Custom ships (Upload ship designs for others to see)

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Weylin

Custom ships (Upload ship designs for others to see)

Post by Weylin » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:46 am

Could we have a means of creating and uploading custom ships?
This could be an extension to the IGS (holo projector?) for additional cost.
Alternatively, it could be something you can apply to any IGS you have on any server, with a one time fee to have it uploaded on the main server.

Designs would be reviewed, of course. Submissions which are obviously breaches of copyright, or just inappropriate could be turned down, and the transaction would not go through.
Also, excessively shitty designs could be rejected, unless you want godawful ms paint atrocities flying around.

I dabbled around in this type of thing a while back, and figured out how to mod my ships to look different, just for the fun of it.
There's 4 parts to it.
Display - This file is basically a high resolution image which is shown in the ship information screen. Don't confuse this with the lower resolution sprite which is the one you fly around in.
RGB - The primary image of your ship, with purple serving as the transparency color. (255 red, 0 green, 255 blue)
NORMAL- This is the normal map, it tells the game which direction a particular pixel is facing. This is used by the lighting system to make it look 3 dimensional. I made these using an existing normal map for reference.
LUM - Luminosity, this will designate how bright the particular pixels are. Basically, if you have something like portholes or navigation lights, you want to highlight those spots so they glow in the dark.
SPEC - This will determine the shininess of a surface. Basically, dark is matte, and bright is highly reflective. Use bright areas to designate shiny surfaces, and dark areas for dull surfaces.