Planet Layouts(pictures) and Black Hole Maps

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

Jwilson6

Post by Jwilson6 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:42 am

Ok I just did some revisions I started at the end I made it back to 20 ill edit in some more later, let me know what you guys think
Tifi wrote: 20. Telltale Heart

Just about everyone build thier colony at (1) on this map, & i can't for the life of me think why.....
Sure it has lots of room, but has pretty bad solar cover & invaders can hide from turret fire in the passages.
(2) is a much better place, with a nice clump of rock to hide the dome behind it only takes a few turrets to discourage the 'casual' invader, whilst (4) pretty much requires a full set of turrets.
You can fit a dome at (3) but don't. Ever....
Its very close to the landing, so close in fact you can't fit any turrets inbetween the dome & the invader. This is bad.

agree
21. Superwide

This layout demands a full set of defences as quickly as you can manage, as the landing area is utterly huge.
However, this seeming weakness can actually be a surprising strength as sometimes your would-be invader will land quite far away from the warp point, and if you have turrets all accross the gap at (3) then things could well become amusing (for the defender anyway).
(1) (2) & (3) are the best places due to the solar cover, with (3) probably being the best although the hardest to defend you can concentrate all your defences in the immediate area.
Pretty much forget (4) as its too far out for the solar to be useful near the landing.

1- once you take out the wall on the right it can be nuked fairly easy
2-bad solar covereage
3-better than the others but you can slide the lz pretty easily and once you've done that the back of the dome is usually extremely vulnerable
4-way too far away from the lz and hard to defend
I've seen it on left side before and its caused me some trouble, but this was before I learned the groundbreaking procedure, I'm not sure how much easier it would make it though.

22. Diamond Passages

(1) and (2) are the most commonly used spots as they give good coverage and have a decent amount of room for turrets.
(3) is okay but a bit far away from the landing, whilst (4) is both far away and has a limited amount of space. Forget it.
(5) can be pretty good as it has the best coverage, its the only site that can cover the whole landing with solar, the others can't quite reach thier respective opposite sides :wink:
And you can cram all your turrets in front of the dome making for a pretty lengthy invasion.

I agree with that
23. Long Island

If you can manage it, try to get your dome with all its turrets at (1) as all the other sites are vulnerable to long-range sniping (especially (2) and (4))

I can agree with that, although I don't think 3 is all that bad 1 is prolly better

24. Beehive

Go for (1) or (2) here, as both give good coverage and you can build the dome into the defences.
A lot of people still use (3) but its very vulnerable to sniping as that stepped wall will shield attackers from most turret fire.

I agree with 3, its extremely easy to take 3 and as an invader I love to see those domeplacements because it doesn't take long to cap.
2 can be hard if done right, if done wrong it can be vulnerable to slider fire,
but 1 is definitely the best because of the amount of lazers a normal invader would have to go through to make the cap.

25. Antennae

None of the positions here are especially great, most people tend to go for (2) and cram all the tunnels to bursting with turrets, and its not really a bad choice as (1) has poor solar cover and both (1) & (3) have little islands to hide behind.

I prefer 2 on this one with multishot solars because the arrangement of the passages make it harder than any of the other positions to dodge the solar.

26. Diamond Maze

The usual places to set up are (2) (3) and (4), all give plenty of room for turrets and passages to hid behind as well as halfway decent solar cover.
(5) isn't very good as the islands can block most of the turret fire making invasion that much easier, while (6) is both small and too far away from the landing.
(1) is a nice place to set up, especially near the top of the diamond as it gives good solar cover and allows you to concentrate turrets in one area.

I would go with 2 or 3 on this one.

27. Three Way

Its hard to go wrong with this map.
All areas give a decent amount of space and the overall small size means solar cover is good everywhere.
(1) offers arguably the best solar cover of any layout and plenty of room to clog up with turrets.
You can even set up your dome in one of the wide passages if you really want, but i'd go for one of the wider spaces for maximum turret annoyance.

I like 1 the best for defense on this one because it offers great solar covereage and can be difficult on high military to shoot from the left without getting pummeled with nukes, and if you want to go to the right you have to go through a lot of lazers to get there.
personally I would never even think of 2 as a spot, its too close to the lz and is vulnerable (compared to all the other spots) from every side.
On 3 if you come up from the bottom it acts like a funnel for nukes
same for 4.

28. Coral Island

Theres plenty of good spots here, as well as plenty of not so good ones...
The best are (1)(2)(3) & (4) as they're all fairly close to landing and so give good cover, although (4) is somewhat cramped.

(6)(7) & (9) are thouroughly average although they have plenty of room for turrets.

I seriously would'nt bother with (5) or (8 ) as they can both be sniped very easily by anyone with even a fraction of patience from behind those ledges.

Personally I think 2 is the only good spot on this one,
I've invaded 1 before and theres too much room to fly around dodging fire while you shoot at the lazers.
3 can be a bit difficult as you have to fly between fire at the dome and at the lz inorder to shoot at it.
Ive had plenty of expereince with 4 and I have never found it to be any problem even on 10 shot full solar it has never caused the slightest problems for me.
for 5 you just need to fly back and forth and nuke or torp just a few at a time and you can usually get back before you lost too many shields.
6 isn't too hard to snipe because of the large area to dodge fire at...
7 can cause a bit of difficulty because the nukes tend to get caught on that wall but again there's quite a large area to dodge fire from.
You have to cram the dome in at 8 which doesn't leave much room for lazers so it doesn't take long to get to the dome and once you do its usually not too hard to cap.
On 9 the little wall there can catch nukes if you nuke from the bottom, but if you nuke from the top than it acts more like a funnel for the nukes.

squeemish

Post by squeemish » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:33 pm

Classic, RoF and CW maps are in the Wiki now.
http://www.starportgame.com/wiki/index.php/Black_holes

-Crypto-

Post by -Crypto- » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:32 am

All of the dome placement shots were deleted off photobucket...
:(

toast

Post by toast » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:29 am

That should show all of the old layouts...but no new ones.

Edit: sorry i dont have individuals so its kinda hard to see. And i dont remember where i got the pic...stole it off of some site i guess. Or maybe its on here somewhere /shrug.

BLADE2

Post by BLADE2 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:05 pm

you dark overlord you

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:54 pm

how would u go about piecing together a map for a pic ne way, just photoshop screenies of the minimap together? theres a better way than that isnt there?

BLADE2

Post by BLADE2 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:52 pm

Cheesy wrote:how would u go about piecing together a map for a pic ne way, just photoshop screenies of the minimap together? theres a better way than that isnt there?
that's about the only way i can think of doing it

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:56 pm

BLADE2 wrote:
Cheesy wrote:how would u go about piecing together a map for a pic ne way, just photoshop screenies of the minimap together? theres a better way than that isnt there?
that's about the only way i can think of doing it
hmm... well that new little ring layout is about all you could get me to do, imagin a 10 120 rocky on that thing XD

milo

Post by milo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:45 pm

yea i've put together a few of the new ones in ms paint and it a real pain in the arse but it's the only way i know. however there might be some potential in panaramic photo splicing programs. i have a few such programs so i'll try it out.

-notorious-

Post by -notorious- » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:12 pm

whats the best way to put them together? cuz i know the mini map isnt big enuf to display the whole map, just peice it together like a map with 4 or 5 different screenies on the mini map?

RiveraK2

Post by RiveraK2 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:37 am

Great tutorial; I used it back when you first posted it. It really helped
me own when I played.

glory

Re: Planet Layouts(pictures)

Post by glory » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:42 am

we need to update this guide for all of the new layouts....... :roll: :roll: :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:34 pm

How many new layouts are there?

gamanche

Re: Black Hole Maps

Post by gamanche » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:42 pm

we need a map for Hercules Cluster

pewpewpew
Location: In mah uber dreamsower, shooting nukes at you by the dozen.

Post by pewpewpew » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:23 pm

thanks these maps help alot

JoeLewd

Re:

Post by JoeLewd » Thu May 14, 2009 2:29 am

yeah new maps sounds good to me

C_SB_PC

Post by C_SB_PC » Sat May 16, 2009 9:16 pm

isnt there a bh map generator somewhere around? o well probably got pruned

imperiex-prime

Post by imperiex-prime » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:39 am

umm.... i cant see half the maps your talking about, it says photobucket removed or deleted them, thats stupid that you talk about the maps and how to defend them but i cant even see what your talking about because there is no map. plz fix it so i can actually see the pictures because this is aload of crap that i cant even learn how to defend colonies cus people dont know how to post pics.

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:27 am

I didn't see this map layout including with the new ones.

Blur3

Post by Blur3 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:26 pm

o.O

Cheesy010

Post by Cheesy010 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:36 pm

imperiex-prime wrote:umm.... i cant see half the maps your talking about, it says photobucket removed or deleted them, thats stupid that you talk about the maps and how to defend them but i cant even see what your talking about because there is no map. plz fix it so i can actually see the pictures because this is aload of crap that i cant even learn how to defend colonies cus people dont know how to post pics.
dumbass, photobucket deleted them awhile back, plus why dont you look at the dates of these posts, if ur gonna go yell at anyone yell at photobucket.

imperiex-prime

Post by imperiex-prime » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:14 pm

im not mad at anyone for deleting except photobucket, im mad that noone will fix the pics, i cat see them so whats the point of try to tell us about stratagys if you cant see them, thats what i meant, you must have misunderstood me.

imperiex-prime

Post by imperiex-prime » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:35 pm

other then that, good post.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:49 pm

imperiex-prime wrote:im not mad at anyone for deleting except photobucket, im mad that noone will fix the pics, i cat see them so whats the point of try to tell us about stratagys if you cant see them, thats what i meant, you must have misunderstood me.
This is a 3-year old thread! chill out!

You don't even have a CLUE how much work it takes to compile these maps. Grow up and stop complaining.

DirtMonitor

Post by DirtMonitor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:53 am

Can anyone post the explination list again with the reference pictures so that readers are able to understand the post. That would be cool.

MastrIan

Post by MastrIan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:39 am

DirtMonitor wrote:Can anyone post the explination list again with the reference pictures so that readers are able to understand the post. That would be cool.
I have some of the pictures but they are mostly irrelevant now. Those suggested dome placements were for when there was only 1 shot solars, drag didn't affect solar and no cmines. People dome very differently now so knowing how people domed in the past isnt very useful.

imperiex-prime

Post by imperiex-prime » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:45 am

wow, i dont remember who did, but someone posted most of the map pics that were mentioned at the start of this thread, some 3 years ago, it really helped, id like to say thanks to you, but i cant remember your name lol, also, people please drop it, some people want to spam saying to grow up cause im annoyed that the pics are outdated and nobody has fixed them yet, so what? not like im saying this thread is a waste, get a life and stop spamming saying shut up to me, wasting so much time.