Hello and Goodbye

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

WinstonSmith

Hello and Goodbye

Post by WinstonSmith » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:25 am

Just letting you people know that I Downloaded SGE on Sunday of this week.

Never played it before; never even heard of it until last Saturday. But it looked like fun, so I tried it. And I regret trying it.

As I suspected would help, I started out playing on one of the Newbie servers and was thoroughly disappointed. Each day (for five days), I signed in and found that I had been destroyed (despite reasonable precautions to hide in 'protected' space) and had to start over again. The fourth and fifth sessions, I had my colonies invaded and all my work was trashed despite playing hard enough to rush build defenses.

I'm sure some of you people enjoy 'PK' style games ... but this is more than a bit ridiculous. If you want SGE to grow in popularity and become more fun for yourselves, you have to accomadate multiple play styles, no pander to the 'PK-ers' ... maybe even slight the PK-ers somewhat.

So after just 5 days of inhabiting my hard drive, SGE has been removed, and I will advise my friends to avoid SGE due to this fact.

Have fun blowing each other up, but you can do it without me.

Good-bye.

Major.Arse

Post by Major.Arse » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:14 pm

there is a non-pk server for beginners.

BlackNova

Post by BlackNova » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:46 pm

Heres some facts for you:

Protected space (u.n) does protect you fully, if you can pay the tax.

The tax is your experience - reputation (plus reputation if your evil) if you cant pay it, you get booted.

Ports are the same, but are usually only 4k per hour. Your safe there.

You must build a solar cannon and defences to make your colony un-invadeable, otherwise it will easily get taken.

You must follow these points, otherwise you will get killed and invaded.

There is also "pax" servers which dont allow you to be invaded or killed, but you cant get people from earth in sol (only from ports) and the biodomes are much more expensive.

MegaMan

Post by MegaMan » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:42 pm

... "pandering" lol

Mal

Post by Mal » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:27 pm

I think I quit for the same reason about a year ago... but the game is just too unique and fun to quit for good.

I know its a helluva frustrating to loose all your colonies, especially if you put all your eggs in one basket.

Blacknova gave some of the best tips in the whole game.

-You need a solar for your colony to be viable.
-Ports and UN only work if you have credits to pay the tax.

Some of my advice would be:

-build far away from sol/starbases if you are building your main colonies (Building practice near sol is fine)

-If you are colonizing, you want +rep so you can get colonists from ports. Otherwise you get stuck like me having to cannibalize neighbors to start colonies

-No matter how good your defenses or system is, planet layout is key. (Some planet layouts have a single path to the dome and are solar-distract immune, and others have built in nuke traps in the walls.)

Again there are some AWESOME guides in the forums. Use them!

Turkey

Post by Turkey » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:15 am

Heheh, noobies :lol:

avitohol

Post by avitohol » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:58 am

Lol if you want a server go to fw - chat a player called nomad or anyone who's in zion* - and i most cases they will give you money and leave you alone.

Otherwise this game is very heavy on the pk side. Thats why pax servers for pve exists.

TT

Post by TT » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:16 am

I don't understand why newbies have such struggles. When I first started I started several newbie servers and just kinda screwed around learning things. I didn't even attempt to build cololnies or anything.

After I learned the basics of the controls I read the guides in the forums and also the wiki.

The first galaxy I played from begininng to end I earned a silver. The competition in most rebangs are non-existant really, I don't understand what these guys are complaining about...

Burnout

master3bs

Post by master3bs » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:18 pm

Plus, how many times did he die? If he just joined, doesn't he get 15 kills? Maybe he got shot down and sent to sol with newbie protection and didn't realize it.

I generally try to help new players on the game when I find them, but alas I cannot help but say:

heh. noob.

toast

Post by toast » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:21 pm

/idea:

read the pedia, and maybe even the wiki. if you read that and still think the game sucks, go play runescape.

Otherwise dont clutter the place up with "i hate you" posts.

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:11 pm

I would suggest you try this game once more. This time, try a permaverse and ask large players to teach you how to play. that is about all I can say.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:23 am

I think if someone has that little spine or intelligence its a good thing he did not stick around.

Catfish

Post by Catfish » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:35 am

McGrod wrote:I think if someone has that little spine or intelligence its a good thing he did not stick around.
QFT

JoeLewd

Post by JoeLewd » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:08 pm

I always try to help new players get established having both pax and pk it is easy to teach them in pax on and planet types how to defend
also the key to survival on pk servers never piss off the top corps
Yes I have been burned by new players but the good overrides the bad

What I would suggest is list a group of volunteers that are new user friendly to help in learing building a col defending it and learning how to keep from bein podded in pk servers while offline
some of the pk fighters should start a fight school ( I seen Uzi's) and help teach new players also
I volunteer for al the above catagories but the fighting I am just too nice to kill for pleasure like some I know
heheheh

Toonces
grant these volunteers mod status on beginner servers to teach
if they don't do what is right then replace them with someone else

ArdRhys4

Post by ArdRhys4 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:25 pm

If this were implemented, I would volunteer as teacher. Probably building. It is hard to explain how to invade to a newbie, every time I try. It takes them weeks to learn:(

akito

Post by akito » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:21 am

Catfish wrote:
McGrod wrote:I think if someone has that little spine or intelligence its a good thing he did not stick around.
QFT
yee haw natural selection ftw!

0zzy
Location: P1, 11th, a new hope, BR, DF, P3, Pegasus Cluster, your mothers room.

Post by 0zzy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:37 pm

the kinda language ur using like " colonies " , " servers " , " PK" isn't the kinda stuff some mega noob thats been playing for barely 5 days wud know of...

I think ur just some random dude who felt like posting this stupid post for no reason and has no intention of quitting starport or already has quit starport.

M2-Destroyer

Post by M2-Destroyer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:13 pm

0zzy wrote:the kinda language ur using like " colonies " , " servers " , " PK" isn't the kinda stuff some mega noob thats been playing for barely 5 days wud know of...

I think ur just some random dude who felt like posting this stupid post for no reason and has no intention of quitting starport or already has quit starport.
Are you a not-so-in-the-closet necropheliac?