eyesight

For non-Starport related topics

Moderator: Major

omlow

Re: eyesight

Post by omlow » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:32 pm

you could put a theory behind it. even though i just made this up on the spot it could work:

perhaps the fact that you cover your eyes (without closing them) causes your pupils to hastily change size would stimulate your optic nerve and muscles. this stimulation could strengthen the eye, perhaps affecting the overall soundness of the eye resulting in better sight.

an entirely unproven (and very short) theory but pretty plausible i'd say. bearing in mind i know nothing of the subject.

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:05 am

Major wrote:Mr. Miagi would be pleased.
Greatest post ever.

M2-Destroyer

Post by M2-Destroyer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:53 am

I'm actually inclined NOT to believe Latias, however, what if the Eye's regenerative properties are similar to the skins?

Ie - A cut on your knuckle is much more likely to heal faster, if you don't use that finger, don't bend it where the cut is.

The same principle MIGHT be similar to the eye's.

It is entirely possible, afterall, there have been no documented scientific ventures into this, but then again, it might not be possible for the same reason.

Caia

Post by Caia » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:05 pm

M2: If it WERE possible, then sleeping eight hours a night would regenerate your eye sight as well. Given the amount of people who sleep and the lack of them that get better eye sight, well, I think anyone can do the math.

omlow

Post by omlow » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:06 am

Caia wrote:M2: If it WERE possible, then sleeping eight hours a night would regenerate your eye sight as well. Given the amount of people who sleep and the lack of them that get better eye sight, well, I think anyone can do the math.
of course for this to be true you'd have to sleep with your eyes open in a dark room, as closing your eyes causes different nervous reactions within the eye than covering them or darkening the environment.

MutedJazz

Post by MutedJazz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:13 am

I'm going to be incredibly blunt about this technique....

You are telling people to cover their eyes with their hands to shut out the light...

Why the hug would you not just turn the lights out for three minutes?

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:31 am

What I don't understand is how this 1 person trying to give some advice has created a discussion about stupid wives tricks to have better eyesight. :roll:

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:21 am

Dave34 wrote:OK, the techniques described in this topic are wrong and don't help your eyesight. The proper way is to actually go outside, and make sure it's nice and sunny out, and stare directly at the sun, that is the important part. Now stare at the sun for 20-25 minutes, their you now have perfect eyesight! If you want to know how learn how to breathe under water without scuba gear just ask me!

Hope this helped!
How do you breathe under water without scuba gear, Dave. Of course you are obligated to try the techniques you supply before you give them out to the public. (I somehow believe you stared into the sun for 20-25 minutes....) :mrgreen:

GRAWRG.

Post by GRAWRG. » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:54 am

Dave34 wrote:
Mel'Kaven wrote:How do you breathe under water without scuba gear, Dave. Of course you are obligated to try the techniques you supply before you give them out to the public. (I somehow believe you stared into the sun for 20-25 minutes....) :mrgreen:
You basically have to cut slits in your neck till they turn into gills :>

And yes, sun staring is a redneck pass time, my best time is 4 hours.
this post is a safety hazard. the concentrated number of morons on these forums make this post the cause of possible future lawsuits xD

i think that's worded terribly. tbh i accidentally deleted it the first time, and i cba to do BBQ.

MelKaven

Post by MelKaven » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:40 pm

GRAWRG. wrote:
Dave34 wrote:
Mel'Kaven wrote:How do you breathe under water without scuba gear, Dave. Of course you are obligated to try the techniques you supply before you give them out to the public. (I somehow believe you stared into the sun for 20-25 minutes....) :mrgreen:
You basically have to cut slits in your neck till they turn into gills :>

And yes, sun staring is a redneck pass time, my best time is 4 hours.
this post is a safety hazard. the concentrated number of morons on these forums make this post the cause of possible future lawsuits xD

i think that's worded terribly. tbh i accidentally deleted it the first time, and i cba to do BBQ.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GuardianDragon

Post by GuardianDragon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:37 pm

ok, I've been way to busy to come on lately, but today is Saturday, so I have some time. :)
I think this technique has something to fix something mentally, all you guys are thinking physically, like the eye getting damaged, but looking at a computer screen isn't like staring at something to bright for your eye's to handle.
The site says your eye's get lazy, looking at the computer screen, it doesn't say anything about them getting damaged, so I think that when you "see darkness" it moves your brain to try to see better. because your brain knows if your eye's are open or not, and it knows what your seeing... (explains how you do things without thinking, the unconscious part of your brain takes over in dangerous situations. happens to me all the time.)

so...has anyone tried yet? It's been a couple weeks I'm very curious to see if someone has tried yet.
P.S. I found that doing it longer than 3 minuets is better, but 3 a day will be steady progress, but I'm doing 7 a day because I can't wait to see the doctor XD

omlow

Post by omlow » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:38 pm

even though your eyes don't actually get lazy and they DO get damaged. using computers for long periods causes you quite simply to not blink, over drying and damaging the sensitive tissues within your eye. this is a very physical matter.

but i agree with the part about in darkness (rather than having your eyes closed) your eyes have to work harder, which makes your theory quite very plausible.

0zzy
Location: P1, 11th, a new hope, BR, DF, P3, Pegasus Cluster, your mothers room.

Post by 0zzy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:14 pm

Dude if you're obsessed with a way to cure your eyes forget this stupid excercise and get laser eye surgery -.-

I didn't need glasses 2 years ago, now I do... I will try your excercise, because I'd rather be an idiot who tried a dumb internet thing than an idiot who could have saved himself a life time of contacts/laser eye surgery.

PhAraOH

Post by PhAraOH » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:20 pm

Latias, I would have tryed this but my eyesight doesnt need fixed :D
Last edited by PhAraOH on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuardianDragon

Post by GuardianDragon » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:41 am

0zzy wrote:Dude if you're obsessed with a way to cure your eyes forget this stupid excercise and get laser eye surgery -.-

I didn't need glasses 2 years ago, now I do... I will try your excercise, because I'd rather be an idiot who tried a dumb internet thing than an idiot who could have saved himself a life time of contacts/laser eye surgery.
Don't forget that laser surgery costs a lot, sometimes doesn't work, and never recommended to be done more than once in your whole lifetime-even if it doesn't work.
I'm glad to hear you'll try :)

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Sleep should have the same effect, after all, its not your eyes that close, its your eyelids, and if no light comes in, then the end effect is the same, I've been sleeping for a couple decades now and my eyesight hasn't gotten any better...

So try this experiment.
Stay up for 3 days playing sge
look around
notice how bad your vision is.
Go to sleep
wake up
see how much better your eyesight has gotten.

If you eyesight isn't all blurry any more, then it works :P

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:32 pm

Latias wrote:
0zzy wrote:Dude if you're obsessed with a way to cure your eyes forget this stupid excercise and get laser eye surgery -.-

Don't forget that laser surgery costs a lot, sometimes doesn't work, and never recommended to be done more than once in your whole lifetime-even if it doesn't work.
I'm glad to hear you'll try :)
Ozzy, please send me $2,000 from the money tree in your backyard so I can get laser eye surgery.

0zzy

Post by 0zzy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:36 pm

My family is rich, Money isn't a problem.

I tried it, it makes my eyes feel a little better, but no vision is restored.

Looks like its laser eye surgery.

omlow

Post by omlow » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:40 am

nine-breaker wrote:Sleep should have the same effect, after all, its not your eyes that close, its your eyelids, and if no light comes in, then the end effect is the same, I've been sleeping for a couple decades now and my eyesight hasn't gotten any better...

So try this experiment.
look around
Go to sleep
wake up

nervous reactions within the eye differ from when your eyelids close and you manually deny light access to the eye (put hands over them, sit in a dark room etc)

if what i say is wrong (which it isn't) you'd be able to sleep with your eyes open. but even in the blackest of black rooms you still need to close your eyes to sleep. ever thought about that nine-breaker?

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:04 pm

I would say closing your eyes is more of a matter of comfort. Even when keeping eyes open you blink, which is a conscious effort.

0zzy

Post by 0zzy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:29 pm

omlow wrote:
nine-breaker wrote:Sleep should have the same effect, after all, its not your eyes that close, its your eyelids, and if no light comes in, then the end effect is the same, I've been sleeping for a couple decades now and my eyesight hasn't gotten any better...

So try this experiment.
look around
Go to sleep
wake up

nervous reactions within the eye differ from when your eyelids close and you manually deny light access to the eye (put hands over them, sit in a dark room etc)

if what i say is wrong (which it isn't) you'd be able to sleep with your eyes open. but even in the blackest of black rooms you still need to close your eyes to sleep. ever thought about that nine-breaker?
Wut bout Sleep walkers?

Poof, you just got 0zzy'd!

GuardianDragon

Post by GuardianDragon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:07 pm

0zzy wrote:My family is rich, Money isn't a problem.

I tried it, it makes my eyes feel a little better, but no vision is restored.

Looks like its laser eye surgery.
sorry guys been sick for a bit.
Ozzy how long did you try for? you might need to do it for a few more days.

BTW guys, you only blink so your eye's get dry. -.- when I yawn and get some water in my eye's, I can use that water to make my sight better to, only for a short time though, (but anyway) and while that water is in my eye's, I don't need to blink, the only reason I would blink when I had the water is if was a mental thing. (me thinking I have to blink(even though I don't))

And I agree with omlow completely, it is the same as being in a dark room, it's just sometimes (for some people) hard to get a room so dark.

P.S. I learned that no matter how hard you try, you can't block all light if you are in it. be in a room that is already dark when you do this, it's why I do this in my bed before sleeping, and listen to a song that is as long as I want to use this technique. yea I tried in an hour long bun ride and it was sunny out, I could still see a faint pink, which is not good enough, you should only see black. More than black, you should even start to see shapes because it's so dark.

GuardianDragon

Post by GuardianDragon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:35 pm

hey guys guess what. :D
after about 6 months of doing a couple exercises, I finally get to see the eye doctor today :D

GuardianDragon

Post by GuardianDragon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:48 pm

alright, I'm back from the doctors, and I'm really happy to see my eyesight didn't change one bit. kind of strange to hear right? but it's a good thing. I get checked once a year, approximately the same time every year. I started these exercises on Christmas day, the one just 6 months ago. so it's been about half a year since I've started, and I probably started half a year after my last test. I know my sight has been getting better lately, so I think what happened is that my sight got bad for 6 months, then the last 6 months I repaired it as fast as I was damaging it before.
Next year there will defiantly be a difference (in a good way!), now that the tests say this works, I'm motivated to keep going strong. :)

btw everyone, I found a second technique to improve eyesight, I find this one working much faster...and this new one has some interesting side effects :D I don't want to let all my secrets out to a forum that doesn't care though, so if you care, please let me know! :wink:

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:58 pm

Latias wrote:alright, I'm back from the doctors, and I'm really happy to see my eyesight didn't change one bit. kind of strange to hear right? but it's a good thing. I get checked once a year, approximately the same time every year. I started these exercises on Christmas day, the one just 6 months ago. so it's been about half a year since I've started, and I probably started half a year after my last test. I know my sight has been getting better lately, so I think what happened is that my sight got bad for 6 months, then the last 6 months I repaired it as fast as I was damaging it before.
Next year there will defiantly be a difference (in a good way!), now that the tests say this works, I'm motivated to keep going strong. :)

btw everyone, I found a second technique to improve eyesight, I find this one working much faster...and this new one has some interesting side effects :D I don't want to let all my secrets out to a forum that doesn't care though, so if you care, please let me know! :wink:
I have glasses, and my prescription hasn't changed in 3 years, and I haven't been doing your exercises. Your test group is to small, there is no proof yet.

GuardianDragon

Post by GuardianDragon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:49 am

Cloud1 wrote:You can buy those anti-glare screens for the monitor, and turn down the brightness/contrast. Your eyes do need some rest, which you should take brakes, eye exercising or not. You also shouldn't have the light off when using the computer, because it increases the glare.
thanks cloud, I'll keep that in mind, just seeing how I play all the time in the dark, and don't often take breaks, and normally put strain on my eyes by having the screen too dark (even worse with the lights off) and my eyesight still hasn't gotten worse...well it did, but it's better now :D

what do you need as proof nine-breaker. I'll find some of this proof for you. almost seems stupid how I'm telling you right here as easy way of fixing your eyes free and naturally and no one tries it...I think ozzy tried for like 4 days, which isn't enough. your even wearing glasses.

something else, I don't know if I ever said this already, but in case I haven't.......when doing these exercises, the longer you do it the quicker it works. it's like having momentum. I notice a great difference in the morning, my eyesight are always getting better even when I'm not doing the exercises, as long as I keep doing them daily.

GuardianDragon

Post by GuardianDragon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:35 pm

thanks for trying is cloud :) your right, the proof is doing it. I didn't try circle yet so I'll try it tonight.
since your trying it, I guess I'll tell you the other way I found out about...
this one is the opposite but still works...and btw, it's much easier. close your eye's and face then sun for about 5 minutes a day. much easier make sure the sun is not to intense when your doing it. and of course not to open your eye's while doing this. lol
some nice side effects, this is supposed to decrease light sensitivity. you know when you go outside and you sometimes can't open your eye's? this should make it easier to look around in brighter light.
Another thing (and this one is kind of strange), my eyesight is better in the sunlight. if it's cloudy outside my sight is still much better, but once the sun came out, I was totally amazed to see that everything was so much clearer, but only were there was more light...you'll see.
thanks again cloud you have a brave soul.

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:00 pm

You guys are being just as illogical as you say that latias is. I agree, this does not sound like it would plausibly work (sorry Latias, and I don't have bad eyes to test with), however when have you ever seen a scientist disprove a hypothesis by saying it sounds silly? You still have to run an experiment specifically designed to test the hypothesis while taking as many variables as possible into account before you can definitively say that the hypothesis is unsound. Personally I would never make latias' hypothesis, but if I wanted to disprove it experimentation is the only scientifically acceptable way. You numbskulls are complaining that he doesn't have a sizeable test population, when he just made this post in an attempt to get you to try it (therefore increasing his number of test subjects), which you all ignored and just ridiculed him for it, with the exception of Ozzy and Cloud1.

Try it before you act like a forum troll and claim his idea is stupid and/or illogical and won't work. Until you do, you have less evidence than he does, and so all your arguments would amount to nothing in a scientific community.

GuardianDragon

Post by GuardianDragon » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:46 pm

right now it just feels relaxed, in about a week you'll "feel" your eye's getting better, but the change will be so slight that you can't really "see" the difference until latter.

oh, I didn't mean look at the sun, I just meant to face it with closed eyes. (oh I left this part out, but it may sound obvious, the light has to touch every part of your eye, :P small detail but it's important.)

thanks to you to invaderzim, I'm glad to see some more open minded people

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:40 pm

The eyes are one of the only few regenerative organs in the human body, and sleep is when the body shuts down all but the most necessary bodily functions, to rejuvenate all that can be rejuvenated. I'm not an anatomist, and I don't claim to be, but looking in pure darkness would be no different than closing your eyes in a dark room, after all, your eyes aren't closing, your eyelids are. Therefore keeping your eyes open with your hands over them, would only make your hands a less effective version of your eyelids. Human, along with most species on this planet have already adapted and evolved to best suit the habitat they reside in, so your methods seem counter productive to me. I think that sleeping longer would provide you with more benefit than your current methods do, and don't be alarmed at the grogginess after just waking up, the human body is more similar to a computer than most people believe, we can take a while to "boot up" at times. But a good restart always helps.

Hope that wasn't too illogical for you. :D