Alien Tech

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

KUKA
2009 Double Champion

Alien Tech

Post by KUKA » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:27 pm

At first KUKA didn't like aliens giving negs, but it's turned into one of the better upgrades in the game from the last couple of years. It made invading/fighting easier in remote reaches of space and made aliens relevant again, while also giving new players a way to get a boost in killing npcs at the start of the game. In that spirit...

It would be great if - in addition to the 3 artis out there at any time - there could be 3 "super aliens" out there (also to be found buying drinks in port). When u kill the super alien, it would give u one one of the following missiles:

EMP Nuke (or neg): In addition to normal damage, this has same EMP effect as Sethdar special
-or-
Turbo Nuke: Goes double distance/speed as nuke
-or-
Inertia Disruptor Nuke (or neg): In addition to normal damage, this has same Inertia Disruptor effect as Garbage Barge special

Those missiles items would only be obtainable through those aliens - never at a starbase.

This would reinvigorate buying drinks as part of the game - as things stand now, people rarely bother once they know where the paras are and have their artis of choice. It would also expand the list of things new players could do for cash, since these items would fetch a pretty good price on all servers. Finally, they would add an interesting twist to space fights.

MutedJazz

Re: Alien Tech

Post by MutedJazz » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:41 pm

/fondle Kuka

I like the idea. And would these weapons have to be carried or could you possibly stockpile them in a WF?

wingshooter

Post by wingshooter » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:43 pm

I also dig the idea. i would like to be able to stockpile in a WF. although if you could only have the one strategy would have to employed in its usage. overall good idea
/respect

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:07 am

KUKA wrote:Turbo Nuke: Goes double distance/speed as nuke
Negs are faster than nukes by far

squeemish

Post by squeemish » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:22 pm

I also really like this idea.
KUKA wrote:It would be great if - in addition to the 3 artis out there at any time - there could be 3 "super aliens" out there
I think the "super aliens" should be an NPC IG ship on a planet surface. That would be fun.
KUKA wrote:... also to be found buying drinks in port
I like this to an extent, but possibly mix it up a bit? Perhaps there could be other ways of getting this kind of information. For example, if you kill an NPC you have a low chance of it dropping an info icon (looks like a resource or cash dropped in space) which would tell you something like an arti location, but I'm not sold on this myself. Any other ideas?
KUKA wrote:When u kill the super alien, it would give u one of the following missiles:
These are good ones.

I would also like to see some colony-specific single-use hardware too, that can be deployed inside a dome only. For example, a "happy" arti that ups the morale of that colony by 200. Another would be the "smart" arti that gives the colony 2 levels of a specific research. Another could auto-resource the current building. The "Nanite" arti would flood the current construction with nanites to instantly finish the job. Etc, etc.

CrazyChef
2010 Starport Champion

Post by CrazyChef » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:31 am

good idea.. no to the stockpiling them ( the special weapons).. MAYBE a slot for 8 or 16 max

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:16 pm

i love this, new art you say? nah, just change the color schemes.