portraits/avatars...

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Machaca8

portraits/avatars...

Post by Machaca8 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:57 pm

So, my question is, are there any special requests for portraits/avatars? Things you'd like to see? Things you don't care for?

I'm in the process of recreating the avatars, so I welcome any feedback. :)

Toonces
Site Admin

Re: portraits/avatars...

Post by Toonces » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:53 pm

This is for real. Machaca is the one who's been working on the portraits.

Starblazer

Post by Starblazer » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:09 pm

Awesome! I'd like the black guy in the first avatar to have a skin fade option also instead of just the green napkin looking thing and the mohawk.

A green alien type avatar would be cool.
Last edited by Starblazer on Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ComradeKev

Post by ComradeKev » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:13 pm

How about a tooncinator avatar! :D

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:00 pm

I guess adding actual face pics is out of the question? With the threat of banning for inappropriate material? It'd be nice to be able to upload a normal pic and add the punk and bling features to your own face. Like borg eyes or whatnot. Has this ever been tried? I think most players would not abuse it. Could you IP ban offenders? I think most peeps would like this.

Oh, and for things I don't like... the unrealistic bling like pencils through the ear and crap like that. Come on. Ditch it. Is everyone in space some kind of tattoo artist on crack? How about bling that adds depth and meaning to some kind of background history of the universe? Has anyone even bothered to write a background for the Starport universe instead of throwing smorgasboard graphics into the game? How about bling that represents different races?

Jtak

Post by Jtak » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:40 pm

make someone in a hocky mask

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:40 pm

BMF1000D wrote:I guess adding actual face pics is out of the question? With the threat of banning for inappropriate material? It'd be nice to be able to upload a normal pic and add the punk and bling features to your own face. Like borg eyes or whatnot. Has this ever been tried? I think most players would not abuse it. Could you IP ban offenders? I think most peeps would like this.

Oh, and for things I don't like... the unrealistic bling like pencils through the ear and crap like that. Come on. Ditch it. Is everyone in space some kind of tattoo artist on crack? How about bling that adds depth and meaning to some kind of background history of the universe? Has anyone even bothered to write a background for the Starport universe instead of throwing smorgasboard graphics into the game? How about bling that represents different races?
finally, someone thinks the same as me... where is the storyline?

breakdown

Post by breakdown » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:45 pm

BMF1000D wrote:I guess adding actual face pics is out of the question? With the threat of banning for inappropriate material? It'd be nice to be able to upload a normal pic and add the punk and bling features to your own face. Like borg eyes or whatnot. Has this ever been tried? I think most players would not abuse it. Could you IP ban offenders? I think most peeps would like this.

/ignored

I like the newer avatars; keep up the good work. But can we add new choices instead of updating the existing options? The more choices the better and people don't like having the avatar they chose switched up on em on mid permaverse. I don't mind wasting 5k tokens to switch mine up, but some people have better things to spend tokens on. :lol:

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:51 am

i think u shud add some background like u can choose 2 do storyline mode thingy, at end of storyline, u get a kewl arti that lets u upgrade a planet 2 earthlike w/ 100nukes but is hard 2 do and can take a week of ALL DAY playing:P

Danius

Post by Danius » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:18 pm

My only request for the portraits is the character that is chineese . it needs updating, i use it all the time and it doesn't look right against the new portraits since they look more realistic and mine looks like a cartoon, i'd say mabe make him look rougher, with a scar or something.

KiT

Post by KiT » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:47 pm

Well, not like im going to betray my monocle guy but here are some ideas for face types for portraits for you:
Globally, you could add analternative background for each portrait, but that'll need programmers to update the interface a bit.

And some new face types could be:
Nordic type (Viking-like) - Very pale, long blonde or red hair (punk), optional blue tattoo (tattoo), ring can be added in the nose (bling), 2 kinds of beard (simple one, and one with small plaits; eyewear slot), and for costume...eh, well 2 some generic spacesuits i guess.

Cyborg type - Skin a little greenish, terminator-style cybernetic eyepatch (eyewear), a tattoo resembling a circuit board, some additional chip on the forehead (bling), head can also have an optional cybernetic implant, one version of the spacesuit can also be cybork-like, with some tubes going to the head and he neck.

toast

Post by toast » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:25 pm

The nordic guy would be sick. I would defff use him.

T

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:01 am

i love the cyborg one

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:37 am

I'm not sure if it was you cause its been a while. But you completely destroyed my piratey guy, used to have long silver hair and an eyepatch and stuff.

Now hes got a gay mask thingy with a retarded looking tattoo. Ever since the change I've been describing him as the one that looks like a child molester and 90% of the people know exactly which one I'm talking about.

Luna

Post by Luna » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:13 am

The female ones don't look friendly. I'd like at least one that looks friendly without looking like a farm girl from Nebraska. I'd like the crown option that the merchant dude has to be available for the female chars. Get rid of the punk red hair for the blond avatar with the pony tails. Give some other option. It looks like a bad hair day for Billy Ray Cyrus. Hair color options would be wonderful, red, blonde, brown, black.

An Alien female would be fantastic with green, blue or purple skin. Make it exotic looking. Not all pilots would have been from Earth.

Give a mix of aggressive and passive expressions for the female chars. Not everyone wants to look like a Carebear or Atila the Hun. Options of any sort would be appreciated. The clothing is outdated so something with a bit more color would be great.

Even allowing a mix of some of the male options with the female chars would be great. They have better clothing and "bling". Tribal tattoos, piercings, earrings, hats ect could work.

ZoffyX

Post by ZoffyX » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:10 am

KiT wrote:anal-ternative
lol (I'm not saying your a bad wrighter, but it's funny)

There should be an option when you make your portrats that you either choose to go through your folders and find a picture there, or do it the old way.

breakdown

Post by breakdown » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:53 pm

I checked out the new portraits in the RE create character screen. While none of them are really my cup of tea, I love how different each one looks depending on what options you check. Very cool stuff and I look forward to more options. Keep up the good work.

The only complaint I have is the avatar I would have chosen had no pupils! :D

Jtak

Post by Jtak » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:35 pm

Luna wrote:The female ones don't look friendly. I'd like at least one that looks friendly without looking like a farm girl from Nebraska. I'd like the crown option that the merchant dude has to be available for the female chars. Get rid of the punk red hair for the blond avatar with the pony tails. Give some other option. It looks like a bad hair day for Billy Ray Cyrus. Hair color options would be wonderful, red, blonde, brown, black.

An Alien female would be fantastic with green, blue or purple skin. Make it exotic looking. Not all pilots would have been from Earth.

Give a mix of aggressive and passive expressions for the female chars. Not everyone wants to look like a Carebear or Atila the Hun. Options of any sort would be appreciated. The clothing is outdated so something with a bit more color would be great.

Even allowing a mix of some of the male options with the female chars would be great. They have better clothing and "bling". Tribal tattoos, piercings, earrings, hats ect could work.

A full line of Alien Pilots... men women

ALSO

Make a kid, not everyone who left earth was adults......

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:38 am

Jtak wrote:

ALSO

Thats stupid kids can't fly spaceships.

Machaca8

Post by Machaca8 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:28 am

Sweet! Feedback! (sorry, I thought I'd get an e-mail when someone responds to the thread, but I haven't been, so until now, I haven't read any of the replies)

Ok, for starters, I've only recreated/changed out the first 8 avatars, and I'm working on the 9th. For the most part, your suggestions are already in the works. On top of recreating the existing avatars, I plan on creating alien races and and more female characters. I hope you can tell from the characters I've already done that there is more depth in their images. I will continue to keep that in mind as I finish up the rest and add more.

I didn't know that my recreations were going to automatically replace the old avatars, so I'm sorry if you miss your old ones. Now that I know that, though, here's a question. How many would be opposed if I took away the military commander looking guy? There just seems to already be a lot of white male avatars already.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep it comin'!

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:01 am

leave the old man (Mark Twain was you click punk) alone.

i cannot be without him. <3

and i might miss the tie-dyed mask.

Jtak

Post by Jtak » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:21 am

Jwilson6 wrote:
Jtak wrote:

ALSO

kids dont drive cars either huh

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:01 am

Jtak wrote:
Jwilson6 wrote:
Jtak wrote:

ALSO

kids dont drive cars either huh
Well for the most part no. Thats regulated. But its still completely different. Spaceships are more like old navy ships. What person would allow a kid to take out an old clipper ship back in the 1800's? NOONE!!!

No kids, its just stupid.

But along the lines of the alien races. Im thinking maybe we could make some race specific. But if you screw up our current impressions of the SGE races well kill u.

Gloin

Post by Gloin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:29 am

What accessory would you like Jtak? a lollypop ? how about pooh bear on your lap?

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:45 am

Danius wrote:My only request for the portraits is the character that is chineese . it needs updating, i use it all the time and it doesn't look right against the new portraits since they look more realistic and mine looks like a cartoon, i'd say mabe make him look rougher, with a scar or something.
Danius, your new portrait looks like a maniac......
But Professors is the best :D
the blue guy looks about %$&*# ridiculous...

Love It! :D

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:46 am

hey, i beat the filter :wink:

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:01 pm

Gloin wrote:What accessory would you like Jtak? a lollypop ? how about pooh bear on your lap?
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Luna

Post by Luna » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:17 pm

When Toonces actually makes this happen he should give everyone a free or reduced fee to choose the new options. We've all had the same things for a long time and it would give us incentive to change, plus be affordable for those that don't have many tokens.

Perhaps an option to change features that only costs 1-2k tokens per character instead of the full 5k to change stats and features.

:D

Machaca8

Post by Machaca8 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:04 am

Jwilson6 wrote:But along the lines of the alien races. Im thinking maybe we could make some race specific. But if you screw up our current impressions of the SGE races well kill u.
And what might those impressions be? (So that I don't cross over any "boundaries")

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:54 am

More MuTAnTs ;)

My guy should look bad-donkey.

You could incorporate different uniforms or something, give people military/navy uniforms, different faction uniforms etc. I dunno..