New Rebang

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

squeemish

New Rebang

Post by squeemish » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:50 pm

Set UN to last the full 14 days.

This will create an interesting PAX / PK hybrid. Fighting is normal, but a player can choose to keep their colonies protected, or they can /cancelun to take a chance on invasion while reaping the growth and exp rewards. All sorts of other interesting dynamics and strategies may emerge.

I believe most PAX players aren't afraid of a good fight (although there are exceptions). They are generally avoiding the pain of loosing their favorite planets or their whole empire while they sleep; Good builders get attached to their creations. This hybrid construct might help bring the two communities together.

I don't care so much about the other galaxy params, galaxy map, etc, typical settings are fine.

This should replace one or more existing lesser rebangs, we've got too many right now anyway.

If it works I'd love to eventually see a big bang set up this way too.

-nox-

Re: New Rebang

Post by -nox- » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:18 pm

i like this idea alot, however:

1) only to replace some rebang(s), not another rebang, we need less rebangs!

2) the fighting bit is not too important, hardly anyone risks the fight on rebangs in the first place and with so few players on rebangs, when do you ever meet someone to fight? not really an issue worth having a new rebang type.

that said, i really like the "to cancel un or not to cancel un" idea, will bring new tactics in the game which will be very interesting.

squeemish

Post by squeemish » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:11 pm

-nox- wrote:i like this idea alot, however:

1) only to replace some rebang(s), not another rebang, we need less rebangs!

2) the fighting bit is not too important, hardly anyone risks the fight on rebangs in the first place and with so few players on rebangs, when do you ever meet someone to fight? not really an issue worth having a new rebang type.

that said, i really like the "to cancel un or not to cancel un" idea, will bring new tactics in the game which will be very interesting.
Point 1: Agreed.

Point 2: I agree, fighting is minimal these days on rebangs. I don't think the idea creates a "new" rebang type, it uses the standard rebang rules. The only difference is one galaxy parameter. That's my favorite part about the idea, its trivially easy to implement.

-nox-

Post by -nox- » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:51 pm

i really like this idea.

yes, this post is useless, but it might get people to notice it :)

gamanche

Post by gamanche » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:01 pm

how about no more hugging rebangs? hes not going to make more rebangs when no one plays the ones that are there right now.. how about having some interest in the ones that are there now.. then he might think of it

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:14 am

Dave34 wrote:I've had the idea of having a rebang that has a map the size of civil war, this would be a pretty competitive bang, since finding your enemies/competition would be easy, but to compinsate the fuel regen would be .33 gallons of fuel per minute, and U.N. protection would last 4 days instead of 3, giving a little extra time to build.

i agree. rebang servers are too large.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:35 pm

/agree. The size of the rebangs should be directly proportional to the average amount of rebangers per galaxy per hour.(Overall people over last 14 week period(people who logged counted once per hour)/308/# of rebangs * 250 + 100) = # of systems.
So... lets have an example...
Overall people over last 2 weeks = n
308 = # of hours in 2 weeks
# of rebangs = j
250 = 250
100 = minimum number of systems
So....
n = 828
j = 26
So...
5321*/308/26*250+100 = 266.1 systems or 266 systems in this galaxy. The low # of galaxies would be good because we have such low competition. The #'s could be changed, but that is the basic concept...(I am also sure that the first # would not be 5321 with current # of players...)
This is number of logged on's and amount of time each person is on. If one person logs on +1, if they stay for 3 hours... it goes up another +2. As such, staying three hours would add +3. One person would not be able to add more than 308 points to n (huge stretch btw).

Second example... Currently, I would say that 75-100 people are active right now. 150-200 are part-time players. So. lets say that the active people play an average of 14 hours per week. Lets say that the part-time people play 6 hours per week. Multiply both values by two(two weeks). So 28 and 12. We will use the minimum and maximum values for both to see the possible player hours we would be seeing per week. 28 * 100 + 12 + 200 = 5200 player hours. 28 * 75 + 12 * 150 = 3900 player hours.
Max = 5200 player hours - this means 262 systems in any rebang starting at the time with this value for n.
Min = 3900 player hours - this means 221.7 systems or 222 systems in any rebang starting at the time with this value for n.

The current amount of players in the community don't allow for large galaxies, but I think it would be for the best. This system would be useful in that with the j value, if toonces took out more galaxies or added more, the # of systems would change accordingly. Meanwhile, if the # of overall # of players increases, we will have an increase in the size of our rebangs accordingly. This reduction in rebang size will hopefully help with the saturation of rebangs as well.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:05 am

love it. those paxers that are avoiding conflict could just as easily build for a team of dueltards in some half dead perma somewhere. even the people there that WANT to fight cant find an opponent, so its really not much different than what their used to.