A Suggested Purpose for Gas Giants and Tinys

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

General_Neox

A Suggested Purpose for Gas Giants and Tinys

Post by General_Neox » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:22 pm

They are useless... Don't deny it. They have no real function in starport besides blocking nukes and nesting sleepers.

There should be some kind of game function that they serve to make starport more interesting in general.

Satelite (Gas Giant)

Population Max: 300

Function: As long as the operatives have enough resources to survive and the station is given oil to operate it will act as a monitoring device telling the owner of news in the system.

Satelite Alpha Cancri 1 has just spotted Dark Overlord Neox warping in to the system!

Satelite Alpha Cancri 1 is registering combat in the system!

Satelites may only be protected by mines and a max of 20 mines/compound mines can be placed in the gas giant

Satelite kit: 20 000

Research Base (Tiny)

Poulation Max: 300

Function: A Research base functions as an extra discovery making device that will benefit the entire system as long as the planets in the system have a radio reciever (So they can recieve the information from the research bases). It operates at the same speed as a 1000 population colony and can only be defended by 20 mines, just like the satelites.

The research bases needs basic life support resources just like a colony but luckily they use up a lot less because of the small population. The base needs equipment to operate just like the sats need oil.

Research Base kit: 20 000

Also if any of these satelites/stations run out of resources a message will be sent to the owner or the joint owners of the respective sat/station stating that it has ran out of resources and will no longer function.

Our Satelite orbiting Alpha Cancri I has ran out of resources and will no longer function.
Last edited by General_Neox on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zavrith

Post by Zavrith » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:25 pm

They're great sources of negs. Gas giants in particular if I recall...

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:27 pm

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:30 am

Zavrith wrote:They're great sources of negs. Gas giants in particular if I recall...
:shock: .................who the hell still uses negs? we uses nukes where i am from :P 8)

personnaly i think it would be a usefull way to use a tiny and gas giant, on top of providing EIK!! negs.

god i can't believe i said the neg word :lol:

altho on a side note tiny and gas giant can easyly be converted into a race track, i know i have 2 :P.

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:19 am

feenix wrote:
Zavrith wrote:They're great sources of negs. Gas giants in particular if I recall...
:shock: .................who the hell still uses negs? we uses nukes where i am from :P 8)

personnaly i think it would be a usefull way to use a tiny and gas giant, on top of providing EIK!! negs.

god i can't believe i said the neg word :lol:

altho on a side note tiny and gas giant can easyly be converted into a race track, i know i have 2 :P.
I find during rebangs free negs are actually quite useful. But it's easier to find them on earthlikes inside UN.

Knowing where your enemy is can also be a MASSIVE advantage. For example you get a message saying your best pal who's been capping your cols is hanging around at the end of some arm and you know there are no ports nearby so you cut him off with your corpmates for an easy kill.

Having your enemy recieve some kind of possibility to destroy the base before the warning signal is sent might be an idea but I honestly don't know.

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:51 pm

I like this idea, as it gives some strategic value to those planet types, and would put a kink to sleepers.

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:41 pm

Gas giants and tiny's do of course have use, negs are awesome and important strategically, phasing on them and bouncing on them for system combat is important too, but nothing more than what any other planet does, plus they......make great mined race tracks, ty Dirt :)

The tiny function seems good, resources and additional scientists working with a system to boost research seems excellent (would this boost the entire research slider, say 5% or something giving your allocation a total of 105%, that can be used towards either discovery or environment, seems awesome)

The gas giant's proposed function seems exceedingly over powered, having every tiny and GG in all your systems could result in having potentially hundreds of these lookouts. The cost of neutralizing them could possibly be staggering and slow down what you actually want to accomplish. This could turn into something tedious and repetitive with no actual added fun.
Perhaps if this was balanced with a limit of say only one of the GG "domes" per corpmate may be deployed at a time. This could turn into an important strategic tool without being overpowered in the fact that every system could be monitored reducing you to actually have to fly around and find people yourself. General Neox you hinted at them needing resources to function, would they harvest themselves or would they need to be manually delivered as they are constantly consuming? This would help balance them too, and with a limited number being able to be deployed at a time I think this could be a well balanced strategic element.

There should only be the 20 mine limit if there is actually one of these "domes" deployed, not affecting any other tiny's and GG limit, we don't want to see Dirt's mine races going away :)

Would the 300 colonists gain you hourly experience or rep? I think 20k for the kit seems a bit low, at least the same price as a regular biodome if not little more. They have to be tough enough to survive the harsh environment of a swirling gaseous ball, or the near 0 gravity of a tiny, these things do need a built in radio rec. to be able to communicate with you and your cols right? ;)
nukahn wrote:I like this idea, as it gives some strategic value to those planet types, and would put a kink to sleepers.
I have no idea what this means, put a kink to sleepers? Are they no longer going to be allowed to sleep/log out? Lol.

Overall I like the general idea behind this, I mean all resources were made important and strategic, why not give satellites in a system the chance to be utilized.

General_Neox

Post by General_Neox » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:58 pm

MastrIan wrote:Gas giants and tiny's do of course have use, negs are awesome and important strategically, phasing on them and bouncing on them for system combat is important too, but nothing more than what any other planet does, plus they......make great mined race tracks, ty Dirt :)

The tiny function seems good, resources and additional scientists working with a system to boost research seems excellent (would this boost the entire research slider, say 5% or something giving your allocation a total of 105%, that can be used towards either discovery or environment, seems awesome)

The gas giant's proposed function seems exceedingly over powered, having every tiny and GG in all your systems could result in having potentially hundreds of these lookouts. The cost of neutralizing them could possibly be staggering and slow down what you actually want to accomplish. This could turn into something tedious and repetitive with no actual added fun.
Perhaps if this was balanced with a limit of say only one of the GG "domes" per corpmate may be deployed at a time. This could turn into an important strategic tool without being overpowered in the fact that every system could be monitored reducing you to actually have to fly around and find people yourself. General Neox you hinted at them needing resources to function, would they harvest themselves or would they need to be manually delivered as they are constantly consuming? This would help balance them too, and with a limited number being able to be deployed at a time I think this could be a well balanced strategic element.

There should only be the 20 mine limit if there is actually one of these "domes" deployed, not affecting any other tiny's and GG limit, we don't want to see Dirt's mine races going away :)

Would the 300 colonists gain you hourly experience or rep? I think 20k for the kit seems a bit low, at least the same price as a regular biodome if not little more. They have to be tough enough to survive the harsh environment of a swirling gaseous ball, or the near 0 gravity of a tiny, these things do need a built in radio rec. to be able to communicate with you and your cols right? ;)
nukahn wrote:I like this idea, as it gives some strategic value to those planet types, and would put a kink to sleepers.
I have no idea what this means, put a kink to sleepers? Are they no longer going to be allowed to sleep/log out? Lol.

Overall I like the general idea behind this, I mean all resources were made important and strategic, why not give satellites in a system the chance to be utilized.
The gas gaints and tinys need constant supplying of resources which is why i didnt make a limit on the # of satelites, they can not refine there own supplies

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:33 pm

not sure this is what u meant but what about instead of like other planets that the colony dies since no resources are into the refinary why not make it so that, if there are no resources into the statelite instead of shrinking untill there are 0, why not set it that they don't send you messages if they have no resources?????

this way if oyu forget to do it, the statelite won't die on you therefore there's goes oyur statelite into the atmosphere of a tiny or a gasgiant and it is destroyed automatically, it would simply not warn you about things happening, for example here's something that just came to mind. you could set it so if there is no equipment then there is nothin to send the message.

or also you could remove the population and make it so a computer does the work for them since those type of planets are very harzardous, and the computer would need equipment to run and to be maintianed

just an idea, not sure if it is good

vecna

Post by vecna » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:42 pm

someone brought up the instant enemy location without the enemy knowing as being overpowered. the quick fix would be to slap on a distance delay.

today you can send files over the internet to anywhere on the planet, but it still takes 2 minutes or so to download them. the spy satellites could have this transmission lag as well.

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:04 pm

Here is an idea respecting both the equeipment idea and lag idea.

The more equipment they have the faster you get the message.
And it has a slider saying "Radio strength"
and "sheild strength"

So youd have to balance everything to mak it effective.
Im in a rush someone else finish my idea lol

urablahblah

Post by urablahblah » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:59 am

/signed

Sounds good to me!

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:04 am

well a fix to having way to many and too keep sleepers around is to give them hp, i mean if im at war i dont want my enemy to know im there, if i take satellite they can take it back so y not nuke it? the reaserch base i think shoudnt be destroyed like that tho and capping it wouldnt change anything, the sysyem would still get the reasearch, so maybe all who are contracted or in the corp only get the research, or the owners applies name of corporations of people that the base works for, otherwise i think this is a great way to use them.

p.s. theres a trick i used with em, a while ago b4 i could fight, i made them a hiding place so i could hide out while sum 1 was lookin 4 me, no 1 ever thinks of the moons, they always laser the port and if theres noport they prolly thought ur on a colony. didnt know about the race track usage, dont forget the pod arena tho guys!