New Factions!

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

jangsy5

New Factions!

Post by jangsy5 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:30 am

Since ppl think me posting every ideas separately seems unreasonable I just hauled all my ideas into one.

Ideas might seem irrational and hard to understand but these bunch of ideas links in some way. If it doesn’t then I just put them in the misc. section. People who don't have the patience will just skim read. Groupings of ideas are in BOLD. If you have ideas to improve or add to these, please reply. Not all of these have to be integrated into the game but if they all do, they cross over each other.

Factions
This is an advance from the UN commission. Instead of having just the high reps to have their own union I thought of others (Faction will expand the role playing of the game). This means instead of having just 'UN commission: Yes/No' in profile, it's 'Faction: UN Fleet/Death Order/Free Trade Union'. If any of these names are a corp. name then it’s completely a coincidence. There are levels to the faction that has some perks, general level for those just joined (or just loose and can change sides) and higher committed level for ppl who are permanent members to the faction(with higher perks than the general level). The level is displayed as 'Faction rank: member/higher member'(it's more varied than this) (I said level before for it might confuse ppl). Some NPCs will be in a faction (bare with me); they have ‘F’ (capital letter) added to their prefix.

Universally there are some rules to the faction system. You can only leave at the general ranking. If you leave you will lose rep, or credits, or experience. At high rank you will not be able to leave. Corp relations and faction type will not mean to clash, for then there won’t be invasions or wars of corps. There’re meant to be special missions for each factions but I won’t get into that, someone else should come up with each faction.

-UN Fleet
This is what faction you join when signing to UN commission. However you can sign up for it at 3000+ rep, at sol. The rankings are: Cadet and Enforcer. Extra addition, all NPCs in UN Fleet will fly a squad car (explained at ship section) or Imperial Star cruiser.

Cadet does not give 100k bonus as the current UN commission does, happens at enforcer. At Cadet rank the perks are cheaper weapons at sol Starbase, this excludes mines, missiles and turrets. Perks are only available in Sol starbase. You get access to UN hot line as before. You can buy a squad car. You can buy Imperial Star cruiser as before but costs 25% more (2.5mill). If your rep goes fewer than 10 then you automatically get kicked out of UN Fleet and cannot join until 10 days have passed with consequences of losing 15% exp. Killing fellow UN Fleet member has consequence of losing extra 50 rep (unless duelling), this is because then you just can’t kill if you are at war with corps. At this rank the cadet may leave the UN Fleet but with consequence of losing 500 rep and 10% of experience, you cannot rejoin for 10 days.

Enforcer requires player to be a rank of Cadet for 10 days and have 5000+ rep. To become enforcer go to the police station at cadet rank and sign up. You have all the perks as a cadet and more. Cheaper squad car, Imperial Star cruiser costs 2mill and parking in UN protected sectors costs only 4/5 of the tax player pays when the player was not in the UN Fleet. Mines become cheaper at this point. If you kill a minus rep you get bonus commission in credits: x4 of the exp you receive. If you kill a Death Order (explained later on) member or an evil Free Trade Union member (explained later on), you receive extra x8 of the exp you receive as bonus credits and extra 10 to your rep. Enforcer will get 100k bonus as before. Getting tips of locations of bounty players are accessible at this point. If you go below 10 rep you will be charged with miss conduct of law and have 7 days to get his/her rep up, after this period he or she will lose 5mill credits, or another option of 15% loss of exp. Killing fellow UNF will have same consequences as cadets. Colonies gain 1 extra day by UN protection.

-Death Order
This is a faction for evil people, who just hate themselves and others. To join you must have a pre request of -3000 rep and 10k exp. Dock at the evil station and click on the ‘Death Order HQ’ and sign up. When you join you receive -1000 for becoming true evil. From the starbase you can get bonus features like discounts. NPCs that are in the DO will fly anything. Rankings are Enlistee and Elite.

The Enlistee is the general ranking. Perks are Macro Plight (explained later on) that are bought at the evil Starbase. Negotiators become slightly cheaper, scanners become cheap. Killing anything will give you bonus credits (additional x2 of what exp you gain). Go above -10 rep you will automatically be kicked for being untrustworthy and lose 20% credits in total and 10% exp (only way at this point to go back is to bribe the DO at the HQ when you reenlist, about 1mill). Leaving have consequence -500 rep, 15% credits available in total and 15% exp but can return in 14days without bribing. There is no protection from the DO at this point. You can park at your own risk, or pay tax at stations or UN space.

To become Elite you must have -5000 rep, and have 500k credits on hand (to bribe payment) or wait for 10 days after joining DO. Perks are all the Enlistees’ and cheaper nukes and cheaper shields at the Evil starbase. If you kill a UNF or a good FTU you gain extra credits (x10 from the exp you gain). You gain an additional fixed +$5000 from any NPC or Player you kill (this adds onto the UNF or FTU kill bonus). If you go above -50 rep you will be punished for unfaithfulness to the order, you have 14 days to lower you rep else be penalised in all perks for 14 days, also lose exp (about 10~20%). Each day you receive -10 rep until you have -10000 for being a fully fledged order member. At -10000 rep you will stop losing rep and only lose rep by doing other things, e.g. Robbery failure, kill good npcs/players. Your colony will have 10% extra militarisation with down side of having lower morals, democracy becomes obsolete if you become a Elite at the DO.

-Free Trade Union
A loosely formed faction made out of rich corporations that created the monopoly of stations around the galaxy. Only way to join is through the FTU main operation centre, a starbase that can also act as a trade station. In the starbase you have all the features of a normal starbase with a additional option of ‘Free Trade Union Operation Centre’. From here you enlist as a ‘Minority Member’, but can be moved upward to ‘Council Member’. FTU NPCs tend to fly freighters and trade ships.

At Minority Member you gain instant access to discounts of ships and scanners at just the one starbase. There is no rep requirement for you can be evil or good. Gain access to Luxury Cruiser. There is a Member Tax Refund; you receive an extra 2% on price after you have purchased resources, this works in all stations (only resources not cargo holdings or shields). You cannot use merchant trade area in the FTU starbase at this stage for the area is disabled for all but Council Members. If you leave there is a commission fee of 4mill, lose exp 10%. If you kill a FTU member there is only 100k tax for being ‘unjustly to fellow members’.

To enlist as Council Member you must have been in the FTU for 10 days and have at least 3mill (you do not need to give this money like DO). You get better features than MM, cheaper ships at all starbases (this extends to the evil base as well). Member Tax Refund extends to all stations including the FTU starbase and is 5% instead of 2% (this includes shields and cargo hold). There is also a MTR for hardware at the UTF starbase (weapons, missiles and turrets does not count to this bonus tax). Haggling becomes easier and if you’re evil, robbery penalty is less. Extra exp when haggling at stations. Colonies gain extra income and resources increase slightly from donations from FTU.

Ships
More ships to balance the already sided (faction) ships. These explain the ships in the previously discussed ships. Also contains other misc ships.

-Squad Car
A policing car only used by the UNF.
Class: Combat
Shield: 8000
Max Speed: 7000
Acceleration: 700
Turn: 70
Hold: 50
Warp fuel: 8
Energy Efficiency: 8
Price: 600k
Special weapon: Stun Gun
Long ranged laser used to short circuit perused ships. Each shot takes 200 energy. This is at a rate of 1 shot per second. Each travel at 11000 ks^-1, rate of 1000 ks^-2. This gun uses the basis of chance to create events. 60% that the hit ship will receive 200 damage, 40% it will cause nothing. Within that 60% there’s a 50% (30%) chance that the ship goes a-wall and move in random directions for 10 sec (the affect ship receives a message “Sir, we’re experiencing overload in our circuits”). Within that 50% of the 60% chance there’s a 50% (15%) chance that the ship will be dead in space for 10 sec (this sec cancels the previous effect, ship does not move but drift in space, just like the EMP effect). Within that 50% of the 50% of the 60% there’s a 10% (1.5%) chance that the emergency escape routine activates and the affected player is forced to eject via proximity jump. The ship does not explode, instead anyone who docks with the ship will liquidate the ship for half its value, or the attacker can just blow it up. Either way attacker still receive the respective amount of reward for fighting. The player in the escape pod can attempt to re-dock with the vulnerable ship and fly back to safety.

-Macro Plight
Exclusive Death Order ship specially designed for combat.
Shield: 14000
Max Speed: 8000
Acceleration: 900
Turn: 70
Hold: 80
Warp Fuel: 9
Energy Efficiency: 10
Price: 900k
Special weapon: Graviton Thrusters
This creates false gravity at the centre of the ship. This immense force can make the ship move at great agilities. To use this the key binding is tab + arrow keys. This pushes the ship forward and backward at great speed for a short period of time. It can even make the ship side step instead of turning, which gives great advantage when manoeuvring. Each use costs 1000 energy per second. The acceleration generated in the given direction is 10000ks^-2.
Special weapon: Havoc Gravity Bomb
Double tab and a highly dense matter ejects from the ship from the product of Graviton Thrusters. This projectile goes at speed of 6000ks^-1. Each consumes 1000 energy. Rate of fire is 1shot per 20sec. The damage is 1500 per shot.

-Luxury cruiser
Upper class travel cruiser used as commercial transporter. Produced by one of the founding corporations of FTU; Rich Monopoly enterprise.
Shield: 6000
Max Speed: 5000
Acceleration: 400
Hold: 800 (300 reserved for colonists)
Warp Fuel: 14
Energy Efficiency: 12
Price: 3mill
Special passive ability: Quad Impulse Thrusters
Replaces normal boosters with this one. This thruster increases max speed to 7000 with acceleration with 600. Energy consumption is 100 per second.

ArdRhys4

Re: New Factions!

Post by ArdRhys4 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:54 pm

I heard the factions idea at first and said: "this seems like a good idea". Then I read your post and I didn't like it. The faction's have WAY too overpowered ships and the factions themselves don't sound very tight. I would give it a 4/10.

jangsy5

Post by jangsy5 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:16 am

You know what? I think you're right. Ships should be taken out. I don't understand by 'tight'. If you mean by its uniqueness of each faction: UNF is meant to earn cash by killing bad guys. DO is meant to gain cash by killing anyone. The FTU is meant to gain exp and cash through trading. UNF gets 1 extra protection day, which could mean make quite a difference. Do gain 10% extra military for its colony that can give more puch to the invaders. FTU is economical to colonies, bonus tax income and some small resources per hour which technically is just an increase in harvest yield. But then FTU should have some long term affects to its faction. Moral and reproduction increase should be added. DO dosen't need much cuz nukes become cheaper.

I also think there should be changes to some perks in the factions but don't know where to start... if you think there should be changes made please post.

Come to think of it if there was a server type called 'Faction wars' where there is no corps but only factions it might work... in some way.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:01 pm

read my war server post. Read the whole thing.

jangsy5

Post by jangsy5 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:29 am

Yeah read it. It looks completely like mine. I don't usually look at posts that's a year old so I didn't know you had one, sorry.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:51 pm

I made it a week ago...

jangsy5

Post by jangsy5 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:00 am

Aha... ic...
Infact this post is 1 day earlier than 'war server' post....

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:33 pm

...I know...