A Guide to the Usage of FRAPS

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

NightstarRage

A Guide to the Usage of FRAPS

Post by NightstarRage » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:59 pm

Have you seen those amazing videos on Youtube of Starport GE? Have you ever wondered how they did it? Really? Well now you can too! Using FRAPS, a video game recorder, you can record all your triumphs in invasion and building, perhaps even to display glitches you find in the game. Well here is how!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well firstly, let's get through the basics.
In order to do this, you must have the following...

FRAPS - http://www.fraps.com/setup.exe
DirectX 9, DirectX 10, or DirectX11
A Modern CPU (Pentium 3 or Higher) *Basically, if you bought your computer after 2003, you should be fine.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Once installed, using the link provided above, open FRAPS. Windows 7 and Windows Vista user's will have to right click and "Run As Administrator."

If you set it up correctly, you should see something like this...

To test if FRAPS is working correctly, open Starport and you should see a yellow number in one of the corners of your screen. In windowed mode, the corners of your screen translates to the corners of the window.

Now close Starport.

Now return to the FRAPS window, and let's begin setting up this wonderful program.

Firstly, if you used the download link provided, you have acquired a demo version of FRAPS. You CAN pay for it, but either way, it doesn't matter. The free version can only record in 30 second intervals, while the full version has no limit of recording length. *Please note, if your version is 3.1.2 you will not have the Display Status on LCD option available to you.*

Here are the settings your going to want to have under the general tab.

[ ] Start FRAPS minimized.
[X] FRAPS window always on top.
[ ] Run Fraps when Windows starts.
[ ] Moniter Aero desktop (DWM).
[ ] Minimize to system tray only.

Now we have arrived to the not-so-important FPS tab.

For less advanced users, benchmarking will not be important, therefore your settings should match the following.

[ ] FPS
[ ] Frametimes
[ ] MinMaxAvg
[ ] Stop benchmark after [ 60 ] seconds.
[ ] Hide overlay
[ ] Only update overlay once a second

Do you remember when you say those yellow numbers in the corner when you opened SGE? Using the Overlay Corner box, you can choose which side you want those same numbers on.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Next we have arrived on the VERY important Movies tab.

Here you can choose where you want to output your movies too. You can either Change it or View the directory for easier access. By default it will be C:\Fraps\Movies.

Next, by clicking the "F9" section, hit the button you want to record with. I use F5, but other people may not. Be careful not overlap the record button with existing SGE buttons.

Under Video Capture Settings, always use Full-size.
Now, we are going to refer back to those yellow numbers. Do you remember on average, what they were? Click the button that shows your number followed by FPS. If your number isn't there, type it in at the bottom. 30 FPS is a very common option, even if your fps wasn't that. I also suggest you [X] Lock framerate.

Under Sound Capture Settings, click in the checkbox that says recording Win7 sound, or anything it says there. Always use Stereo.

Finally use the following

[] Record external input
[x] Hide mouse cursor in video
[] Force lossless RGB capture (may be slower)

If you have any questions, simply post below. There's how to record video with FRAPS.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

lambcakes

Re: A Guide to the Usage of FRAPS

Post by lambcakes » Wed May 12, 2010 1:08 am

When I use Fraps, I don't lag very bad onscreen. But when I look at the product, the gameplay is extremely choppy and it skips lots of frames. Is there any way to fix this?

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Fri May 14, 2010 12:37 am

yay im gonna go use fraps right now!!!

Major

Post by Major » Fri May 14, 2010 5:18 am

fraps cause quite a some folks to be banned. now we just dc upon cap cause you cant cap with any lag. ...thanks attention seekers.

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Tue May 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Major wrote:fraps cause quite a some folks to be banned. now we just dc upon cap cause you cant cap with any lag. ...thanks attention seekers.

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:10 pm

Fraps is complicated enough to need a user guide?

nine-breaker

Post by nine-breaker » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:12 pm

nine-breaker wrote:Fraps is complicated enough to need a user guide?
I was using it the same day i downloaded it :P

I even have the full version on 2 computers.

P-i-m-p

Post by P-i-m-p » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:52 pm

nine-breaker wrote:
nine-breaker wrote:Fraps is complicated enough to need a user guide?
I was using it the same day i downloaded it :P

I even have the full version on 2 computers.
fail :roll: