Ideas Requested: New Weapons

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Toonces
Site Admin

Ideas Requested: New Weapons

Post by Toonces » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:50 am

Any ideas for new weapons, or improvements to existing weapons? Please post them here.

Here's an example: Double barrell guns, now you can fire two p-shooter bullets at a time instead of just one.

Unit001

Re: Ideas Requested: New Weapons

Post by Unit001 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:04 pm

Name: Mining Ray

Ability or Modification: On planet surface, when the weapon fires, it extracts metal from the planet, at maximum two units per second. In space the weapon would extract spice from the folds of space/time at a rate of 1 unit of spice every 2-5 seconds. Used against other ships, this ship would deal 1 damage per second. Energy usage rate would be as low as possible, perhaps the same as the cloak on the avenger. The beam could be the same as the death ray, just a different color and a different sound, maybe a low hum sound.

Sales pitch: Less of a weapon and more of a tool. This device helps builders and support players who aren't fighting/invading. This device would compliment Atom Smashers and would help maintain Solar Cannons. This would be interesting for the builder who is waiting for a colony to finish building or, again, to use with Atom Smashers. How about that barge that flies 10 hops, why not gather some spice on the way?

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:51 pm

The greatest problem is that there isn’t a real reason to use any weapons apart from those on the USC/Seth/IGS.

So the idea is to make the other ones (even those of the cheapest ships) a little more dangerous. BALANCING IS UP TO THE DEV. Chances are a few ideas need some limitations or other kinds of balancing

I’ve forgotten some names.

Merchant anti laser/nuke thingy: Increase its range so that it can defend other ships. Encourages teamwork.

Fusion Blaster: Poor man’s photon… Meh. Guess it be ok.

Pea Shooter: Give it a vampiric attribute and increase its damage.

Barge’s confusion thing: Get rid of it. Replace it with a tron-like wall making thing which doesn’t stay forever.

Scout’s firing to the back thing: Rubbish. Replace with a “activate all artefacts” function. And make the scout a ship capable of carrying more than 3 artefacts. With only 3 active at the same time, of course. New viable profession: artefact hunter with scout.

Falcon: Make shields. And make them tradable. New Profession: field medic.

Flagship: Tanker.For the duration of the special all corp members in the system share their shields.

Speedstar: Go super fast. The acceleration is also added to all fired weapons.

Flower: The energy draining bolts become a system wide “wave” slowly draining all enemy ships. Of course Flower’s so slow/weak it’d need protection.
Encourages teamwork.

Hellborne laser: Fires trough everything in a very, very long beam. Balanced by damage falloff and the fact that far away targets are hard to aim at.

Explosive thingy primary weapon (bolts look like mines): The mines are invisible on the radar and stay a lot longer.

Battleships special: Hold alt fire to build up damage. The shot fired will do a lot more damage.

ET VOILA. All weapons have a purpose and at the same time there’s a headstart to revamping all ships (overdue).

Armor

Post by Armor » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:21 pm

MadAce wrote:Barge’s confusion thing: Get rid of it. Replace it with a tron-like wall making thing which doesn’t stay forever. - I like

Falcon: Make shields. And make them tradable. New Profession: field medic. - I like, perhaps 'cause I'm only really good as a medic on Battlefield lol

Flagship: Tanker.For the duration of the special all corp members in the system share their shields. - I don't like as much. The tractor is so useful for wild and crazy guy kills

Battleships special: Hold alt fire to build up damage. The shot fired will do a lot more damage. - I like, reminds me of a weapon in Mech Warrior
Oh, and Toonces, thanks for not making a post-word-limit on here. I know some forums require a certain number of words outside a quote and that's terribly annoying. <thumbs up>

Havok

Post by Havok » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:08 pm

MadAce wrote:
Scout’s firing to the back thing: Rubbish. Replace with a “activate all artefacts” function. And make the scout a ship capable of carrying more than 3 artefacts. With only 3 active at the same time, of course. New viable profession: artefact hunter with scout.

Falcon: Make shields. And make them tradable. New Profession: field medic.

Explosive thingy primary weapon (bolts look like mines): The mines are invisible on the radar and stay a lot longer.

ET VOILA. All weapons have a purpose and at the same time there’s a headstart to revamping all ships (overdue).
I like these 3! Good ideas MA 8)

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:13 pm

How about a new hardware item:

-occupies 1 hardware slot and is consumed on use, just like a nuke or neg
-fires straight ahead, no tracking ability, with range and speed similar to a photon torp
-does about 4k shield damage

Something to shake up space battles and provide an alternative to nukes

Separate idea: What about making all the primary weapons do more damage so you don't necessarily need nukes to win a space fight?

squeemish

Post by squeemish » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:30 pm

A couple basic concepts, not full specs:

Boomerang: Two rotating shapes go out about the distance of a grav, then each break to their respective sides about 300 degrees (this is angled back towards the firing ship slightly) going for an addition 1/2 grav distance. Getting hit by one obviously does half the damage of getting hit by both. Should fade away (e.g., not explode w/ splash).

Distance/time = strength: There should be one that gets stronger with distance/time. Up close it should do very little damage, and long shots should really hurt. This would need to be a projectile weapon. Possible change to exploding bombs?

Wabbling pea shooter: Each shot tends to shift a bit to the left and right as it goes. This creates a cone of pea shots, perhaps a 20 degree spread. Since there will be more that miss at a distance, the fire rate may need to go up w/ corresponding drop in energy usage, possibly and possibly a slight drop in damage.

Sticky web: (This is a defensive weapon) Squirt out a mess of white goo. Slows down any ship that touches it to 1/4 speed. Sprays out about 1/2 the distance of a grav beam in roughly a 45 degree cone. The web stays for a long time. This is mostly a cheesy escape device so it should use very little power. It should also make a squirt sound, that would be entertaining :)

pewpewpew
Location: In mah uber dreamsower, shooting nukes at you by the dozen.

Post by pewpewpew » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:45 pm

hey its toonces.

->some sort of lock on weapon, time to lock on, breif lock on duration. Lockon=Seeking Nolock=DumbImage
->Bullets that go through DAMAGEABLE targets and do damage.
->Flak Cannons, shoot a bunch of projectiles that spread in a 10 degree angle with random life variation and explosion
->Player-mounted turret (requires keyboard to turn and fire)
->specialized hardware bays EG.
--------Bay 1=Forward Weapon& general Bay
--------Bay 2=passive hardware& general Bay
ect...
->a "chain reaction" weapon, limited amount of reactions of course(else 1 shot all lasers dead)Image
->a "Charge up weapon", perhaps with multiple stages and effectsImage
->Missile with 1 second of seeking
->Forcefield projector, puts up walls about 30 pixels long with 500 shield points of damage, takes 500 energy
Last edited by pewpewpew on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:01 pm

pewpewpew wrote:hey its toonces.

->some sort of lock on weapon, time to lock on, breif lock on duration. Lockon=Seeking Nolock=Dumb
->Flak Cannons, shoot a bunch of projectiles that spread in a 10 degree angle with random life variation and explosion
ect...
->a "chain reaction" weapon, limited amount of reactions of course(else 1 shot all lasers dead)
->a "Charge up weapon", perhaps with multiple stages and effects
->Forcefield projector, puts up walls about 30 pixels long with 500 shield points of damage, takes 500 energy
Could use some major adjustments. I personally wouldn't want to see any of these added to the game the way they are now.
Last edited by BardockSGE on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:37 pm

New Idea: Charge Shot. Charge by holding your primary weapon hot key down, max damage depends on how long it is charged for, possibly in the neighborhood of a 700-800 damage cap? Maybe it'll cost, around maybe 500,000-750,000 credits at a base. Give it the same distance of a photon. Seems like a pretty simple and basic weapon, aye? Give the max charge up time around 10-15 seconds. Energy use would depend on how long it was charged, of course. Max charge energy use, around 400? Or in the same neighborhood of a photon shot. It would also be able to bounce.

New Idea: Emegency Brake. Obvious to it's name, a brake we could replace our primary weapon which would be like an anchor, only much more instant with the cost of 250 energy per use. Obviously this would have no effect for damage. Cost would be around 750,000-1,000,000. Some may think this would be a useless addition, but for me, a stronger brake would be my best friend when evading projectiles. Pretty simple, it wouldn't exactly be a weapon, more of an upgrade to our ship at the cost of losing our primary weapon.

Modify: Death Ray. Extend it out a bit, maybe 3/4 of the length of a grav beam. Don't decrease of the power of it, otherwise it'd remain what it is now: More trouble than it's worth. Increase the price to around 400,000-500,000 credits. Honestly I don't see this do what I'd call immense damage for the trouble you go to in order to hit with this attack.

Bardock's Dream Weapon: Kamehameha Wave. Toonces, make it happen and I'll be nice to new players for an entire week.

Armor

Post by Armor » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:58 pm

BardockSGE wrote:Modify: Death Ray. Extend it out a bit, maybe 3/4 of the length of a grav beam. Don't decrease of the power of it, otherwise it'd remain what it is now: More trouble than it's worth. Increase the price to around 400,000-500,000 credits. Honestly I don't see this do what I'd call immense damage for the trouble you go to in order to hit with this attack.
Agreed.

pewpewpew

Post by pewpewpew » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:25 pm

BardockSGE wrote:
pewpewpew wrote:hey its toonces.

->some sort of lock on weapon, time to lock on, breif lock on duration. Lockon=Seeking Nolock=Dumb
ect...
->a "chain reaction" weapon, limited amount of reactions of course(else 1 shot all lasers dead)
->a "Charge up weapon", perhaps with multiple stages and effects
Could use some major adjustments. I personally wouldn't want to see any of these added to the game the way they are now.
hark? is that discrimination I hear? Theyre just concepts anyways

WeirdAl34

Post by WeirdAl34 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:07 am

Toonces wrote:Any ideas for new weapons, or improvements to existing weapons? Please post them here.

Here's an example: Double barrell guns, now you can fire two p-shooter bullets at a time instead of just one.

Toonces, i like that alot, could be very nice.

New feature to ship- Buy it like a weapon..maybe a new *third* weapon....Increased speed for a duration of 3 seconds...Could be helpful whether dodging nukes, getting better speed towards a dome, or simple travel.

WeirdAl34

Post by WeirdAl34 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:16 am

Geh...double post, but i came up wit a tweak for the IGS.

Have a Intergalactic's acid splash, deals damage over time when it hits you(10 or 20 per second)

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:37 am

For how many seconds?

squeemish

Post by squeemish » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:49 am

Death Ray Enhancement: I can't remember who to credit with this idea, but someone suggested the death ray be able to pop mines. If you aren't changing the death ray to be a longer range, then the ability to clear mines with minimal damage is an interesting enhancement.

Flanking drones: Shoots out a drone (looks like a mini ship) which quickly breaks to one side or the other of the targeted enemy, and then approaches from the side. These projectiles can be shot down very easily with any offensive weapon except for the grav beam which won't lock on. (grav beam exception isn't required but I like the idea). The targeted ship has to choose between turning away to shoot down the drone vs. stay pointed at the shooter. This weapon will work well in open space, and fairly poorly next to planets, asteroids, or walls. I'm thinking roughly the same energy as exploding bombs, and slightly less damage.

IshXIII

Post by IshXIII » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:17 am

best weapons on best ships. just get the game more balance by making the grav to heavy to fit on a isc or seth (altough that combo is lovely)

like a grav can only be ona battle (max) and isc/seth can max have fusion or those little black exploding balls that i never ever have used.

ohw!? yeah no one would like that eyh? bcos itll be to balanced? suddenly a isc is reduced allot and a battle became more powerfull! a ceo would not be so super anymore but all of them still better ships. but the less better ships have the better weapons!? now that would mos defo balance things out concerning all the ships-

EDIT: (this is concerning excisting weapons)

SnakeEyes

Post by SnakeEyes » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:17 pm

IshXIII wrote:best weapons on best ships. just get the game more balance by making the grav to heavy to fit on a isc or seth (altough that combo is lovely)

like a grav can only be ona battle (max) and isc/seth can max have fusion or those little black exploding balls that i never ever have used.

ohw!? yeah no one would like that eyh? bcos itll be to balanced? suddenly a isc is reduced allot and a battle became more powerfull! a ceo would not be so super anymore but all of them still better ships. but the less better ships have the better weapons!? now that would mos defo balance things out concerning all the ships-

who would want gravs on a seth anyway :P

Unit001

Post by Unit001 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:58 pm

IshXIII wrote:best weapons on best ships. just get the game more balance by making the grav to heavy to fit on a isc or seth (altough that combo is lovely)

IMO not a good idea. Some ships are supposed to be better than others.

Chettoes121

Post by Chettoes121 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:01 pm

Exploding Rounds
:: Exploding rounds
::Purchaseable at star bases
::Add-on to all projectile primary weapons
::The Splash Damage is 1/4 of damage done by the actual weapon
::Cost 350,000 Credits

KottonMouthKing

Post by KottonMouthKing » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:08 am

smaller version of the igs flame wave half the # of fire ball come out but rest same damage per fire ball ,distance

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:50 am

Another nice idea:

stats (wisdom, charisma, ...) influence how weapons perform.

Would add a reason to stray from the standard 10dex5wis.

jangsy5

Post by jangsy5 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:55 am

Nice.

Gravity well
Causes a massive impulse of EMF that can cause intertia of ships to increase dramaticly... Hence crippling shields. Also if this is going to be a secondary the well draws near by ships closer to the use... like a tracking beam except it can cause damage and is 360' range. Energy consumption is 10 per sec. Damage depends on how far the ship is.
if seen in pixiles... about 200px will cause about 5 dm sec, 100px 15 dm sec, 50px 30dm sec.

Mega gun
Takes 1 second to charge when fired. ie, when pushed the fire button the gun charges and fires a extremelong beam that causes 200 damage at a shor cost of 80 en. Very pricy and rate of fire is 2 seconds.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:16 pm

jangsy5 wrote:Nice.

Gravity well
Causes a massive impulse of EMF that can cause intertia of ships to increase dramaticly... Hence crippling shields. Also if this is going to be a secondary the well draws near by ships closer to the use... like a tracking beam except it can cause damage and is 360' range. Energy consumption is 10 per sec. Damage depends on how far the ship is.
if seen in pixiles... about 200px will cause about 5 dm sec, 100px 15 dm sec, 50px 30dm sec.

Mega gun
Takes 1 second to charge when fired. ie, when pushed the fire button the gun charges and fires a extremelong beam that causes 200 damage at a shor cost of 80 en. Very pricy and rate of fire is 2 seconds.
Both seem a tad bit over powered and I'm really not sure how they would honestly fit into the game. We don't need another tractor beam that causes damage, honestly we really don't. Tractor should be left alone and there is no need for a second one.

Chettoes121

Post by Chettoes121 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:06 pm

Co Piolt
::Second Primary Weapon
:: You Have No Control Over it Exept--
::Turn on/off With a command (/co-p on/off)
::Auto Fires
::Only Laser Rifles Usable (projectiles)
::Pilot Hireable Only In Sol (maby on earth planet in sol)
::Weapon For Co Pilot Purchasable at any strbase
::sells For 400k to start and 50k a day from your bank or hand.
::Less Damage
::Requires Reloads
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Chettoes121

Post by Chettoes121 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm

Paint Jobs
::Change Ship Color
::Costs 100,000 Credits
::Purchasable at Starbases
::Offers All Basic Colors

Chettoes121

Post by Chettoes121 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:19 pm

Booster
::Like The Booster Special on that ship you get when 1st come into a server
::Costs 700,000 Credits
::Uses 900 energy
::Triples Speed For 2 Seconds(maby longer idk)
::Makes Jet Stream In its Path
::Purchasable Only At Pirate base

Chettoes121

Post by Chettoes121 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:26 pm

Flash Photon
::Turns Whole Screen White For 2 Seconds(For Who it Hits)
::Purchasable Any Starbase but Pirate Base
::Costs 50,000 Credits Per Use
:: Uses 300 Energy
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

pewpewpew

Post by pewpewpew » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:22 pm

cheteoes, please use the "edit button" from now on instead of spamming posts

Armor

Post by Armor » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:01 pm

Chettoes121 wrote:Paint Jobs
::Change Ship Color
::Costs 100,000 Credits
::Purchasable at Starbases
::Offers All Basic Colors
This wouldn't be all that hard to do. Grayscale all the ship images and provide semi-transparent color overlays. I could do it in a day.