[Software] SGE Colony Managment Calculator V1.0

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

Do you like this program?

- Yes, great program, thx!
48%
- No, it sucks, you waisted your time.
21%
- Yes, but it needs some updates though.
31%

Total votes: 84

Nightmare

[Software] SGE Colony Managment Calculator V1.0

Post by Nightmare » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:02 pm

Nightmare is proud to present to you, the first working colony simulator program!
Based on Turkey's spreadsheet I made a Java program that will calculate population and moral growth when population stabilises.

This program includes:

- A read-me file.
- A handy GUI.
- A save function (this will save all output to a .txt file).

Screenshots of the GUI:

Special thx to Turkey, who gave me his formulas, and for beta-testing, also thx to Rojo for beta-testing!

Download ColonyCalculatorV10.jar

EDIT: Verison 1.1 : Download ColonyCalculatorV11.jar

EDIT: Version 1.1.2 :
http://rapidshare.com/files/46915772/Co ... orV112.jar

Installation:

- Use the link above to got to putfile.
- Click on "next" untill you can download the archive file (.jar extension)
- Download the file.
- Double click on the .jar file you downloaded and the program will start.
- Stand on the .jar file with your mouse pointer and click on the right button, click on "extract here" this will extract the archived .jar file into a couple of small components, one of them will be the READ-ME file. (You can delete everything else that is extracted)

If you have any comments or feedback feel free to post here.

Should you run into any kind of problems downloading or running the program, pm me or post a message here.

Future updates will/might include:

- Slidebars for construction, research, military and harvesting.
- Pollution calculation.
- Harvest rate calculation.
- Entertainment influence on moral and population.
- Updates to the GUI based on user reviews.

Nightmare
Last edited by Nightmare on Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rojo

Post by rojo » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:35 pm

I love it, still using the old version one...lol its awesome I look forward to the future versions :D

Staker

Post by Staker » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:53 pm

Sold... Ill pay you with pay pal 2000!

Ivory.
Location: UK, England, Europe, Earth, Sol System, 11th Dimension

Post by Ivory. » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:31 pm

Hi Great Program,

There is a problem with spelling: Anaeroobs, on the box tick section is spelt wrong

most ive got to although has saved a lot of recently captured cols tyvm

cya round

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:19 pm

Indeed, one "o" when plurial, didn't know that, and "es" at the end of course :P, thx for the feedback.

Nightmare
Last edited by Nightmare on Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taxidriver351

Post by taxidriver351 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:20 pm

Nice... 8)

rojo

Post by rojo » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:24 pm

Nightmare wrote:
Special thx to Turkey, who gave me his formulas, and for beta-testing, also thx to Rojo for beta-testing!

Didn't see that the first time, woot!!

Talak.Winstar
Location: In Space, contemplating how exactly to negate the crappy events of OMD and BND story arcs.

Post by Talak.Winstar » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:34 pm

Cool, now you are paying Toonces royalties for all cash received since your device is made for his game right? :P :shock: :lol:

Elemayo

Post by Elemayo » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:04 pm

Kick donkey

DionysuZ

Post by DionysuZ » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:05 pm

Talak.Winstar wrote:Cool, now you are paying Toonces royalties for all cash received since your device is made for his game right? :P :shock: :lol:
cash? the download is free

rojo

Post by rojo » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:36 pm

Nah I can really see this program getting more and more helpful as time goes, adding military, production rates, resource rates, etc at time goes on. I honestly see this program as a must for all serious SGE'ers during the coming months as Nightmare pours more of his time into it.

Really a good program man, keep up the good work. Also well done Turkey on the formulas, you must be pretty smart as well.

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:47 pm

I allready made GUI slidebars for construction etc. (which I had never used before lol, newbie me :) )

If I would just find the mental strength to do research and come up with formulas... I managed to figure out most of Turkey's formula alone, except for those sub-totals, that was wack. But construction, pollution, etc. is A LOT easier I think.

If anyone has any ratios (avg/colonist would be cool) you can mail/pm me them with a clear description what precisely they are and I'll get to programming it in :wink:, OF COURSE you will be credited for them.

And I don't have to pay anything cuz I made freeware, would be stupid to ask for money, I don't need it and then I would prb have to read through a shitload of sun legal documents so I can make sure they don't sew my donkey :roll:.

I'm just an 18 year old newbie programmer trying to help the community + I love programming, especially in a Java based enviroment and it's also a great way to learn new things on my own, could come in handy that I have staid bussy programming all summer when I college starts again in Septembre :P

Nightmare

Talak.Winstar
Location: In Space, contemplating how exactly to negate the crappy events of OMD and BND story arcs.

Post by Talak.Winstar » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:11 am

now, now, I am joking... of course I know its free. :P

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:19 pm

If anyone is willing to help me: I need some formulas for pollution, construction speed and resource production on colonies.

Should you chose to send me info (useful, helpful and accurate info :P) I will include you in my credits of course.

So if you're bored and want to make yourself useful you know what to do, thx in advance!

Nightmare

Relentless

Post by Relentless » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:49 pm

If you wish to get numbers/calculations etc just ask b1odome.... he may not speak English fluently but he knows his numbers as far as I can tell.

Josus

Post by Josus » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:01 pm

AWESOME

all this time i thought u were inactive because u were gonna quit and it turns out ur making this! Double victory for Josus xD

Gd luck with the later versions

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:54 pm

Ahhh good old b1o, he's a good friend, he's from Greece, great country.

Yeah problem is, I'm good at programming but not so good at researching and getting numbers, + pollution seems to have a base calculation that is based on planet type -.- (making things a lot harder).

Nightmare

Biodome

hi

Post by Biodome » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:19 am

as my card says already i am not a macro :P

i dont calculate things a lot but i can choose after lot experiments the best choices for me depending what exactly i need evry time

at p5 my project is simple : i tried to have empire-wide profitable colonies also with 110+shots and as good solars i can get ...

my score there right now is 26 colonies - 300k people - daily taxes of 80mil$ - polution30mil$ // fuel for maintenace under 700 /day (220 loads between colonies mostly inside same system)

congrats nightmare - i checked this nice tool a bit - for people want just stable colonies is accurate enough / :wink:

/salute nightmare , have fun all people around :)

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 pm

Thx b1o :P, I'm doing my own research, I think I have the base pollution factor for oceans, when I feel very bored I will log in and try to find out the ref3 factor and the harvest factor.
If I have to get the basefactors for all planets first I will have to sell ref3's everywhere, and I'm not into the "resource running" game :roll:, pollution upgrade should be expected by the end of the week.

Nightmare

MadAce

Post by MadAce » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:04 am

hug, you stole my idea. ;)

Sticky in launch pad.

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:15 pm

Thx MadAce :)

I was running into some problems with pollution (The basefactor for planets is exponentional, don't break your head trying to figure out what exactly that means, it just means that pollution is a I love you man! to calculate)

Both population and moral were linear but pollution is proving to be quite the challenge :P, however it seems like I'm making progress :D

Now I just need a couple of beta testers that would be willing to check if my program calculates pollution correctly, pm me here or just leave a message that you want to do it.

Rojo allready signed up :P, I plan to launch beta version by the end of the week.

Nightmare

rojo

Post by rojo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:43 pm

Rojo allready signed up , I plan to launch beta version by the end of the week.
I'm just psyched about that 10k tokens your paying me to beta-test...how sweet is that :D

rojo

Post by rojo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:42 pm

Eh, I wasn't sure if I told you NM but I'll be out of town for a week, not sure if I'll be in a wireless hotspot or not so might have to get someone else to beta test for ya...you can always email it to me tho and I'll see if I get it in time, rojostarport@gmail.com.

Someone battle Madace while I'm away, Kb and a-c-e, good luck and hope you get unbanned. If that thread turns into a flame-war, lock it down luna.

Later folks

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:09 pm

Np Rojo, I'll prb have to delay the update anyway because pollution is alot harder to decode than I anticipated since everything seems to affect everything I will have to do more research before I can release I reliable version.

On a more positive note: my calculations are off less than 0.01 when calculating pollution on planets I know the formula for :P

Nightmare

rojo

Post by rojo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:30 pm

I'll drink to that 8)

See ya in a week everyone...if not sooner

*prays for wireless*

BUMMER

Post by BUMMER » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:03 am

Hi NM,

the calculator sounds cool, but I'm having problems starting it.

I'm using Vista Business 32 bit and Java 1.4.2_12 (can't use a different one unfortunately). Extracted the .jar into a separate folder called "SGE calc".

1.) your README says to double-click on the .jar "SGE colony managment calculator" - that file doesn't exist anywhere

2.) if I double-click the downloaded "ColonyCalculatorV10.jar" I get the error message: "Could not find the main class. Program will exit"

What's wrong here?

Thanks in advance,

Bummer

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:07 pm

BUMMER wrote:1.) your README says to double-click on the .jar "SGE colony managment calculator" - that file doesn't exist anywhere.
Yes sorry my bad, I had to use a different name to upload to putfile (cuz the name SGE COlony Managment Calculator is too long) and I explained it a bit confusing, double clicking "ColonyCalculatorV10.jar" is the right thing to do in order to start the program.

Weird, unfortuantly you have Vista (ouch), the original file you download BEFORE extracting is the actual program, so you have to double click it BEFORE extracting it and it should work.

The error message you're getting indicates that there is either no main class in my program (and there is, you're the first one to run into this problem) or that your computer can't find the main class.

My advice? Mm though one, someone who had another problem managed to fix it after having downloaded (and installed) winrar but I suspect you allready have that program since you could extract my .jar file.

Try reinstalling winrar (or download and install it if you don't have it), if that does not work try reinstalling your JRE (Java run time enviroment), or try to get JRE 1.6.0 (The one I use).

I'm no vista expert at all so I can't really help you more, sorry if it doesn't work, I'll update the software in the near future so if it still doesn't work after doing all the above wait till you see me making an "UPDATE!" post and try redownloading my software.

Good luck, and tell us what you did to fix this problem if you fixed it.

Nightmare

BLADE2

Post by BLADE2 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:48 pm

That'd be me, I had the problem. Thanks for the help Nightmare. It works great now!

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:07 pm

Great news :D, guess what people, the influence on ref3 on pollution is DIFFERENT for EVERY planet type, the same also applies to harvesting.

Know what that means? Houres and houres of mind killing, boring research ahead of me just to get pollution for every planet type!

Yeay for sarcasme.

Here's a screenshot of the updated GUI:

Nightmare

Nightmare

Post by Nightmare » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:18 pm

UPDATE!

Version 1.1 launch:

Download ColonyCalculatorV11.jar

- Added menubar
- Read-me file can be read in the program and without having to decompress the .jar file.
- Pollution can now be calculated on all planets with or without refinery level 3, harvesting does NOT give correct results YET (accpet for oceans).
- Church of Earth is taken into account but only works if you don't have a refinery level 3 (or harvest because like mentioned above, that doesn't work either YET).
- Added comment in the source code (Only handy/visable for me, the developer :wink:).

That's about it, the fault marge is 0.01 pollution/day, if you think that's too much then perform your own research and enlighten me how to do better.

Feedback would be handy.

Nightmare