Foul Mouthed Kids

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

User avatar
viper714
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:47 am
Location: Earth

Foul Mouthed Kids

Post by viper714 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:58 pm

So what is it with the young ones coming into the game and calling people everything but, Human ? If my child ever spoke like this I would remove their teeth with the back of my hand. Am I Wrong ?

User avatar
mentalbutcher
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:03 am

Post by mentalbutcher » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:10 pm

Nope, generally parents should start parenting.

petertje

Post by petertje » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:34 pm

yes, using "foul language" is no reason to destroy someones face.

User avatar
Luna
Posts: 1873
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:09 am
Location: The Galaxy of Life

Post by Luna » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:59 pm

In all likelyhood the computer is located in the safely of the "childs" room. The parents aren't probably hearing or seeing how they behave online. Online games don't require they behave as they might in real life. Games tend to take on an alter-ego life of their own at times.

The community itself is the best monitor for in game conduct. If no one tells them they are out of line then they will likely continue to behave that way. If the community doesn't like what they are being called a few "therapy poddings" may be required to re-educate them in manners. If that fails to work, putting them on /ignore is a great way to solve foul mouthed people.

When no one in game is still speaking to them, I'm sure they will get the hint it's not appreciated. Younger players tend to think it somehow makes them appear "tough". Instead it just makes them appear uneducated, without class and just plain morons.

~Luna~

User avatar
MegaMan
Posts: 638
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:24 am

Post by MegaMan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:07 pm

When I first started playing I thought the players behaved far more rudely than any other game I'd played, and my /ignore list grew pretty fast. I think that was just the day I was playing, because since then it hasn't been too bad. Haven't had to /ignore anyone in a while.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d259be348b

Ran into that a while ago, this makes any kid look like an angel. Note: this is a video that has been rated M for language.

User avatar
Genesis
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:45 am
Location: Behind you with a plasma knife.

Post by Genesis » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:35 pm

Unfortunately, some have superiority complexes or just enjoy brewing up a fight. Especially since most of them I know are wusses, insulting from the protection of a starport. Thankfully, repetitive insults directed at a specific individual is harassment and is a bannable offense, so those trying to be jerks to everyone or someone in particular many times can be reported and defaced- er, banned from that server or receive a warning. Further misconduct isn't tolerated and is a permaban, methinks.

RedLeader

Post by RedLeader » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:31 pm

Image

User avatar
Genesis
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:45 am
Location: Behind you with a plasma knife.

Post by Genesis » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:48 pm

Unfortunately, that's pretty much true in some cases.

User avatar
(MSR)Peace
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: MI, USA

Post by (MSR)Peace » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:33 pm

Starport is the most civil game I have ever played online by far.

... Thats rather sad in some ways...

User avatar
Genesis
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:45 am
Location: Behind you with a plasma knife.

Post by Genesis » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:47 pm

Especially for massive server populations, such as World of Warcraft, Guild Wars (oh my gosh, Guild Wars was infested with pervs, creeps, and foul-mouthed careermen); some still have good communities warding off uglies (MapleStory), and some are in question (Star Sonata). WoW, especially, has a large population of males who play as female elves and give the race a bad name by acting like jerks.

User avatar
pbhead
Posts: 841
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:15 pm
Location: below tin, next to bismuth

Post by pbhead » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:27 am

(MSR)Peace wrote:Starport is the most civil game I have ever played online by far.

... Thats rather sad in some ways...

quoted for truth...

User avatar
Ailiwen
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:53 am
Location: Glenville, WV
Contact:

Post by Ailiwen » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:50 am

MegaMan wrote:When I first started playing I thought the players behaved far more rudely than any other game I'd played, and my /ignore list grew pretty fast. I think that was just the day I was playing, because since then it hasn't been too bad. Haven't had to /ignore anyone in a while.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d259be348b

Ran into that a while ago, this makes any kid look like an angel. Note: this is a video that has been rated M for language.

Jeesh...if that was my kid, I'd backhand him. Can you say, "Military school"?

Tux
Posts: 1827
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:46 pm

Post by Tux » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:54 am

Ailiwen wrote:
MegaMan wrote:When I first started playing I thought the players behaved far more rudely than any other game I'd played, and my /ignore list grew pretty fast. I think that was just the day I was playing, because since then it hasn't been too bad. Haven't had to /ignore anyone in a while.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d259be348b

Ran into that a while ago, this makes any kid look like an angel. Note: this is a video that has been rated M for language.

Jeesh...if that was my kid, I'd backhand him. Can you say, "Military school"?

Haha, that and unplug the internet for a week, hell, a month.

User avatar
mentalbutcher
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:03 am

Post by mentalbutcher » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:18 am

MegaMan wrote:When I first started playing I thought the players behaved far more rudely than any other game I'd played, and my /ignore list grew pretty fast. I think that was just the day I was playing, because since then it hasn't been too bad. Haven't had to /ignore anyone in a while.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d259be348b

Ran into that a while ago, this makes any kid look like an angel. Note: this is a video that has been rated M for language.
OMFG! I would have turned his mouth into blood soup, why are there so many parents out there that are allowed to have kids, when they can't raise a potato right.

Tux
Posts: 1827
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:46 pm

Post by Tux » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:38 am

I took these tests in high school last year, they are required to graduate by my district, easiest things I ever did... anyway they made us write a few essays, one of which the prompt was something like "Do you think the increase in bad behavior in teens is caused by the media/games/etc?" or the like. To make a 500 word essay short... "No the media isn't affecting the behavior, the general decline in morals of the people is affecting the media, the general decline in the morals of the people is partly a result of the laws, 100 years ago if a child tried to get away with even the slightest misbehavior that they do these days, that go without notice now, they would get their asses beat raw, and they would remember that lesson... as a result they were much better well behaved overall, these days if you lay a hand on your child you are committing child abuse, if you send them to their room without dinner, child neglect...." Or something to that effect. It is very much true that there really aren't many effective punishments left. Without discipline, children grow up like... and without effective discipline options... yeah.

User avatar
mentalbutcher
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:03 am

Post by mentalbutcher » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:52 am

I say hug it, smack your kid in the donkey if needed, punish them by sending them to their room, it is needed, children don't have any discipline these days. For crying out loud, we have 10yo's that are beating/harassing their teachers, we have schools here, where no teachers will teach because of the children.

You can discipline your child in other ways than beating it, but as you say, then it will be punished as neglect/cruelty/supressing freedom and all that crap...

User avatar
Genesis
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:45 am
Location: Behind you with a plasma knife.

Post by Genesis » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:28 am

In all actuality, kids inherit the actions/traits of their parents; their anger builds, and they want to take it out on somebody if what Mental said was what he does (I feel sorry for his kids, I can see him chasing them with a lawnmower or pitchfork xD) or any other parent. They should opt to having a calm talk, see what went through the kid's mind, etc. I'm no psychologist, but it's proven to help over brute strength and violence.

User avatar
mentalbutcher
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:03 am

Post by mentalbutcher » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:07 pm

Hehe, i never endorsed voilence myself either XD My point is though, that kids need a set of rules, but they don't help if they are not enforced. First time a kid acts up, you just count to three and give them a good whap in the donkey. The next time you count to three, they know that they have crossed the line. But you do not need it to come to that as long as they are young, because you are mentally superior to them.

You can make them know the have done sometihing bad you don't want, by putting them in their room, ignoring them, or one of the better yelling their donkey of. If some angry shouting won't get to them, the shock will.

I'm way too young to have kids, if i'll ever have some genesis XD

User avatar
Genesis
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:45 am
Location: Behind you with a plasma knife.

Post by Genesis » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:08 pm

I don't have kids, but half the people I know say that calmer situations builds good habits and such, like kind words to your kid reflecting what he says. Or, he could say he hates his parents and wants them to burn. Most of the time, it's better off with the former. But how did this go from swearing mental 5yo's to parenting advice? (PS: the other half of people I know are crazy. They whack their kids with friggin oar paddles. Someone should shoot them. xD)

User avatar
mentalbutcher
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:03 am

Post by mentalbutcher » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:22 pm

No idea genesis XD
Hahaha, oar pads XD

aweiss
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:57 pm
Contact:

Post by aweiss » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:13 pm

Genesis wrote:I don't have kids, but half the people I know say that calmer situations builds good habits and such, like kind words to your kid reflecting what he says. Or, he could say he hates his parents and wants them to burn. Most of the time, it's better off with the former. But how did this go from swearing mental 5yo's to parenting advice? (PS: the other half of people I know are crazy. They whack their kids with friggin oar paddles. Someone should shoot them. xD)
Lol your violent yourself

User avatar
milo
Posts: 844
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:58 am
Location: wouldn't you like to know
Contact:

Post by milo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:17 pm

if you want to succede in this game i found that as a rule of thumb that you should avoid harsh language. there are only a few people that i know that can get away with it. i learned this the hard way... one day i loged on and found that 2 of my 8 zounds had been taken by .seth on p1. the next time i say him online i chewed him out (using lots of inappropriate language) and not only has he been ignoring me for over a month the next time i logged on i found that BM had taken every last one of my cols.

i learned the hard way so give yourself a break and keep the anger off the game.

User avatar
MegaMan
Posts: 638
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:24 am

Post by MegaMan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:24 am

That's one of the things I like about the game.. being diplomatic definately works to your advantage. Like CC says; the players are what makes the game. :)

User avatar
mentalbutcher
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:03 am

Post by mentalbutcher » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:13 am

Yeah and the players make the rules :)
I think i am liked on my server, but i am also in the top 50 corps XD
But still we usually have some laughs in the shouts :D

MorteshDoomLord
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Post by MorteshDoomLord » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:00 pm

i'm nice :) i only mouth off if i am antagonized.

User avatar
Jwilson6
Posts: 1609
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:27 pm

Post by Jwilson6 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:02 pm

It has recently become illegal to hit ur children where I live... I find they are less behaved and attentive when they know you can't touch them :( Thats why I haven't told them yet :D

I can't believe the retarded liberal bastards who made that law :x

User avatar
Freakazoid
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Neverwhere

Post by Freakazoid » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:35 am

There are foul-mouthed kids online because...well only a kid thinks obscenities are funny :) And of course the fact that you'll never meet the person you insult in real life adds to the temptations. I group this together with prank calls, except insulting someone online is much easier because internet is more impersonal than any other form of communication.

By far best remedy for this kind of behaviour is /ignore.

User avatar
dirt
Posts: 843
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:58 am
Location: Not playing SGE
Contact:

Post by dirt » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:37 pm

Freakazoid wrote:There are foul-mouthed kids online because...well only a kid thinks obscenities are funny :) And of course the fact that you'll never meet the person you insult in real life adds to the temptations. I group this together with prank calls, except insulting someone online is much easier because internet is more impersonal than any other form of communication.

By far best remedy for this kind of behaviour is /ignore.
I have to disagree with the first part, i find that many young adults / adults think obsenities are funny. Kids are just more likly to use them as they don't know any better.

petertje

Post by petertje » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:26 pm

Eh...this discussion is a year old. Oh Morteshdoomlord again... sigh.

There are no filthy words, only filthy minds that think they are clean of their thoughts if they ban everyone from saying some words.

I can't say hug or penis here, but I can say hug. It is not the obscenity of the word that is the problem, because I can say words like 'merdre' 'lul' or 'puta' and they are as obscene. You know where I am going with this? Well do you? Oh ok...no point on going on then.


EDIT: :P I can say penis. Penis.

User avatar
MadAce
Posts: 4280
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:12 pm

Post by MadAce » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:53 pm

Petertje is right.

The actual word isn't important.

Who cares if I say fuc|< or smeg or frack? The meaning is exactly the same.


SMEG YOU ALL!!!!!!

Post Reply