BUG-Fix Immediately. Galaxy of Life

Report bugs for Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Dark.Cloud

BUG-Fix Immediately. Galaxy of Life

Post by Dark.Cloud » Wed May 23, 2012 3:26 am

Solar cannons aren't firing at people who have cloaks. We're losing colonies rapidly, awesome.

If thats how it is supposed to be then thats stupid because that means there is no purpose in having a solar cannon, please fix asap.

Galaxy of life is the server the problem has arisen.

Wrapper

Re: BUG-Fix Immediately.

Post by Wrapper » Wed May 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Aye, this needs to be fixed as lots of people have lost a lot of colonies to this bug (us included :) )

Moleman

Post by Moleman » Wed May 23, 2012 11:36 pm

Would not be surprised if this is a new feature rather than a bug.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Thu May 24, 2012 3:00 am

Then this is a horrible feature.

omlow

Post by omlow » Thu May 24, 2012 6:14 am

Mel'Kaven wrote:Then this is a horrible feature.
maybe battle scanners could be a new building for planets?

Caia

Post by Caia » Thu May 24, 2012 8:10 am

Working as intended. Builders have had it too easy for too long. Time to give invaders a small buff to even things out. :lol:

Dark.Cloud

Post by Dark.Cloud » Thu May 24, 2012 11:24 pm

Caia wrote:Working as intended. Builders have had it too easy for too long. Time to give invaders a small buff to even things out. :lol:
That makes no sense?

Invading quicker than building.

And that would mean there is no purpose to the solar cannon. Might as well just have undefended planets.

Luna

Re: BUG-Fix Immediately. Galaxy of Life

Post by Luna » Fri May 25, 2012 2:17 am

I dropped Toonces a PM and let him know he has an urgent issue going on with Galaxy of Life. It's in his hands now.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Fri May 25, 2012 6:58 am

Luna wrote:I dropped Toonces a PM and let him know he has an urgent issue going on with Galaxy of Life. It's in his hands now.
Thanks for your consideration, Luna.

While this did begin as an unintended bug, I thought it was a cool idea to help cloaking be almost as powerful as surface missiles in invasion. So I kept the effect to a small degree. Military level of the colony does matter.

dragonz

Post by dragonz » Fri May 25, 2012 8:03 am

And why do we need cloak for an invasion? Especially on a server with large corp max? This is lame and I will never build/invade a planet as long as this is element remains. :?:

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Fri May 25, 2012 8:13 am

Well dragonz my argument would be that it increases the variety of strategies in invasion and defense. I'm sorry that it disrupts the current understanding of strategies.

BardockSGE

Post by BardockSGE » Fri May 25, 2012 8:36 am

Toonces wrote:Well dragonz my argument would be that it increases the variety of strategies in invasion and defense. I'm sorry that it disrupts the current understanding of strategies.
So basically it was an intentional 'bug' to hug with us and see how the worms squirmed before you actually released the real patch for it. Just like the time the servers were rebanging and it magically came to your attention that you should start killing old dead servers.

You are so full of poop it's amusing. Why you gotta go and hug with things that don't need to be hugged with? And here we go boys and girls. Starport enters a new meta of cloak and sm all your colonies to death to win the game. Great work toons. Have fun with this garbage of a game everyone else, /peaceout.

This game will NEVER HAVE BALANCE. Ever.

Saber-Fury
2011 Pax Champion

Post by Saber-Fury » Fri May 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Toonces wrote:Well dragonz my argument would be that it increases the variety of strategies in invasion and defense. I'm sorry that it disrupts the current understanding of strategies.
I'm not sure how it is now, but having the solar turn off entirely to cloak is more than a 'bonus.' any bonus for cloak should be very small indeed, maybe randomly 5 seconds out of every minute the solar shoots backwards?

that last part is what you've position has been about every change for the last 3 years. That they disrupt strategy now, but people will adapt to them. That in itself is true. People can and will adapt. Like they adapted to mods

However, it's not a question of IF they can adapt, it's a question of why should they have to endure adaptations which they don't enjoy? That's a rhetorical question though because the answer already exists, and it is the declining playerbase. After every patch which is done for no reason just to change it up, or that adds a random, unwanted, annoying feature that you feel somehow improves the quality of the game (asteroids?), people quit, and they aren't replaced.

You have said that all the complaints about the game are simply due to the fact that everyone believes it was best when they first started playing. OK, fair enough. Let's test that theory: where are all the newer players defending their love of the existing game? If the older generations are just bitter, where is the newer generation of players that loves the game? Well let's find out:

Players who have STARTED PLAYING in the last 3 years, and actually stayed around as an active member of the game/community in some shape or form: <100, probably less

Players who have STARTED PLAYING in the 3 years before that, and actually stayed around as an active member of the game/community in some shape or form: 500+, probably a lot more

These are just my estimates, everyone on these forums probably would agree to the general trend, and I'm sure you have your own data on it and know just how bad it's gotten.

Yes, there are some people who still enjoy/support the new patches. But they are holdovers from an older era, and while they may be old players, for every 1 of them there are 5 others who feel the opposite. The truth is that there has been no generation of new players who have stayed in the last 3 years, just handfuls and loners here and there. Hell, dragonz is probably the newest player who has established himself and is active on SGE, and even he doesn't like this patch!

Bottom line

Unwanted and unnecessary patches cause the older players to quit and leave, resulting in a desolate game that new players do not stay long on.

dragonz

Post by dragonz » Fri May 25, 2012 6:30 pm

The thing that disturbs me most is how it was added within two weeks of a new server with out considering the repercussions it would have to the community at large. Strategy you say? Please enlighten me what is so strategic about taking a colony with no solar? I am surprised that flying through walls hasn't been a factor added also. Anyway I am excited to see some epic, non-solar, cloaked, noob caps!

WeGotDeathStar
Location: Mr.Angry's House Drinking His Beer Watching Captain Kangaroo Re-runs

Post by WeGotDeathStar » Fri May 25, 2012 11:32 pm

Problems like this only push players to non-mod servers in order to get as close to old gameplay as possible. If the solar s don't fire at cloaks then it's only fair for lasers not to shoot just like they do in space.

Mr Cow

Post by Mr Cow » Sat May 26, 2012 2:29 am

Change. All i have to say is change, Change is what ruined this game, not change itself, but UNFUCKINGNECCISARY change. Why on earth, after years, YEARS, of this game being good, did we decide we needed mods? and why, after years, do we RANDOMLY. NEED. MORE. CHANGE. Why in gods name would you just decide to make cloak work on cols, does ANYONE want this? I saw this in the news and i was so confused as to why this would happen....i hope somethin happens...-cow

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Sat May 26, 2012 9:59 am

Enjoyed reading PJ's post as always. Would also like to point out that 4/5 years ago, a single post from Toonces would turn a thread into 10 pages on discussion.

I think the biggest mistake about introducing a modding a system, was not the implementation, but the fact that a new version of the game wasn't released. Making such a global change to the rule system can only be really done under a new start. As for the previous set of rules, that should have been left as a retro server/client. That way previous players wouldn't have had to adapt so much to a new game, but given the freedom to participate in newer version.

That said, I can understand the fear of the developers at the time of how this new system might have failed in favour of the old. So everyone was forced to adapt. The question here however is:

How does the developer look at the game? And what does he use it to do?

Two very personal questions.