[IDEA] Emp Cannon

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

nukahn

[IDEA] Emp Cannon

Post by nukahn » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:23 pm

Name: Emp Cannon
What it does: Fires a low-strength EMP pulse at an enemy. Though not strong enough to knock out systems causing a drift, it slows the enemy ship down for a few seconds.
The EMP Cannon would do about half the damage of a flak cannon, possibly less. It would have identical range to a laser cannon, however the shots would not bounce. When hit with an emp shot, a ship's movement speed would be reduced by a percentage, possibly 25%, for three seconds. Additional hits reset this counter, rather than stacking the effect.

Cost: 30,000 credits per. Cheaper than a flak cannon, best used in combination with other defenses, to slow an enemy down and set them up for something big.

The emp shot could be visually similar to the Seth special weapon, and the turret itself could be a white/yellow recolored flak cannon.
Last edited by nukahn on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:20 am

/slap

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:54 pm

what?

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:13 pm

I don't think this is a good idea at all, such a weapon is impractical and would be too over-powered.
Imagine landing on a superwide filled with these, if they move at the same speed as a laser turret shot, landing on the far sides would mean death 50% of the time as you take a few hits before getting to the warp, and once one hits you the cumulative effect would stop u dead as you get pounded to death.
This would also eliminate sliding, a very important aspect of the game.

Bad bad bad idea, /slap.

Deathreape98

Post by Deathreape98 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:43 pm

/slap

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:44 pm

MastrIan wrote:I don't think this is a good idea at all, such a weapon is impractical and would be too over-powered.
Imagine landing on a superwide filled with these, if they move at the same speed as a laser turret shot, landing on the far sides would mean death 50% of the time as you take a few hits before getting to the warp, and once one hits you the cumulative effect would stop u dead as you get pounded to death.
This would also eliminate sliding, a very important aspect of the game.

Bad bad bad idea, /slap.
Well I can see from this that you didn't even read my suggestion in it's entirety before judging it.

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:46 pm

Ok scratch the part about stopping dead, but it would kill sliding which is unacceptable.
Still a horrid idea.

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:47 pm

It's a horrible idea because it conflicts with your personal play style, and would force you to come up with another tactic?

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:50 pm

Sliding is something that everyone uses and Toonces incorporated with the design of the game.

[IDEA] New users cannot use the research lab as they don't understand the mechanics of the game and how it works short and long term. Learn the game before thinking up ways of changing it.

Stklr

Post by Stklr » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:08 pm

I second that emotion.
/slap
Learn how to play before spouting out ideas!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:32 pm

Wow, you guys are downright dickish.

Thavy

Post by Thavy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:48 pm

its not dickish, its fact! Toonces gave a reason for sliding, not for someone to come up with it and find ways to stop it, thats what we have compound mines for, we dont need new defences like this, we need trickier defences, better offences, and more importantly, better overall gameplay, simple as that, your idea is honestly impractical, think of it this way, you land on a planet that you plan on invading, you find YOUR weapons firing at you and freezing you in place, your hugged, so yeah youd get pretty pissed off and then quit the game altogetehr, and then what are we left with, a quitters idea that has crippled the game. Think of better ideas, its good your thinking, but just figure something better, If you need help, read the forum SHIPS/WEAPONS/MISC. GUIDELINES topic at the top of the page

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:54 pm

You guys didn't even read his post entirely!

The emp cannon only reduce your speed by 25% and it does not stack with additional hits. I think this is a good idea and will be a good addition to the game as long as the emp shots do no damage.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:36 pm

I dont like the idea on the basis that right now it is still fun to fight on an enemy planet, with something like the idea suggested it would kill off some of the warfare thats left.

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:48 pm

Thavy wrote:its not dickish, its fact! Toonces gave a reason for sliding, not for someone to come up with it and find ways to stop it, thats what we have compound mines for, we dont need new defences like this, we need trickier defences, better offences, and more importantly, better overall gameplay, simple as that, your idea is honestly impractical, think of it this way, you land on a planet that you plan on invading, you find YOUR weapons firing at you and freezing you in place, your hugged, so yeah youd get pretty pissed off and then quit the game altogetehr, and then what are we left with, a quitters idea that has crippled the game. Think of better ideas, its good your thinking, but just figure something better, If you need help, read the forum SHIPS/WEAPONS/MISC. GUIDELINES topic at the top of the page
You sir, are an idiot.

The emp cannon only reduce your speed by 25% and it does not stack with additional hits. I think this is a good idea and will be a good addition to the game as long as the emp shots do no damage.
Like I mentioned, they WOULD damage, but at a low rate. Perhaps half or even a quarter of the damage done by a flak. This would increase defensive strategy, as you'd be sacrificing the higher damage of the other cannons to slow your enemy down.
Last edited by nukahn on Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkLStrike

Post by DarkLStrike » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:04 pm

I'm just voicing my opinion. I think it would be better that emp cannons inflict no damage, just to balance it up.

Inigox5

Post by Inigox5 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:37 pm

Well it's a good idea on the whole, but it's much too unbalance. Possibly one or two per planet, and a much higher cost with no damage.

This way, they could be placed in strategic positions and therefore stopping people from surrounding the landing zone.

AND

Definitely no damage.

It'd be way overpowered that way.

So...

Most people don't like it so it'll probably never be implemented but yeah, with a few tweaks, I'd find it acceptable.

dirt

Post by dirt » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:47 pm

I think with Planet's ore needed for the solar being reduced, we don't really need new defences, colonies have become extremly valuble on thier own and incredibly defensive. Adding new defenses would just make planets less invadable than they are now.

Also, imagin your in a vulture and dodging solars and one of them emps pings you. Like the vulture isn't slow enough already.

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:48 pm

The funny part is that every person who's voiced an opinion AGAINST it obviously hasn't even read my suggestion in full. It'd be a cannon that'd reduce your movement speed by 25% for three seconds. That's hardly unbalancing. The price isn't set in stone, I figured I'd start with a reasonable price and it could be adjusted based on others opinions. And the damage could be minor or not at all. Getting shot with one of these or with 20 of these wouldn't make you any slower or stop you, you'd still only lose 25% of your movement speed. The effect DOESN'T stack. Getting shot again or shot by another one resets that three second timer. Your speed would go back to normal three seconds after the most recent shot hits you. The price, I don't think, should be as high as laser cannons given that laser cannons do decent damage, and the emp cannons, if doing any damage, would be weaker than flak cannons.

dirt

Post by dirt » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:58 pm

Perhaps you should play the game a while longer before making posts in the research lab regaurding colony defense. I just don't think you have quite enough exp invading planets to understand what losing 25 percent of your speed will do. Especially with sliding.

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:00 pm

dirt wrote:Perhaps you should play the game a while longer before making posts in the research lab regaurding colony defense. I just don't think you have quite enough exp invading planets to understand what losing 25 percent of your speed will do. Especially with sliding.
And I think you shouldn't be making assumptions about my experience with this game.

dirt

Post by dirt » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:16 pm

perhaps you shouldn't make it sooo obviouse you have no game exp.
nukahn wrote:I love this game. I just got it via the free disc with a MaximumPC magazine a month ago, but it's pretty addictive. It's reminiscent of an old mac game I played called "Escape Velocity"

This game is a solid win in my book. You can play it on a fairly old machine (I USED to use a 10 year old pc, though I'm using a fairly high end machine these days) it's fun, it's FREE, but at the same time there aren't ads in it.

it'd be neat if there were more variety, in the ships and weapons, but it's still a fun game. But I guess that really should go in the suggestions section, eh?
ooooH Busted. Come on dude your talking to people who have been playing for 3-4 years vs. your month. You should trust us.
p.s. Escape velocity: nova was the greatest game ever! Actually bought that one.

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:25 pm

Dude, you're being a dick just because I haven't been at this game as long as you have. You're also basically saying I'm not allowed to have an opinion here because it contradicts YOUR opinion. Go take your holier than thou crap and shove it.

Mikal

Post by Mikal » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:30 pm

Give the guy a break , everyone has the right to voice what they think would be a good addition to the game

You also can voice your opinion but why do you need to be so offensive , if toonces has made the game so sliding is fun and possible he will not change it

dirt

Post by dirt » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:36 pm

WOah Woah Woah! Don't get all noobfensive and emo on us. All I'm saying is get a little more invading and game exp before you start getting all wacked out.

Also if you can't handle critisism don't post stupid ideas. lmao.

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm

dirt wrote:WOah Woah Woah! Don't get all noobfensive and emo on us. All I'm saying is get a little more invading and game exp before you start getting all wacked out.

Also if you can't handle critisism don't post stupid ideas. lmao.
I may be new here, but at least I can read the forum rules.
"Respond With Respect And Courtesy - If you dont like an idea, an insult toward the idea or the poster is not a valid response (unless you're just ragging on a friend for fun, then be my guest). Neither are a snide remarks, vieled insults nor calling the idea 'gay'. Simply state why you dont like the idea, what is flawed about it and how you would improve it. "

And I don't mind "criticism" but your main argument is that I don't have enough experience with the game to be allowed to post ideas here, which is I love puppies.

dirt

Post by dirt » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:06 pm

you called 3 people dicks and idiots already. And all your doing is digging a hole. Just give it up. You just joined and already your flaming and spamming cuz we don't like your idea. im gonna start calling you the new Talak.winstar.

I gave you my opinion. :roll:

nukahn

Post by nukahn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:13 pm

dirt wrote:you called 3 people dicks and idiots already. And all your doing is digging a hole. Just give it up. You just joined and already your flaming and spamming cuz we don't like your idea. im gonna start calling you the new Talak.winstar.

I gave you my opinion . :roll:
Three people that didn't actually read the entire thing before judging it, which was evident just based on them thinking that it was supposed to freeze enemy ships in their tracks, and you didn't give an opinion so much as say I wasn't allowed to HAVE an opinion due to being new. The only person who's actually been outright flaming here is YOU, you realize. Also, learn to spell, kid.

dirt

Post by dirt » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:19 pm

little guy, some day you'll understand. Probly won't be until you learn to think and not let people get to you so much. I hope that day finds you soon because with a noobish attitude like that, your not gonna get very far in this game. It's ok lil fella, don't cry yourself to sleep.

I'm sure our argument can be resolved in pm's so flaming the reseach lab doesn't go any further.

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:28 pm

Welcome to the forums.

I see you've already experienced that typical Starportian "tough love".

Trust me, in a while you won't want to do without it anymore.

Anyways. I read your idea. Thought about it. Not too much. Just enough. I don't like it. But meh, why do I have to like it?

So in stead of trying to convince you of something, here's some advice for inventing ideas:

Don't post something that has been posted a bazillion times before, or any variations.

New artwork is bad.

Make sure the devs don't see your ideas and think it's a great idea. They might waste their time actually implementing it in stead of fixing the game.

More does NOT mean better. More ships, more defenses, more skins, more planets, more avatars, more corp logo's, more monkeys in the barrel, more kinds of resources, more buildings, and so on and on and on will not necessarily make the game better. Most probably just harder to balance.

Changes/ideas need to have a point. Does the idea rebalance something? Does the idea add a feature that's so fantastic and so amazing that SGE can't possibly go without it? Or does the idea make any of the features already present deeper/better? If none of the previous 3 are applicable => don't hit the submit button.

And last but not least, the most important rule ever: DO NOT FOLLOW THE RULES SET FORTH BY THE ADMINS! Don't quote them either. People have been so consistent in avoiding the rules that they probably (even if only subconsciously) think you're an arrogant prick for following the darned rules.

Also, very important: Don't call people a waste of something. That's my line and I use it all the time. Don't steal my insults.

On the other hand I must congratulate you on your valiant and quite successful efforts of avoiding the censoring currently present on the forums.

ps: Don't mind dirt.