artifact markets

Ideas for improving Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

milo

artifact markets

Post by milo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:45 pm

If I understand correctly toonces is going to make artifact markets when the artifact patch comes out. I don’t know how they are going to work or if toonces has even decided on that yet. If he has not yet decided on a design for them, this is how I think they should work.

First of all the artifacts markets should be supplied by players not like the way resources are supplied to ports. Otherwise flying around looking for artifacts will become like killing aliens for resources, pointless.

I suggest that there are 8-12 markets per galaxy. They should be located in un-space near the spaceports. (2-3 by each or something like that)

The following equations could be used to determined the prices at which the artifacts are bought and sold.

S = M(1-(.8T)/N)
B = .8(S)

S = sell price (in millions)
B = buy price (in millions)
M = max value (in millions)
T = total artifacts (of given type) in stock
N = max amount of artifacts (of given type) the market can hold

*note that if N = T the market will still purchase artifacts but N will not increase accordingly. When N = 0 there are no artifacts in stock so none will be sold

These equations work on basic supply principals. The more of any artifact in stock the cheaper it will be to buy and vice versa. They also establish a max and min price for both buying and selling the artifacts. Further more they create a 20% profit margin for the market. (which isn’t necessary for the market) However it generates a price range where a buyer and seller can both get a better deal buy trading directly. This is good because it maintains the importance of player interaction that the market system would otherwise threaten

Example:
Superconductor

M = 20mil
T = 10 units in stock
N = 40 unit max

S = 20mil*(1-(.8(10)/40)
S = 20mil*(1-(8/40))
S = 20mil*(1-.2)
S = 20mil*(.8)
S = 16mil

B = .8*16mil
B = 12.8mil

The difference between B and S is the profit margin that player to player trading can exploit. For instance say player 1 has the superconductor which he can sell to the market for 12.8 mil. Player 2 needs a superconductor but doesn’t want to pay the market 16mil for it, so s/he hails player 1 and offers to pay 14mil for the one they are selling. So they both get a better deal, and might not even have to travel as far either. This margin also allows for haggling (if toonces plans on including it) which goes up to 15% off, which is not enough to be able to cheat the system by buying and selling artifacts to and from the same market (which is yet another reason for the margin). . The size of the margin is entirely up to toonces but I suggest something between 15%-40%. The larger the margin the more incentive players have for trading with each other.

Over all the market system is a good establishment especially since artifacts will soon have lifespans. It keeps artifacts available even when there isn’t a seller online and vice versa. If the supply is player bases (which I insist it should be) then there is another way to make money other than trading resources. It would also be a quick way of getting cash on rebangs which would help lean the games back toward building because the players could get them money to rush buildings and buy defenses more easily.

Maniacus

Post by Maniacus » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:50 pm

Interesting idea, but half the fun of artifacts is finding them and trading them... If you could just buy them then they loose all real value.

Perhaps instead a simplified bartering system in the trading menu to auction off artifacts where anyone can chime in and bid... An auction at the starbases would be a cool twist on your idea.

duece

Post by duece » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:58 am

Maniacus wrote:Interesting idea, but half the fun of artifacts is finding them and trading them...
there is no fun in finding artifacts... its a very repetitive fuel wasting process.. im for some kind of back up market if toonces' vision fails...

Talak.Winstar
Location: In Space, contemplating how exactly to negate the crappy events of OMD and BND story arcs.

Post by Talak.Winstar » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:00 am

YES! Toonces is implementing another of my ideas! SWEET! THANK YOU TOONCES!

milo

Post by milo » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:16 pm

Interesting idea, but half the fun of artifacts is finding them and trading them... If you could just buy them then they loose all real value.

Perhaps instead a simplified bartering system in the trading menu to auction off artifacts where anyone can chime in and bid... An auction at the starbases would be a cool twist on your idea.
as to the first part, i have a hard enough time finding a seller right now and as soon as they get lifespans there's gonna be alot more people in the buying buisness, so as much as i agree with you i think it is going to be necessary to have a place where you can get artifacts that were found by people that arn't on at the same time as you. it will be a good way for newbs to get cash too.

i think an auction like system would be cool too, but from what i hear that's not the way toonces was planning on making the markets. i could be wrong though. yea so it would be cool to drop off your arti's at a spaceport and give a price you want them to sell for, then just go on your way, and having someone be able to buy your arti from you while you are off line. this would be pretty balanced too i think because if you price your arti too high no one is going to buy it so the competition will automatically regulate the prices.

either way sounds good to me. if my orrigional idea is what they use i hope the margin is large, like 40%.

i don't even know if toonces has decided on a way to implement this anyways, though.

milo

Post by milo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:29 pm

bump

what i really wanted to know was what is how is toonces going to make the markets work?

MuTAnT

Post by MuTAnT » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:20 pm

All will be revealed when he hits you with the patch one day.

Talak.Winstar
Location: In Space, contemplating how exactly to negate the crappy events of OMD and BND story arcs.

Post by Talak.Winstar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:30 pm

milo wrote:

as to the first part, i have a hard enough time finding a seller right now and as soon as they get lifespans there's gonna be alot more people in the buying buisness, so as much as i agree with you i think it is going to be necessary to have a place where you can get artifacts that were found by people that arn't on at the same time as you. it will be a good way for newbs to get cash too.

i think an auction like system would be cool too, but from what i hear that's not the way toonces was planning on making the markets. i could be wrong though. yea so it would be cool to drop off your arti's at a spaceport and give a price you want them to sell for, then just go on your way, and having someone be able to buy your arti from you while you are off line. this would be pretty balanced too i think because if you price your arti too high no one is going to buy it so the competition will automatically regulate the prices.

either way sounds good to me. if my orrigional idea is what they use i hope the margin is large, like 40%.

i don't even know if toonces has decided on a way to implement this anyways, though.
If toonces is implementing the artifact market to the specs of my idea, then there should be one planet devoted to an artifact market in each of the four systems where the starbases are.

milo

Post by milo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:46 pm

kewl can you post a link? so i can review what origional idea of it was?

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:32 pm

I kinda like the idea of the auction better..... perhaps it should be like an auction/just sell it... that way the more desperate people that are willing to pay more will have a chance to get it...