do you beleive that

For non-Starport related topics

Moderator: Major

b-radk

do you beleive that

Post by b-radk » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:25 pm

calling someone fat is just as bad as calling someone something racial? if not pls explain

Caia

Re: do you beleive that

Post by Caia » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:52 am

Generally, no. Racial slurs have a very long history, and there is so much more to it than "just a word". While, I think both are harmful and shouldn't be said, racial slurs are generally worse.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:28 am

What was the racial slur? I've heard black people say that saying 'Nigga' is okay and not racist, so.. That's only what I've heard. O_o

Caia

Post by Caia » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:43 am

BardockSGE wrote:What was the racial slur? I've heard black people say that saying 'Nigga' is okay and not racist, so.. That's only what I've heard. O_o
And that's untrue. People want equal rights, they ought to be held to the same standards. If one person isn't allowed to say it, then no one is.

There are plenty of racial slurs out there. Pretty much one (or more) for any given group of people. I'm not going to list them, but they are out there. The reason you haven't heard most of them is because no one uses them (at least in the US, I can't speak for other places). They simply don't have as much meaning as N----- does, so its easier to insult people in other ways.

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:17 am

The only reason it is easier to insult people by saying that word is because the people in question generally react much more extremely to said insult. i say this because i don't honestly know a single thing someone can call me that "hurts my feelings".

If its true, then yes, im not going to be ignorant about it. might not want to be constantly reminded, if its something personal, but if it bothers you too much, take initiate, whether that involves taking up the problem, or getting away from it. Yes, this can't always be done, but the world isn't always peachy, now is it?

if its false, laugh it off.

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:10 am

Dave34 wrote:Remember the long forgotten rule:
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Seems no one knows what that is now adays...
hear muthafukin' hear!

this is a class-a awesome idea that nearly no one seems to have a clue about...least in all the generations since i was raised. its OK to poke fun on occasion if you know that person and its in good fun, otherwise YOUR the arse who should stfu.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:34 pm

/agree w/ dave and major.

toast

Post by toast » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:03 pm

ArdRhys4 wrote:/agree w/ dave and major.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:21 am

Major.Arse wrote:
Dave34 wrote:Remember the long forgotten rule:
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Seems no one knows what that is now adays...
hear muthafukin' hear!

this is a class-a awesome idea that nearly no one seems to have a clue about...least in all the generations since i was raised. its OK to poke fun on occasion if you know that person and its in good fun, otherwise YOUR the arse who should stfu.
Hell, if it were up to me it'd be in the law. Amend freedom of speech unti lit becomes Freedom Of Constructive Speech.

Suave

Post by Suave » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:48 pm

BardockSGE wrote:What was the racial slur? I've heard black people say that saying 'Nigga' is okay and not racist, so.. That's only what I've heard. O_o
Well, myself being black, me and my friends say it to each other everyday, but since we are friends we don't mind it and its all in good fun, but when it comes to someone whom I don't know, I might be offended.

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:51 pm

So what gives you the right to say it if you don't want other people saying it?

Suave

Post by Suave » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:56 pm

Catfish wrote:So what gives you the right to say it if you don't want other people saying it?
lol, good point, I dunno :S but I only expect to hear it from friends and friends only , but if someone does say it to me, yes I will be offended but I won't act like a big, bad dog and fight, I will just walk away.. :wink:

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:05 pm

I call my friends 'dicks', 'motherfuckers', 'chia pet' all the time, and not always in anger. But I would be understandably upset if a stranger said that to me.

The problem is not between friends its whether or not a black person would be more ok with a random black person calling him the N word or a white person. In that case its a double-standard and racism its just a matter of whether your willing to care about such a trivial form of racism.

KG

Post by KG » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:45 am

And just what the hell happened to the word censor that it isn't catching half this stuff? Just sayin'...

Anyways, my thought is racial slurs are worse due to implying inferiority or subhuman status based on race (at least historically). Calling someone fat is simply mean, but not degrading to the same degree.

KG

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:28 pm

my thoughts are an overweight person is going to be extraordinarily sensitive to their image of themselves and how others perceive them. That being said, could they not "hit the gym" or have a surgical procedure? At least that's the common reply.

Not many White, Black, Asian, and Latin folks would opt for a surgical procedure to alter the appearance of the features of their race.

Are overweight people unjustly discriminated against? Yes, but so are ugly people, and stupid people, and smelly people, and the Irish, and Black people, and Latin people, and...

Morale of the story?

People are people. We all love, hate, laugh and cry. Try not to be dicks to each other.

-Major.