Contractors' Colonies

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

inevamis

Contractors' Colonies

Post by inevamis » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:48 pm

Make it so contractors' colonies appear on the minimap in a different color (as opposed to no color). Makes it rly annoying to have contractors when u always go to check a a planet THEN find out it it a contractors colony. Also, dont list contractors' colonies as corporate colonies on the galaxy map.. makes u think u need to go ther to clean some cols then find out u dont rly have any ther.

BlackNova

Post by BlackNova » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:53 pm

definately, contractor cols should also show up as a seperate section on the galaxy map.

Armor

Post by Armor » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:46 pm

Seconded or thirded or whatever.

Suave

Post by Suave » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:03 am

I agree

LordSturm

Post by LordSturm » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:04 am

love this idea as well

would make everything sooooo much easier.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:45 am

should prolly move this over to the "pre-posted popular ideas" thread, haha.

RockNation

Post by RockNation » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:18 am

tekkamanblade wrote:should prolly move this over to the "pre-posted popular ideas" thread, haha.
And where is that?

Anyway I agree. It's very annoying when you want to invade a col and almost all in the system belong to some contractor.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:08 am

its one of the stickies in this section of the forum but the poster is currently MIA so it is not being updated.

Xryth

Post by Xryth » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:18 am

Love the idea. The fact that contractor cols show up as "corporate" colonies is the reason I never keep contracts (only use them in times of combat, or long enough to build a new planet, etc). It's useful for a builder, but annoying for invaders to go into a system thinking they might have a col or nukes there, and it's a contractor col.

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

agreed

-notorious-

Post by -notorious- » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:25 pm

/agree

Toonces
Site Admin

Re: Contractors' Colonies

Post by Toonces » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:09 pm

Inevamis wrote:Make it so contractors' colonies appear on the minimap in a different color (as opposed to no color). Makes it rly annoying to have contractors when u always go to check a a planet THEN find out it it a contractors colony. Also, dont list contractors' colonies as corporate colonies on the galaxy map.. makes u think u need to go ther to clean some cols then find out u dont rly have any ther.
Ok, I got the first part. But the second part I don't quite understand, since the galaxy map just draws circles colored according to the planet type, with no regard for corporate, personal, or allied ownership. Did you mean to say the holdings screen instead of the galaxy map? Please elaborate on this. Thanks.

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:13 pm

ill try this:

when you look at the galaxy map.

the window bottem left shows the coloar of the planets and then underneth says if you have a personal col there and then under that says if you have corp cols there.

contractor planets read as corp planets,

we would like some distinction to this,

like this,

personal planet: 1

corpplanets:1

contractor planets: 9

its the second part thats the most important to most i believe.

milo

Post by milo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:21 pm

in the gal map when you click on a system it lists the number of personal colonies and corporate colonies. the problem is that contractors colonies are counted towards corporate colonies. this is a problem when cleaning large empires (where holdings don't load or take too long to do so) because the gal map will show that i have a corporate col in the system but when i go to clean it i find that it is a contractors col not one belonging to my corp and i just wasted fuel to go find that out.

solution:
it should be easy to add a contractor colony count like this:
personals 5
corporate 2
contractor 3

instead of the currents system which would list the results as:
personals 5
corporate 5

[edit] damn major.arse you beat me to the explanation. and you are right the second part is more important.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:13 pm

while we are on the subject of reworking the counters...

i think "personal colonies owned 5" is misleading, like when i look on galaxy map to see what colonies i need to reshare to corp (or manually clean if i have no intention of sharing them).

maybe it should also make some sort of distinction between unshared personal planets and the planets i "personally" own but currently have shared to corporation.

also, the counters should not include planets listed in another counter. so a planet counted as a shared personal should not be counted in the corporate colonies counter, despite technically being one.

so in a system with ten colonized planets...

shared personals 4
un-shared personals 1
corporate colonies 3
contractor colonies 2

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:19 pm

tekkamanblade wrote:while we are on the subject of reworking the counters...

i think "personal colonies owned 5" is misleading, like when i look on galaxy map to see what colonies i need to reshare to corp (or manually clean if i have no intention of sharing them).

maybe it should also make some sort of distinction between unshared personal planets and the planets i "personally" own but currently have shared to corporation.

also, the counters should not include planets listed in another counter. so a planet counted as a shared personal should not be counted in the corporate colonies counter, despite technically being one.

so in a system with ten colonized planets...

shared personals 4
un-shared personals 1
corporate colonies 3
contractor colonies 2
how bout we add pollution, and cupcakes!

here :P (minus the cupcakes)

shared personals 4- 25% 10% 2% 46%
un-shared personals 1- 60%
corporate colonies 3- 20% 12% 34%
contractor colonies 2- 55% 75%

rawr

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:11 am

i can't really say im against adding pollution to galaxy map, but i don't think the planet counters are the proper place for it. i am still laboring under the impression that there is a new interwoven holdings/galaxy map in development (posts by PTT members several years ago hinted at this).

i bumped the most recent incarnation of that idea back from the dead, so it should be on the front page now. the thread is called "holdings merged with galaxy map".

essentially you would click a system on the galaxy map then click the Holdings tab to load a list of JUST that system. this would make load times near instant rather than game crashing and would make it much faster and easier to find the planet u were looking for.

i don't fully agree with maniacus's diagram, but it is definitely a place to start the discussion. please reply to this post in that thread and leave this one specifically about the counters.

inevamis

Post by inevamis » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:05 pm

Forgot I made this post lol... but ya major.arse and milo had it right. On the galaxy map when you click on a system it shows the types of planets and then it also lists number of personal cols and corporate cols in that system. People use this a lot... whether to find where they need to go to clean or to c where they can get nukes or lazors. Since contractor cols appear as corporate cols it can b rly annoying... "hey I have 3 cols in the next system thers prob nukes or lazors there".... then u fly ther and u have no cols ther... theres just contractor cols.

And going off Milo's example this is even worse:

Personal cols: 0
Corporate cols: 5

(Actual)

Personal cols: 0
Corporate cols: 0
Contractor cols: 5

Thats y we dun have contractors on p6.

If you're gonna list pollution then list total nukes and lazors and what not too :)