In Game Player Location On Map

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

chronas

In Game Player Location On Map

Post by chronas » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:15 pm

I think it would be interesting to be able to pull up our maps and be able to see the location of players that are online. You might have a flashing dot on the map. Knowing where the other player is would certainly make the game more fun.

You might have an add on that would allow them to go invisible for 30 to 60 seconds. they would have to either use extra warp fuel of a large amount of cash to use the invisibility mode. They would be limited to only using invisibility mode only once every 15 to 30 minutes. I would like to know what others think of this idea...

Woots

Re: In Game Player Location On Map

Post by Woots » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:55 pm

Lol, NO

wingshooter

Post by wingshooter » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:31 pm

too easy. you can already find corpie using "/c". illuminating others? nah man

-Renegade-

Post by -Renegade- » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:03 pm

Whats that your snorting chronas, can i have some?

Havok

Post by Havok » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:51 pm

No. :evil:

chronas

Post by chronas » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:44 pm

I can see there are a lot of players here that are afraid to have their location known. When i go throught the servers and watch the post you all talk like your the best and no one can kill you. But let somoen suggest that your location be known on the map and you all turn into chickens... :lol: Most of you spend more time here trying to spam and twist the subject. Hopefully some of you will grow up and realize the this game will change with or without me. Better to push the changes no then later.

Woots

Post by Woots » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:11 pm

chronas wrote:I can see there are a lot of players here that are afraid to have their location known. When i go throught the servers and watch the post you all talk like your the best and no one can kill you. But let somoen suggest that your location be known on the map and you all turn into chickens... :lol: Most of you spend more time here trying to spam and twist the subject. Hopefully some of you will grow up and realize the this game will change with or without me. Better to push the changes no then later.
Changes, yes, crappy changes, NO

-Renegade-

Post by -Renegade- » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:49 pm

chronas wrote:I can see there are a lot of players here that are afraid to have their location known. When i go throught the servers and watch the post you all talk like your the best and no one can kill you. But let somoen suggest that your location be known on the map and you all turn into chickens... :lol: Most of you spend more time here trying to spam and twist the subject. Hopefully some of you will grow up and realize the this game will change with or without me. Better to push the changes no then later.
First of all, you play pax so you cant even begin to talk, second of all, no one feels like having some one being able to track them down, find their colonies, and mine their port every single time they log out. part of SGE being a galactic frontier is the privacy of regions, and scouting takes work to track down enemy cols, and typically if you look up the location of some one they are probabaly either at their cols, at a base, or at some one elses cols who they are invading. if you wanna find some one ask where u can meet them, and if you contracted them just type /c

and no one but you wants to push the bad changes

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:21 am

did you ever think that we were shooting down your god awful ideas to protect people weaker than ourselves rather than cowardly self interest? just because i can run from an ambush doesn't mean that every player that logs in will be able to. what you are suggesting is to make griefing noobs that much easier. we have a hard enough time keeping potential players as it is.

toast

Post by toast » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:33 pm

when i first read it i said HELLLLLLL NO

now that i read all the criticism, it occurs to me that although it would change the game HUGELY, it could be pretty cool...

just think about the fun you could have hunting people down :) no more noobs running away and hiding.

and chronas has a point (i dont know chronas so i wont I love you man! at him for playing pax). half the crap on the forums these days is you people talking BBQ about how awesome you are. man up and kill some people :)

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:22 pm

Maybe only have it for certain servers?

Draze

Post by Draze » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:24 pm

Rofl Ok so you want innocent builders who gain a bunch of exp like peanutz on P5 (sorry peanutz I didn't get your permission first) to be jumped by a team of noobs like pwnster? (XD sorry couldn't resist) Theres a possibility that this could be added on a unique server that was made for space combat but that server won't happen therefore this idea won't happen. Btw I could pwn you all................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ At being the biggest noob. :mrgreen:

Raviel-PLAGUE-

Post by Raviel-PLAGUE- » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:28 pm

Well if you cant defend yourself you be pretty newb, i think its a good idea to increase fighting, servers get very boring another reason why people quit, but i think it should just show you the players in general locations.

Not their names or anything, so you cant target someone, but if your lookin for some fun in general you can find someone amongst the hundreds of stars.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:24 pm

pirates used to be at a big disadvantage, now its clearly superior, far too much so. i think if anything like this were to really be considered at all, it would need to be a reworking of the pirate tips / sighted warping system.

KUKA
2009 Double Champion

Post by KUKA » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:30 pm

When KUKA read this for the first time he thought about replying that this was the single worst idea he could remember anyone having posted.

On further relfection, though, one small change to this could make it a great idea: make it an "opt-in" GPS-like system. You want to get on a server and go hunt down all of the other battle jocks? Register with the system so you can see and be seen by all the other people who have opted in. Maybe even make it so in the server screen you see not only how many people are online, but how many people have registered in this tracking system so all the jocks can congregate in that server and do their thing. This would actually alleviate the problem of nubs logging in and shouting "who wants to 1v1 me?" for 10 minutes.

Make it happen to everyone? Hell no - horrible idea. Maybe on blitz, but it would make any other sever so that 2 or 3 people would just stalk the main builders, who would in turn have to spend most of their time in port or on planets rather than building.

toast

Post by toast » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:43 pm

Kuka makes a good point(s).

This just occured to me: maybe everyone should have protection for a certain time. Then after a certain number of player kills, they lose this protection and everyone can see them. This way, builders would be able to maintain their protection by not killing people.

Would need to change so that invasion deaths dont count toward this number. I dont know what the number is..but say..100? 50? something like that.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:44 am

that dynamic might end sleeper farming, for better or worse.

chronas

Post by chronas » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:37 pm

I myself enjoy playing on the Perma's. If you really want to find out how this might change the dynamics of the game. Then why dont we test it on the Perma's. That way when these new players come on and start bragging and threating, i will know right where they are. Anyone sitting on a colony and waiting for it to open will not be able to hide. Thats really the only place that you can kill another player is on a degrade. Also you can use mines and lasers in space. Therefore this will really give everyone a chance to get a degrade that is about to open. It seems that the game changes so much lately so whats another patch. You can improve a game unless you try something new.
I for one lost a ton of cash on this last one upgrading. the next day or so the price dropped way down. That was a royal mess up on the programmers part. By rights we should have reset everything back a day or so.

Pathfinder1

Post by Pathfinder1 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:53 pm

terrible idea in my opinion. Even if its just dots with no name, it reveals to much info. Theres been a dot in x,y,z system every day at 2pm. Therefore you know someone has colonies in that system they check on reg. And you can just happen by at 2pm to see if you can take whoever it is. Sure fire way to drive off any new players.
on the other hand, I wouldn't be opposed to it if there was a cheap module to buy to opt out (or opt in)

toast

Post by toast » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:00 pm

tekkamanblade wrote:that dynamic might end sleeper farming, for better or worse.

yeah i thought of that. but....doesnt bother me much.

as for pathfinder's argument...wouldnt my solution take care of new players? all that needs to be done is ensure that new players realize they will lose this protection after a certain number of player kills. if they choose to lose this protection before they are ready...that is their fault, correct?

also, im not sure that you all realize that if someone shows up in the same system you are in, looking for a fight, that does not mean that you have to fight them...

assuming that the two players involved are even remotely experienced, it is difficult to get a kill if the other player runs away. And if people team up, and someone dies, WHO CARES. XP MEANS NOTHING (except on rebangs, but im not sure i would support this idea on rebangs)

TT

Post by TT » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:56 am

chronas wrote:I myself enjoy playing on the Perma's. If you really want to find out how this might change the dynamics of the game. Then why dont we test it on the Perma's. That way when these new players come on and start bragging and threating, i will know right where they are. Anyone sitting on a colony and waiting for it to open will not be able to hide. Thats really the only place that you can kill another player is on a degrade. Also you can use mines and lasers in space. Therefore this will really give everyone a chance to get a degrade that is about to open. It seems that the game changes so much lately so whats another patch. You can improve a game unless you try something new.
I for one lost a ton of cash on this last one upgrading. the next day or so the price dropped way down. That was a royal mess up on the programmers part. By rights we should have reset everything back a day or so.
Does this guy realize that pax is not the standard game?

chronas

Post by chronas » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:14 pm

Of course i know the differences between pax servers and PK servers.

duece

Post by duece » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:45 pm

I like kuka's version.. would be fun for when I was feeling like I wanted a fight and some actual player interaction. But would I want to make it 0 effort for someone to scout my cols while I was building? 0 effort to hunt down builders or newb? No that's stupid.

And chronas don't defend your original idea just be glad it was saved by some common sense in the thread.

squeemish

Post by squeemish » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:19 am

Kuka's version has merit. A couple of refinements:

Like the medals it should default to showing your info. If it defaults to off it won't get used and it will be a useless patch.

The intel reports on those with the info turned off should be much more explicit, but only when that player is online.

chronas

Post by chronas » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:41 pm

Glad to see someone is thinking beside myself. Ideas can be altered to accommodate the game and players. The way I view it and others view it can be totally different. But if its tossed around enough then something comes out of it. This is the only way for this game to evolve in your favor and the rest of the players. I have actually enjoyed hearing from those who see things differently.
No change to the game will benefit everyone.