[IDEA] Ship Collisions

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

paxTeklord

[IDEA] Ship Collisions

Post by paxTeklord » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:16 pm

Why is it that our ships can fly through other ships? It seems to me that bumping in to another ship should lower our shields a bit. Or if we intentionally ram one, some type of random damage happens, such as an engine pod falling off.

The amount of damage could be calculated by who has the most shields left. And to fix the damage, you have to visit a port, which means a new 'fix ship' option in the marketplace.

This idea makes the game more realistic and could be quite entertaining for those of us with a twisted sense of humor. :twisted:

JustiNKN

Post by JustiNKN » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:02 pm

It is space we do not fly through them we go under and over.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:01 am

paxTeklord

Post by paxTeklord » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:48 am

JustiNKN wrote:It is space we do not fly through them we go under and over.
In real 3D space that is true but SGE is 2D space.

For example, mines around the outside of the planet can't be avoided because we do not have access to entering the planet from another direction (under or over). Same with lasers in space and npc's, they fire right at a ship.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:04 am

name the non pax perma you wish to get hurt on.

JustiNKN

Post by JustiNKN » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:17 am

paxTeklord wrote:

For example, mines around the outside of the planet can't be avoided because we do not have access to entering the planet from another direction (under or over). Same with lasers in space and npc's, they fire right at a ship.

Ahh yes but the general idea of the game is to be 3D in a 2D world. I get where yah comming from and I am sure our lovely cat is buying more coffie beans for caffcoder to mak it fully 3d but that is some MULAH!

BLADE2

Post by BLADE2 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:17 pm

Yeeks! The guys asks a simple question about why somethings in a 2D world act as if they are 3D, and the flame game begins. Calm down. I think it'd be interesting if our ships collided while playing, maybe even accumulate damage when they collide. Just a thought.

Paradox_moth

Post by Paradox_moth » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:56 pm

well this idea would be great if there werent so many people playing this game, because any large group of people would be diong damage to each other accidently and that would reate a problem. plus if they did that thats some complex coding, plus they would have to test and retest everything over and over for forever and we wouldnt be seeing that update or any others for awhile. plus this would mean noobs would start making massive walls of players to block experinced people and unfairly own him.

toast

Post by toast » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:05 pm

imagine the lag you would get when you bounced :shock:

Otherwise, its interesting. I dont think it should happen, but it isnt a horrible idea either.

BLADE2

Post by BLADE2 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:15 pm

First off, they don't test their patches anyways, I think anyone who has played the game long enough, knows that. And it would seem reasonable that you wouldn't collide with corpmates and contractors.

propwash

Post by propwash » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:18 am

ok, ill show my noobness a bit... i got for what ship it is that has a "repulsor beam" that just pushes other ships away from it, but what would be your thoughts of "bumping" into another ship and it just shoves your opponent away from you causeing 1 shield damage to both players. Players in the same corp will not take damage, as you can not harm your corp mates... and the same for contractors. you can shoot your Gravitron beam at your corp mates and contractors and not harm them.... so why not just bump them out of your way??? ...... would make for 1 hell of a "space bumper ships" (bumper cars) game.. lol

milo

Post by milo » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:20 am

because it makes things simpler and much more fun.

ComradeKev

Post by ComradeKev » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:31 pm

Actually, much of the code for it already exists. You currently bump off of walls and lasers on planets.

Smeagol...

Post by Smeagol... » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:56 pm

I declare this suggestion KiTarded......

Realism isn't conducive with SGE and fun.....i.e. resource hauling

milo

Post by milo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:13 pm

well why don't we make planets proportional to the ships by making them thousands of times larger than they are now

Armor

Post by Armor » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:09 pm

milo wrote:well why don't we make planets proportional to the ships by making them thousands of times larger than they are now
That'd be nice...

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:35 pm

The ships and planets are to scale. The ships = same size as planets. duh.

Armor

Post by Armor » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:21 pm

McGrod wrote:The ships and planets are to scale. The ships = same size as planets. duh.
That's not at all what "to scale" means...

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:47 am

personally i agree with both sides, i would love when i am bored to play bumber car with a friend who isn't corped or cs. and it would get plp to watch more where they are going but at the same time i can see how it could be annoying. but to me it doesn't make sense that we hit mines and such but not ships.

i guess my vote is inbetween -\

Armor

Post by Armor » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:41 am

A discrepancy that I noticed that is along similar lines is that the solar cannon shots can pass over the "walls" of a planet, but we cannot, yet the solar cannon can still hit us. If the solar cannon shots are above the "walls" - as they must be to pass over - and we are below the "walls" - as we must be if we cannot - then doesn't it stand to reason that the solar cannon shots would fly over our heads harmlessly? And another thing... we're flying freakin' space ships, shouldn't we be able to fly over top of the mountains or rocks or whatever that constitute said "walls"? And yes I'm aware all that is necessary to give invading any... gameplay to it, just tends to poke at me.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:09 am

Im well aware of what to scale means. name the perma and I may hop into it and hurt you.

feenix

Post by feenix » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:33 pm

Armor wrote:A discrepancy that I noticed that is along similar lines is that the solar cannon shots can pass over the "walls" of a planet, but we cannot, yet the solar cannon can still hit us. If the solar cannon shots are above the "walls" - as they must be to pass over - and we are below the "walls" - as we must be if we cannot - then doesn't it stand to reason that the solar cannon shots would fly over our heads harmlessly? And another thing... we're flying freakin' space ships, shouldn't we be able to fly over top of the mountains or rocks or whatever that constitute said "walls"? And yes I'm aware all that is necessary to give invading any... gameplay to it, just tends to poke at me.
as much as i agree, one could argue that the solar shots have phasing cloacking technology (sorry for typo), hence why it flys through the walls lol. a lot of things doesn't make sense in the realism aspect of game but like you said "I'm aware all that is necessary to give invading any... gameplay to it" which is so true lol

milo

Post by milo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:29 pm

hmm why can't my stupid isc fit 25k followers

feenix

Post by feenix » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:16 am

milo wrote:
hmm why can't my stupid isc fit 25k followers
lol toonces decided that all the colonist had to be overweight plp, hence why the ships are limited lol

propwash

Post by propwash » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:47 pm

solar cannons hitting ships over the walls. If anyone has ever seen a picture of the Grand Canyon, think of planets as a perverbial Grand Canyon you bouncing off the walls.... and the solar cannon is 40,000 feet high.... it shoots over the walls and down into the canyons where you are.. BANG! you get hit.

Why cant we fly over the walls of the "canyons"?? well, gas giants have a higher gravity than normal planets, but yet, normal planets have a high enough gravity to where you can not fly over the walls. that is why you have to "BLAST OFF" off the planet; you ultimtaely take off like a space shuttle to space, just you dont get to see that in the game.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:02 am

makes such non-perfect sense if u r smoking waffles...

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:19 pm

Armor wrote:A discrepancy that I noticed that is along similar lines is that the solar cannon shots can pass over the "walls" of a planet, but we cannot, yet the solar cannon can still hit us. If the solar cannon shots are above the "walls" - as they must be to pass over - and we are below the "walls" - as we must be if we cannot - then doesn't it stand to reason that the solar cannon shots would fly over our heads harmlessly? And another thing... we're flying freakin' space ships, shouldn't we be able to fly over top of the mountains or rocks or whatever that constitute said "walls"? And yes I'm aware all that is necessary to give invading any... gameplay to it, just tends to poke at me.
well, consider the solar fire right abover the wall and teh ship right below. do you think that when the shot goes overhead it isnt gonna scorch the ship? consider placing a flamming gasoline soaked blanket the same size as you a few feet above you as you say ly in bed. that may just singe you, but on a much larger scale with a dif type of fire, thats gonna do some damage. as to why they blow up instead of continuing their travels, thats what is off.

chronas

Post by chronas » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:27 am

paxTeklord wrote:

Great idea and i think it would be fun. One thing you forgot about is that when a bunch of red Npc's ar attacking you and firing their weapons is that they would also be bumpin you and you would be suffering more damage then just their weapons.

BLADE2

Post by BLADE2 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:40 pm

Bumping into NPCs and still losing shields? Sounds realistic.