Stock Market tweak

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

duece

Stock Market tweak

Post by duece » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:56 am

Stock market is considered to be one of the crappier discoveries, so it probably needs an upgrade of some sort. My idea is to make it so that each level of stock market generates revenue that just adds on to the tax rate. So even at zero tax a 7500 population, stock market 5 colony gets 15,000 credits an hour. This way stock market would be especially valuable on volcanics and greenhouses, which often cannot generate any tax revenue. So having stock market would get a credit stream going and with time the interest from stock market would kick in and add to that revenue as the treasury built up. But 15,000 credits an hour is small enough that it won't have a dramatic impact on oceans, earths, arctics, and mounts.

MastrIan

Re: Stock Market tweak

Post by MastrIan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:15 am

I really like this idea, exactly as it was proposed.

I would still groan if I got that research on a rebang, but the monetary boost would certainly help, especially when you factor in interest.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:06 pm

duece wrote:Stock market is considered to be one of the crappier discoveries, so it probably needs an upgrade of some sort.
This is a good start.

I think the proposal gets a little bit complicated from there. Not that it's that complicated or couldn't be done, but compared to the existing system, slightly more complicated.

From my perspective, it would be easier to simply keep it working the way it does now but increase the power of the stock market effect say 50% of what it is now. Would that help?

duece

Post by duece » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:25 pm

It would help, but my problem with stock market is it's very 'rich get richer'. It helps colonies that already produce enough cash and does next to nothing for the ones that really need it. It does need an upgrade one way or another though, most of the time I wouldn't even be able to tell it's there without seeing the research list.