Survivors Guide to the Apocalypse

For non-Starport related topics

Moderator: Major

nine-breaker

Survivors Guide to the Apocalypse

Post by nine-breaker » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:50 pm

Coming from a militaristic family, having some military training myself, living in the country, and being smarter than the average person, has made me very adept in the arts of killing, and since everyone has a fear of the upcoming Apocalypse thought I would share some knowledge with my friends in the hopes that, if some thing does happen in our lifetime, it can help you survive.

Explosives
Sparkler Bomb
-ingredients: 120 sparklers, 10 rolls of electrical tape, or 7 rolls of duck tape, cardboard, scrap
-how to: bundle the sparklers with scrap metals or nails placed randomly throughout, tie together with tape at each end. Cut the card board into 2 separate pieces. Cut a hole in the middle of one of the pieces of cardboard. Place the cardboard on each end of the bundled sparklers hole piece on top. pull a single sparkler through the hole. Wrap a piece of tape length ways to hold the cardboard in place. Continuously wrap the bundle in tape until very compact. Make sure everything is covered with tape.
-Usage: Anti-personnel, light the sparkler that is sticking out, wait until it is burned almost all the way down, and trow at enemies, or low armored vehicles, for an effective and improvised explosive frag grenade.

Incendiary Grenade
- ingredients: Pool shock (ground chlorine) brake fluid, metal pipe, 2 metal pipe caps, fuse, nail, black powder, heavy duty aluminum foil, super glue, rubber sealant
- how to: glue nail onto cap. push fuse up through cent of cap. Place the cap on the end of pipe. put a very very small amount of black powder, then chlorine. put a small amount super glue all the way around about 1 inch above the chlorine, then take some aluminum foil and cover the chlorine, let sit for about 6 minutes. Take your rubber sealant and seal the edges of the aluminum foil... THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, MAKE SURE IT IS SEALED! let sit until dry. Simmer your brake fluid until thick and gel like, use low heat in a thick pot. Pour your brake fluid in on top of the aluminum foil. seal the pipe with the other end of the cap.
-Usage: Light the fuse, wait till you have about 10 seconds of fuse left, throw the bomb. When you hear the small pop of the black powder going off. When the black powder goes off it will push the nail trough the aluminum foil. The chlorine and brake fluid together will cause a chemical reaction. In about 20 seconds enough pressure will have built up to simultaneously melt and combust the pipe. Spreading fire trough out a 10ft radius, and filling a room with toxic gas.

Napalm Bomb
-ingredients: Gasoline works best (but diesel and kerosene will also work), fuse, Styrofoam (any kind, though packing peanuts makes it kind of stringy) glass jar or mason jar(as long as it has a lid). Cloth
-how to: Pour your fuel of choice in a large bowl. Pour in Styrofoam slowly, while constantly mixing. When it gets to the same consistency of mayonnaise, or a little thicker its ready. Punch holes in the center of each lid. Put a fuse in each jar. fill about a 3rd of the way full of the mixture. coat part of each rag in the remainder of the gasoline. Wrap the rag around the fuse with the gasoline part touching the fuse, and also assuring the fuse stays centered. Push the fuse through the center of each lid. Tighter lid very tight.
-Usage: Light the fuse, when the fuse gets about a centimeter away from the rag, throw it at your targets base, assuring that the jar breaks upon impact. Will instantly kill anyone around 7 feet, and will cause severe burns to anyone with in 15 feet. Will catch anything on fire, could be used to burn down an enemy building.
-Note: Found this one out the hard way, made some when I was 15. Threw one out on the concrete carport, it actually burned a hole through the concrete about 3 feet wide, all the way to the dirt, which had became partially crystallized. About 10 feet in either direction of the hole was pitch black. Mom and dad was not pleased with this, and I spent a few days of my summer mixing concrete and repairing the driveway.

Projectiles and other information will be added later, I'm tired of typing atm. :D

Pwnster

Re: Survivors Guide to the Apocalypse

Post by Pwnster » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:15 pm

wtf?

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:37 pm

I really love these kinds of survivalist types. Here they are building hide-outs, training about weapons and guerrilla warfare. And when the apocalypse actually hits they'll realize they should' learned to be good farmers and doctors in stead of good warriors.

Hilarious.

It's so cute how they try to justify their urge to murder, maim and slaughter their fellow human beings with an "Hey, it's just in case that...".

Ah, kids...

Tho I do think nine-breaker is bound to be a real survivor in the post-apocalyptic world. After all, he says he's smarter than the average person and he managed to excellently conceal that. An impressive feat of deception if I ever saw one.

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:50 pm

How would you defend your farm? You don't think people are just going to let you raise food without sharing do you? I'm not a survivalist, I don't have 20 million guns and 7 tons of ammo stored in a makeshift bunker under my house, nor do I have a thirst for murder. I'm just a guy who simply likes blowing BBQ up, and finding different ways to make stuff.

Haven't you ever seen Mad Max Road Warrior, the post apocalyptic world is going to be full of cannibalistic motorcycle riding mo-hawk mutants, and these squishy starportians are a pretty scrumptious meal. :D

Wagon

Post by Wagon » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:14 pm

MadAce wrote: Tho I do think nine-breaker is bound to be a real survivor in the post-apocalyptic world. After all, he says he's smarter than the average person and he managed to excellently conceal that. An impressive feat of deception if I ever saw one.
NEGATIVE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_L0PstDP2c

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:23 pm

nine-breaker wrote:How would you defend your farm? You don't think people are just going to let you raise food without sharing do you? I'm not a survivalist, I don't have 20 million guns and 7 tons of ammo stored in a makeshift bunker under my house, nor do I have a thirst for murder. I'm just a guy who simply likes blowing BBQ up, and finding different ways to make stuff.

Haven't you ever seen Mad Max Road Warrior, the post apocalyptic world is going to be full of cannibalistic motorcycle riding mo-hawk mutants, and these squishy starportians are a pretty scrumptious meal. :D
Defend the farm against what? Other farmers?

Economically speaking it's a lot easier to grow your own food than to rely on parasitism. Something you can only do for a few years. And you'll run out of resources long before that.

There's a reason we moved from being hunter-gatherers to being farmers.

Wagon

Post by Wagon » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:45 pm

MadAce wrote:
nine-breaker wrote:How would you defend your farm? You don't think people are just going to let you raise food without sharing do you? I'm not a survivalist, I don't have 20 million guns and 7 tons of ammo stored in a makeshift bunker under my house, nor do I have a thirst for murder. I'm just a guy who simply likes blowing BBQ up, and finding different ways to make stuff.

Defend the farm against what? Other farmers?

Economically speaking it's a lot easier to grow your own food than to rely on parasitism. Something you can only do for a few years. And you'll run out of resources long before that.

There's a reason we moved from being hunter-gatherers to being farmers.
stop blinking at me.

Wagon

Post by Wagon » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:39 am

Dave34 wrote:
MadAce wrote:I really love these kinds of survivalist types. Here they are building hide-outs, training about weapons and guerrilla warfare. And when the apocalypse actually hits they'll realize they should' learned to be good farmers and doctors in stead of good warriors.
The farmers and doctors can hire warriors and "barbarians" to defend against other warriors, and "barbarians".
But of course the farmers and doctors would need to pay taxes to other farmers and doctors who rule over them. These rulers would need a movement system to transport food and other necessities, which would need to be insured. This brings about the need for insurance salesmen, which brings about excess "spending" money, which brings about the need for an entertainment industry. This all culminates for the need of Kevin Bacon. All in all, humankind cannot survive through an apocalypse without Kevin Bacon.

-Muffin-

Post by -Muffin- » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:00 am

I'd kill myself, chill in Heaven and laugh at you fools :)

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:02 am

-Muffin- wrote:I'd kill myself, chill in Heaven and laugh at you fools :)
According to Christianity suicide is an unforgivable sin, there fore you would burn in hell... :D

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:14 am

nine-breaker wrote:
-Muffin- wrote:I'd kill myself, chill in Heaven and laugh at you fools :)
According to Christianity suicide is an unforgivable sin, there fore you would burn in hell... :D
Yeah but then again, why does the Pope-mobile have bulletproof glass? What is he afraid of? Someone is going to shoot him, he would die and go to heaven? Yeah that would be awful. ~Drew Carey

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:56 pm

so i guess your plan is to rely on everyone after an apocalypse to be reasonably intelligent, possess a strong work ethic, and have high moral fiber? from anything and everything you have ever posted here, i have inferred that you feel quite the opposite about the people you deal with here at the least, if not society in general.

so my question is, if we don't possess those qualities now, how the heck can you even pretend we would be any better after a world ending catastrophe?

if you think dealing with logic immune lazy scumbags on these forums is a pain, wait until a couple hundred of us show up at your little ranch with our makeshift explosives. i doubt your sharp wit will have much effect on the panic stricken cannibals from nine-breaker's bleak vision of the future.

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:14 pm

Knife

Now, in the post apocalyptic world (if heaven forbid you can't find a knife anywhere) you will need to make one. A knife is the building block of survival. You need a knife for hunting, skinning, tool crafting, the list goes on.

Ingredients: flint at-least 6 cm wide, 10cm long(the only stone I have ever used, it's very easy to work with) the pointiest rock you can find, it needs to be good density, and about the size of your palm. I went oldschool and used an antler tip off of a buck my uncle shot, but seeing how this could be a problem if you cant find a way to kill a deer yet, I'm sure there would be plenty of scrap iron and steel around. Wood plank (pine works best poplar is also good)
How to: Take your wood and sit it on your lap, place the flint on top of the wood, use your antler, bone or scrap metal, and start chipping away at the flint. While your chipping be sure to designate an area where your hand will go without cutting yourself. Once you have your flint chipped to the desired shape, take your rock and flake your blade. This will smooth out the blade and give you a sharp edge. Making this takes about 2-3 hours.

Bow string
I don't know how to make sinew so I will tell you how I made mine, and maybe you can improvise.
Ingredients: Knife, cloth (a t-shirt works fine), glue/sealant
how to: use your knife to cut your cloth into .5 cm strips, about 4-6 should be enough, depending on the thickness of the cloth. You want your bow string to be about 7 inches longer than your bow. Tie 1 end of each strip close together on a sturdy cross way. Tie the other ends to a dowel rod or stick. Start spinning your stick clockwise so the strips start wrapping around each other. Be sure to keep plenty of tension while spinning to avoid it knotting as it gets tighter. Once you start feeling a little bit of resistance in the spin, use your glue or sealant and stroke it up and down with one hand while spinning with the other hand (yea, i know it sounds perverted, grow up). As you keep tightening the string the sealant will be compressed out onto the surface, just keep rubbing it up and down and be sure your string isn't knotting any where. When you get the really tight buoyant feel, then its time to tie it off. Before you start the long and difficult tying process lock the rod in to where it wont move and leave the sealant to dry. In a couple hours check your string, if the sealant is dry then its time to start tying. Carefully untie the far left string, then tie it to the next one. Repeat with the other two. Then take your tied pieces (which should be two pieces) then tie them together to form a loop. When you tie, tie the spins opposite, so it doesn't unravel on you. Repeat on the other end, except don't form a loop yet. Take the unlooped end and pull it through the loop and back up, and tie the two tied ends together, and wait for your bow.

Bow coming soon, got tired of typing again.

Major

Post by Major » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:40 am

"Zombie survival guide",

then "World War Z".

Author Max Brooks.

end of discussion.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:55 am

if you are a nut worrying about the apocalypse, then u already have guns-n-ammo

Step 1
steal a hydrogen fuel cell submarine (yes they exist)

step 2
steal mining equipment

step 3
steal farming and hydroponics equipment

step 3
waterproof mining equipment for use in 1-500 feet deep water

step 4
tunnel out a secret-underwater-self-sufficient-biodome/submarine pen

step 5
make occasional recruiting runs into navy ports to
man your creation

step 6
perform pirate-esque coastal raids to steal some women (or use the promise of salvation to bring them willingly)

step 7
make a few Caesarions and Caesarias.

Step 8
use equipment, man-power, and underwater mining equipment to expand you fleet and tunnel network. With enough time, effort, and foresight, you could become the next leader of the world, and bask in you imperial glory as you watch savages get eaten by zombies, or mutated by radiation, or get wiped out by Africanized killer bees etcetera etcetera

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:04 pm

Americans! :lol: :shock:

kenoneill

Post by kenoneill » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:58 pm

irish survival guide
step 1, procure a large amount of alcohol
step 2, get more alcohol
step 3, just to be on the safe side better get some more alcohol.
step 4, find a high mountain or hill and move your alcohol there
step 5 get wasted and wait for the world to end

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:10 am

kenoneill wrote:irish survival guide
step 2, get more alcohol
I might just have to kick it Irish style 2012 :D :D :D

-PLAGUE-

Post by -PLAGUE- » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:10 am

I think ill just say that if it truly was an apocalypse. an Apocalypse is the end of the world. the whole world.... you can be a farmer a survivalist whatever you want. but you will not have a planet. therefore you will die. which is why i shall be an astronaut.

/win.

captainjf

Post by captainjf » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:47 pm

nine-breaker wrote:Napalm Bomb
-ingredients: Gasoline works best (but diesel and kerosene will also work), fuse, Styrofoam (any kind, though packing peanuts makes it kind of stringy) glass jar or mason jar(as long as it has a lid). Cloth
-how to: Pour your fuel of choice in a large bowl. Pour in Styrofoam slowly, while constantly mixing. When it gets to the same consistency of mayonnaise, or a little thicker its ready. Punch holes in the center of each lid. Put a fuse in each jar. fill about a 3rd of the way full of the mixture. coat part of each rag in the remainder of the gasoline. Wrap the rag around the fuse with the gasoline part touching the fuse, and also assuring the fuse stays centered. Push the fuse through the center of each lid. Tighter lid very tight.
-Usage: Light the fuse, when the fuse gets about a centimeter away from the rag, throw it at your targets base, assuring that the jar breaks upon impact. Will instantly kill anyone around 7 feet, and will cause severe burns to anyone with in 15 feet. Will catch anything on fire, could be used to burn down an enemy building.
-Note: Found this one out the hard way, made some when I was 15. Threw one out on the concrete carport, it actually burned a hole through the concrete about 3 feet wide, all the way to the dirt, which had became partially crystallized. About 10 feet in either direction of the hole was pitch black. Mom and dad was not pleased with this, and I spent a few days of my summer mixing concrete and repairing the driveway.

Projectiles and other information will be added later, I'm tired of typing atm. :D
Ive been pondering this for some time, and I've talked to a lot of people. I dont think it is possible for Gasoline to burn hot enough to melt through concrete. I aslo talked to a Vietnam veteran, and we came to the conculsion that Napalm would not melt through concrete, although phosphorus will. I'd like a little more elaboration on this please.

Luna

Post by Luna » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:52 am

Safety in numbers. Cooperation will combine the skills necessary to defend what's yours, and you'll need a combination of brains and brawn to survive.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:06 am

kenoneill wrote:irish survival guide
step 2, get more alcohol
GJ ken lol :lol:

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:53 am

Luna wrote:Safety in numbers. Cooperation will combine the skills necessary to defend what's yours, and you'll need a combination of brains and brawn to survive.
I dont know Luna.. i think ken has it down :lol:

mcdfatty

Post by mcdfatty » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:27 am

2012? If you really want to know how the world really feels about itself and how it will die, then i suggest you watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCpjgl2baLs

Yep that video practically sums it up.

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:25 am

mcdfatty wrote:2012? If you really want to know how the world really feels about itself and how it will die, then i suggest you watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCpjgl2baLs

Yep that video practically sums it up.
Lol funny accents.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:09 am

tekkamanblade wrote:so i guess your plan is to rely on everyone after an apocalypse to be reasonably intelligent, possess a strong work ethic, and have high moral fiber? from anything and everything you have ever posted here, i have inferred that you feel quite the opposite about the people you deal with here at the least, if not society in general.

so my question is, if we don't possess those qualities now, how the heck can you even pretend we would be any better after a world ending catastrophe?

if you think dealing with logic immune lazy scumbags on these forums is a pain, wait until a couple hundred of us show up at your little ranch with our makeshift explosives. i doubt your sharp wit will have much effect on the panic stricken cannibals from nine-breaker's bleak vision of the future.
I just noticed I never replied to this message.

As for reasonably intelligent, work ethic and high moral fiber.

If you either have to shape up or die then trust me, people will shape up. In that sense an apocalyptic event is a fairly good, albeit quite primal, case if natural selection.

My misanthropism is a direct result of the stark realization that we as a species are quite stupidly screwing around like retards while not in the least living up to our full potential. At least us who are the minority who have everything we need are the worst example of what humanity has to offer.
However, in a situation where instincts take over I'd say we're more prone to the kind of basic, predictable intelligence that would allow us to survive.

As for the morons typically found on these forums... It's quite obvious they'd be at the sharp end of natural selection receiving most of the blows. Especially if they'd get it in their mind to start making explosives themselves, the poor fools.

The ones that do manage to only blow up only one of their limbs and stagger to my farm will face a fairly hard choice. Either go against a whole lifetime of social indoctrination and destroy the one remaining semblance of a working state, indefinite food supply, medical attention and alcohol. Or take the risk of going against someone who's actually intelligent, has experience in actual chemistry so doesn't blow himself up, has been studying military tacts for the past decade has the support of people who realize it's either this or death.
So it's basically either a life of reasonable comfort or being on the Inca end in the battle of Cajamarca. Sure, the second option could render a kind of Pyrrhic victory, which would have to be repeated every single time when their ill-gotten gains run out.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Dave34 wrote:Taking stuff is easier than growing stuff, in the first few decades of a post apocalyptic world no one is going to be trying to stay "civilized" they are going to their basic instincts to survive.

MadAce can think what he wants, arguing opinions gets us no where. It's hard to deny that people are not going to take advantage of the lawlessness of post apocalyptic society, no matter how smart you are a bullet kills you the same way.
Okay, dudes and dudettes. Taking stuff is not easier than growing stuff. If that were the case civilization wouldn't exist. Period.

Fact that is that any military operation is only achievable within the context of a functional civilized society as a serious military operation is a significant drain in manpower and resources. Much more so than sowing seeds on a piece of land.

Think about it. If you invest time, manpower and resources in farming you will have more or less certain gains with no risk for your manpower.

Whereas if you start to be a parasite on farming communities you put yourself into harms way each and every operation while at the same time severely decreasing the number of such communities making it harder on yourself after each and every operation.

What I'm patiently teaching you people are some very, very basic economic and sociological laws.

And as for bullets... I've got the brains and the guns, you've just got the guns and no brains. Just saying.

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:40 pm

Why is everyone taking this stuff so seriously? If any of you have played Metro 2033 you'd know that farming is irrelevant when giant mutant librarians or Satan rats come to eat you.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:53 pm

JuliusCaesar wrote:Why is everyone taking this stuff so seriously? If any of you have played Metro 2033 you'd know that farming is irrelevant when giant mutant librarians or Satan rats come to eat you.
I take this stuff seriously because it's a lil' hobby of mine.

I have various contingency plans including those for zombies and vampires. Those were made for shitz 'n gigglez.

Apart from that I've been stocking up on farming manuals, an immense (sometimes classified) bunch of military manuals, schematics of basic machines, user guides for certain machines ranging from tanks to tractors, farmers almanacs, ephemerids for the next 200 years and other astronomical predictions, basic instructions on how to make weapons from scratch, basic instructions on how to make concrete, steel, penicillin, insulin, disinfectants and various other useful chemicals and enough medical guides for all future generations of hypochondriacs. I also have a whole bunch of maps including maps with prevailing winds in case of nuclear fallout.
I keep putting off downloading a summary of wikipedia tho.

Sometimes I do think I'm taking this stuff too seriously. For example the last time I moved two years back I selected this apartment because it has plenty of exits while at the same time being excellently defend-able. Tho apart from that It's fairly chill. I mean, I just have the hard disk with my information in a Faraday cage (in case of EMP) and a small list of shops where I can get a few basic pieces of equipment like a small solar powered generator, heavy duty military laptops and other survival gear.

Were I to be obsessed would've bought all that stuff.

I'm not obsessed. I'm not.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:47 pm

Dave34 wrote:
tekkamanblade wrote:so i guess your plan is to rely on everyone after an apocalypse to be reasonably intelligent, possess a strong work ethic, and have high moral fiber? from anything and everything you have ever posted here, i have inferred that you feel quite the opposite about the people you deal with here at the least, if not society in general.

MadAce wrote:

I just noticed I never replied to this message.

As for reasonably intelligent, work ethic and high moral fiber.

If you either have to shape up or die then trust me, people will shape up. In that sense an apocalyptic event is a fairly good, albeit quite primal, case if natural selection.

My misanthropism is a direct result of the stark realization that we as a species are quite stupidly screwing around like retards while not in the least living up to our full potential. At least us who are the minority who have everything we need are the worst example of what humanity has to offer.
However, in a situation where instincts take over I'd say we're more prone to the kind of basic, predictable intelligence that would allow us to survive.

As for the morons typically found on these forums... It's quite obvious they'd be at the sharp end of natural selection receiving most of the blows. Especially if they'd get it in their mind to start making explosives themselves, the poor fools.

The ones that do manage to only blow up only one of their limbs and stagger to my farm will face a fairly hard choice. Either go against a whole lifetime of social indoctrination and destroy the one remaining semblance of a working state, indefinite food supply, medical attention and alcohol. Or take the risk of going against someone who's actually intelligent, has experience in actual chemistry so doesn't blow himself up, has been studying military tacts for the past decade has the support of people who realize it's either this or death.
So it's basically either a life of reasonable comfort or being on the Inca end in the battle of Cajamarca. Sure, the second option could render a kind of Pyrrhic victory, which would have to be repeated every single time when their ill-gotten gains run out.
It's hilarious how these children keep hoping for an easy way out of the apocalypse. An apocalypse where they get to live out their fantasy of mass-murdering of the very kind of people who they don't understand. I'm of course talking about hard-working people with goals, an actual (not a pretend) moral compass and you know... a life.

The idea I'm proposing, that the same kind of people who look down on you now, will still be calling the shots after the end of civilization must terrify you. :lol: