Need for some kind of penalty for laying weapons in space

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Zenn

Need for some kind of penalty for laying weapons in space

Post by Zenn » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:43 pm

I've notcied lately that there are a lot of players who put dozens of turret defenses in space (and near sol) to the point that if u left ur ship on auto pilot and didn't know about the cannons u'd get blown to pieces. A few players in the top 25 did this and the only way they are coming down is if they themselves removed them.

There should be a rule against this. I asked them why they did this and they said they simply had more cannons then they had colonies to put them on (they have at least 100+ colonies or more) so they littered the systems with them out of boredom.

Perrhaps u can give weapon defenses in space a lifespan of a few days maybe, or make it impossible to put them there in the first place.

Top ranked players have enough money, supplies, and resources to do whatever they want and make life even harder for newer players in the game.

something needs to be done.

Turkey

Post by Turkey » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:51 pm

-Turrets in space can be easily destroyed by a vulture or an avenger.
-Turrets in space get shot at and destroyed by passing NPCs, giving them an effective 'lifespan'.

Also, I anticipate you're about to get flamed into next year. Brace yourself.

m-boy

Post by m-boy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:43 pm

HAHAHA
get used to it every 1 else does

milo

Post by milo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:44 pm

lol this is a funny post so i'll try not to flame you, but don't leave your ship unattended when on auto pilot. it's the number one cause of newbdeath! :lol: and yea get used to it, it's part of the game.

squeemish

Post by squeemish » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:24 pm

I don't think there should be a penalty, but you should at least be able to know who placed the space weapons. The anonymity emboldens some to engage in such lame tactics. By letting everyone know who placed the mines and turrets those players risk their reputation being damaged (real rep, not in-game rep) and risk being hunted for their actions.

As for a technical solution on how to accomplish this: You don't want to spam the chat log with the owner each time you get hit, nor do you want to wait until ship death to find out the info. The best option is to list the hardware's owner for the 1st hit. Don't list the owner again until you are hit by another player's hardware or until you have warped. This is similar to the invasion warning you get when trying to land on a planet - it won't repeat if you were just there.

Maniacus

Post by Maniacus » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:29 pm

Whereas I don't see a problem with defenses in space. There is a growing problem.

A few have discovered that they can lay out these defenses in patterns that are racist, or otherwise offensive.

If found Email the Admins at support@playtechtonics.com They can then log in and remove the defenses from those systems and deal with the players that set them up.

Include server name, and system name in email.

Jiachi
Location: Earth, vandalizing tunnels to keep the colonial flow going *shh, don't tell*

Post by Jiachi » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:52 pm

Turrets aren't a problem. Mines, maybe, but turrets? Nerfed a dozen times over already, there are ways around them and NPCs devour walls regularly. :mrgreen:

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:01 pm

Autopilot suggestions..101

1. Don't fly holding coffee or hot beverages

2. Open your eyes

3. Don't leave the room to do ANYTHING, if you do the one time you do you'll automatically fly into system maxed with defenses and you'll get a surprise trip to SOL.

4. BH are annoying, so refer to #2.

NPC do a great job of removing defenses left in space. If you laser it...they will come...trust me. I've filled 10 systems in the past full of defenses to slow down invasion, and logged in 8 hours later to find half of them missing. When you have a starter low level ship you just have to pay attention and avoid systems with them. I understand your frustration but they do serve a purpose.

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:07 am

When the npc attacking lasers patch was introduced I lost 15 laser walls within 30 minutes. It's fine the way it is.

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:52 am

Luna wrote:Autopilot suggestions..101

1. Don't fly holding coffee or hot beverages

2. Open your eyes

3. Don't leave the room to do ANYTHING, if you do the one time you do you'll automatically fly into system maxed with defenses and you'll get a surprise trip to SOL.

4. BH are annoying, so refer to #2.

NPC do a great job of removing defenses left in space. If you laser it...they will come...trust me. I've filled 10 systems in the past full of defenses to slow down invasion, and logged in 8 hours later to find half of them missing. When you have a starter low level ship you just have to pay attention and avoid systems with them. I understand your frustration but they do serve a purpose.
hahaha good one Luna xD
this thread is funny.. if anything space defenses should be more powerful :Þ

dirt

Post by dirt » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:20 pm

Luna wrote: 3. Don't leave the room to do ANYTHING, if you do the one time you do you'll automatically fly into system maxed with defenses and you'll get a surprise trip to SOL.
Exactly how i lostthe 1st igs i ever bought. Just popped up for 30 sec's to walk my gf to the door and give her a smooch. That was before you got reimbursed tokens.

And dude, space lasers are a major part of the game. For defense, offence, and massivce wars. If you should come across lasered systems go 20 hops in anydirection away from them.

Not to mention if you get bored you can always arrange them in an offensive pattern, like a D*ck, S*astiK*, B*oobs, and many other fun and annoying designs.

Theres been many a days i was bored in nh and put a sword through the sun around about every system south of sol. the news was awsome those days.

milo

Post by milo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:26 pm

this thread is funny.. if anything space defenses should be more powerful
i agree, a turret on a planet has nearly double the strength of one in space when the military is maxed.

btw what is the turret regen rate for turrets in space?

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:34 pm

MuTAnT wrote:When the npc attacking lasers patch was introduced I lost 15 laser walls within 30 minutes. It's fine the way it is.
I had a lazer wall last for well over a month one time...

but that is just a rare instance they usually will be destroyed within a few days.

Turkey

Post by Turkey » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 pm

On the second day of the First Black Hand War, I put up a laser wall in one of my systems. Over half of it's still there.

:D

Micool

Post by Micool » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:35 am

Kinda relevant:
I remember this practical joke I did on P4 with turrets in space when I had a couple of spare flaks. Its kinda similar to your idea of making a p**** out of turrets in space. I put up a beacon next to a jumpgate saying "Warning, Laser wall." or something along those lines, and on the other side of a jumpgate I put my 2 spare flaks and a beacon saying "Gotcha, Courtesy of Micool" or something along those lines.

Shame it was pwned by the first person who came across it.