[IDEA] Integrate PAX and PVP properly

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

BMF1000D

[IDEA] Integrate PAX and PVP properly

Post by BMF1000D » Fri May 30, 2008 3:35 am

Opinions will no doubt differ on how to fix it, but I think most will agree in the problem.

Problem: Builders who don't care much for PVP spend weeks or months building colonies only to have them lost in a few hours to experienced raiders. Then they realize building in SGE sucks unless they go to a PAX server that has open planets. This in turn hurts raiders, who have fewer colonies to invade. Sometimes, the raiders don't even want the colonies, they just want to invade. This is a lose/lose situation for SGE players.

Solution?: Notice for a moment what the problem ISN’T. The problem isn’t invading. This is a fun part of the game for certain players. For invaders, invading is a reward. Now that may seem obvious but it is vital that we don’t take anything away from existing players.

The problem arises when the builder loses his colony. This is a punishment. That’s not to say there shouldn’t be any punishment in the game at all. Punishment creates risk, which creates tension, ergo excitement. However, it is the frequency and, especially, the severity of punishment that must be carefully tempered. Reward is a much better motivator than punishment.

In short, we need to come up with a way to reward the invader without punishing the builder so severely. After all, logging on to see all your colonies gone doesn’t create tension. It merely creates frustration and hatred. It teaches new players that building isn’t worthwhile at all, or not on a PVP server. Veterans joke about letting new players build planets that they can capture, and then wonder why this isn’t a workable solution.

Why do builders play the game then quit? In this case, the punishment outweighs the reward. Want more players in the game? It doesn’t require a massive internet campaign. Simply stop punishing new builders so severely and word of mouth about how FUN the game is will spread.

So the question arises as to how to keep rewarding invaders adequately without punishing builders on a PVP server so severely. Here, opinion will differ, but the first step will most certainly involve figuring what motivates players to invade. I’m willing to bet it isn’t “So I can clean more pollution! Oh that’s fun as pulling teeth!”. (Sidenote here that pollution is a punishment, ergo not as effective as a reward).

What I’d like to see in this post is for invaders who post to list why they invade. Is it for the challenge? The money? The recognition? So you can clean more pollution? Whatever it is, post it. Also ask invaders in game who don’t post what they like and post it here as well. This needs as much player input as possible. There has to be a way to give invaders what they desire without totally taking away colonies from builders.

If you’re argument is that players build to start just so they can invade, then leave the traditional building route open to invasion, but provide the “less severe punishment route to builders who agree to “UN inspections” when they create their character.

For example, they cannot build weapons at their colonies but also do not completely loose their colony when invaded. Maybe they have to pay an ongoing percentage tax to the most recent invader as well as loosing a certain percentage of money each time they are invaded by a different player. Rebuilding defenses would help keep from paying another “lump sum” to a different invader. If they stayed un-invaded for a certain number of days, they could “rebel” and not have to pay the occupation tax anymore. Also these “UN builders” would be limited to a certain total number of colonies.

The number of rules that could be added to “UN builders” are numerous and various. Maybe they couldn’t ally with invaders or pirates. Maybe they could manufacture artifacts. Basically they would receive penalties to reduce or prevent them from invading, but would not be punished by invasion nearly as much, while retaining the ability to PVP in open space. Invaders and builders could both benefit from such an adjustment.

Invaders would have more cols to invade, less maintenance, easy long term reward (perhaps even some gratitude from the occupied instead of Pure-D hatred), and maybe a news page showing total cols invaded and held. Builders would not hate the game and quit after all their effort was wasted, and also have something unique that invaders didn’t have. I think this implementation would improve SGE 10 million percent, and PAX servers could be eliminated.

Invaders please post what you enjoy about raiding to help with this idea!
Last edited by BMF1000D on Fri May 30, 2008 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grimoire

Post by Grimoire » Fri May 30, 2008 5:09 am

/give paragraph.

Not gonna bother unless you divide that huge block of letters.

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Fri May 30, 2008 6:39 am

Razz wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but isnt the point of the game getting followers which leads to exp.
No. The point of the game is to have fun, whatever that may entail.
Invading is a hell of alot more fun the hauling population and resources all hugging day.
Yes it is. For the invader.
And they made PAX for builders who cant handle a non pax server so I dont see the issue.
Then you didn't read my post. Invaders also lose when the builders leave PVP servers (for the reasons listed above).

Grimoire

Post by Grimoire » Fri May 30, 2008 7:20 am

I invade because:
I get bored building.
I've built too many planets and lost them to buggy coding.
People talk trash and I have to put them in thier place.
Someone moves into my Territory.
My buddies are all doing it.
Somtimes it can be a good challenge.
It's something to do other than sit in a port.
I want all the planets everywhere.

Thank-you for dividing your post so its readable. I see where your coming from, but the idea's you have listed won't do to much, and seem like it makes it harder on builders.

Really the only way to help out newer builders is to give them something speacial stat wise that would be of value to them and the established corps, or give the people who invade them something bad that would deter them from wanting to invade them.

Newer builders could give you an overall 2x exp for thier first month for being in your corp ect ect (permas only), or invaders artifacts break if they use them on noobie planets (there would be a warning) IM NOT SUGGESTING ARTIFACTS BREAK ONLY THAT THERE SHOULD BE SOMETHING TO DETER PEOPLE FROM INVADING THE NEWEST GUYS/GALS IT WAS ONLY AND EXAMPLE.

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Fri May 30, 2008 9:52 am

The point of the game is to end up with the most experience, the most efficient way to accomplish this is with having the most colonies, you need to have the most and your enemies as little as possible. This is the point of the game, not necessarily where people get their fun from. Permaverses are a little different in that it doesn't matter how much experience, but the amount of colonies you have is what matters.

People aren't going to like spending a lot of time invading only to gain nothing but a small percentage of tax money or something, the point of invading was to HAVE the colony.

If people could have perm UN cols this would be a distinct disadvantage for their enemies, they could invade their enemies cols with no fear of retribution from the colony that they invaded you from.

PK servers are called that for a reason, you can be killed and your stuff can get invaded, simple as that.

godman

Post by godman » Fri May 30, 2008 11:58 am

MastrIan wrote:The point of the game is to end up with the most experience, the most efficient way to accomplish this is with having the most colonies, you need to have the most and your enemies as little as possible. This is the point of the game, not necessarily where people get their fun from. Permaverses are a little different in that it doesn't matter how much experience, but the amount of colonies you have is what matters.

People aren't going to like spending a lot of time invading only to gain nothing but a small percentage of tax money or something, the point of invading was to HAVE the colony.

If people could have perm UN cols this would be a distinct disadvantage for their enemies, they could invade their enemies cols with no fear of retribution from the colony that they invaded you from.

PK servers are called that for a reason, you can be killed and your stuff can get invaded, simple as that.
I dont think you get the IDEA of the game... Toonces wants people to HAVE FUN.. most of the players AIMS are to have the most cols/exp...

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Fri May 30, 2008 1:56 pm

Thats were a problem lies.
Toonces has to try to make one aspect of the game fun without harming another part of the SGE community.

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Fri May 30, 2008 2:39 pm

MastrIan wrote:
Wrong. As mentioned in my post, "UN builders" would be given a distinct disadvantage when invading, or forbidden to invade at all. But their own colonies would still remain invadable to a lesser degree, thus adding to the fun for the invader community.

Thanks Grimoire for your list. It will be very helpful to me in compiling suggestions. Others please list reasons you enjoy invading as well.

spartan.

Post by spartan. » Fri May 30, 2008 7:25 pm

ok im using part of my 5 minute internet time per month for this lol

pk is pk....leave it be if teh builders leave then the invaders build shitty cols which get invaded by other invaders and in the end we get more well rounded players

what you want is called wild and crazy guy homeworlds....not gonna happen

-spartan.

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Fri May 30, 2008 8:30 pm

spartan. wrote:
what you want is called wild and crazy guy homeworlds....not gonna happen

-spartan.

I don't even know what that means. :?:

Smeagol...

Post by Smeagol... » Fri May 30, 2008 8:51 pm

godman wrote: Toonces wants people to HAVE FUN...
I see...that explains resource hauling and pollution so well.........

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Fri May 30, 2008 11:54 pm

yes I DO enjoy clicking a button 500 times an hour.

It just makes me feel like im fuffilling so much...

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Sat May 31, 2008 12:31 am

BMF1000D wrote:
MastrIan wrote:
Wrong. As mentioned in my post, "UN builders" would be given a distinct disadvantage when invading, or forbidden to invade at all. But their own colonies would still remain invadable to a lesser degree, thus adding to the fun for the invader community.
What's stopping the weapon trading and your corpmates invading?

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Sat May 31, 2008 2:56 am

DarkLStrike wrote:
What's stopping the weapon trading and your corpmates invading?
I'm not sure I completely understand your question. Are you talking about hoarding resources on these colonies for invaders? Remeber that these colonies could still be invaded (just not completely lost), and as my original post said, there would be no weapons factory.

Deathreape98

Post by Deathreape98 » Sat May 31, 2008 11:20 am

While I personally dislike your idea, and think that another solution would be better, I will say why I invade. The only reason I invade is for fun...dodging solars left and right, letting out nukes, leaving with 0 shields and barely dodging that solar...it's fun. Now why people invade noob cols....I don't really see why. Perhaps because they're bored.

Smeagol...

Post by Smeagol... » Sat May 31, 2008 1:44 pm

BMF1000D wrote: Remeber that these colonies could still be invaded (just not completely lost), and as my original post said, there would be no weapons factory.
Then what the hell is the point? There is NO invadable col that can't be taken and builders will still piss and moan about it....just sounds like a sucky col without teh WF.......

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Sat May 31, 2008 9:03 pm

The point is a lesser penalty for builders who don’t care about conquering every planet. And no, builders will not complain as much. I’ve refined the idea a little: Here is the difference for the builder:

OPTION 1 The way it is now: Spend weeks or months building several colonies. Lose them in two hours to a veteran with 400 planets. You get nothing. Haha you suck. Go start over from scratch so someone else can take them again even though you have no interest in invading others. Quit complaining because you are not having fun. Oh, and here’s a PAX server that has nothing fun happening in it at all. It has NO PVP or competition or anything fun to do. Ever.

OPTION 2 The way it could be: Player gets to CHOOSE. You can stick with the above option 1 during the character creation process if it suits your fancy. OR….

You choose (let’s say) a diplomat character class. A diplomat would have a limit on the maximum number of total colonies he can own, say, 4-6.

What happens to the builder when invaded: If you get invaded you loose (25% -50%) of the cash on the planet immediately. That’s enough to make you care, but not going to wipe you out. Obviously you lose whatever defenses were destroyed. In addition, you suffer a (25%-50%) decrease of whatever the planet is producing for you, whether that is resources, exp, taxes, construction time, etc. When someone tries to land on the planet it will say “Under the dominion of *player name*”, with the player name being the one who conquered the planet. The planet can only be invaded once every 24 hours. Diplomats cannot be in a corporation with a non-diplomat.

What the invader gets: An amount of cash equal to what the builder lost up front when invaded (Right now I think it is 25% of the total?). Also he gets a “copy” of whatever the planet is producing whether it is resources, exp, taxes, etc. If this seems unrealistic, think of it as a U.N. ransom or something. He does not suffer the 25% conquer penalty that the builder does. Also, he can build, at his own expense, a robotic weapons factory that only he has access too. It will build at the speed of 100% of the colonies population, but does not actually use the colonies population or resources to build it. He will have his own resource storage bin for any resources he gets from the planet or drops on the planet. Resources cannot be traded between resource bins on the planet. After the factory is complete, it will build weapons at rate of 100% of the colonies population. They are built by robots, of course, so it doesn’t affect the colonies production rate.

A conqueror can deploy defenses on a planet to help defend it, but can not pick up any defenses on a planet surface. The diplomat can drop, move, or pick up defenses left by the conqueror, but could not take defenses off the planet that were dropped by the conqueror. If the diplomat maxes out the defenses except for what the conqueror dropped, he can drop additional defenses to replace what the conqueror dropped. The conquerors defenses would be moved to the WF on the planet.

If the planet has been occupied for more than a week, it is 100% defended, all defenses belong to the diplomat, and morale is high enough, he can “rebel”. Ownership of the planet reverts back to the original owner without the (25% - 50%) production penalty. Weapons and defenses belonging to the conqueror are placed on the planet of the conquerors choosing. If the conqueror had no other planets, the weapons are destroyed. The diplomat could sell the weapons factory.

I know this a long post, but other than being overly complicated, would this be agreeable to both invaders and builders?

I haven’t noticed much response at all from builders on this.

There is actually something I'm not quite happy about with this arangement either but I can't put my finger on it. Really, what needs to happen is to have a way for builders to build massive defenses quickly without losing the whole colony when it is invaded, and the reward for invaders to be massive, that way builders can enjoying defendingmore, and invaders can enjoy invading.

SpaceToast

Post by SpaceToast » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:52 am

why dont we just work a simople solution how bout dont invade unless they start something.

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:22 am

BMF1000D wrote:
You choose (let’s say) a diplomat character class. A diplomat would have a limit on the maximum number of total colonies he can own, say, 4-6.
Are diplomats allowed to convert back to normal players?
Are normal players allowed to be converted to diplomats?
If so... it could be exploited.
If not, what if I find the life as a diplomat to be boring and I want to expand on my 4-6 planets civilization?
BMF1000D wrote: What the invader gets: An amount of cash equal to what the builder lost up front when invaded (Right now I think it is 25% of the total?). Also he gets a “copy” of whatever the planet is producing whether it is resources, exp, taxes, etc. If this seems unrealistic, think of it as a U.N. ransom or something. He does not suffer the 25% conquer penalty that the builder does. Also, he can build, at his own expense, a robotic weapons factory that only he has access too. It will build at the speed of 100% of the colonies population, but does not actually use the colonies population or resources to build it. He will have his own resource storage bin for any resources he gets from the planet or drops on the planet. Resources cannot be traded between resource bins on the planet. After the factory is complete, it will build weapons at rate of 100% of the colonies population. They are built by robots, of course, so it doesn’t affect the colonies production rate.
This can be exploited quite easily, you can just get your friend to be a diplomat and build free weapons on his planets (no resources required, 100% construction rate without colonists on military duties).
BMF1000D wrote: A conqueror can deploy defenses on a planet to help defend it, but can not pick up any defenses on a planet surface. The diplomat can drop, move, or pick up defenses left by the conqueror, but could not take defenses off the planet that were dropped by the conqueror. If the diplomat maxes out the defenses except for what the conqueror dropped, he can drop additional defenses to replace what the conqueror dropped. The conquerors defenses would be moved to the WF on the planet.
So... the diplomat can take over the conqueror's defenses?
BMF1000D wrote: I haven’t noticed much response at all from builders on this.
There ain't a lot of builders.

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:05 am

Reaper5669 wrote:why dont we just work a simople solution how bout dont invade unless they start something.
HAHA. I like it. I wish it worked that way.

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:30 am

Are diplomats allowed to convert back to normal players?
Are normal players allowed to be converted to diplomats?
If so... it could be exploited.
If not, what if I find the life as a diplomat to be boring and I want to expand on my 4-6 planets civilization?
I would say no. This may be too harsh, so maybe for tokens would be a good idea. If they want it bad enough, they can contribute to Toonces work. :lol:
This can be exploited quite easily, you can just get your friend to be a diplomat and build free weapons on his planets (no resources required, 100% construction rate without colonists on military duties).
That's true, except there is still the limit of 4-6 planets total, which is a pretty sucky limit for advanced/long term players. The people who want a bigger empire than this won't be inclined to bother, I don't think. Also, the builder would have to suffer a pretty huge reduction in build times and resources. Even if the conqueror gave him the extra resources back, it would still be a hassle, especially if the main colony still had to make the same advances as other colonies to get to the point where the invader WF could be built. I'm glad you pointed it out, though.
So... the diplomat can take over the conqueror's defenses?
No. The conqueror gets them back as the diplomat replaces them. The only exception might be if this was the only planet the conqueror held. In which case they would magically disappear if the diplomat rebelled. At least I thnk that would be a good plan.

Also, I'm pondering if it might be a good idea to let the diplomat have a faster way to replenish his defenses... so he can get invaded more... I know that sounds silly, but the idea is to take the suckiness out of losing to an invader, and make it more fun to set up different defenses. Imagine what a better game SGE would be if there was a reward system that actually made players look forward to people invading their well prepared colonies. Then PAX servers wouldn't be necessary. And there would be a better concentration of players per server.

*BTW hope none of this sounds too critical to Tonnces. I love your work!*

VinhDUcanh

PVP vers Builder

Post by VinhDUcanh » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:33 pm

This is my first post to the forums But BMF1000D has a point.

I've played on and off for the last couple of years and I always came to the same conclusion, In my opinion the gaming system is biased in favor of the Pirates, not that a builder can't win.

I'm not much of a PVP player and I like playing the building role but it is irritating to log on after a week of building and see all your stuff gone.
Usually taken by the experienced PVP player that built up fuel over he past week and goes on a rampage for a few hours.
Pax servers are kinda boring without any PVP at all.
There has to be a solution that's good for all.

Why not just make it simple and let the invaders have the resources and money at base then put the col under Un protection for another 24-36 hrs. Make all Weapons Systems and Buildings left after the invasion stay with the builder.
If colony gets invaded again after the Un time out by the same invader all bets are off. At least it gives the builder time to rebuild when he comes back online if he chooses.

After 7 days the rankings are in favor the builders but at the end of the games it's almost always all Pirates that are in the top positions.
Builders put a lot more time into the game (usually) and should not be able to be taken out so easily.

Why can't we all just get along and have an honest fight. :roll:

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:24 pm

i agree completly with the thread you made. that's why i went straight to pax when i joined SGE because there is nothing i hate more than to have to start fresh, which is why i like perma's. also, what you wrote was exactly what happened to me, the other day, someone i won't say who, invaded one of my best col which was really well defended, (might not be a good invader or fighter yet, but i know how to build fast and how to defend it to be hard to invade) and i nearly went into a mental breakdown because of it, now honestly it wasn't of the fact i had lost my col, that brought this on but mostly the stress i have at home from my folks, and having that peson invade me was the drop that made the bucket break.

but after some time, i realise i was stressing my self about that col for nothing. and i also realised that if i don't want to have people invade me as much i need to make the col as crappy for others as i can, which is working one of frontline men on BR took a undefended volcanic from me, and he soon realised why lol, research sucked and was poorly placed as well. XD and now all our cols are made to be crappy, sort of.

so i agree with you, we need to find a way to find some way to lower the "punishment" for builders. the idea i like to do it was a "PAK" server, which consist of player killing allowed but no invading. personally i would be the first one to join as soon as i hear it is open but that's just me

zoliax

Post by zoliax » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:41 pm

Something has to be done! My U.N. protection ends in 18 hours!

Ok, that is what me, the newbie, thinks about that:
Let's think about present world/Earth. You want to take some space shuttle down. You fire one guided rocket and say: "All clear!". Ok, I understand that it isnt 2008 in StarPort, ships are harder, better, faster, stronger... so the whole armament, weaponry and stuff. Making STA defences stronger would force players to invade with friends. For me that's logical.
Or the second thing, it was mentioned already(I think so :P ). Close your eyes and be colonist in 2347... Suddenly some freak comes and lands in YOUR biodome, walks into your home with dirty shoes. What do you do? Follow him and let him STEAL your cash and YOUR resources any time? Or would you kick his donkey and wait for your old leader to come? Unless he was bad guy. :P So you would be able to invade, take cash and fly away, but you would need good charisma to claim colony your own. If charisma is much higher then old owner's you may be sure colony will be yours. Same if colony's status is bad. Low resources, bad morale, so colonists want to have better leader. Some luck, successful roll etc etc. Seems logical too. :lol:

Smeagol...

Post by Smeagol... » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:24 pm

Reaper5669 wrote:why dont we just work a simople solution how bout dont invade unless they start something.
How do you start something if you can't invade unless they invade you first?

Effectively murdering warfare

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:15 pm

i say this, i am a builder and an invader, i go for a few weeks of invadeing and then a few weeks of building, and so on. i was not on in 1week and found tah ti had lost 1 col of my 61 cols. i said, meh, i will retake it. why cant everyone do that? u lose ur col? take it back. easy solution, if u dont like to invade ok, get a corpie who invades and u build. ur corpie steals and retakes, u build. easy solution.

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:57 pm

ArdRhys4 wrote:i say this, i am a builder and an invader, i go for a few weeks of invadeing and then a few weeks of building, and so on. i was not on in 1week and found tah ti had lost 1 col of my 61 cols. i said, meh, i will retake it. why cant everyone do that? u lose ur col? take it back. easy solution, if u dont like to invade ok, get a corpie who invades and u build. ur corpie steals and retakes, u build. easy solution.
maybe it is easy for you, but my corp in BR, we aren't much of a invader, i mean i am learning cuz i realise now, without this skills you can get taken over and you end up with zilch at the end but even then, i am like i said learning, i am in no condition to even invade my own cols defences if it was taken over by someone else. (as i said before i am a better defender than invader, the lvl at which i defend i couldn't even invade them lol hope that made sense)

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:18 am

well there you have it folks the concept of a CORP! some build and maintain and others fight some do both.

oh hang on! When I left my empire on permaverse and gave people the go ahead because I had maintained them properly people were spamming my mails to shut the solars down. So make your colonies primed for invasions learn from an invaders perspective ie what really fucks people off when invading a colony and implement it onto the colony.

I have said this before and I shall say this again SGE is a ton less dangerous than it used to be.

BMF1000D

Post by BMF1000D » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:43 pm

VinhDUcanh wrote:This is my first post to the forums But BMF1000D has a point.

Thanks!
VinhDUcanh wrote:

Why not just make it simple and let the invaders have the resources and money at base then put the col under Un protection for another 24-36 hrs.

Point taken. Simpler is better.
VinhDUcanh wrote:
Make all Weapons Systems and Buildings left after the invasion stay with the builder.
If colony gets invaded again after the UN time out by the same invader all bets are off. At least it gives the builder time to rebuild when he comes back online if he chooses.
The successful invasion cooldown factor sounds like a good way to offer some relief, however, sometimes invaders actually want the colony. I think NEVER being able to capture a colony doesn’t offer much fun for the game as a whole.
feenix wrote:i agree completly with the thread you made.
You are one smart guy!
feenix wrote:
that's why i went straight to pax when i joined SGE because there is nothing i hate more than to have to start fresh, which is why i like perma's. also, what you wrote was exactly what happened to me, the other day, …

…i also realised that if i don't want to have people invade me as much i need to make the col as crappy for others as i can, which is working one of frontline men on BR took a undefended volcanic from me, and he soon realised why lol, research sucked and was poorly placed as well. XD and now all our cols are made to be crappy, sort of.
Wow that sucks. That’s like giving away all your worldly possessions to fight communism.
feenix wrote:
so i agree with you, we need to find a way to find some way to lower the "punishment" for builders. the idea i like to do it was a "PAK" server, which consist of player killing allowed but no invading. personally i would be the first one to join as soon as i hear it is open but that's just me
Again, I think invading is an important aspect of the game and should be retained. I don’t want to see any fun things removed from the game. However, fun for one player shouldn’t come at the expense of another. At least, not great expense.
zoliax wrote:Something has to be done! My U.N. protection ends in 18 hours!

Ok, that is what me, the newbie, thinks about that:
Let's think about present world/Earth. You want to take some space shuttle down. You fire one guided rocket and say: "All clear!". Ok, I understand that it isnt 2008 in StarPort, ships are harder, better, faster, stronger... so the whole armament, weaponry and stuff. Making STA defences stronger would force players to invade with friends. For me that's logical.
I suppose so.
zoliax wrote:
Or the second thing, it was mentioned already(I think so :P ). Close your eyes and be colonist in 2347... Suddenly some freak comes and lands in YOUR biodome, walks into your home with dirty shoes. What do you do? Follow him and let him STEAL your cash and YOUR resources any time? Or would you kick his giraffe and wait for your old leader to come? Unless he was bad a guy. :P So you would be able to invade, take cash and fly away, but you would need good charisma to claim colony your own. If charisma is much higher then old owner's you may be sure colony will be yours. Same if colony's status is bad. Low resources, bad morale, so colonists want to have better leader. Some luck, successful roll etc etc. Seems logical too. :lol:
Wow. I think that’s actually a very good idea.

Let me take your idea a step further… for the sake of critique by others. What if we combine VinhDUcanh and Zoliax’s idea?

If you get to the dome you get money and resources, but can only cap the colony if you have high enough charisma (either as a direct comparison or based on luck, with better odds for higher charisma).

Let’s take it a step further again…

What if the charisma of your entire corporation was considered in the factor of capturing a planet? That way a builder working alone could be overtaken by a corp of multiple pirates with lesser charisma, but a band of builders working together could easily hang onto their colonies. An invader might be forced to band up with 2-3 corpmates that had really high charisma to compensate for his complete lack of charisma in order to capture successfully. Players would have to balance their attributes more carefully. Too little dexterity and you might never get to the dome. Too little charisma and you would get money and resources, but might not cap the colony. Since it would factor the sum total of the corporation, not every member of the corp would have to spec their character the same to achieve the overall goal. Cool!

Could this be exploited? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of such an arrangement?

Anybody?

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:07 am

I think right now I want to eat your face and and smear the feaces over your grave.