Questions

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

Silentmob

Questions

Post by Silentmob » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:19 pm

Alright here's a couple of questions I've had..if anybody could answer them please.

1. What happens when you don't give a colony organics or something similar?
2. How do people find sleepers to kill?
3. Are greenhouse colonies any good?
4. If I'm next to my mine when it explodes, do I take any damage?

thanks that's all the questions I have now. I'll just the rest I have in a post later

MastrIan

Re: Questions

Post by MastrIan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:57 pm

Silentmob wrote:Alright here's a couple of questions I've had..if anybody could answer them please.

thanks that's all the questions I have now. I'll just the rest I have in a post later
1. When a colony doesn't have the 4 consumable resources it will shrink depending on the planet type, volcanics will shrink more, earth-likes will shrink less. Finding the right balance of resources to have your colony produce will take a lot of practice to get your colonies to stabilize. Research and tinkering with partial consumption can play a big part in this.

2. When someone is offline and they are killed they go to sol. Taxes are assessed every hour in UN-space and you are charged in credits your experience minus reputation, so eventually most characters are kicked out of UN-space and typically they are booted to the systems just outside of UN-space, this is where most people sleeper hunt.

3. Are greenhouses any good? I suppose that depends on who you ask, their original purpose was for rebangs where you build the ion tower and people scanning can't detect them. Now a days they aren't really important in that aspect as most people don't build GH's on rebangs as their growth rate is pretty bad. However on permaverses they aren't that bad defensively, they have very high drag and can make invading them harder, especially with full military.

4. If you are in the blast radius of an exploding mine you will take splash damage from it, even if it is your own mine.

M2-Destroyer

Post by M2-Destroyer » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:47 pm

Silentmob wrote:Alright here's a couple of questions I've had..if anybody could answer them please.

1. If you do not give your colony Anaerobics and/or Medicine, then the population will not grow, more than likely, it will shrink instead. If you do not supply Organics and/or Oil, then colonist Morale drops - If colony morale drops then so will your population.

2. Players can purchase Neutrino Scanners at a Starbase. These work by pressing Alt+T to scan a system. All measurements are displayed in Tons, and sleepers are normally over 200 Tons, maybe 211, 220 or something similar. However, it would be privvy to note, that as Compound Mines do NOT disappear after a colony is abandoned, it is easy to confuse CMines with Sleepers as there is no way to distinguish between which is which from space, when they both weigh around 200 tons.

3. Greenhouse planets are good. They are not brilliant, nor are they terrible. A greenhouse planet is better for people who have a little more experience building, as they require a little more Micro-Management when it comes to resource injections and harvesting. A greenhouse does redeem itself as it's special building (The Ion Tower) disguises the colonies presence and if someone scans the planet, it will register as 0tons. However, this can give away the presence of a colony in a Permaverse as no planets are 0 tons.

4. This depends on how close to the mine you are. Like MasterIan said, you will get splash damage, depending on your position in relation to the mine. You will not sustain the full amount of damage that the person who detonated the mine did, but receive damage you will.

Please feel free to ask questions, the majority of people here will be happy to help.

Regards

Myk

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:48 am

M2-Destroyer wrote:

1. If you do not give your colony Anaerobics and/or Organics, then the population will not grow, more than likely, it will shrink instead. If you do not supply Medicine and/or Oil, then colonist Morale drops - If colony morale drops then so will your population.

2. Players can purchase Neutrino Scanners at a Starbase. These work by pressing Alt+T to scan a system. All measurements are displayed in Tons, and sleepers are normally over 200 Tons, maybe 211, 220 or something similar. However, it would be privvy to note, that as Compound Mines do NOT disappear after a colony is abandoned, it is easy to confuse CMines with Sleepers as there is no way to distinguish between which is which from space, when they both weigh around 200 tons.

3. Greenhouse planets are good. They are not brilliant, nor are they terrible. A greenhouse planet is better for people who have a little more experience building, as they require a little more Micro-Management when it comes to resource injections and harvesting. A greenhouse does redeem itself as it's special building (The Ion Tower) disguises the colonies presence and if someone scans the planet, it will register as 0tons. However, this can give away the presence of a colony in a Permaverse as no planets are 0 tons. It will not display 0 tons, will display only the amount that aliens display as if there were no defenses or colony on surface.

4. This depends on how close to the mine you are. Like MasterIan said, you will get splash damage, depending on your position in relation to the mine. You will not sustain the full amount of damage that the person who detonated the mine did, but receive damage you will.

Please feel free to ask questions, the majority of people here will be happy to help.

Regards

Myk
Fixed^^.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:46 am

greenhouses make low pollution, which is awesome in permas. the drag makes sol range very limited, so only certain layouts are good defensively. the not being scanned thing doesn't matter in permas, because no one bothers to scan in permas where every planet is colonized. this is why i think ion towers need to scramble the radar while invading instead.

Camaril

Post by Camaril » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:06 pm

what if another person mine pops while your near it? i know you will lose shields but will you lose energy?

Mel'Kaven

Post by Mel'Kaven » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:25 am

Camaril wrote:what if another person mine pops while your near it? i know you will lose shields but will you lose energy?
yes you energy will be raped along with ur partners, this is why some people phail at mine tricking :/

Camaril

Post by Camaril » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:00 pm

ty