit behind my question could be clearly understood by someone as young even as my 4year old daughter. Rather than discuss that basic concept in the manner in which it was asked you decided to counter with the pseudo intellectually awesomeness of "How can there be a before if there isn't time?", your disingenuous problem with the validity of my question, etc.

I had no desire to play, you got mad, the end!

User avatar
MadAce
Posts: 4280
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:12 pm

Re: Our Universe

Post by MadAce » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Moleman wrote:
MadAce wrote:
Moleman wrote:Purposely misunderstanding someone you say?!

I love the smell of hypocrisy on a Sunday evening! ;)
Firstly, supposing I am a hypocrite, this does not thwart my point one bit.

Secondly, are you somehow exempt from being a hypocrite yourself because someone else (supposedly) acts like one? If I kill someone, does that act give you the right to do the same? Think about that for a second.

Thirdly, I wasn't purposively misunderstanding you. You can deduce this easily from the fact that if I were , you wouldn't have understood me doing it. So don't flatter yourself too much.

Fourth: The guy who ever told you were witty and quick on your feet... Don't trust him. Seriously.

Fifth: Next time you find yourself too stupid to answer a question, admit to it and don't just attempt to derail a thread to hide it. It will intensely decrease your little b!tch status.
If we can drag this back to my original, innocently asked question for a second, "what was before the beginning?".


And I'll re-ask the question we would have to answer before answering yours.

How can you have a before if there isn't time?

I'll even explain the question a bit: Right now we can classify events relative to each other and to our own perception of the present. So we can say event A happened before event B, right? This is possible because we can map events on a time line, right? How can we say event A happened before event B if there isn't a time-line?


But really, the fact that you were unable to simply understand my previous reply really doesn't bode all that well for your future in this thread. Hell, you can't even grasp the simple notion that your understanding of your own question, even tho it is completely illogical considering the context, is an excellent illustration of how our deterministic way of thinking hampers us in answering the question you asked.


Best to admit you're out of your depth and call it quits. It takes more of a man to admit that you simply are unable to understand something than to keep pretending your still in the game.

It takes a little b!tch to blame ones own inability to understand on someone else.

User avatar
MadAce
Posts: 4280
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:12 pm

Re: Our Universe

Post by MadAce » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:59 pm

Dave34 wrote:So you're just answering questions with other questions and insulting someones intelligence instead of answering the question that was asked?
I'm insulting someone's intelligence because it's warranted.

And, in order to answer his question, we'd have to answer mine. If someone asks what's written on a piece of paper before it was made I should be allowed to ask how something can be written on a piece of paper if it doesn't yet exist.

I would answer my question myself. But I do not know the answer to my question.
You will notice in life people generally tend to ask questions because they want to know the answer. Often I indulge in the same behavior. Other people, like myself, who are interested in learning things also have this character trait (or flaw?).


BTW, thanks for your contribution, Dave34. I know some people look down one someone stating the fµcking blatantly obvious for no apparent reason other than to prolong an already petty and pointless argument, but I honestly believe it's a job that should be done. Some people, such as you, are here to remind us of the merits of birth control.

User avatar
Major
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Our Universe

Post by Major » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:10 pm

This is not as funny as I hoped it would be.

Pick up the discussion from the last relevant argument minus the insults (pseudo-insults, name-calling, heavy petting allowed on a case by case basis, anything deemed to be too cruel, spiteful, malicious or blatantly stupid will be modded to reflect the silliness of the OP).

Every time you flame one another I will eat a kitten and/or randomly delete 5 ontopic posts.

User avatar
Moleman
Posts: 1837
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:13 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Our Universe

Post by Moleman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Yup, like I said. :roll:

User avatar
MadAce
Posts: 4280
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:12 pm

Re: Our Universe

Post by MadAce » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:29 pm

Ok, guys. Next time when I ask a question you don't understand, don't assume I'm trying to bait you into something. Like I said before. If I were, you wouldn't notice.
MadAce wrote:
Moleman wrote:
MadAce wrote: my original,question "what was before the beginning?".


And I'll re-ask the question we would have to answer before answering yours.

How can you have a before if there isn't time?

I'll even explain the question a bit: Right now we can classify events relative to each other and to our own perception of the present. So we can say event A happened before event B, right? This is possible because we can map events on a time line, right? How can we say event A happened before event B if there isn't a time-line?

Another (less apt but easier) analogy:

How can something be written on a piece of paper before the paper exists?

Dave34 wrote:
MadAce wrote: If someone asks what's written on a piece of paper before it was made I should be allowed to ask how something can be written on a piece of paper if it doesn't yet exist.
You can verbally ask someone before writing it down on the piece of paper.

But I get the general idea, nothing can't become everything due to the law that matter can not be created or destroyed, so Nine-Breakers theory is probably the best thing that's been posted so far on this thread. We will never know what happened or how it was created, so no answer is wrong, or correct, as long as it sounds plausible.
If you ask someone before writing it on the piece of paper it's not written on the piece of paper. No matter in what way the information is stored, it wasn't written on the piece of paper.
And unless you're able to reconstruct the analogy back to the universe and what was "before" it, I should warn against overly expanding analogies.


My general idea wasn't what you suggest it was.


Even the laws nine-breaker stated of conservation of energy/matter/information do not apply in the same way our perception of time doesn't. Those laws were learned by us INSIDE the universe, as they are part of the universe.

For all we know these laws are null and void "outside" of the universe.
But considering there's no space if there's no universe I must say the previous statement was illustration only.
Dave34 wrote:
It's funny how I haven't insulted anyone on this topic and someone else feels the need to boost their bloated ego's :roll:

If we all b!tch to toonces about the problem I think the problem could get banned.
I don't have a problem with my ego.

See my previous quote of what you said? That was your reply before you edited it. It was fine and on-topic. But for some reason you couldn't drop it. You couldn't let go, as I could.


I'm sorry, but if your ego doesn't allow you to drop an online discussion even tho it's over then maybe you should seek your ego-tripping elsewhere. Or try some serious introspection. If you want, I know a great site to learn awareness meditation. This could help you.

Now could we please get back on track?

User avatar
nine-breaker
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:48 am
Location: Locked in epic battle with Morgoth

Re: Our Universe

Post by nine-breaker » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:11 am


User avatar
RiveraK2
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Our Universe

Post by RiveraK2 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:05 pm

PhAraOH wrote:Who agrees with the big bang theory and who doesnt? those who don't, what do you think happened?
I'd like to hear what some of you have to say :)
Its like the chicken or the egg paradox. Where did this energy come from if the universe was empty before space/time?

User avatar
PhAraOH
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:44 am

Re: Our Universe

Post by PhAraOH » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:19 pm

wow i remember this. was like the first topic i made i think...

User avatar
RiveraK2
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Our Universe

Post by RiveraK2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:04 pm

PhAraOH wrote:wow i remember this. was like the first topic i made i think...
Made a whole year ago! =O

User avatar
Caia
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:15 pm

Re: Our Universe

Post by Caia » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:17 am

Careful! There is a Necromancer among us!

Post Reply