6%
21%
21%
18%

Total votes: 34

JuliusCaesar

IF there is a new server -> Guidelines

Post by JuliusCaesar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:19 pm

Lately we have gotten servers which haven't necessarily failed, but haven't proved to be as appreciated as GA.

Now in the end it is obviously up to toonces as to what features will be added in servers and whether or not (and when) servers will close and bang.

But still It seems like toonces has not gotten the entire word of the community on what is wanted. I know this is not the whole community, but if this thread does get some recognition (it probably won't) then i'm sure you guys can pull your friends to vote.

The following are some ideas and suggestions I have considered, and some already added. Vote for what you like and leave what you don't like blank.

1) Mods are included

2) IF mods are included, would you like to see a ramp or limit on the number able to be purchased?

3) New layouts along with old ones (blank would be old ones only)

4) Asteroids

5) Fog of war

6) Expanding galaxy (note: an expanding galaxy in my opinion should start small to encourage competition, unlike TOS which banged large already)

7) The new suggestions laid out in toonces' blog post (regardless of what this vote says, if hes putting in the effort they are PROBABLY going to be added anyway, which i support personally)

Other suggestions will be taken into account as well, just leave a reply.
Note there are 7 options available per voter, you can like all of them, or none of them.

invaderzim

Re: IF there is a new server -> Guidelines

Post by invaderzim » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:41 pm

I like mods, but I think they're overpowered for invading. The building ones (solar sails and cargo bulkheads mainly) are good. They don't do too much, but provide a nice small boost. Fog of War I like because it forces camaraderie. The corp stays together and works together, because if one person goes off invading or building solo, the others have a difficult time following. It makes everyone move together, which I think is good for corps. It also provides a new aspect of war. Now activity is more important in fighting (theoretically. There hasn't really been a war yet there but it seems like a sound assumption), because the people that move around most have more map uncovered, and are at an advantage, even over token whores who normally seem to win wars.

Expanding Galaxy I didn't check because I don't think it would be of any use with Fog of War also in place, and if forced to pick between the two I'd prefer to have Fog of War. However, if toonces/cloud for whatever reason flat out refused to have Fog of War, I'd be fine with (and prefer) Expanding Galaxy over Normal Galaxy.

Note to cloud: You've mentioned you want a more newbie friendly server. And I don't think you're particularly fond of Fog, but I'd just like you to keep in mind that Fog is beneficial to newbies in that it's less likely for a vet to come to them. They can go off into the void, build up a bit of strength in a low-competition area, and as they feel ready slowly move out into the more dangerous, skill-requiring areas that the big corps have taken. Fog gives them a gradient of different difficulties all in one server, while a normal server does not, and an Expansive just gives the vets a small area they can easily take, hold, and move onto next expansion, leaving no room really for newbs.

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:31 pm

no mods, fog of war, expanding galaxy(starting out small)

Iamhere:)

Post by Iamhere:) » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Fog of war ftw!

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:29 pm

not a newbieserver, a newbie friendly server

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:04 pm

this isnt about being newbie friendly its about being fun. personally i dont think newbs need their own server, nor would it work in teaching them anything good. a comprehensive tutorial would do that much better.

also: looking back i agree, fog of war and an expanding galaxy both included are kinda pointless, provided the server starts off too small. if it started about half the size of, say p5, and expanded into 1.5 to 2 times as large, i feel that would be ideal.

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:36 pm

yeah hes not talking about a newbie server, hes talking about Generally, if and when he makes the next server. and peoples thoughts about how it should be

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Because they play FW, thats why. Anyways cloud I applaud the effort you and toonces are doing. A new server with the old settings and cargo bulkheads added will be a hit. We can build the server fast and there will be wars right off the bat along with the old settings :)

I can't wait for this to happen. Just make sure to cover all your bases and get nukes and fighting worked out from the start, not have 10 patches to get the game they way it used to be.

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:41 am

Fog + Expanding Galaxy = Win imo

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:38 am

btw cloud what r u talking about the community dislikes fog of war. I even did a poll thread to make sure in tavern and most seem to like it.

this new galaxy should have fog of war for sure + expanding