[IDEA] Emp Cannon

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:32 pm

Well, it's a bit of a thin line for internet forums in general, I guess. If I DON'T read the rules somewhere, I'll say something that'll just HAPPEN to violate some obscure section of some rule, and it'll be the autoban for me. If I DO read the rules and try to stick to them, I get crap for it. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

All I did was post an idea and he's been flaming me for it ever since.

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:33 pm

I actually didn't send any pms to anybody, and am willing to allow an admin access to my account here to prove that.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:35 pm

nukahn wrote:I actually didn't send any pms to anybody, and am willing to allow an admin access to my account here to prove that.
Why do you care what anyone is thinking of you?

Really, be glad you got them to think.
You singlehandedly did something they hardly ever (if ever) do in their lives: think.

Be proud! :D

ps: relaaaaaax

dirt

Post by dirt » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:36 pm

Kinda hard to do that when its in my inbox lil guy.

You started this whole flame business by insisting your point and countless replying, i would have posted once but you keep egging someone on and this is what happens.

Shall we go back to pm's or would you like to continue drowning out the topic till it gets locked?

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:37 pm

dirt wrote:Kinda hard to do that when its in my inbox lil guy.

You started this whole flame business by insisting your point and countless replying, i would have posted once but you keep egging someone on and this is what happens.

Shall we go back to pm's or would you like to continue drowning out the topic till it gets locked?
I haven't sent you a PM yet, nor do I intend to. You can take your pms and shove them up your arse.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:39 pm

dirt wrote:Kinda hard to do that when its in my inbox lil guy.

Yea! Nukhan is sooooo bad! He made you do it!

He should've just KNOW you're not responsible for your own actions. It should've been obvious to him that your species will need another few million years of evolution before reaching that "responsible" and "self-aware" state.

Stupid Nukhan!

dirt

Post by dirt » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:41 pm

And to mad. EXACTLY!!

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:13 am

Nukahn, simply ignore dirt. But the truth is, you are a little inexperienced, and we can see that through your posts.
Dirt, do stop, okay? You don’t want your reputation to get tainted.
And can a mod please clean up this thread for us?

I don't think this turret would imbalance the game if it does no damage. 25% speed is almost nothing, its only like the difference between 3 ig suits and no artifacts.

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:23 am

Then no damage is fine with me. I thought the purpose of the research lab was for new ideas, and then for other people to make suggestions to help refine those ideas, the end result being ideally something that's good enough for the developers to use. Instead what I got were a few people ready to crucify me as if I had set down my initial idea as being set in stone and would not accept any suggestions for change. But as a speed-reducing, no-damage turret, it wouldn't unbalance anything, just allow for more variety, new strategy, and a tough decision: Do you want the damage of laser cannons, or to sacrifice some damage for a slowing effect?

Luna

Post by Luna » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:39 am

ENOUGH already. Dirt behave!

I've already removed some parts of both of your posts. I'm not going to bother to edit them again. I'm going to just delete them entirely if you can't respect each others opinions and post accordingly.

Luna

:evil:

Sisqo

Post by Sisqo » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:02 pm

nukahn,your idea is not so good as you think.thats all i have to say about this .

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:15 pm

3 seconds slow down in a vulture = might as well get rid of the vulture ship .

Fighting on a planet is a challenge enough add a slow down on it = lets just invade while people are offline.

And if this idea is implemented me and probably 50 other invaders will be turning up on your planets.

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:19 pm

"your exicted, its your first invasion, your planned it for a while and put all your money into the attempt, the invasion goes well, then the invadee logs on, and puts the EMP cannons into space, you get slowed down and he nukes the hell out of you, Crap"

same thing on planet. take a few minutes to think about what you post, its a good idea in general but it wold seriously make planets hard to invade.

And 25% speed is ALOT when every second counts.
Instead of falming each other, try to OW3N each other by using facts to prove the other guy wrong!!!

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:06 am

McGrod wrote:And if this idea is implemented me and probably 50 other invaders will be turning up on your planets.
Wait wait wait, are you actually directly threatening ME if my idea gets implemented?

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:32 am

Dude. Just STFU ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111
Stop making things worse!
Dont make me throw you into the "YOU NOOB!!" pit!!!!!!

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:37 am

nukahn wrote:
McGrod wrote:And if this idea is implemented me and probably 50 other invaders will be turning up on your planets.
Wait wait wait, are you actually directly threatening ME if my idea gets implemented?
It's a figure of speech :) We said the same thing when a player named KiT proposed an idea about decaying artifacts.
Which will actually be implemented.
Damn him :D

Also obviously you want to defend your idea, and you are certainly entitled to that right. However, it's not the single best idea I've ever seen here on the forums. It won't descend from the skies and lead us all to a land of magical adventures where children dance and sing and clap their hands. It won't solve poverty or world hunger.

Quite frankly, if I was to sum up it in just one word, I would have to go with "meh".

It's interesting, but doesn't add much to the game and will create more problems than it's worth. Think of sliding past the cannons and getting hit by one of these suckers. Or warping into a system full of them and instantly dying to the owner because you can't outrun him. It will disbalance the gameplay, and that should be avoided as there are other more urgent balancing issues present.

I don't think you deserve all the scathing replies you've recieved, but try to see past the immature fits of anger and think about what provoked them instead. Obviously if you get so many negative comments it's not because your idea is super cool and everyone else is a complete moron. ;)

PS: Welcome to the forums :)
Last edited by Freakazoid on Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:39 am

What he said.

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:34 am

Freakazoid wrote:
It's a figure of speech :) We said the same thing when a player named KiT proposed an idea about decaying artifacts.
Which will actually be implemented.
Damn him
Yeah, that idea blew big chunks... Can't believe the admins actually wanted to implement it.
Freakazoid wrote: Or warping into a system full of them and instantly dying to the owner because you can't outrun him.
Never really thought of that :shock:. Maybe we should make it only usable on planets?

Jiachi
Location: Earth, vandalizing tunnels to keep the colonial flow going *shh, don't tell*

Post by Jiachi » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:13 am

Add these and they'll become standard on all planets. You'll probably need limits of 3-5 total per system to stem that tide, and then its just too much work. Barricades died to the same barrages of pessimistic flaming, and after a while here, even I can see why it had to. Good luck, but its going the way of the horse, and fast. :mrgreen:

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:54 am

What he said. :wink:

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:44 am

Well if they're such a big deal (I thought they'd be a minor inconvenience, just adding variety in turrets) why not make them MORE expensive? Same cost as laser cannons, or maybe even 10k or so MORE than that. Then, not only are you paying a higher cost, you're also sacrificing damage, for a weak slow effect. They wouldn't become the standard due to this, but maybe one or two might wind up on a planet, strategically placed.

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:47 am

sorry bro but i think they are right. as a habit i try my best to give everyone's idea a chance to succeed but honestly i can't imagine a lot of plp using this type of cannons. don't worry ideas here flow like a river you'll have your chance to grab a good idea one day :wink:

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:11 am

Dont encourage him!!!!

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:37 pm

Stklr wrote:Dont encourage him!!!!
Play in traffic, please.

feenix
Location: Join the SGE community in TeamSpeak, url: ygss.dyndns.org

Post by feenix » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:14 pm

nukahn wrote:
Stklr wrote:Dont encourage him!!!!
Play in traffic, please.
lol nukahn

as for what stklr said, everyone can get a good idea once and a while, it depends on whether or not someone else thought of it yet :P lol.

like me for example, i was probably the first to think of a minesweeper ship but everyone loves it so far and last i heard is moving into the list (unsure about this bit), and i even have the graphics laid out.

he'll have his day once, as long as he plays and becomes good at playing he'll find something is lacking and who knows may be his idea will be implented but sorry like i said a emp cannon isn't it.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:17 pm

nukahn take what has been said from those who are experienced in the art of invading.
Great idea in theory in reality it stinks.

No I just think im gonna hurt you for fun now :twisted:

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:54 pm

McGrod wrote:nukahn take what has been said from those who are experienced in the art of invading.
Great idea in theory in reality it stinks.

No I just think im gonna hurt you for fun now :twisted:
Bring it, then.

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:07 pm

nukahn, I think this turret will be pretty balanced on rebangs, but not permas.

I don't believe you've played permas. Credits are irrelevant on those servers, and basically you can have anything you want on them, with time. Since their effects are not cumulative, only one or two turrets per batch of cannons is needed. So basically you preserve 90% of your firepower even if you fully employ this kind of turrets.

They are even more deadly in space battles, if one grid up their system with lasers and c-mines in combination with those, you'd have a hard time surviving. Being hit by even one of the emp shots can make you vulnerable to nukes for three seconds (believe me, 25% speed is invaluable when you're dodging missiles)!

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:37 pm

name the perma sunshine

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:49 pm

yeah, I was actually thinking rebangs, with this idea. Perhaps it could be a rebang-exclusive addition?

And McGrod, Golden Age.