New ship graphics

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:08 pm

Barge is perfect.

Flagship is good.

Speedstar looks a little bit like a X-wing, but I still like this better than the other design. It's good.

Whale is OK but a little puzzling. Maybe needs fins? Someone else said it should look more organic. I'm not really sure what to recommend on this one, but something doesn't quite fit.

You're good at this. Please keep adding.

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:10 pm

As you update ships you should put the latest version up above in the original posts, so people don't make off-base or confusing remarks.

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:11 pm

Wow, i like these alot, especially the latest revisions.
Looks real good, keep it up.

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:48 pm

BMF1000D wrote:As you update ships you should put the latest version up above in the original posts, so people don't make off-base or confusing remarks.
Good idea! Doing it now!

invaderzim

Post by invaderzim » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:42 pm

tyrolean falcon concept should be avenger concept. it just looks too stealthy for falcon. :? just my opinion.

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:35 pm

invaderzim wrote:tyrolean falcon concept should be avenger concept. it just looks too stealthy for falcon. :? just my opinion.
So far the vote seems spilt on that...i personally like the falcon looking sleek and fast..others have agreed with you.

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:58 pm

Catfish wrote:Wow, i like these alot, especially the latest revisions.
Looks real good, keep it up.
Hopefully Toonces will think so :)

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm

Paneak wrote:
invaderzim wrote:tyrolean falcon concept should be avenger concept. it just looks too stealthy for falcon. :? just my opinion.
So far the vote seems spilt on that...i personally like the falcon looking sleek and fast..others have agreed with you.
i agree, the avenger should be the black one

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:45 pm

Catfish wrote:
Paneak wrote:
yea the black cresent is stealthy like an avenger while the white one looks like its got equiptent on it used to cargo disrupt.

igs has 2 be purple and dreams sowers spossed 2 look liek a flower cause... well.. its the dream sower with special weapon flower power.

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:13 pm

Cheesy wrote:
Catfish wrote:
Paneak wrote: So far the vote seems spilt on that...i personally like the falcon looking sleek and fast..others have agreed with you.
yea the black cresent is stealthy like an avenger while the white one looks like its got equiptent on it used to cargo disrupt.

igs has 2 be purple and dreams sowers spossed 2 look liek a flower cause... well.. its the dream sower with special weapon flower power.
IG ship concept updated. And due to overwhelming demand Avenger/Falcon switched!

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:51 pm

yea now that looks more like a IGS!

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:57 pm

Paneak wrote:
BMF1000D wrote:As you update ships you should put the latest version up above in the original posts, so people don't make off-base or confusing remarks.
Good idea! Doing it now!
It's a bit disorienting to have the "original concept" picture stuck on there (at least for me). I was thinking just have one picture per post like you started with, but just update each one to the current image as you work on them. That's just me, though...

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:03 pm

BMF1000D wrote:
Paneak wrote:
Good idea! Doing it now!
It's a bit disorienting to have the "original concept" picture stuck on there (at least for me). I was thinking just have one picture per post like you started with, but just update each one to the current image as you work on them. That's just me, though...
yea id just shot the up 2 date ones and keep the original ideas eitehr at the bottom or saved on ur comp in case of reference

BLADE2

Post by BLADE2 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:29 am

I could be wrong, but it seems as if nearly all of your ships are derived from, either Star Trek, Star Wars, or Battlestar Galactica. I doubt toonces would want to risk copyright infringement by adding most of your ships. I'm surprised he been able to get away with the current ISC version as it is considering the likeness to Star Trek ships.

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:31 am

naa its ok, no 1 knows this game exists exept for the poor few who dug this game up from mmorgp.com :D

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:33 am

BLADE2 wrote:I could be wrong, but it seems as if nearly all of your ships are derived from, either Star Trek, Star Wars, or Battlestar Galactica. I doubt toonces would want to risk copyright infringement by adding most of your ships. I'm surprised he been able to get away with the current ISC version as it is considering the likeness to Star Trek ships.
:roll:

That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Most of our current ship graphics are based off of sci-fi tv shows or movies (isc-star trek, falcon-star wars, battleship-star wars, sethdar-possible deviation of death star). While the ones he is proposing doesn't even remotely resemble them.

The ship graphics are amazing, Paneak, its good to have a talented 3D artist on our forums. Keep up the good work.

toast

Post by toast » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:10 am

wow this just popped into my head...what did the spaceship in the movie e.t look like? wasnt it like the seth?

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:27 am

toast wrote:wow this just popped into my head...what did the spaceship in the movie e.t look like? wasnt it like the seth?
XD yep so thats where the seths from, google images

NeatLogs

Post by NeatLogs » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:40 am

Ohh, who cares if it won't make it into the game in all its high-res glory? It's concept art, right?

Hmm... I rather liked the avenger/falcon not switched. The whole point is that the avenger shouldn't scream "I'm stealthy!" because it shouldn't be screaming. I also felt that the falcon should have big wings as befits its name. :( Ah well.

This whale is definitely better, though it needs some shoulders and fins. It's amazing how fast you drew the new one after my post.

Could you, as an experiment, put sizable quad engines on the underside of your new flagship? In any case, it's much better than the original.

Battleship is now perfect!

ISC is still meh. It needs to look like a high tech version of the pentagon built into a flying, glowing batmobile firing a massive rocket or two. Right now, the thin wings make it look like it's built to avoid damage instead of tank it.

New Freighter: Hmm... Maybe. That model is strictly awesome, it's just that I don't know if it fits any of the current ships. If there was a fast ship with the name of a predatory sea creature, then that would fit. Freighters need to emphasise some cargo capacity. Your first might have been better.

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:43 am

toast wrote:wow this just popped into my head...what did the spaceship in the movie e.t look like? wasnt it like the seth?
Are youl talking about the orignal...because the model i'm using is nothing like the ship from ET, it does take some influence from a few games (wing commander mainly) but it looks nothing like the ship from ET which was a more traditional UFO (if I remember correctly).

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:49 am

NeatLogs wrote:Ohh, who cares if it won't make it into the game in all its high-res glory? It's concept art, right?

Hmm... I rather liked the avenger/falcon not switched. The whole point is that the avenger shouldn't scream "I'm stealthy!" because it shouldn't be screaming. I also felt that the falcon should have big wings as befits its name. :( Ah well.

This whale is definitely better, though it needs some shoulders and fins. It's amazing how fast you drew the new one after my post.

Could you, as an experiment, put sizable quad engines on the underside of your new flagship? In any case, it's much better than the original.

Battleship is now perfect!

ISC is still meh. It needs to look like a high tech version of the pentagon built into a flying, glowing batmobile firing a massive rocket or two. Right now, the thin wings make it look like it's built to avoid damage instead of tank it.

New Freighter: Hmm... Maybe. That model is strictly awesome, it's just that I don't know if it fits any of the current ships. If there was a fast ship with the name of a predatory sea creature, then that would fit. Freighters need to emphasise some cargo capacity. Your first might have been better.
Some of them I was already revising...and sometimes..its just not that hard :)

The ISC is proving more difficult than I thought, part or the problem is that people associate it with the Star Trek look, and I am trying to avoid that. At its core the ISC is a heavily armored, fast gunship...typcically 2 things not combined...i'll continue to tweak it...we'll see if I can make it work.

As for avenger/falcon..i agreed with you :)

And by new frieighter, are you referring to the barge?

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:52 am

Cheesy wrote:
BMF1000D wrote:
Paneak wrote: Good idea! Doing it now!
yea id just shot the up 2 date ones and keep the original ideas eitehr at the bottom or saved on ur comp in case of reference
I did that to encourge...i like the old one better discussions.

NeatLogs

Post by NeatLogs » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:54 am

I meant the new merchant freighter that has the model of the old ISC. Your manta-ray looking ship.
It's good, but there aren't any fast but slow-turning ships named manta ray. :lol: So your old industrial-looking model for the freighter is still better.

As for the ISC, I'm sure you'll find a solution. I agree with you when you talk about its heavy armour and speed though. I think the best thing would be to emphasise the "imperial" aspect of it, since that is fairly important.

I'll take anything that looks stately and also looks like it can dish out three massive sci-fi fireballs in a row with pinpoint accuracy.
I don't think the quick aspect of it needs to be shown with anything other than massive engines.

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:52 pm

Well I just really like that model and would like to see it used :)

I hope to have a new "Stately" ISC tonight...check back later!

KG

Post by KG » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:33 pm

I think most of them look great. However, I think the Vulture resembles a Klingon Bird-of-Prey rather strongly right now.

KG

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:33 am

KG wrote:I think most of them look great. However, I think the Vulture resembles a Klingon Bird-of-Prey rather strongly right now.

KG
It does...but doesn't. Bird of prey has much stronger lines...and has a much more aggressive look.

KG

Re: New ship graphics

Post by KG » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:04 pm

Toonces wrote:great pics, good work! but, our system for the ship art is proprietary and low-res
Uh, but it's stated in a sticky in the tavern:

viewtopic.php?t=4290
Toonces wrote:Changes to Starport must come through the starport patching system. If you have worked on new art such as a skin, you are welcome to submit it to us for inclusion in the game. We can add new content such as skins, they just have to come through the official patching system.
It seems a bit odd to state new art is welcome for submission, and then to say that it has to be in the unreleased proprietary format.

KG

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:14 am

I can provide them to the developers in just about any format...they can do whatever they want with them. I just really think better ship gfx would increase the appeal of the game.

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:33 pm

Well, before you do that, you have to consider how they will blend into the rest of the user interface. Right now the ship graphics that you are suggesting, although very good, do not really relate to the other graphics, such as planets and the rest of the skin. The graphics that we have now are grainy and got a worn out grimy feel to them, yours don't.

Paneak

Post by Paneak » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:42 pm

DarkLStrike wrote:Well, before you do that, you have to consider how they will blend into the rest of the user interface. Right now the ship graphics that you are suggesting, although very good, do not really relate to the other graphics, such as planets and the rest of the skin. The graphics that we have now are grainy and got a worn out grimy feel to them, yours don't.
Challenge Accepted!