Death on d/c

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Armor

Death on d/c

Post by Armor » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:01 pm

Seems to me, of all the nagging issues with the game, this is what upsets people the most. It's terribly annoying (not to mention awfully unfair) when you're invading quite successfully and then you disconnect on the col - and get screwed - especially when, as I was this afternoon, you're invading in an ISC and have deep negative rep and thus can't buy another. Why not, instead of dying, you simply get ejected off the planet? Can't imagine this being very hard to alter and would alleviate so much stress.

BlackNova

Post by BlackNova » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:48 pm

Can be abused in tight situations, thats why toonces implemented the kill function when he realised it a while back.

I cant see a way around this problem other than damage continuing from solar and laser when you dc - so you still have a chance to survive...

Nova

Catfish

Re: Death on d/c

Post by Catfish » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Armor wrote:Seems to me, of all the nagging issues with the game, this is what upsets people the most. It's terribly annoying (not to mention awfully unfair) when you're invading quite successfully and then you disconnect on the col - and get screwed - especially when, as I was this afternoon, you're invading in an ISC and have deep negative rep and thus can't buy another. Why not, instead of dying, you simply get ejected off the planet? Can't imagine this being very hard to alter and would alleviate so much stress.
noo no no, just let it do the damage it normally would instead of auto dying on junkers

Armor

Post by Armor » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:54 pm

Thought of both these things. I suppose the continuing-damage would be better than nothing.

BLADE2

Post by BLADE2 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:52 pm

the problem occurs when someone slides past the lasers at the landing zone, but not very successfully. They are screwed with 1500 shields left and no chance of getting out alive. So, you unplug your network cable, get a d/c, and get ejected to space. Plug it back in, log back on, and free to reshield and try again.

See, easily abusive.

Caia

Post by Caia » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:02 am

They could, however, give people a "free disconnect" say once a week. If the game does crash, then they'd be ejected into space. But if it happens more than once a week then they would suffer the same fate as now.

Yes, people would basically be able to cheat once a week. But this would help to get rid of some of the malcontent that's generated when people crash and lose a lot of stuff.

Armor

Post by Armor » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:10 am

Caia wrote:They could, however, give people a "free disconnect" say once a week. If the game does crash, then they'd be ejected into space. But if it happens more than once a week then they would suffer the same fate as now.

Yes, people would basically be able to cheat once a week. But this would help to get rid of some of the malcontent that's generated when people crash and lose a lot of stuff.
Good thinking, that. Imagine that would be comparatively challenging to implement... though I haven't an educated idea on that matter.

captainjf

Post by captainjf » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:40 am

what about instead of taking damage or being ejected, you just stay on the col but you dont take any damage from the lasers or solar. this way, no one would d/c die, people cant cheat, and if they tryed to do so, when they logged back in, they would still get blown up. :D

Elemayo

Post by Elemayo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:11 am

This is exploitable as well.

You get into a tight situation, you log out, log into another server, and have a buddy finish invading the planet you were on. All he has to do is let you know when you can come back.

Grimoire

Post by Grimoire » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:23 am

They should just hire someone to fix the lag probelms that arn't on our side. This is the only game on the internet that lags people out and disconnects them I swear. Figure it out PTT!

Caia

Post by Caia » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:00 am

Armor wrote:
Caia wrote:They could, however, give people a "free disconnect" say once a week. If the game does crash, then they'd be ejected into space. But if it happens more than once a week then they would suffer the same fate as now.

Good thinking, that. Imagine that would be comparatively challenging to implement... though I haven't an educated idea on that matter.
Shouldn't be terribly difficult to do. When someone lags out, the server marks the date and time. If they lag out again and the last lag out was LESS than a week ago, they get booted to space. If its more than a week, then they get blown up. the game would have to keep track of a single extra variable. This shouldn't be terribly complex at all.

Armor

Post by Armor » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:05 pm

captainjf wrote:what about instead of taking damage or being ejected, you just stay on the col but you dont take any damage from the lasers or solar. this way, no one would d/c die, people cant cheat, and if they tryed to do so, when they logged back in, they would still get blown up. :D
Rather thought this was a nice compromise until reading Elemayo's (sorry if I misspelled it) post. See, it's clever people like you that make everything more complicated for the rest of us. lol

I suppose one would have to consider what the real chances were of someone going through all that trouble over some 1's and 0's... I know that if I die through my own hug up I'm rather upset but I wouldn't go through those hoops to avoid it... I suppose I am just naive and have too much misplaced trust in my fellow humans.

If people were known to follow the honor system, I imagine they could be trusted to die through a fault of their own it if it meant avoiding dying through a fault of electrons, but, again, misplaced trust.

captainjf

Post by captainjf » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:23 am

but you would have to actually have to hit the logg out button and that unless ofcourse you were in a far corner of a planet. but if lets say your on a ring and you panic and try to log out, you would probably be dead by the time you hit the log out button, (about 3-5 sec to die on a good ring) but i do realize that almost anything that is done (or not done) people will hate, i was just thinking about this and this came to mind, but if its not a good idea, im fine without it being one.
:D just stating my mind

propwash

Post by propwash » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:33 pm

Caia wrote:
Shouldn't be terribly difficult to do. When someone lags out, the server marks the date and time. If they lag out again and the last lag out was LESS than a week ago, they get booted to space. If its more than a week, then they get blown up. the game would have to keep track of a single extra variable. This shouldn't be terribly complex at all.
the only problem that i see with the 1 extra variable.. is if you have 1000 sleepers on a perma, or server or whatever, then it has to store 1000 extra variables .. 1 for each person. when was the last time, X was disconnected, or J, or W, or etc etc etc etc???? this would almost kill a server in storage space to remember where EVERY player is/was, and to remember to put them back at that spot if they d/c'd

Hear_Me_Out

omg

Post by Hear_Me_Out » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:31 pm

Happened to me when I had igs was right infront of dome with 100% energy then paused and game shut down was happening to others too

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:18 pm

The only problem with this is, I don't think the game records the x,y coordinates of your ship on the map when you log out or disconnect from the server.

awmalzo

Post by awmalzo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:21 pm

even if your 4 hops away from sol, and you d/c on a col, you finish in a pod in sol with 500 fuel less, and that sucks lol :cry: :x

Armor

Post by Armor » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:27 pm

Yes, between your ship which, depending upon the circumstances, might be rather valuable (IGS) or irreplaceable (ISC with negative rep), that massive chunk of fuel, and the exp, rep, and money loss, it's a rather harsh penalty for something that is out of your control.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:31 am

I think DCing is completely retarded lol, consider the following:

You have a ICS with -400k rep and 650k exp and you land on a ring and then right above chat it says, lost connection from server; you know you have died. now you have you find -405mil to get it back or invade a neg rep person, Anyway my point is that this is simply stupid.

Why can't toonces make it to where When you DC on a colony it will read the ping and see if it was a deliberate DC or a lag DC, then if it was diliberate you die, if it is not then you teleport out of colony with whatever sheilds you have and sit in space for you to log back on.

(Oh and by the way Hi Armor :wink:)

Caia

Post by Caia » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:23 am

the only problem that i see with the 1 extra variable.. is if you have 1000 sleepers on a perma, or server or whatever, then it has to store 1000 extra variables .. 1 for each person. when was the last time, X was disconnected, or J, or W, or etc etc etc etc???? this would almost kill a server in storage space to remember where EVERY player is/was, and to remember to put them back at that spot if they d/c'd
True, to a point. You're right insofar as it would be an extra variable PER PERSON. But the game keeps track of all sorts of variables per person all the time. Cash, shields, what system they're in, what the corp name is, planets owned, rep, exp, cash, etc etc etc. I highly highly HIGHLY doubt that adding an extra variable is going to be the end of Starport.

The game is surprisingly stable for what it is. And that's not meant to be an backhand compliment. A lot of one man made games are terribly terribly buggy and crash all the time. (And I realize there are other programmers with Toonces, but for such a small group, they've made a very stable game in comparison to other games like it.)

I've done enough programming stuff to know that adding an extra variable, while it does add slight overhead, won't crash anything if done properly. Its very possible to do, and I hope Toonces and team look into it (or an option like it).

-notorious-

Post by -notorious- » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:44 pm

Armor wrote:Seems to me, of all the nagging issues with the game, this is what upsets people the most. It's terribly annoying (not to mention awfully unfair) when you're invading quite successfully and then you disconnect on the col - and get screwed - especially when, as I was this afternoon, you're invading in an ISC and have deep negative rep and thus can't buy another. Why not, instead of dying, you simply get ejected off the planet? Can't imagine this being very hard to alter and would alleviate so much stress.
yeah this does suck. there's got to be a way to be reimbursed when this happens , cuz it happens to me a lot and its usualy never my fault. alot of times i get the "sge has encountered and error and needs to close" send/dont send message.

:(

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:57 am

i run windows vista on my toshiba laptop and constantly get "starport.exe has stopped working" messages and then another message at the bottom right pops up and says "display driver has recovered from a serious error".

when i come back i usually have 70 or so packet loss and have to wait for 30 minutes to play again. i think this gives me ample experience to speak to this issue of dc's and deaths to dc's.

i fully agree that dying dc deaths (including when you have huge space battles with 20 on 20 action not just from planets) is pretty shitty, the alternatives do not look much better. as elemayo pointed out, there was a massively abused invincibility/easy cap bug exploit problem with the old system. it really needed to be changed from what it was, even if the way it is now imposes limitations and absurdities from time to time.

u guys obviously weren't here when we were NOT being disconnected and thus dying 13+ times in one land instead of just one. (losing not only money but also fuel for being sent to sol every time after the first)

paxTeklord

Post by paxTeklord » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:04 pm

BlackNova wrote:Can be abused in tight situations, thats why toonces implemented the kill function when he realised it a while back.

I cant see a way around this problem other than damage continuing from solar and laser when you dc - so you still have a chance to survive...

Nova
I had a totally different problem a few months back when I was playing on one of those short Pax games.

I was doing an invade of an IGP when the server died and, obviously, I was d/c. The server itself was off-line for about 30 minutes, so by the time I could reconnect, I ended up in the news and flying that itsy bitsy little round thing.

I never expected a server crash so was very surprised (to put it mildly) and was a bit confused on how I was killed if the server was not even there.

JustiNKN

Post by JustiNKN » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:02 pm

I used to slide everythign get suck log and go to space :)

Angelforher

Post by Angelforher » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:06 pm

well depending on the connection (as im tethered from my Blackberry curve) there are variables you cant control. Say im in the middle of invading and get a call from my dad or someone i cant really control that it auto kills my connection due to the service being switched to phone from internet. in the last three days ive D/c-ed 8 times with this and died 5 times out of that Thankfully i didnt lose exp or ship since i was under protect sicne i had to recreate myself after losing my internet in april. s othis is just a variable ot consider