my idea about getting and keeping new players

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

kenoneill

my idea about getting and keeping new players

Post by kenoneill » Mon May 10, 2010 12:31 am

i posted this as a reply to something juliusceaser posted but its getting burried in his bs

My idea is to give players who want to help a sort of moderator job on the game itself. this would allow experianced players to help out newbies on the newbie rebangs. they would be able to join these rebangs and help but not get any xp for it. in this way older players would be able to show new people how to play and how to set there stats(one of the biggest problems is new ppl setting there stats at 5,5,5 and being unable to change)

Now to the incentive for the vet, the vet would get X number of tournies per newbie they helped, also (not sure if toonces can do this) if the newbie stays playing for 3 months the vet gets another few tournies and the same at 6 months and finally at the 1 year mark. this would possibly incourage vets to stay training the newbie and allow him into his corp on perma's. the newbie would have to be fairly active in the game. a number of hours per week or month could be agreed on

Bugs Bunny

Re: my idea about getting and keeping new players

Post by Bugs Bunny » Mon May 10, 2010 10:17 pm

i dont think the 5,5,5 stats is an issue. when u start out u need 555 cause u dont know the effects of each stat...and after u have barged a while u can earn enuf tokens to change stats...or simply just buy tokens...just wanted to comment on that point

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:02 am

Bugs Bunny wrote:i dont think the 5,5,5 stats is an issue. when u start out u need 555 cause u dont know the effects of each stat...and after u have barged a while u can earn enuf tokens to change stats...or simply just buy tokens...just wanted to comment on that point
1. You are obviously not poorer than crap.
2. When I was a newbie, I thought that tokens were a commodity only for the paying customers and the galactic overlords (the dudes in super-corps). I went my first year and a half never seeing tokens. This was back when the competition on starport was fierce. The "inactive" servers had 12 people at any one time and the active ones had a hundred. The super-corps truly had their work cut out for them. Coups were attempted every few weeks and usually failed. The fact is, super-corps wern't that powerful, they held a thinly veiled weakness of having such a large empire that controlling everything required constant attention and had political ties that could be broken with ease. The only server in which I have seen super-corps band together into a truly coherent allience was Boundless Sea. I saw only one civil war on Boundless in my first year of playing. That civil war happened due to a misunderstanding and was not fun what-so-ever. Anyway, where was I? There we go... yes, tokens might be an easy commodity to come by now, but when competition was at its peak, you would lose everything before you could make your first 1k tokens unless you learned politics and got skills. It was the funnest time of the game, I wish we could have it back :(.

Bugs Bunny

Post by Bugs Bunny » Tue May 11, 2010 5:39 pm

you could have also just started out on a different server...no need to wait a year n half
thats what i did...on my first server i made all my newb mistakes...n when i had gotten good...i just started out fresh on another server...problem solved
no need to buy or earn tokens

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:15 am

Bugs Bunny wrote:you could have also just started out on a different server...no need to wait a year n half
thats what i did...on my first server i made all my newb mistakes...n when i had gotten good...i just started out fresh on another server...problem solved
no need to buy or earn tokens
Jajaja! I don't buy and don't give a crap about tokens after I used them once, I was like... wow, they are not as kewl as I thought xD. But still, I am poor and when the largest sum of money I saw at any one time would buy me 500 tokens, I just didn't see buying tokens as an option until I first obtained a fairly large empire. And yes, I did change servers a few times. I still didn't use tokens. I have never had more than 15k tokens on my person at any one time... ever xD.

Bugs Bunny

Post by Bugs Bunny » Wed May 12, 2010 5:33 pm

thats not the point
the point of buying tokens is to use the IGS or fuel when u first start out on a new server...but the true intention is to say thanks to Playtechtonics for letting us play a free online multiplayer game :wink:
afterall they worked on it n have maintenance costs to run the servers
the fact that it has remained free even thru tough economic times....is remarkable

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Wed May 12, 2010 7:49 pm

In the very beggining of the game when u making ur character it should have a thing that says:
"most pilots have 10 dexterity to protect themselves"

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Wed May 12, 2010 9:48 pm

on a rebang, 5/5/5 is a good stat allocation.

Nearly everyone on this forum is a perma-whore, so they think 10 dex is a necessity. It's not. At all.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Barefoot wrote:on a rebang, 5/5/5 is a good stat allocation.

Nearly everyone on this forum is a perma-whore, so they think 10 dex is a necessity. It's not. At all.
On rebangs, I usually go 1/8/6. This allows me to have a fairly alround goodness.

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Thu May 13, 2010 12:33 am

ArdRhys4 wrote:

On rebangs, I usually go 1/8/6. This allows me to have a fairly alround goodness.
We cant all be as good as you though :wink:

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Thu May 13, 2010 12:38 am

ArdRhys4 wrote:

You play starport?

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:16 am

Barefoot wrote:
ArdRhys4 wrote:

You play starport?
Well... back in the day... xD. Sorry if past and present get mixed up here and there xD.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Thu May 13, 2010 4:51 am

ArdRhys4 wrote: Well... back in the day... xD. Sorry if past and present get mixed up here and there xD.
is that other game out of alpha? If not you owe me toks :twisted:

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Sat May 15, 2010 3:08 am

Barefoot wrote:
ArdRhys4 wrote: Well... back in the day... xD. Sorry if past and present get mixed up here and there xD.
is that other game out of alpha? If not you owe me toks :twisted:
Sadly, money troubles are there. I would give you tokes, but toonces didn't give me my well-deserved tourneys! I won 4th place in blitz fair and square! But no, he has to ban me on day that I am to receive em'. Jajaja! (don't worry toonces, I fowgive {purposefully misspelled} you^^)

Pink Floyd

Post by Pink Floyd » Sat May 15, 2010 7:18 pm

/smite offtopic discussion

anyway, if moderators were to be introduced in newb servers, i dont think touneys would be the way to go unless maybe the newb plays for a year, Its more of something you want to do already. If this were implemented however, mods are gonna need some resources to work with, such as cash and practice colonies, and they need to be like spectators in a blitz game sorta - not part of the actual game and not gain exp, they are just there to help out the newbs.

Onionknight

Post by Onionknight » Wed May 26, 2010 8:36 am

I am a new player and what keeps people in game is a good community (which is there) and well lots of perks. When your a newb you want to explore and find little repetition (which is hard because a lot of people will go into to this game and say "wow space background, different textured planets..i seen it all"). Put more things new things into the galaxy. New weapons, new planet types, new ships, new hardware, heck new npcs - maybe a giant floating space alien (just an enlarged planet alien.... i dunno sounds cool despite being pointless).

The module system, despite what people say, is a good step towards bring in something new. Probably old veterans won't like change much (they never do), but it has to be done if you want to increase this game's appeal to newbie players.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:14 pm

Onionknight wrote:I am a new player and what keeps people in game is a good community (which is there) and well lots of perks. When your a newb you want to explore and find little repetition (which is hard because a lot of people will go into to this game and say "wow space background, different textured planets..i seen it all"). Put more things new things into the galaxy. New weapons, new planet types, new ships, new hardware, heck new npcs - maybe a giant floating space alien (just an enlarged planet alien.... i dunno sounds cool despite being pointless).

The module system, despite what people say, is a good step towards bring in something new. Probably old veterans won't like change much (they never do), but it has to be done if you want to increase this game's appeal to newbie players.
No, I LOVED the idea of a module system. I disliked the implementation of it.