[IDEA] Waypoints

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Michael2

[IDEA] Waypoints

Post by Michael2 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:13 am

Idea - Waypoints

Use - Plot a route to where ever your going, but instead of the autopilot at it's 'Quickest Route' have the choice to go which ever way you want.

Scenario -

Your on a rebang and systematically want to discover each section of the map with your Neutrino's and avoid repeating systems as much as possible.

With waypoints, you can plot a course, getting all the systems you want to hit, but without having to re-adjust the autopilot.

Notes - As noticed recently, the AP 'remembers' your route for a few mins (possibly up to 10). It would be an idea to 'Save' the route you have created.

Any thoughts?

BlackNova

Post by BlackNova » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:26 am

so, Eve sge up?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Nova o.0

Michael2

Post by Michael2 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:58 pm

EVE?

Meh.

It saves time and uses a bit more fuel which would result in more token sales.

Armor

Post by Armor » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:51 pm

Don't think it would really save that much time at all. As it is now, if you want to get from point A to point B in a route other than what the autopilot selects, you just choose an interim point - essentially a waypoint - to have the autopilot take you to first, and when you get there, you select another, until you end up selecting point B again. I don't see why being able to do this at the outset would save any time at all, except for maybe the second it takes to type "alt-g" - which you'd have to do to hit "GoTo" each time you stop anyway. The only scenario in which I can see this being helpful is if you intended to set up a route and go AFK - which isn't a good idea in any case - and wanted to avoid a laserwall or minefield or something of that nature.

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:32 pm

call me crazy but i like it even tho it would increase fuel usage :shock:

Michael2

Post by Michael2 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:04 pm

feenix wrote:call me crazy but i like it even tho it would increase fuel usage :shock:
Woo - That makes two :)

toast

Post by toast » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:49 pm

i like it too- for precisely the reason you provided. It would help in scouting out systems in rebangs. Probably wouldnt be used much in permas, but thats not a problem.

Deathreape98

Post by Deathreape98 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:17 pm

How would this increase fuel usage? Wouldn't it decrease it because of going over the same systems less?

propwash

Post by propwash » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:05 am

not really.... hold your arm up in front of you. now bend it at the elbow to a 45 degree angle horizontal. ok... now you use 10 gallons of warp fuel to go from your shoulder to your hand, but in the new "waypoint autopilot" you could now use 20 gallons of fuel by stopping off at your elbow to look around first. --- thus, you use more fuel, have to buy MORE tokens, and Toonces gets even happier cause you went out of your way for what????? to find a system that only has a sun in it and no planets what-so-ever??? hehe

dumb side to this..... why not just make your elbow the point B to begin with, then when you are done just go to the next place you want to visit by plotting that leg in that way you can actually STOP at point 'B' before moving to C,D,E,F, etc????? or use the arrow pad and END key and fly it manually!???

Elemayo

Post by Elemayo » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:30 am

This would allow for plotting courses to avoid war torn areas with... maybe a lot of mines that you don't feel like hitting as you're watching TV?

Or how about this, you could plot courses that use black holes, thus saving time.

Deathreape98

Post by Deathreape98 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:27 pm

propwash, that makes absolutely no sense. If you're using it to scout an area, then you would visit every system with or without this. However, with this, there would be less repeated hops, meaning less fuel used. If you're talking about using neutrino scanners every hop and scouting the system, why would that be exclusive to this? People already do that.

Armor

Post by Armor » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:21 pm

There wouldn't be fewer repeated hops anyway, because people still have to be smart enough to plot a hop-saving scouting course with or without a waypoint system. Perhaps it would help people with bad short-term memory, but otherwise...

I suppose using it to avoid c-mines is okay, but you still have to pay enough attention to plot your course around the system, and if you don't pay enough attention to notice that AP (autopilot) plots it through, why would you pay enough attention to notice that *you* have? Regardless, flying around on autopilot while your attention is elsewhere is just a damn bad idea, we all know that and it's been proven time and time again by people flying through mined ports and BBQ like that.

And as for blackholes... I could see it being of use - maybe - to *avoid* them, as I often notice that I'm on AP through a blackhole, but lose my focus and don't realize how close I am. But for plotting *to* them, that would only save... one, two mouse clicks. I suppose that would be convenient for people going off and doing other things but, again, c-mines and all like I said above.

It's a useless system in this particular game.

Michael2

Post by Michael2 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:33 pm

Jesus - What is with all the god-damned noobs these days?

I have been thinking of this for the past few months thinking if i could justify it ...

Here comes some big noob (Called Armor, but that's another story) saying it's worthless.

Let me tell you something Armor. I hope to god you don't post an idea that has a downside (meaning that you better hope to god is perfect) or it will be shot down in a flame war by myself and we shall see how you like it.

Why don't you come back when you have some real experience.

Armor

Post by Armor » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:41 pm

Well, we have some anger issues don't we...

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:01 am

Armor wrote:Well, we have some anger issues don't we...
humm even tho you are my buddy in pax, i must say that at first you were responsible for my anger issues cuz you kept fixing my grammar lol, so maybe his anger is well placed :lol: lmao had to pull your leg lol

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:07 am

I dont see any downpoint to having waypoints at all. Many times I want to just have a coffee and not have to navigate past the mines and lasers etc. With a waypoint I can drink my coffee watch the tv and get from a to b free from the danger systems.

Deathreape98

Post by Deathreape98 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

It would get less tokens bought, however, for fuel. Think about it - how many times do people die not watching autopilot? Make it so they don't have to watch as attentively, and less tokens are used.

Windowed mode will also make it so that it's easier to pay attention. With alt+tabbed, you don't hear the sound of shooting or explosions.. with windowed, you do. (Although you're hugged either way if you autopilot into a c-mine area)