Double Domes As Seperate Colonies (Brainstorm)

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

General_Neox

Double Domes As Seperate Colonies (Brainstorm)

Post by General_Neox » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:39 am

So toonces posted in his latest blog that hes working on making a double dome a seperate colony on that planet. To be honest i think this is an awesome idea and much more realistic in the terms of science fiction. It would make it possible to have 50 000 people on a planet :D. It would add all new depths to building and a whole new array of combat strategies like warring on a planet between two seperate dome owners.

To help him out why dont we brainstorm ideas on how this could work.
think about things like:

What would the colony be called at the start? Considering a colony right now is called Alpha Centauri 1a, what would they call a second colony on the same planet?

When you go to land on a colony that is owned by two seperate owners what kind of message would you get if you're a third party? Would you still get the same existing warning message if you were the owner of only one of the domes?

When one of the domes is capped? how will the defenses be split by the two seperate owners?
My Solution is that once the invader caps a dome he is allowed to place defenses anywhere he wants on the planet even if there is still enemy defenses, (with the same defense cap of course) That way an invader can defend the dome hes just captured if the invadee decides to try and recap.

What kind of strategies would be created in response to such a change in gameplay?

JuliusCaesar

Re: Double Domes As Seperate Colonies (Brainstorm)

Post by JuliusCaesar » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:20 pm

i think capping one dome should mean both are capped. would sort out a lot of extra coding and hassle. also, when colonies are double domed i think they should keep the original researches on the first dome.

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:48 pm

I can't wait for toonces to come out with that personally :D As a builder I would love to have two cols on one planet. That said, here come my opinions on what I think would make this most interesting. Not saying it's the only way, just my personal thoughts...

On Invading-
Each dome should be separately cappable, and you have to cap both to own the planet. Really this shouldn't be much harder than a normal DD. Oftentimes people put the domes right next to each other, so in MOST instances, if you can cap one you can easily cap the other. Also keep in mind after you cap one, you've shut down one of the solars from shooting at you as you invade the other. In instances when the domes aren't right next to each other, well then there are just less defenses for each because you split them in half to cover both, so it shouldn't be too bad. I think the first dome capped shouldn't actually give you control, it just disables the solar while you cap the second. It's like destroying a laser, except it comes back when you finish capping the planet. Also, the owner's newsfeed shouldn't let them know if one of the domes have been capped, only if both have. It doesn't announce when someone destroys some of the defenses, and with my system that's all you'd be doing on the first cap. They should get a little warning message from their colonists though if they land on the col and the first dome has been lost. They shouldn't have to actually reinvade it, but they should have to pay something to get the solar back on line. Either a few colonists from the col still owned to go and fix it, or money to fix it, or something.
Idk how much of that is feasible in terms of coding, but I feel like if anything's possible, this idea would be easier to code than neox's with two people owning a planet and warring for it. (Sorry neox :? )

On Building-
As for building, I think that when you DD a planet it should go back into UN for a few days while you get set up, and the second dome should start with nothing just like the first one did. Solars should be independent, and research should definitely be independent. I guess I can sorta see some argument for clone research making sense when they're on same planet (surely they communicate somewhat?), but I think if you're going for realism with DDs then they shouldn't be clone research just like they shouldn't be clone domes/solars. This also provides slight added strategy for invaders, who can pick to disable the weaker solar or the stronger solar first. Colonies on the same planet should also be able to trade resources among each other. I mean, obviously you could do it manually, and that might be easier coding-wise, but if it's possible to code it just seems to make more sense to have a "Transfer Resources" Button or something like there is the "Sell Resources" button when you have commodities market. This allows dome #2 to get started much faster, and also allows for interesting build strategies where, for example, one col makes tons of metal and no organics, and the other makes tons of organics and no metal, and they would compliment each other (If toonces wanted to go way above and beyond, he could make a new discovery that automates that, but I doubt thats really feasible lol. Just a builder's wishful thinking). Finally, yes yes yes please make DDs have a cap of 50k people :D

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:24 pm

"if you're going for realism" when one of the domes is capped it would be completely owned and operated by the invader, and planetary war would be possible and more enjoyable. This would allow fighting for control to be going on in space and on the planet at the same time, just like real science fiction. Hard to code or not that would be the most practical. And you'd have to destroy all the defenses around a dome if you wanted to place your own def after capping that dome. As for your planetary trade, I think it would be cooler to have to land on the planet and trade via flying to the other dome rather then just clicking a button.

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:29 pm

fair enough xD it would be amazing, and the most realistic acting sci fi sorta war, however I don't really think sadly it's feasible for toonces to do :( I was trying to strike a balance between realistic and possible/likely. Though I agree your way is more realistic

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:57 am

Thats the risk buyers are going to have to take!