[IDEA] Leaning Ships

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

BLADE2

[IDEA] Leaning Ships

Post by BLADE2 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:37 am

Since toonces has implemented changes over the years like shadowing on planets and ships based on where they are around the sun in a system, I'd like to propose a minor graphical adjustment, that in my opinion, would add another bit of realism to the game as well as a lil 3-D feel.

While controlling your ship on a planet or in space, I'd like to see the ships have the ability to lean.

Now i know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but the advantage with it is when your ship leans while you are turning, it would allow you to possibly slide past mines without setting them off on a planet.

It would add a new way for sliders to perfect their invading skills, by being able to better hug a turn.

Think of yourself standing in a hall and stretching your arms out and the tips of your fingers touch their own side of the wall. Now lean left or right. Now you've increased the space between yourself and the wall. The same principle would be used here. Your ship would lean making more distance between your ship and the walls or other defenses. Hard to explain, but i think i made my point.

Jtak

Post by Jtak » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:27 pm

/beat.the.f#$%.out.of.u.for.bad.idea?

breakdown

Post by breakdown » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:59 pm

The thing I dislike most about this idea is that I can't think of any controls to use to accomplish this that wouldn't be awkward.

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:04 pm

Just double tap R or Z to barrel roll, it's even better than leaning.

BlackNova

Post by BlackNova » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:38 pm

Just double tap R or Z to barrel roll, it's even better than leaning.
Nintendo 64 ftw XD

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:34 pm

no, it's ok my ship has a chair i don't need a leaning ship........

LMFAO!!! sorry had to lol too easy, it was begging for someone to do it
BLADE2 wrote:It would add a new way for sliders to perfect their invading skills, by being able to better hug a turn.

wait, you hug a turn? :shock: :? ............

ohhhhh, the other hug! ROFLMFAO!!!! lol i definatly have been playing too much lmao

.......*this gives me an idea lol*

SpaceToast

Post by SpaceToast » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:38 pm

i hate it plain and simple. :(

CaptKirk

Post by CaptKirk » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:30 am

To simplify your idea, you want the ships to bank while turning, like an airplane...correct?

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:59 am

CaptKirk wrote:To simplify your idea, you want the ships to bank while turning, like an airplane...correct?
I wouldn't mind for this to happen but its a little hard on the implementing side though :(.

toast

Post by toast » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:55 am

there is no atmosphere in space so a spaceship wouldnt need to bank its turn. nuff said.

BLADE2

Post by BLADE2 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:42 pm

my post was meant for planet flying , toast, never mentioned space flying, just maneuvering while invading. and what would an atmosphere have to do with anything? a plane leans to the sides while turning, #1 so the stress of the turn won't tear it apart, and #2 to reduce the G's exerted while making the turn.

toast

Post by toast » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:02 pm

oh planets only? my mistake.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:46 pm

it aounds kewl, a dchange of invasion...

CaptKirk

Post by CaptKirk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:43 am

BLADE2 wrote:my post was meant for planet flying , toast, never mentioned space flying, just maneuvering while invading. and what would an atmosphere have to do with anything? a plane leans to the sides while turning, #1 so the stress of the turn won't tear it apart, and #2 to reduce the G's exerted while making the turn.
Incorrect. An aircraft banks while turning so the lift of the wing "pulls" the aircraft in the direction desired. Turning using the surface area of the rudder only would be horribly inefficient. A side benefit is that the G's(which are increased in a turn) pull the pilot down in the seat, instead of sideways.

TheDestroyer

Post by TheDestroyer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:01 pm

Just lean effects when turning?

hydr

Post by hydr » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:35 pm

you would have to use both hands, ie one on the arrows and the other hand using different keys for leaning and such

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:11 pm

hydr wrote:you would have to use both hands, ie one on the arrows and the other hand using different keys for leaning and such
Yeah... but what keys? :P

hydr

Post by hydr » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:31 pm

well since i use f2 to nukes id probably use either ~ as left and 1 as right or 1 as left and 2 as right

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:40 pm

oh but most of the symbols, all of the numbers and letters are used for communication ;)

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:50 pm

hydr wrote:well since i use f2 to nukes id probably use either ~ as left and 1 as right or 1 as left and 2 as right
lol i use F2 for nukes 2 :D

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:44 am

MuTAnT wrote:Just double tap R or Z to barrel roll, it's even better than leaning.
my star fox score beats yours noob 8)

propwash

Post by propwash » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:16 am

CaptKirk wrote:
BLADE2 wrote:my post was meant for planet flying , toast, never mentioned space flying, just maneuvering while invading. and what would an atmosphere have to do with anything? a plane leans to the sides while turning, #1 so the stress of the turn won't tear it apart, and #2 to reduce the G's exerted while making the turn.
Incorrect. An aircraft banks while turning so the lift of the wing "pulls" the aircraft in the direction desired. Turning using the surface area of the rudder only would be horribly inefficient. A side benefit is that the G's(which are increased in a turn) pull the pilot down in the seat, instead of sideways.
Having flown Flight Simulator 2004, since it came out, and Flight Simulator X Deluxe..... actually both of you are correct. The pilot banks the plane 1. to reduce stress on the craft, 2. so that the lift from the plane flying in the ATMOSPHERE will pull the wing/plane in the desired direction, 3. to reduce the lateral G-Forces, 4. "crabbing" by using ONLY the rudder could be an inefficient use for an extended turn, but if you are using the rudder to maintian a certain heading with crosswinds, it is EXTREMELY efficient (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fjW6yK1eho )

gojira2000millenium

Post by gojira2000millenium » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:13 pm

well im for this idea. it'd be nice to see a semi large change to starport seeing as there aren't many besides the asteroid belts. well atleast none that i know of

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:59 pm

its not going to have any important effect on game play, well just be able to see the sides of our ships while turning, whoopdido, shouldnt PTT be working on somthing that effects gameplay or adds creativity to the game?

Michael2

Post by Michael2 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:45 pm

propwash wrote:
CaptKirk wrote:
Having flown Flight Simulator 2004, since it came out, and Flight Simulator X Deluxe..... actually both of you are correct. The pilot banks the plane 1. to reduce stress on the craft, 2. so that the lift from the plane flying in the ATMOSPHERE will pull the wing/plane in the desired direction, 3. to reduce the lateral G-Forces, 4. "crabbing" by using ONLY the rudder could be an inefficient use for an extended turn, but if you are using the rudder to maintian a certain heading with crosswinds, it is EXTREMELY efficient (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fjW6yK1eho )
The Slightly Less Technical Wiki Page Answer

Why does the aircraft rotate or Bank during a turn?

There are several reasons to rotate the aircaft to the LEFT when making a turn to the LEFT. First it is more comfortable on the passengers. If the a/c did not rotate and just turned left using the rudder, the passengers would be pushed to one side by te centrifugal forces---as well as their drinks and luggage, etc.

The aircraft banks and this keeps the forces acting directly through the passenger's seat of his pants. The only thing he feels is that he is slightly sinking into his seat.

Also, the aircraft is a little easier to control in a turn if it is banked. Different controls surfaces are used and this mades the turn easier. If the aircraft is a fighter jet making a high-speed turn, then it is better to rotate the a/c and use the tail controls that pitch the a/c up. The aircraft can pitch up more with these tail controls than simply turn using the Vertical Rudder.

Hoorah Wiki!

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:33 am

Michael2 wrote:
propwash wrote:
CaptKirk wrote: Incorrect. An aircraft banks while turning so the lift of the wing "pulls" the aircraft in the direction desired. Turning using the surface area of the rudder only would be horribly inefficient. A side benefit is that the G's(which are increased in a turn) pull the pilot down in the seat, instead of sideways.
The Slightly Less Technical Wiki Page Answer

Why does the aircraft rotate or Bank during a turn?

There are several reasons to rotate the aircaft to the LEFT when making a turn to the LEFT. First it is more comfortable on the passengers. If the a/c did not rotate and just turned left using the rudder, the passengers would be pushed to one side by te centrifugal forces---as well as their drinks and luggage, etc.

The aircraft banks and this keeps the forces acting directly through the passenger's seat of his pants. The only thing he feels is that he is slightly sinking into his seat.

Also, the aircraft is a little easier to control in a turn if it is banked. Different controls surfaces are used and this mades the turn easier. If the aircraft is a fighter jet making a high-speed turn, then it is better to rotate the a/c and use the tail controls that pitch the a/c up. The aircraft can pitch up more with these tail controls than simply turn using the Vertical Rudder.

Hoorah Wiki!
about the centifugal forces you mentioned, they do not exist. what causes that to happen is not a force, it is newton's first law. If an object is in motion in a certain direction, it will stay in motion in that direction unless an outside source affects it. basically, if a plane yews sharply to the right, everything will slide to the left, because everything was currently going in that direction, the force of the plane moved it, the reason everyone doesnt ram into the wall is friction. but again, there is no force behind it, its simply a law of motion.

BLADE2

Post by BLADE2 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:13 pm

Cheesy wrote:its not going to have any important effect on game play, well just be able to see the sides of our ships while turning, whoopdido, shouldnt PTT be working on somthing that effects gameplay or adds creativity to the game?
They prolly should, but since when have you known them to do anything we ask? We ask for more ships, and we get adjustments to current ships.

We ask for new planetary defenses, we get new planet layouts that you can only see on rebangs and new permas.

And now we have asteroids that have caused more problems than they are creating.

So, might as well ask for a graphical change, cause it seems to be all they are capable of.