[Poll]Pollution patch

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Since the pollution patch a few months back, do you enjoy starport more?

I enjoy starport more
6%
I enjoy starport less
64%
The patch was added before my time
22%
The patch really hasn't changed my perception
8%

Total votes: 36

(MSR)Peace

[Poll]Pollution patch

Post by (MSR)Peace » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:11 am

As a prelude to making a poll a week after the planet friction patch was introduced to see how people feel about it after testing it out, I'd like to take a poll to see how people feel about the pollution patch, after months of testing it out. This is not intended to be another direct attempt of mine to revert the pollution changes.
Last edited by (MSR)Peace on Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Turkey

Post by Turkey » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:11 am

You don't have an option for 'I enjoy Starport the same amount'.

EDIT: NVM that :)
Last edited by Turkey on Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

(MSR)Peace

Post by (MSR)Peace » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:41 am

Good point. Added while the poll is young...

Emokid_07

Post by Emokid_07 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:14 am

Personnaly not playing anymore, and quitting because of the pollution patch and various other things non SGE related, I can say that when I did play the pollution patch made the game severely less fun, for me. It seemed like a token screw for the vets or long time players. And it still does seem like one to me, and it should to you if you look at it hard enough. You're running around the galaxy to clean up all your planets and if you want to get anything done but cleaning planets you have to jet spice, and when that fails, you have to buy tokens.

Just a money screw.

Zavrith

Post by Zavrith » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:57 pm

Heh, I was just thinking that...

If Toonces only does things because he thinks they'll be more fun...

wtf is up with the pollution patch?

"Fun" is not how I would describe flying the ends of the galaxy just to clean planets...

(MSR)Peace

Post by (MSR)Peace » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:08 pm

Zavrith wrote:Heh, I was just thinking that...

If Toonces only does things because he thinks they'll be more fun...

wtf is up with the pollution patch?

"Fun" is not how I would describe flying the ends of the galaxy just to clean planets...
I believe it was intended to kinda clean off old permas among other things... And yet the old permas still remain sparsely populated and as stagnant as ever.

Poor players still get their butts kicked by good players, and it doesn't really matter when who starts out on a server. Thats just the way it works.

It still takes 5 disasters to remove a planet, then a week or more (I have no idea for sure, but it always seems like a really long time) to finally remove the busted up dome so you can plant another one. I still don't see why it's not 3 disasters if pollution has to be the way it is.

A few people are still in a favorable disposition with this patch though, and really I don't think it is game ruining... I just think that much like the recent patch, it is an unnecissary change to a working system.

Mua'Dib

Post by Mua'Dib » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:18 am

I think that pollution is what makes the latest patch so bad.

I rarely play much at all anymore, I clean a few planets in a tight area every few days, and invade a planet or two a day at most, usually none.

Starport isnt so much of a priority any more, at first i tried really hard to be optimistic about this latest patch, but now im just kindof turned off to the whole "walk chest deep in mud(Ive done it once, drunk, and i must say that the current planet situation reminds me of it a lot...eternity wallowing in mud while seeking some elusive goal...through a planet while nuking(repeatedly), and then when i get it 20-60 minutes later, IF Im lucky, it has only 80% pollution(expensive even for me), but more likely has 2+ disasters. IF i get it with no disasters(best case scenario), i get to spend 20 minutes placing turrets(again wading through mud to do so), and then visit the colony repeatedly in the future, forever, to prevent it from destroying itself.

I know i mentioned a lot about the last patch and this is about the pollution patch, and yes i know the pollution patch was "before my time" but it is really starting to suck, just logging in to planet hop around and push a button, with the "reason" i play(invading) being turned into a chore as well.

Right now im pretty much caring about a few things, screwing with the rep of people and relearning how to invade any layout on greenhouses. Before the patch i was working on sliding, and improving a LOT(not as much as it sounds, but a lot by my sucky sliding standards). Now im back to square one on slides. Well, more like square two or three.

The game has turned into a job, and the reasons i used to love it have evaporated. I can no longer go out and get into 5 person free for alls with real people on a server with over 100 people, because the server is dying and there's rarely 40 people at a time. The number can only go down from there. I can no longer go out and invade whenever i feel like it, hiring a barge, vulture, or whoever, because the people who have joined recently are all on the newer servers. I can no longer go out and invade like mad because it takes too much time, time i really have to spend cleaning what i have, dealing with diplomatic stuff(ok that's still "fun" to a degree), or doing something called sleeping or working.

It has gotten to a point where i delay logging into the game for up to an hour(on a limited timeline!). In such time i fool around here, on the forums, or do whatever, none of it really important.

I used to log on as fast as i could and spend every spare moment on the game. I used to get a thrill out of invasions, used to invade 10 planets in the daytime then get to watch darkslide and his crew at work later in the evening. Hell, our pollution strategy under darkslide was always, for the most part "let it rot" because we played to have fun and we could always ijnvade more planets faster than the old ones rotted.

I know im ranting, i know there's no real purpose to this post any more, but i want my game back. Whatever toonces is planning to make starport some kickass game that the whole world will play, im getting sick of waiting. I dont know how these patches fit into the "master plan" but what i can see of the end result right now really sucks. Im not even kidding when i imagine that the next patch might be a reduction in hardware slots by a quarter or half or something. Or perhaps energy. Or that retarded "delayed landing" idea that someone proposed not too long ago.

Supersith

Post by Supersith » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:21 am

Ok, who was the one who liked starport more with it? Me I can't have a preference because it was before my time, and well I'll be used to it. But from what I've heard it really messed up the game and with alot of colonies I can see how it would, but hey like I said my opinion is sort of nullified because of the whole before my time thing. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents anyway.

ENTROPY

Post by ENTROPY » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:08 am

Without the pollution thing, UN colonies (colonies abandoned by inactive, deleted players) would never become available again without invading.

Yeah pollution is a pain for us active players with alot of colonies, but I can understand it's purpose... You have to remain active to keep a large empire -- if you don't play, your planets are freed up for those people who DO play.
Last edited by ENTROPY on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mua'Dib

Post by Mua'Dib » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:36 am

Just put a 2 week limit or something on UN colonies. Not too hard.

If that's the best reason you can get...

I think the pollution idea is good "in theory" but flawed. It's just impossible to have fun planet hopping and button mashing. For me it's the chore i do so that the planets i invade/build stick around.

ENTROPY

Post by ENTROPY » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:17 am

I don't know, I kind of would be going around collecting taxes, switching weapon factories, tweaking the workforce anyway... I just clean pollution as I run my "errands".

petertje

Post by petertje » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:33 pm

The pollution patch sucks and has always sucked.
It takes alot of fun out of the game because you HAVE to be busy with non-fun thinks to be able to do the fun things (xcept for bumping up to planets but even that get's boring after some time).

ron2005brown

Post by ron2005brown » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:26 pm

maybe there should be a minigame like pong where u erase 5% of pollution each level u complete

(MSR)Peace

Post by (MSR)Peace » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:38 pm

ENTROPY wrote:Without the pollution thing, UN colonies (colonies abandoned by inactive, deleteed players) would never become available again without invading.

Yeah it's a pain for us active players with alot of colonies, but I can understand it's purpose... You have to remain active to keep a large empire -- if you don't play, you're planets are freed up for those who DO play.
He's kinda right, there did need to be a way that colonies disapeared, I just don't think pollution is it. I especially didn't like the whole 1M per 10% thing. It made having boat loads of money even more of a necesity.

I mean... to clean ONE planet off of 10% pollution, you could buy half an ISC. I dunno. It just doesn't make sense to me :-/

Colonies were adjusted to produce more money... Which made things a little easier to bare, but in the end I think this was kind of a bad thing as well. The amount of money colonies produce no longer is consistant with money you can get from other sources: NPCs, Missions, or trading for example. To pay for pollution you HAVE to have major taxes going. You really don't have a choice.