[Idea] Fuel and Time and the chore of system maintaince.

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

PsyRamius

[Idea] Fuel and Time and the chore of system maintaince.

Post by PsyRamius » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:08 pm

Fuel and Time, why I think so few players a builders, and one suggestion that could help change that. I read back as far as I cared (several months), and didn't see this in previous suggestions, sorry if this is a duplicate.

I am a new player, and playing in one of the first extended re-bangs. I am trying to figure out if this game is worth my time in the long run, and so far it is falling short, in one very important area. My time is valuable, and I don’t like wasting it on drudgery.

Last weekend I spent about 3 hours of my time, and 500ish fuel, hauling crap from planet to planet to facilitate building. The vast majority of this has been done in a single system, thus the fuel conservation. It has not been fun, it has not been what I would call a ‘good’ part of the game, it has been a time sucking drag. If this is what building is like, no wonder people put more effort into invading.

Here is how it goes, for those who don't know or haven't counted.
Check your holdings and identify a planet that needs resources. Planet (A)
Check to see if there is a planet with excess of that resource. Planet (B)
Check to see if planet (A) that needs resources has an excess of resources planet (B) needs.
Up until this point you have only done research and not used flying time, here is where the "fun" starts.
  • Travel to and land on Planet (A) (1 Click for auto pilot one key press or manual maneuver)
    Select travel into dome (Sometimes two clicks)
    Select Refinery (1 click)
    Select desired resource (1 Click)
    Select max (1 Click)
    Select Pickup (1 Click)
    select leave planet (1 Click)
    Travel to and land on Planet (B) (1 Click for auto pilot one key press or manual maneuver)
    Select travel into dome (Sometimes two clicks)
    Select Refinery (1 Click)
    Select drop all (1 Click)
    Select desired resource (1 Click)
    Select max (1 Click)
    Select Pickup (1 Click)
    select leave planet (1 Click)
Total clicks per round trip 19, plus time to travel, plus if the layout is bad for auto pilot, you have to manually maneuver, plus the lag between screens transitions and selections. With a corporate flagship at 200 holds it takes 5 of these trips to haul 1k of anything.

From my math, and it could be wrong, every 65 colonists eats one of Anaerobes, Organics, Oil, and Medicine every hour. Based on that, for a planet like a volcano, which never produces enough regardless of the settings, with a population capped bio 2 at 5000 cols, you are looking at a worst case of 77 of each per hour, or 308 holds per hour, just to maintain the planet. For a day, that would be roughly 7400 holds, or 37 trips or 703 clicks. Assuming even a generously minimal 30 seconds per trip, that is roughly 20 minutes of real time, just to maintain a practically worthless planet, and for that matter, play a game more like it is work. Oh, and the fuel cost, only 74. Less than a hundred.

Ok, so now that I have experienced this joy multiple times and done some math, I have put on my thinking cap to see if there is some way to take this horrific drudgery out of the game, without upsetting balance. I therefore put forward the following.

Proposal:
A new construction be available called something similar to the “intersystem shipping port”. This building will facilitate the transfer for material, from one bio dome to another, within a given system, without the need to shuttle those goods manually. This building is available to all planets.

To shuttle goods, you simply select the planet you wish to trade with, use the transfer sliders, and poof, the exchange is made. Both planets need to have this building for the trade to work, and the movement capacity is based on the lowest planets upgrade level. Any amount of goods or colonists can be transferred this way, just the same as if you had done it manually.

Now to keep it balanced, the following would have to be part of how it works.
  • For every X number of holds transferred you need to spend 1 fuel to make the transfer.
    The value of X will be based on the number of upgrades to the building. 50 holds for level 1, 100 for level 2 and 150 for level 3.
None of these exceed the capacity of the Dream Sewer, Corporate flag ship, or any other big hauler, so I don’t think it would be unbalancing.
It could be simplified to just one level of 150 holds, but the idea is the same. This makes the for fuel cost the same or more for these transfers as it is for manual shipping, the only thing removed is the time drudgery.

[Hint] My time is valuable to me, I would pay in emperor tokens to be able to build these things.

Another alternative would be to have only one level of this building, that ships goods based on the current best rate for the players ship. So if you are in a 200 hold Corporate flagship, its one fuel for 200 holds hauled.

With these changes at 150 holds per fuel, the 20 minutes, 703 clicks, and 74 fuel would turn into 1-2 minutes, less than 10 clicks, and 100 fuel. A system could be optimized for days worth of production in less than half a hour, leaving the player real time to deal with the fun parts of the game, like invading.

Some benefits would be that certain planet types, that are currently non-viable (such as the volcano) become more viable for the specific purpose they were intended, such as weapons manufacture. By enabling systems to be managed more quickly as a whole, players will be better able utilize the benefits of all planet types, and not just stick to the better ones, simply because maintaining some planets is too much effort.

Additionally, planets that can not support strong solar cannon defenses, would be easier to prop up with metal supply from planets that can. Any planet you invade could be a 10 shot, simply because overstocking is simplified.

I’m sure you can all see, just how much real time this would save players from just having to do trivial maintenance tasks on planets. As I understand it, fuel is supposed to help balance players who have unlimited time to fuss around with the game, from those who can’t. This would simply be an extension of that philosophy.

toast

Post by toast » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:13 pm

There are a bunch of suggestions about using npcs to move cargo, at a cost of warpfuel. I dont remember if toonces liked it or not..i kinda think he did though.??.

And i would say that you are right, that is why many people dont build. i only build certain planets, and only if i have all the resources in system.

And dont try to maintain volcanics...either let them stabilize at wat ev or just dont build them in the first place.

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:34 pm

Poor baby.....
I guess your right, SGE isnt good enough for you
If you dont have time to spend like everyone else, dont play :P

PsyRamius

Post by PsyRamius » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:37 pm

Catfish, your sad.

Found something about the game that would keep me from playing/paying. CHECK

Reviewed old suggestion posts to see if something similar was already suggested so I wouldn't rehash old ground too much. CHECK

Posted a logically laid out, grammatically correct (mostly) suggestion that attempted to solve a situation that would keep me, and probably others from paying money for this game. CHECK

Received totally pointless, mindless, and poorly thought out insult to gratify the ego of a 12 year old basement troll who thinks his ability to preform repetitive, mindless tasks makes him someone special. CHECK.

Oh, and as to your assumption that I don't have time to play, that is wrong. I have plenty of time to play games. What I don't have is time to play games who's mechanics seem to me to be simply wasting my time, rather than challenging or entertaining me in some way.

Please explain how the above cargo hauling routine is either challenging, or entertaining.

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:45 pm

This idea has been brought up in different forms from time to time. Your spin on it is interesting and as a buidler type player myself, anything that would speed up the process to relieve some of the repetition would be awesome.

Don't let the occasional stupid remake stiffle your creativity, its player ideas that will drive development and make a great game even better!
Last edited by Paneak on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:52 pm

Good post, Psy.

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:02 pm

PsyRamius wrote:Catfish, your sad.
gasp!
PsyRamius wrote:Found something about the game that would keep me from playing/paying. CHECK

Reviewed old suggestion posts to see if something similar was already suggested so I wouldn't rehash old ground too much. CHECK
uncheck, ideas similar to this have sugested many times
PsyRamius wrote:Posted a logically laid out, grammatically correct (mostly) suggestion that attempted to solve a situation that would keep me, and probably others from paying money for this game. CHECK
you did a great job at laying out the idea, i just dont agree with it.
its keeping you from playing? well its not keeping the rest of us from playing... hmm
PsyRamius wrote:Received totally pointless, mindless, and poorly thought out insult to gratify the ego of a 12 year old basement troll who thinks his ability to preform repetitive, mindless tasks makes him someone special. CHECK.
rofl your a defencive one arent you?
PsyRamius wrote:Oh, and as to your assumption that I don't have time to play, that is wrong. I have plenty of time to play games. What I don't have is time to play games who's mechanics seem to me to be simply wasting my time, rather than challenging or entertaining me in some way.
and there lies the distinction between invading fighting and building. you dont have 2 build if u dont want to, just invade. the rest of use have a surplus of cols so we dont spaz over every little detail about them, aslong as theyre providin benefits im fine with them. if your planets are easily invaded then you have sucky layouts.
PsyRamius wrote:Please explain how the above cargo hauling routine is either challenging, or entertaining.
you arent willing to actually provide effort to net gain from the game? are you too used to games where you barely have to do anything and then net a reward from it? the fact that you have 2 earn rewards on sge is somthing that makes it unique.
Last edited by Cheesy on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:04 pm

Great post, Psy

This is I think the number one issue that needs to addressed. Toonces himself did say he wanted to make colony maintenance less mind numbing (picture courtesy Zavrith, from Nov last year):

I was really excited to see Toonces say this and I'm still waiting for him follow up

PsyRamius

Post by PsyRamius » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:09 pm

you did a great job at laying out the idea, i just dont agree with it.
its keeping you from playing? well its not keeping the rest of us from playing
Counter-projection

When addressing psychological trauma the defense mechanism is sometimes counter-projection, including an obsession to continue and remain in a recurring trauma-causing situation and the compulsive obsession with the perceived perpetrator of the trauma or its projection.

From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:50 pm

I hate the fact that I understood 100% of that.

Meliza

Elemayo

Post by Elemayo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:16 am

PsyRamius, I'd like to thank you for posting intelligent and well thought out ideas. Really, I read yours because I know its not going to waste my time. It's nice to have people like you around.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:26 am

Good post psy. flaming is an unfortunate reality of internet forums. Mods: please do feel free to delete/warn posts like Catfish's above.

I'm still working on a solution to this, but it will probably involved drone ships of some sort or npcs.

i think one thing you don't realize, like a lot of people who complain about colony maintainence, is that your not supposed to provide a colony with EVERYTHING they need, in fact if you have all 4 of the resources they need its supposed to be a very special bonus.

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:03 am

Toonces wrote:Good post psy. flaming is an unfortunate reality of internet forums. Mods: please do feel free to delete/warn posts like Catfish's above.

I'm still working on a solution to this, but it will probably involved drone ships of some sort or npcs.

i think one thing you don't realize, like a lot of people who complain about colony maintainence, is that your not supposed to provide a colony with EVERYTHING they need, in fact if you have all 4 of the resources they need its supposed to be a very special bonus.

:? i got a special notice...

Just saying, no one was concerned about how hard the game is on newbs when we were new... shouldnt be any different for them.

Etho

Post by Etho » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:17 am

Toonces: "if you have all 4 of the resources they need its supposed to be a very special bonus"
I think if you do the math, it doesn't matter what kind of colony it is, having all 4 resources produced in an excess will eventually cause any colony to reach -1500 morale. That's hardly a special bonus.

Currently, the ideal is to have a colony produce 3 of the resources: Med, Oil, and either Org or Ana. This allows a colony to get big but it won't kill itself like having both Org and Ana does.

PsyRamius

Post by PsyRamius » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:38 am

PsyRamius, I'd like to thank you for posting intelligent and well thought out ideas. Really, I read yours because I know its not going to waste my time. It's nice to have people like you around.
Good post psy.
Thank you
Ahh, heading in the direction of slave ships, similar to Star Sonata perhaps? (Played it, got frustrated with stagnation, gave it up.) You open that can of worms and suddenly people will want to turn this into a type of RTS with fleets of ships under their direct control, with orders like attack target etc.

It was hopping that this could "simulate" the shipment of cargo, without needing to code moving NPC's and the other ancillary requirements of selecting cargo, dropping cargo, etc, and therefore limiting the requirements to build slave AI.

Further enhancements to my suggestion, such as putting the movement into a Que and not immediately transferring resources but moving them over time, blocking the transfer if there are hostile ships in the system, etc, would further give the illusion that ships were in fact taking the goods to and from, without them needing to be physically present.

This level of illusion already exists somewhat with the ports. (Who brings their stock, who buys what we sell them, why do they need more, where do they get the stock we buy,etc?)

I was hopping that by making it similar to some things that already exist, (Commodity market, Atom Smasher), that it would be something that could be implemented without the need for massive amounts of AI programming. (Read sooner rather than later)

Of course, you have to decide on the trade of between expediency and the final solution you want, if my assumptions about difficulty are correct.

toast

Post by toast » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:35 am

Etho is right...currently 4 resources is fairly unpleasant. And i have noticed that 3 isnt much better, becuase they have a nasty habit of balancing out at like 20..so it never stablizes.

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:39 pm

i think it should just cost you some warp fuel for every npc you hire, and they can only help cols with the "ship port" built. it could cost like 5 warp/day for every ship in your fleet, they cant fight, and they are smart enough to go find an abundance of resources on your other cols, and bring them to cols that need them (and have "ship port-thing")

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:12 pm

after thinking about this idea for awhile im not as against it as i was before. but risk and time should still be in play.

My idea is to build a delivery service type building. I'm not sure on the name but basically you enter it, you hired an npc thats in a ship that u choose (better ship, higher price) then you put in the resource(s) you need moving and how many. Then from what colony/to what colony depending on whether your at the col that needs the reasources or at the col that has em.

Then an npc with the name Cheesy Trader is created. the npc can be attacked aswell by other players and when its destroyed you get the same effects as in an escourtee dieing.

You also pay for all the fuel that npc uses plus 20 fuel, another reason to choose carfully when picking ships. this way its not really instant and theres still the risk facor.

toast

Post by toast » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:48 pm

yeah the warp tax needs to be higher. i dont know if it needs to be exactly what the npc needs, but a 10k pop volc is way to unbalanced if you get it for 5 fuel per day.

wingshooter

Re: [Idea] Fuel and Time and the chore of system maintaince.

Post by wingshooter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:18 pm

I think it may be time for this to be revisited. To reiterate the original problem moving resources between colonies is "mind-numbing" and tedious.
Psi came up with a reasonable approach which would consist of nothing more than transferring numbers between colonies (easier to code than NPC AI).
Toonces was quoted as saying he'd rather use an NPC driven system for moving resources. That would be reasonable if asteroid belts were not a factor and all parties involved in development had time to code the immense AI needed to navigate, land, and distribute said resources to their proper destination. Advantages would include being able to shoot down, or even hijack enemy charters (haha enemy corp, thx for the spice/colonists/nukes w/e)
A direct wire transfer would be much easier to implement from a coding standpoint, would keep your enemies from intercepting your cargo and save brain cells (or kill less depending on your choice of personal fuel during gaming). Also, some have but 15-20 min to spend on the game at times but cols still need upkeep.
So what exactly are my goals?
1. Find a way to move resources in a more efficient and less tedious manner.
2. Facilitate building to lessen stagnation and make rebangs more fun by encouraging folks to build so others may have something to invade (instead of hunting UN and <2500 ton cols).
3. Toonces will like this: Encourage the purchase of tokens for WF.
How to do it? (i am going to use aspects of many previous ideas)
A. A new building (or maybe an addition to Ref 2or3) to facilitate the movement of resources (important note: ONLY RESOURCES MAY BE MOVED. NOTHING OUT OF THE WEAPON FACTORY)
B. Number of Resources and cost:
Resource (res) movement would be limited by amount of WF you are willing to spend. The WF/res ratio would need to be defined by a distance parameter and tax rate. 0 hops = 1 WF to land on desired col and drop res. tax rate (to be defined by developers and maybe a discount based on distance (-.002% per 5 hops?)) = 2.5% of amount of res being moved (200 units in same sys= 5 WF tax )+number of hops away(0 in this instance)+1 WF (landing cost)+1 WF (100% landing tax (although no ship is actually landing))
So,
0 hops = (r*.025) [ammount of WF tax per unit] +(0) [distance tax]+(1)[landing cost]+(1)[100% landing tax]= ((200*.025)+0)+1+1= 5+0+1+1= 7 WF per 200 per planet.
10 hops = (r*(.025-(.002+((h/5)/1000)))) this takes care of WF movement tax and distance tax [(h/5)/1000= discount multiplier] we'll call this expression M.
M+10+2=16.2 WF
normal cost would be 11 WF to travel and land + time taken to move.
5.2 WF seems reasonable as a tax. those of you who are math whizzes can probably simplify this to round up to the nearest 5 hops (so 6,7,8,9 would cost the same as 10) to increse fuel usage for the convenience, or perhaps do it straight up so 6, 7, 8, 9 etc. all cost exactly what they would cost according to the equation. All that can be discussed by community and developers.
Note to Toonces: This idea would satisfy both your need to make money to pay operating costs (people would need to buy more tokens, both builders and invaders.
It would also satisfy the wants of the players (at least in respect to this aspect of colony management) in that builders could use their time more wisely to build new stronger colonies and invaders would have new challenges as colonies and empires would be stronger.
I'm sure there will be the requisite "This is a terrible idea, it will make some empires unstoppable" or some such, or perhaps "Beat it noob how would you know you BBQ from a hole in the ground, this is your first post!" or some other nonsense, but i say give this an open thought. It has been asked for many times, but never implemented even though Toonces said he was looking for a change to colony management.

Perhaps it is even time for a vote, but i'll wait for input from other more experienced players, and the staff pf PTT.

Thanks for reading
Wing.

akito

Post by akito » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:41 am

TOONCES!
drone ships to transport resources are cool as heck, but there is some potentially simpler stuff you can do right now to alleviate alot of these problems.
also, its not just the refinery, but the entirety of the user interface that is burdened by these redundant "extra clicks".

"pick up" / "max" / "pick up"

no one really picks up less than max do they? what if we instead clicked directly on any selected resource to pick up the max amount of it? this would DRASTICALLY reduce the amount of clicks required, as well as the time spent going back and forth a full screen's distance to make them.

what if planets sent us straight into the refinery with the last resource we selected STILL selected, rather than reverting to metal ore each time?

although this is more complicated, i think such a "memory" of what we did last on colonies we repeatedly land on would also reduce clicks astronomically. have i been moving metal from planet A in exchange for oil from planet B? have them send me straight to the refinery when i land, with the last resource i messed with highlighted. have i been moving lasers to the surface of planet C from its weapon factory? have it send me straight into the weapons factory with lasers selected when i enter dome. this would remove the need to clickthe specific building we wanted to enter and the clicking of the specific hardware or resource we wanted to pick up.

"memory" would most likely need to be server side and single session only (lost when logging out) to avoid the botting, hacking, or trading of memory files between corpmates. having a check box to disable it in the options menu would also be neccesary. not only in case anyone doesn't like being sent directly to the last building they entered, but also in case checking/storing memory caused performance issues or lag on some users with bad connections and shitty laptops (me, haha).

trading things between players is "bulky" and NON user friendly!

when hailing things to players in other ships, my max is not always their max. like an igs handing off resources to a sethdar, or a barge hailing nukes to an isc. to correct this, the default amount of hardware hailed should be 8 and the "max" amount of resources or hardware hailed should be changed to mean "the max THEY can hold". no one ever trades a single hardware, unless the other person can only hold 1 more, in which case the altered "max" button would fill in this role.

surface hailing during invasions would require less clicks than before for a slight increase in speed of trade, but induce more lag during the "max they can hold check" for a slight decrease in speed of trade, so the altered mechanics should have no net effect on this tactic.

TT

Post by TT » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:09 am

akito wrote:TOONCES!
drone ships to transport resources are cool as heck, but there is some potentially simpler stuff you can do right now to alleviate alot of these problems.
also, its not just the refinery, but the entirety of the user interface that is burdened by these redundant "extra clicks".

"pick up" / "max" / "pick up"

no one really picks up less than max do they? what if we instead clicked directly on any selected resource to pick up the max amount of it? this would DRASTICALLY reduce the amount of clicks required, as well as the time spent going back and forth a full screen's distance to make them.

what if planets sent us straight into the refinery with the last resource we selected STILL selected, rather than reverting to metal ore each time?

although this is more complicated, i think such a "memory" of what we did last on colonies we repeatedly land on would also reduce clicks astronomically. have i been moving metal from planet A in exchange for oil from planet B? have them send me straight to the refinery when i land, with the last resource i messed with highlighted. have i been moving lasers to the surface of planet C from its weapon factory? have it send me straight into the weapons factory with lasers selected when i enter dome. this would remove the need to clickthe specific building we wanted to enter and the clicking of the specific hardware or resource we wanted to pick up.

"memory" would most likely need to be server side and single session only (lost when logging out) to avoid the botting, hacking, or trading of memory files between corpmates. having a check box to disable it in the options menu would also be neccesary. not only in case anyone doesn't like being sent directly to the last building they entered, but also in case checking/storing memory caused performance issues or lag on some users with bad connections and shitty laptops (me, haha).

trading things between players is "bulky" and NON user friendly!

when hailing things to players in other ships, my max is not always their max. like an igs handing off resources to a sethdar, or a barge hailing nukes to an isc. to correct this, the default amount of hardware hailed should be 8 and the "max" amount of resources or hardware hailed should be changed to mean "the max THEY can hold". no one ever trades a single hardware, unless the other person can only hold 1 more, in which case the altered "max" button would fill in this role.

surface hailing during invasions would require less clicks than before for a slight increase in speed of trade, but induce more lag during the "max they can hold check" for a slight decrease in speed of trade, so the altered mechanics should have no net effect on this tactic.
This

I mean, ever since I started playing I've been wishing for these pretty simple things.

Another idea I had was to create /commands for stuff... like
/pickupcol 200
/dropoil 200

That wouldn't be too hard to code would it? I dunno about everybody else but I would love to be able to use /commands for everything to do with colonies

Burnout

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:34 am

Yes! I would rather see building drudgery addressed before new weapons were added to the game!

For a simple band-aid, a button next to each resource in the refinery that had the effect of "pick up," "max," and "to space" in a single click would really reduce a lot of clicks, and actually I think go a pretty long way towards making it not so horrendously "mind numbing."

wingshooter

Post by wingshooter » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:49 pm

MegaMan wrote:Yes! I would rather see building drudgery addressed before new weapons were added to the game!
Not surprisingly i agree! I think the idea of an auto pickup would help the situation, but ultimately would just be a small band-aid on a gaping wound. IMHO a significant change needs to happen to encourage building again. It seems to me that there is but one main faction, invaders, with a small minority of builders who trudge through the monotony that is the current state of building.
I would like to know if others would support the idea of moving resources for a WF tax as i outlined earlier, or some other scheme.
I would like to see this put to a vote so that the developers would have some numbers to look at and be able to gauge the actual demand.
Wing.