FPS AND LAG SPIKE ISSUES

Report bugs for Starport:GE

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna

Jedi

FPS AND LAG SPIKE ISSUES

Post by Jedi » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:02 pm

Okay, so i been playing starport for about 3-4 years now, and as fun as it can be, its really starting to annoy me now that my fps is below 30 *normally 26-27* and its causing me to get screen freezes, which normally result in death as im an invaider and it happens alot on cols im invaiden, but yet some nights i play it goes to 31 my miliseconds latency stays at 207 and i can invade and cap DD' s n BBQ perfectly fine solo, how do i improve my fps any answers would be greatly appreciated, im usin an acer Aspire 5741 with an intel core i3-350m processor 3 gig ddr3 mem with 320 gb hdd which has barely been touched its now its been like this for ages i even resulted to building which btw is not much fun.... :/ thanks for your help really facking annoyin..
May the force be with us all!
RedEyeJedi

Toonces
Site Admin

Re: FPS AND LAG SPIKE ISSUES

Post by Toonces » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:36 pm

There are several things you can try to fix the issue of Low Frame-rate:

Low frame rate means your computer's CPU having to do too much processing. Try shutting down all other applications besides Starport and see if the problem persists. Try using the cntrl-alt-del processes window to sort applications by CPU usage. This might indicate a program that is hogging too much of the cpu or memory. Run a virus scan such as AVG anti-virus which can be downloaded from download.com. Finally, try rebooting Windows.

If the problem persists another good avenue to try is re-installing your video card drivers from the website of your video card manufacturer. Find out who makes your video card, such as NVidia or ATI, etc., and go to their website and download the correct drivers for your model of video card and the version of Windows you are running (xp, win7, etc.). Re-install these drivers after you finish downloading. Also download and re-install DirectX drivers from Microsoft. Now reboot your machine again.

Find out if your system has free RAM available. If the computer doesn't have enough RAM (memory) Windows can become very slow because it will use the hard drive as memory which is slow. So find out if your computer has enough RAM and if it doesn't the solution could be to get more ram, or shut down more processes besides Starport.

One other thing you can try, particularly if you have a video card made by ATI, is locate the file called client.cfg on your computer. It will usually be on your computer's C drive in the directory c:\program files\StarportGE or whatever directory you installed Starport to. Locat teh file client.cfg and open that file in Notepad. Add a line of text to that file that says:

offscreen=true

Save the file and try running Starport again. You could also try offscreen=false instead if you want to experiment. You can also try switching between Full-Screen and Windowed modes because that could have an effect as well.
If the problem continues to persist, you may have a slow computer, or there may a bug in your driver.

Jedi

Post by Jedi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:49 pm

thanks toonces, i downloaded avg tune up 2012 and new virus protection i did everything u mentioned and tbh it still happens maybe not as much but im losing countless tokens to igs's because of it lol. :lol:
Anyhow i did this client.cfg opened it with notpad and saw that offscreen=false was set so i changed it to true to see if it helped you asked me to write a line of text what would i write i am not too familiar with programs and dnt really know too much about that but i appreciate all your help!
Thanks again!
RedeyeJedi

Jedi

Post by Jedi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Heck i even resorted to changing windows 7 to classic mode and changed 20 different reccomendations to fit preformance based on the avg tune up's advice and i even changed the preformance of the laptop to preformance instead of graphical!

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:02 am

Hmm, well let me know if these performance problems persist and I'll keep working with you to find a solution.

Toonces
Site Admin

Post by Toonces » Thu May 17, 2012 2:39 am

The offscreen=true setting has changed a bit. If you have consistent slow frame rate right from the start of playing, then the setting to try is:

offscreen=false

You can perform this possible fix in the way described above, adding this line of text to client.cfg and saving it out in your Starport directory.