Slow Control Responses

Help for new users

Moderators: Moleman, Kwijibo, Luna, Major

Tarvok

Slow Control Responses

Post by Tarvok » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:00 am

I'm posting this here because I'm not sure if it belongs in Engineering or not.

What I mean by "slow control responses" is that I press an arrow key, and the game waits maybe a quarter second or so before my ship responds. I release the key, and the thrust or turn waits a little before it quits. I've got no other programs running, I've tried opening ports in my firewall, and I'm running no antivirus.

I'm running the program through Wine, on a 64 bit Ubuntu setup, 2800 Mhz AMD Sempron 64, Radeon 9200, onboard nVidia sound (K3?), with 3/4 gigs of ram.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:12 am

Have you got a low dexterity score?

I always put 10 dexterity on character creation, to aid in energy regen and for the more responsive controls.

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:31 pm

also, press alt+f and /lag to see if you have a low FPS(frames per second) or if your lagging by haveing significant packet loss or latency

these days my FPS can drop down to the 20s without warning, i should really post that in engineering actually... and way did you try logging out, closing out of the client, relaunching it, and seeing if anything was fixed?

and yea, really low dex, like 0 or 2 or sumthing, is really bad for handling

Tarvok

Post by Tarvok » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:28 pm

Apparently, I'm "averaging" around 20-30 FPS, but smoothness of animation wasn't really the problem. Averaging 96 milliseconds latency, with no packet loss.

I just created a 10 Dex char on this morning's blitzkrieg. While controls feel smoother, I still have an irregular lag between keypress and response (sometimes nearly imperceptible, sometimes as much as a full second). The length of time between... wait a minute. Suddenly it works. Gotta test something...

I'm not sure what happened, but between starting this post and finishing it, I had to do something to Anthy because it was acting up. (Anthy is a program I've been playing around with that enables me to input Japanese characters.) A program like that would intercept keystrokes, so maybe that's what did it. The program is still running, so I don't know why it would have stopped... if that was it. But I suddenly found myself unable to type in 英語, so maybe the two problems were related.

McGrod

Post by McGrod » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:15 am

at a guess then thats the reason :) I would just disable the ship controls from the program.
Out of curiosity is that program freeware?
(I like to play around :p )

Cheesy

Post by Cheesy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:19 pm

Tarvok wrote:Apparently, I'm "averaging" around 20-30 FPS, but smoothness of animation wasn't really the problem. Averaging 96 milliseconds latency, with no packet loss.

I just created a 10 Dex char on this morning's blitzkrieg. While controls feel smoother, I still have an irregular lag between keypress and response (sometimes nearly imperceptible, sometimes as much as a full second). The length of time between... wait a minute. Suddenly it works. Gotta test something...

I'm not sure what happened, but between starting this post and finishing it, I had to do something to Anthy because it was acting up. (Anthy is a program I've been playing around with that enables me to input Japanese characters.) A program like that would intercept keystrokes, so maybe that's what did it. The program is still running, so I don't know why it would have stopped... if that was it. But I suddenly found myself unable to type in 英語, so maybe the two problems were related.
20-30 is low, its supposed to be around 55 to 60, and when my FPS are lower my controls become lagged. running anthy may have both lagged your FPS as well as slowed up the key stroke responses

Tarvok

Post by Tarvok » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:09 am

It was definitely Anthy. It starts up automatically (it's open source, I'm pretty sure) when I start up. My controls were lagging again today. All I had to do was shut down Anthy, and things worked fine.

tekkamanblade

Post by tekkamanblade » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:41 pm

20 to 30 is low according to the system specs he listed, but i peak out around there on my lappy. the guy u are going to want to talk to about ubuntu and wine running starport is 808gage, but he lost the internet while moving between islands on Hawaii and won't be back for like a month.