The ever-expanding universe

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Is the ever-epanding universe a good idea?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:25 pm

What an amazing idea! I love you so much for this idea! God bless you!
33%
Would need tweaking, but I still love you
33%
not to keen, but this does not mean I do not like you, on the contrary, you are a god in my opinion
No votes
no. scratch the idea. but god bless you anyway.
25%
Who cares about the poll? the point is we love you
8%

Total votes: 12

lil ray

The ever-expanding universe

Post by lil ray » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:25 pm

well, could cause hardware problems, but what if the universe grew every day? It would stop total ownage of the universe.

NoObie

Post by NoObie » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:33 pm

Option # 5:

This idea sucks and I hate you. :P

Wouldn't that crash the server at one point? :roll:

BennyHana

Post by BennyHana » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:32 pm

lol, i vote for noobies option # 5

Shawn Millican

Post by Shawn Millican » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:37 pm

Would cause hardware problems? XD

That's a piledriver in the face to SGE.

Elemayo

Post by Elemayo » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:35 am

Not daily, but maybe at a rate of 1 system per week, or more likely 1 system per month. Shouldn't overload the server quickly, just a nice add on.

12 new systems a year. Nothing big.

A plausible idea, just needs work.

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:30 pm

Wasn't thise one of MadAce's ideas?

Nightmare

Tux

Post by Tux » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:34 pm

Nightmare wrote:Wasn't thise one of MadAce's ideas?

Nightmare
Yes, something like this. Better thought out too.

Tux

Post by Tux » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:21 pm

magma wrote:i thought madace`s idea was to have all the servers connected by a massive warp point and it cost like 1k to go to.....?
I think he had two ideas, that being one of them.

justin

Post by justin » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:09 am

that is an awsome idea though im wondering how would they seperate the rebang xp made ffrom the perma xp in order to hand out the meadals

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:26 pm

justin wrote:that is an awsome idea though im wondering how would they seperate the rebang xp made ffrom the perma xp in order to hand out the meadals
I don't think that in this idea you could win a rebang..., rebangs would just be a part of the galaxy that keeps resetting itself constently.

Nightmare

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:41 pm

Nightmare wrote:
justin wrote:that is an awsome idea though im wondering how would they seperate the rebang xp made ffrom the perma xp in order to hand out the meadals
I don't think that in this idea you could win a rebang..., rebangs would just be a part of the galaxy that keeps resetting itself constently.

Nightmare
yes indeed, one flaw in that galaxy theory.

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:33 pm

It really depends how they coded it, but because they did their analyses and design long before they thought of permanent servers I predict it's almost impossible to do, unless they redo that entire process (which could easily take up months).

Maybe if they get sick of managing one day and sell the source code to someone who wants to change the core of the game... .

Keep on dreaming until then :P.

Nightmare

Tux

Post by Tux » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:17 pm

They won't put it in not because it is beyond their abilities, they won't put it in because they didn't think of it first.

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:44 pm

Tux wrote:They won't put it in not because it is beyond their abilities, they won't put it in because they didn't think of it first.
god damn.

this is quote worthy!!

:!: :!: :!:

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:53 pm

If they really spend months on something like a nerf this could take years .seth...

Nightmare

Tux

Post by Tux » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:06 pm

Nightmare wrote:If they really spend months on something like a nerf this could take years .seth...

Nightmare
Changing the nukes was probably like 5 lines of code. (It might be more, but it is practical and pretty likely it really is that simple) If you want proof of how simple it is to change that then consider how long it took them to go from incredibly shitty when they first changed them to how they are now. Like a day if I remember right.

Tux

Post by Tux » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:06 am

It is funny, there is a game coming out in a few years that has a similar principle to this. The name is Infinity The Quest for Earth. Please nobody go off on me "OMG You mentioned another game!" It doesn't even exist yet! This post will probably be pruned by the time it is released. Do a google search for that and it is the first site. The game sounds like it will have a good amount of similarities to Starport (as well as a lot of the other games like it) but be a hundred times cooler. Though incredibly hardware intensive, one downside.

From what I understand there are millions-billions of solar systems in the game.

Luumukukko

Post by Luumukukko » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:09 am

.seth wrote:so what if it took a year? that would be a year without any more nerfs coming out, and its not like they have bothered fixing many bugs now is it?

really though, i know this concept is never being done, toonces shot it down specifically dozens of times before. that doesn't change the fact that this idea would create a game environment much more enjoyable than the current one.
A whole year without nerfs? Goddamn that sound's good and after a year madace's idea would come true.. sounds even better!

That would prolly be the best thing that could happen to starport, if well planned.

somebody talk some sense to toonces :wink:

summedlemmin

Medals

Post by summedlemmin » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:44 am

Making medal unachievable unless set for different goals maybe like killing 50 players medal or something?

Tux

Post by Tux » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:29 pm

.seth wrote:that game sounds great tux, but can it run on a TI-86 graphing calculator like starport does?
:lol:

TI-86 eh? I run Starport on my TI-83.

Eek

Post by Eek » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:46 pm

TI-86 ? TI-83?
I run starport from a Pentium 4 with 256 video and 1gb ram xD Well.. the thing is i love .seth ideea... and the thing is... to be implamented they must "copy-paste" a new StarPort and apply it ;)

m-boy

Post by m-boy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:23 pm

hum... im just lookin at that game... as i can see it, it will be like starport in some ways... i can see a lot of people who play starport moving to their for a different game experience or will become inactive and only cme on once in a while.

i hope toonces has read this post and looked at the game because he should no now thats its time to get his finger from out his arse and start tryin to improve the game more and gettin rid of any bugs, this game might not be out for a while but after its release he will lose a lot of token buyin because people will move to that game.

if he gets started on makin this game better (and i mean in anyway, we dont have to change it to what mad-ace said) we could get more players and mybe able to keep a lot of people on this game.

toonces should see this new game to be compatition, and right now (from just readin a few lines and lookin at a few pics) i can see that when its released i will go onto that game and probs only use this when im bored, that game is goin to be better then this game right now, toonces should look and use ideas off that game (dont mean copy all of it just get pointers) to help with this, with GOOD improvements this game can probable compete with it.

i'll leave it their be4 i start to repeat myself too much... but like i said toonces pull your fingers from out your arse and look at that game, think of ways to beat it, you can, get more people to help if u have to...

m-boy

Post by m-boy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:57 pm

i've looked trough the website, looked at the combat prototype vidio's and had a quick look at the combat prototype and my god... that game is goin to be a lot better then starport currently is, toonces GET YOU FINGERS FROM OUT YOUR donkey. look at the vidio's... staport will have no chance. its like starport but BETTER, and if its free... u r stuck their toonces...

m-boy

Post by m-boy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:28 am

just commenting on the new patches headin our whay on this thread since i can see it havin some relation to this topic since we got onto ifinity.

them patches are only goin to make the game crapper. not better. NOB JOKEY

stillsob

Post by stillsob » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:58 am

.seth wrote:madace's idea was for all existing servers to be wiped, because they are BBQ anyway. you would have one and only one character, and the galaxy would be larger than every existing galaxy combined. here is what i remember about his plan. mind you that he actually had it MUCH better written, ten times more thought out, and had a solution to every single coding difficulty and balance issue. (and toonces still specifically said no to it)

the hardest parts of his idea were having a select few quadrants rebanging and offering both normal and pax domes as seperate items in the starbase.

the best feature of this idea is putting the entire community into a single server for quadrupled pvp possibilites and increased token value.

out in the farthest reaching dead end arms would be perma zones. imagine a whole perma map connected to the rest of the server only through a single tiny choke point arm.

the center of the map would rebang, so around the starting zone you could always find some where to build, and it would be more difficult to laser off or mine because the planets there rebang.

im not sure if the original idea included this permanent pax zone or not, but it basically replaces un space. in this area you cannot fire or deploy weapons, but u can place the expensive pax domes (only 1 or 2 planets per player). so isntead of a huge area of useless worlds, you would have a tiny area of useless worlds and a large area of pax worlds. since every starbase has a tiny bit of un space surrounding it, there would be tiny pax areas scattered throughout the server in addition to the one enormous one at sol.

this opens invasion possibilities in the perma zones. just make it to the starbase there and dome a world in the the un system touching the base. you can renuke and reship, and wait out opponents in an uninvadeable base. for that reason i was sorta thinking only the main un area on sol would be permanent pax, the other minor un areas would probably need to be rebanging pax zones.

the starting off new users would be able to play in and colonize the pax zone before expanding out into the rebanging pk zone. because they had an uninvadeable world or two to fall back to, they would not be wiped out instantly, and could try again and again until they had their strategy worked out. after going from noob to accomplished player with a few test runs in the rebanging zone, you would build or invade your way out to a perma zone to make war on the established vets there.

since the point of the game (for vets) would be to colonize or invade a trail through the rebanging zone towards one of the other perma arms, (hopefully making a foothold in the enemy perma area before your supply trail rebanged) the area around the starting starbase wouldn't be feircly competed over. even from the start the vets would shoot straight for their favorite perma branch, virtually ignoring the set of planets that will just disappear every 2 weeks.

this means that vets have a goal, to conquer their chosen perma branch (then come through the rebanging zone straight to yours). because every player from every server is there, with no other server to go to, competition would skyrocket (along with token sales and fun). having an actual purpose in the game again is pretty important from my point of view.

the builders will have no shortage of worlds to build, with a rebanging galactic core there will never be an "all planets are taken" remark again. the noobs will have a training area, two even. and at least one of your planets will be in the no invasion zone, so you can make a comeback even from near total annihilation without crying like a baby for yet another new perma that spreads the community to thin for any fun to ever occur.

To better explain Madaces crazy idea
As for the general balance... It got a little stuck when SGE shifted to Perma's. There weren't any changes to accomodate the unlimited time. But that can be solved fairly easy with a few price changes.

Next issue is the community.

I have noticed that there is a great difference in noobs, mediocrines and vets. But the problem is that vets can easily find noobs

yes sge is pure pvp, which is great , but other games seem to have solutions for that.

For example EVE-online has the strange thing that you as new player will never come in contact with vets. And you don't really do stupid stuff like going to low secuity space.

But even there many players leave because it becomes impossible to catch up with the veterans.

TO TOONCES: Please take the effort to read this. It is maybe not perfect but it's the general idea that counts. Please state a reason why you won't like it. I'm sure that reason would help us a great deal for future ideas.

I suggest a solution.
Divide and merge the community.
Make it so that all severs are merged together. Actually this will be just making the server select screen ingame.

But... All new players start out in the same sector. The pax sector. The core of the galaxy. All surrounding systems will be UN. And a bit further all systems will be pax. Slower fuel regen. No corps. 6 Space bases. Lot's of ports. No paradise planets. Fair amount of black holes. -1 for morale in all colonies. No pvp in this area. You are free to colonise here and only low ranking NPC's will bother you. But the problem is that every two weeks one fourth of all your colonies will be abandoned, how big they may are. If you only have one colony then this doesn't matter of course because then you will not lose it. There are small fields of maybe five systems of PvP areas scattered across this sector to let people practice at their own risk. Sleeping here is free and can't kill you. Since experience is persistent trough every sector you can't sleep in Pax or Un for free if you reach 50000 experience. Many connections between systems.

Between secors there are only few warp gates. Which lie in UN territory. So it wouldn't be possible to warp-wait-kill.
Each sector has a ranking. And the whole galaxy has a ranking.
Both for players as well as corps. You can only switch sectors once an hour.

Then you move on to the Arm's. Here it's PvP. Medium ranked NPC's. Fair amount of ports. And 4 space bases. Some black holes. No UN except for the systems surrounding bases. Medium fuel regen. 5 people in a corp. -0.5 Penalty for morale in all colonies. 5 Paradise planets.

After that there is the Outer Rim. High to Very High ranked NPC's. Low amount of ports. 3 Space bases. very few Black holes. No UN. Somewhat faster fuel regen. 10 People in a corp. No morale penalty. 8 Paradise planets.

These were the permanet secors. But between them and surrounding them are Rebang Sectors. The normal Rebang games we know with each having their own rules. You can acces some Rebangs only from the Pax Sector, some only from the Mediocrine Sector and some only from the Vet sector.
But there should be a system of commercial warp gates that lets you travvel to every rebang quickly for a fee. The fee being according to your experience. Of course some sectors/rebangs become unenterable when you reach a certain experience.

Imagine you have colonies in two sectors. You only get experience from the colonies of the sector you are in.

Every sector has a chat channel. Shouting over the whole galaxy requires a fee. Mails and private is free.
There are commands to ignore certain kinds of messages.

In the end all this would ask very little changes. It's actually just a change of perception. That's all.

Thank you for reading.